An Experiment of Experiements (Elwyn and Cana)

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

An Experiment of Experiements (Elwyn and Cana)

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm

One of the perks about being a top student and working to please ones teachers (however he looked down at them in his own mind) was that it was fairly easy to get them to agree to let him use a classroom for himself. Especially if he said it was for extra study and research. Which it was. Sort of. Not the ones they handed out, but it was certainly research.

Of course, it was ON another student, but she wasn't complaining, so why should they?

Still, he was careful.

He had one table set up with cauldron and beakers, a small flame and bottles, odds, ends, stirrers, knives, a complete potioneers kit.
A large armoir in the corner was filled with books, journals, fresh parchment, quills, ink, etc.

One comfy chair was in the middle of the room and it was the one thing that seemed quite out of place.
It was very much there on purpose, however.

Gregory was there, in his worn school-robe, which he wore to protect his clothes when he was working. He felt . . almost nervous, which was unusual for him. This was the first time that he was having a visitor come.
Cana was coming to work with him on their project, but for the first time, Gregory was going to let him in to see his work with the creature, Elwyn.
He would have to tread very carefully. If Cana didn't like what he was doing, or thought he was being cruel, it could mean the end of the partnership right there!

If he did it right, if Cana could see that he was doing the . . girl . . no harm and that she was fine with it - then it would bond them even more and they could get more done.
The trick was . . she didn't KNOW what was being done to her and there was no way around that. Cana had to know that, so that he wouldn't blow the whistle on it.
It was a gamble and Gregory wasn't like his father. He hated a gamble.
He was careful and deliberate.

But sometimes there was nothing to be done. You had to take a risk, in order to possibly gain.

So he paced and tried to regain his calmness and wait for what would come.
And who would come first.

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Re: An Experiment of Experiements (Elwyn and Cana)

Post by Elwyn Wann » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Elwyn knew she was a very pretty girl. She had the right genetics for it. Light skin, light hair, light eyes. She reminded herself of a painting of an angel she had seen once. She didn't really care about her looks, but sometimes they were problematic. Like today.

She had received a love note from Mister Master just thast morning. They had met on the train to Hogwarts at the beginning of the year and he was a swell guy. He'd even given her a chocolate frog recently! The problem was, he had a huge crush on her. He was sweet and all, but she had to fix his thinking before it was too late.

Elwyn already had a boyfriend. At least, he would be her boyfriend--one day. There was some pesky school rule about students and teachers not being able to be in relationships with each other, so he had to hide his desire until she graduated. And he was doing a rather fine job! If Elwyn didn't know better, she would have thought Professor Fynn didn't know she existed at all!

Checking the room number on the note once more, the blonde skid to a stop and threw the door open. "Heeeellllllllooo?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Cana was nervous. Anxiety was an old friend, of course, much like a worn blanket or bedraggled toy. But plain, old fashioned nervousness? Totally new.

One might think Cana's nervousness came from the highly illegal material Cana has concealed upon his person. One would be wrong. While it certainly could get him into quite a significant amount of trouble, he'd found that there was very little in life his family's money couldn't take care of one way or another. It had served him well so far, and gods knew he had done far worse than this.

It also wasn't the fact that he knew they'd eventually have to acquire a test subject. While he hadn't been at Hogwarts long, any high enough concentration of teenagers had to have an least one adventurous stoner who'd be willing to take anything. It was a fact of life in Cana's experience, and he, Gabe, and Bjørn had often manipulated that fact back home.

No. Cana was nervous because of a boy.

No, not like that. In a platonic way.

But the fact of the matter was, that save his cousins and his boyfriend, Cana tended not to get along well with other boys close to his age. Part of it was sheerly because he was ostracized: he looked differently, he acted differently, and he thought differently; that didn't serve the herd mentality well. Part of it was the fear (and reality) that he'd develop crushes, and they'd push him away--which had happened at certain points in his life. And part of is was so few were actually his intellectual equal.

But Gregory seemed oblivious to all of those facts. Not counting the fact Cana was fairly sure Gregory thought he was straight, he also didn't seem to care about Cana's attitude and eccentricities. And he was very, very smart. It was a rare gift. But Cana was very nervous that could change quickly.

