An Outing of Sorts

For students who are at home, and for adult characters who are not working at any of the places specified in the other forums.
Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: An Outing of Sorts

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 pm

Trinity flinched when he felt a hand on his back and it shocked the breath back into him. He had been back in the Village, replaying everything thing. Every action his parents had made. Every conversation they'd had with him behind closed doors. It was so, so obvious. How had he been so stupid? They had known the whole time. They had know.

The sad smiles of his mother took on a different meaning now. The shadowed looks has father gave when Trin talked about his day made sense. All the secrets glances his parents shared. Everything had been a lie. He had been a lie, something created for the sole purpose of gathering information.

When Trinity recognized the touch, however, it snapped him back to the present. To Lyssa, and Cana, and the Havich family. To Professor Delaney and her tight hugs. To Gabe and his wicked grin. Somehow, without even realizing it, they had become bis family. More family than his parents ever were.

They best thing his parents had done for him was leave him at Hogwarts. He used to hate them so much for it. But it had saved him. It might have taken a few years of loneliness, but it was well worth the price.

Trinity took Lyssa's hand in his, but the moment was broken by a waitress setting down a pot of tea and four cups. "Anything from the kitchen, loves?"

Trinity didn't have words, but thankfully Beth did. "Jus' yewr mixed sweets plate, ta." When the woman was gone, the blonde spoke out again. "Ah'm sorry, Trin'ty. Ah didn' mean ta make yew dis upset. Ah just thought yew would want ta know."

"They saved nearly a hun'red people," Charity chimed in. "That oughta count fur somthan."

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:02 am

"Well, what good does that do him?" Lyssa snapped, words out of her mouth before she could even think about it. "They could have saved you without having a child. They could have saved you without putting an innocent boy through all of that torture. They could have but they didn't. They chose that. They chose to let it continue. They may have saved you, and that's a good thing, but it doesn't erase what they did. Or rather what they didn't do," she finished.

She looked over at Trinity and realized she'd bunched her hand up in a fist, gripping the back of his shirt.

"It wasn't your fault. None of it was. Your parents should have never let you go through any of that. My parents...they aren't the best people, but they never would have let us go through that. Ever. And yours should have been better to you, too. You deserve better--every child deserves better."

She turned back to the two girls.

"You two deserved better, too. Don't get me wrong. But it wasn't right for them to burn Trinity for so long to save others from the fire--you have to see that right? You have to."

It was phrased as a command, not as a request, from a person who was clearly comfortable giving such commands. Lyssa wondered idly if this side of her would make Trinity flee screaming, but she doubted it, at least right now.

Someone needed to be a rock right now, and if Lyssa had to harden her heart to others to help him, she would do so gladly. Perhaps it was selfish.

Perhaps she didn't care if it was.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Beth looked at her shoes and Charity turned away, looking out the window. Charity's ears were pink, but Beth was in full on red-faced embarrassment. Trinity's heart went out to them. It wasn't their fault. Lyssa was amazing and powerful, standing up to them like that, standing up for him. But she didn't understand. She hadn't lived there. He had once read a philosophy about how the best course of action was hurting the least amount of people. But there had to be people who were hurt in order to save everyone. He was just in that smaller group.

"Stop," Trinity told Lyssa quietly, placing his hand on her knee. "You can be mad. You can be angry. At my parents, at the Major, at every adult who chose to participate. Don't be mad at them. Okay? Bethany and Charity are... they're like me. We're victims. Victims don't get to be angry at. They didn't know."

The blond finally raised his eyes from the table and looked at Lyssa. She was so pretty and so strong, but she understood what it was like to be a victim. She had just had family there to get her though it. But Bethany, Charity, himself, the other Village kids--they hadn't had anyone. No one to hold them when they dreamed about The Box, no one to explain how life actually worked, no one to love them unconditionally. Trinity had found that with Cana and Lyssa and Professor Delaney, but Charity and Bethany had only themselves.

"No," Charity finally said, "she's right. When we got out... we were so happy. We thought you were gone--dead maybe--and I was jealous. Then the cops came and I was relieved. I was selfish and thought only about what my freedom meant to me."

"We both were," Beth admitted, linking her fingers though Charity's. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't consider what this would do to you, what it would mean. We were real idiots."

That was the time whe the tea and biscuits arrived. Both girls looked suddenly released that the intrusion the went to busy themselves with their drinks.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 pm

That was the problem though wasn't it? They were victims, yes. But who else was left to be mad at? Everyone else was dead. Still, Trinity wanted her to take it easy on them, and she could. Her silent glare at this point should be enough, anyway. And Trinity was looking at her with such hope. She sighed and clutched his hand on her knee, looking away. She could give him this, as much as she didn't want to. It was for the sake of his kindness after all.

One day, he'd figure out he was too good for her, and then where would she be?

Lyssa listened silently to their apologies and nodded to herself where appropriate. She took a scone and put strawberry jam on it with far more ferocity than necessary and ate it in a couple of bites. It was incredibly ill mannered, but it kept her silent.

Finally, staring at the table, she addressed all of them.

"It's not my place to forgive you for anything. But I appreciate you thinking of him. He has me and my family now, if he wants. I hope one day you find that too, if you haven't already."

She grabbed another scone, shaking the tray and plate loudly enough for people to look at her askance from other tables. Lyssa couldn't even manage a care for it. She was angry and ha no one she could justify taking it out on. It was...not a good position for a Havich or a Delaney, if she were honest, though she was trying to be better than her family expected. She sighed and dropped her butter knife, and it clanked loudly upon the plate.

"Is there anything I can to help this?" she asked generally to all three of them, as if there were someone left to beat up or buy off to somehow make this better.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 am

Beth and Charity exchanged looks. They were slightly surprised that their parents had let the two foster siblings date. Especially if Trinity had joined their family when he was eleven. But, of course, both of them had been privy to stranger things and it wasn't technically illegal. Besides, if they had both found someone they loved, then good for them. Finally, Beth spoke out, "We have. Both of us have excellent foster families. And we have each other."

"I'm glad," Trinity said. He was still slightly shooken from the anger that filled Lyssa. She wasn't usually this way. Not even when someone purposely tried to offend her. Perhaps it was best if they continued on their way? "It was so good to see you. To know you both are safe. I--we can meet again, sometime, if you want. It's late, though and we--"

"Yeah," Charity said, "yeah, we get it. Wot's yewr phone number, we'll text yew."

"Oh," Trinity stopped, "oh, I don't have a... phone. I can send you letters?"

"Okay," Beth said with a slight laugh, "what's yewr address?"

Trinity looked at Lyssa. He had no clue what an address was. Or if Hogwarts even had one. "I, uh, have a bird...."

Charity sat forward, her gaze cutting between Lyssa and Trinity. "Trin, wot's yewr favorite telly program?" When he didn't answer, she asked, "Who's yewr favorite band? Favorite movie? Author?"

"Shakespeare," Trinity finally answered, because he was sure most of his favorite authors they would never have heard of.

Beth got a strange look on her face and asked, "Trin, do yew know what a microwave is?"

Again, he looked a Lyssa. Because he didn't. He didn't know what it was. Or what a "telly" was. Or why any of this was important.