Midnight Conversations {Lyssa}

For students who are at home, and for adult characters who are not working at any of the places specified in the other forums.
Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: Midnight Conversations {Lyssa}

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:17 am

Trinity studied Lyssa for a long moment. He made her happy? But... he hadn't done anything to make her happy. She looked at him and it was like... a bee hive in his chest. He couldn't fathom her feeling close to the same way. Not about him. Aside from his past, which he was discovering was not as regulation as he had believed, he was extremely ordinary. And Lyssa... wasn't. She didn't look like she was lying, though.

Shifting, Trinity put his cup down. Was he really about to explain what he had meant? The professor and Mr. Delaney had been kind to him when explaining why his childhood wasn't... normal. And Lyssa was always kind to him, from they day they had met. He still had one of those "pain killer" things she had given him in a vile. It would be okay to tell her... wouldn't it?

"Where Ah... was raised," the boy started slowly, his throat tightening around the words, "there's a... tradition o' sorts. When a man turned twenty, he got to chose a wife." Trinity's head was spinning a bit, so he layed back and gazed up at the dark ceiling above. "Ah was jus' thinking... that if we were there, I would choose you." Not that he wanted Lyssa anywhere near that place. The thought of her even being in the same room as The Box made his stomach turn. "It wouldn't work, though," he mused, more to himself. "There are too many years... someone would take yew away." A man would have to be a fool not to chose Lyssa.

He didn't want to think about someone taking Lyssa from him, though. He knew it was a reality he would have to live with. She would graduate and go off and meet someone who was as kind and beautiful and amazing as she was. And he would still be there for another year. He would have Cana, of course. But Cana had his boyfriend back now. They would be able to do potions and things together and he wouldn't need Trinity anymore.

Trinity through his arm over his face and squeezed his eyes shut. He had to make the thought stop before they hurt too much. Under his breath, the boy started counting in every language he knew. "Een, yksi, un, eins, en, uno, en. Twee, kaksi, deux, zwei, to, dos, två... " Focusing on the languages and the numbers helped to ease the bad thoughts from his brain, and after a few moments, Trinity felt the tightness in his chest start to loosen. It would be alright. He still had several months with Lyssa. Everything would be alright.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:53 am

Lyssa stood firm in the silence, though privately her confidence wavered. What if he wasn't willing to tell her? She'd wait of course, but what if he'd been hurt by her asking? She fidgeted her hands in anxiety, until Trinity finally answered.

It took her a moment to process his words through the pain they were spoken with. Her face morphed into horror without her realizing it.

"They force you and the girls to get married? That's..." she didn't want to say horrifying lest she offend him, but it was. She couldn't imagine having some boy be told he had to marry someone, and him just telling her she had to do so. While she adored Trinity and could see herself perhaps having a life with him one day once they got to know him better, the idea of being forced into a marriage was horrifying. What if Joel had forced her into such an arrangement?

"I would...if I had someone choose me, I would be glad it was you," she settled upon saying, as it was true. "But I couldn't imagine someone else...someone like...the boy who hurt me choosing me. And not getting to say no. That's. That's not right, Trinity."

Cautiously, she reached out and took his hands.

"No one is going to take me away. Not here. Not me. Especially not if I don't want them to. You know what Cana did to Joel and he was only my boyfriend. If a man tried to take me away, he would be dead. Or worse. No one is taking me away from you."

Sighing and pinching the bridge of her nose (the actions of her mother even as she was the vision of her father), she turned to him again to ask further.

"What else was different, Trinity? What else did they make you and the others do?"

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:42 pm

"It really was awful," Trinity agreed, "sometimes the girls would be cryin' 'n all, but no one could do anything." He never wanted to see Lyssa that way. It made his chest feel all tight just thinking about it. He had once tried to stop a wedding, when one of the older girls he had gone to school with was chosen. It hadn't ended up well.

The thought of Cana protecting Lyssa in a way that Trinity hadn't been able to do for others was a comfort to him. There was something in the knowledge that the larger boy would handle it, if Trinity ever did anything to hurt Lyssa. He didn't think he could live with himself, and thankfully--hopefully--he wouldn't have to. Cana was a good friend and would get rid of Trinity quickly if the need ever arrived. Still, that didn't stop the bead of light that had pricked up in his chest at the fact that Lyssa wouldn't mind being married to him. Not that he would ask. He couldn't do that to her.

She said no one would take her away, and he didn't think she was purposefully lying to him, but one day she would meet someone who was worthy of her. And they would become a family together. There would be no room for Trinity and the way he felt about Lyssa in that family.

The blond sat up as Lyssa started asking more questions. He shook his head. "Noth... not much was different. We were all farmers. Livestock 'n wheat 'n veg'ables. It was a..." what was the phrase he had learned? "Closed community. Everything was a lot like Hogwarts, but no magic. Ah took care of the cows, 'cept when I was in school, o' the Box, o' cuffed to the well. That one hadn't been so bad. It gave me time to draw in the dirt. Paper was expensive, so it was used strictly for class work."

He realized he still had more juice so he drank another few sips. Between the fire and the fuzzy feeling in his head, and the late hour, he was getting rather sleepy. He wondered if Lyssa was, too. Reaching over, he grabbed one of the throw blankets from the couch and drug it around her shoulders. "There," he said softly, pleased that he could at least provide that much.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:17 am

Lyssa felt her blood running colder, yet her mind running clearer. As Trinity continued speaking, she began to truly comprehend how Trinity had grown up. A "closed community"? A box? Handcuffs?

He'd been raised in a cult, she thought idly, as he wrapped a blanket around her shoulders.

She wasn't aware of what kind, where it was, or who led it, but it was most certainly a cult. And they'd hurt him. Abused him. Undoubtedly hurt many other innocent people, as well. She felt the glass cracking under her grip and stopped herself before it shattered, leaking wine and blood everywhere. Instead she sat it delicately on the table, idly watching it for a moment as wine droplet seeped from the cracks.

"What do you mean, the box? Or cuffed to the well? What did they do to you?" she tried to keep the anger from her voice, but there was a steely edge to it that she couldn't hide. The desire to find Trinity's former village and raze it to the ground was pounding in her mind.