He'd donned Muggle clothes for the day: a black, long-sleeved t-shirt for a Muggle band, some dark jeans, and a sturdy pair of worn boots. He'd also brought a bag with lab safety equipment: dragonhide and regular latex gloves, standard plastic lab googles, and some eye wash. Cana also brought some of the tools and equipment he'd used awhile back with Trinity, such as knives, tweezers, and some glass equipment. He was sure that Gregory would be very prepared, but it still didn't hurt to bring your own supply.

He thought headily of the combination that Jobberknoll feathers and the ingredient he had brought.

As he approached the door that Gregory had directed him to in his instructions, he saw a flash of blonde hair...but it certainly wasn't Gregory's. Curiously, he approached the door and opened it all the way, only to be greeted with the unpleasant sight of the girl from the forest. He cringed. Surely she wasn't some secret genius that would help them out somehow? He leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed and staring quizzically at the girl.

"Erm, did I come at the right time?" he asked. He wondered if the younger girl was an....acquaintance of Gregory's. He didn't seem the type from their meetings, but he'd been wrong about guys before. He clutched his bag closer to himself.

If there was anyone who didn't need what he had in his bag, it was Elwyn.

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Unbelievable.

Everytime he and the Elwyn girl crossed paths, he was amazed all over again. She really wasn't putting it on.
Or if she was, she had forgotten how to stop it.

He reminded himself to smile and gestured to the comfy chair. "Miss Elwyn! So glad you could make it. I promise not to keep you long."
Gregory doubted very much that she paid attention to time.
Although she wasn't too late.

"I was just hoping that you might be willing to help me and my . . . friend" The word sounded so juvenile, but he thought it would make the most sense to her. Better than 'associate'. ". . out with something."

"Erm, did I come at the right time?" Cana's voice from the doorway, right on time!

Gregory turned around, more quickly than he'd like - it made him look nervous. "Cana! Yes, you're on time." he walked towards him, hoping the look in his eyes was enough to keep Cana from turning around and leaving. From the look on the taller boy's face, he had encountered Elwyn before. That was both good and bad. Bad, because it would make Cana doubt his sanity. But good, because he might understand better, if he allowed Gregory to explain.

He gestured for Cana to enter the room and stood by to close the door. His partner in crime, as it were, was carrying a bag, closely. Excellent. Gregory approved of coming prepared. Cana might even have had a breathrough of some kind, with the potion!
"Miss Elwyn here has been so kind as to come here today, where I hope she could try a little of my cooking." He raised his eyebrows at Cana. "Not - the MAIN course we're working on, but I know that she has a sweet tooth, as I've given her several things already and she enjoys trying . . anything, as far as I can tell." He hoped Cana was picking up what he was saying.
Gregory turned and smiled at the girl, again, warmly. "You have such an adventurous palate! I admire that."

He gestured to an empty table next to his own worktable. "Help yourself." He told Cana and then he picked up what looked like a lemon drop from a silver tray. He didn't touch it, though, he used long handled tongs and offered it to Elwyn.
"This is my latest candy! It should be tart and a little sweet . .with a little twist."

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:16 am

Mister Master was already there when Elwyn entered the room. He had a whole bunch of shiny things she wanted to play with, but before she could pick any of them up, he distracted her with words. She didn't know what kind of witch he thought she was, but Elwyn wasn't interested in Mister Master, let alone him and his friend. She was a one man kind of woman!

She was about to tell him so, when the "friend" walked in. "Demon! What are you doing here? I didn't think you would be back to collect my soul for a while." Apparently, the Demon was Mister Master's friend, though. Which made a lot of sence! She wondered if he had anything shiny, too.

They were talking about food and measls and stuff, which reminded Elwyn! She had to let Mister Master know that she wasn't attracted to him. Leading someone on was a very bad-- "This is my latest candy! It should be tart and a little sweet . .with a little twist."

"Ooh!' Elwyn popped the thing in her mouth with a grin. She loved the fact that Mister Master kept giving her sugar! Hopefully the candy wouldn't stop when she told him she had an almost-boyfriend. But just in case... perhaps she could wait a bit longer. "Yummy!"

Sucking on the lemon drop--it was so much better than the store bought kind!-- she looked at all the shiny stuff again. "What's this for?" She poked at the syringe, causing it to tilt off kilter a bit. "I've never seen anzyone--amyone... an-ny-one cook with those!" But then, she didn't spend much time in kitchens.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:04 am

Cana raised an eyebrow at Gregory but a smirk started blooming soon enough. Ah, so Elwyn Wann was the adventurous stoner. That made a world full of sense. He nodded to Gregory easily in understanding. Even if the girl wasn't entirely sure what she was getting herself into, he was sure the other boy was careful enough not to kill her. Or at least smart enough to disappear the body. And it was probably for the best for her not to know right now.

"Well far be it from me to keep a girl from her candy," he winked. "In fact, I think soon enough, we might have something even more interesting."

He glared up sharply as Elwyn addressed him.

"What have I told you about calling me that? I hate it," he hissed. "Stop it. I'm not a demon. Who told you I was?" he snapped.

It was ridiculous how sensitive he was being, but the fact that she obviously knew something so personal about him bothered the hell out of him. Who had told her about the incident at Gammla Uppsala? Certainly not his aunt or one of his cousins. Perhaps she'd somehow overheard the other professors? But he doubted they would speak so freely of it. Perhaps she could smell it on him, like some sort of wild animal scenting a predator.

He gripped the strap of his bag close to him and stormed past both Gregory and Elwyn to put his bag and it's contents on the bare part of the table. He pulled out the sharper tools agonizingly slowly. Finally he pulled out a ziploc bag and a handful of vials, each with the same contents in different states.

Flowers. Seed pods. Seeds. Pills.

Datura flowers. Datura seeds and pods. Scopolamine.

Devil's breath.

It could make you forget everything for a time. Completely blank memories. Force a person to tell the truth. Similar effects to unbridled, undiluted Jobberknoll feathers.

It would work. It had to. It was perfect. And they had a perfect test subject that Cana wouldn't miss if anything happened to her.

Keeping his back covering the vials from Elwyn's view, Cana gestured to the lemon drop.

"Ingenious deliver method by the way. Not something I would have thought of. How do you keep the purity with all the added sugars? I've had issues with that in liquids in the past."

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Relief wept over Gregory like a cool breeze, when understanding lit Cana's eyes instantly and he nodded, totally on board.

Excellent.

That meant they could get to work.

The Girl-Creature took the lemon drop without a thought and even with pleasure, so that was good.
He didn't expect much to happen from it. Possibly she would get pleasantly sleepy and suggestible. If that worked, then they could proceed with the real project.

Cana's amiable nature disappeared like the sun behind a very ominous storm cloud at the girls admittedly bizarre comment. As that was Elwyn's normal mode of conversation, Gregory hadn't even given it a moment's thought as he'd put the tongs down.
Something about it very definitely got to Cana, though.

"What have I told you about calling me that? I hate it. Stop it. I'm not a demon. Who told you I was?"

Gregory looked up and stepped forward, braving physical touch as he laid a hand gently on Cana's arm. "Havich, it's just her way. She has a name for me, too. You can deal with it later."
His eyes were already traveling to the items Cana had placed on the counter. Interesting. Gregory's hands fairly twitched with the urge to start working with them.
He picked up a dark blue velvet pouch and carefully emptied the feathers onto the table.

"Ingenious deliver method by the way. Not something I would have thought of. How do you keep the purity with all the added sugars? I've had issues with that in liquids in the past."

Relieved at Cana's return to the matter at hand, Gregory even smiled slightly at him as he said, "Yes, that is a hurdle. In fact, that's what the lemon drops are. I'm trying to see if my latest attempt is any good. It's only a pre-trial. If it works, then we can try it with the real deal. I have been working with different conduits. Citrus actually has done really well at capturing the essence and diluting the sugars. Also - my secret ingredient. I couldn't believe it when I saw how effective it appeared. Of course, today will tell. Is that Devils breath? Genius."

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 pm

The guys were talking about something boring. She didn't know what it was. She heard school-talk and kind of zoned out. Maybe this wasn't a meet up to express their love for her at all! What if it was--gasp!--a homework group? Ekwyn started to feel sick. Ekwyn? No. That wasn't right. Elwyn started to feel sick. That was better.

Unfortunately, she had swallowed the rest if the lemon jorob with her realization and she was now out of candy. She didn't want to interrupt the boys and their talk, so she started searching for the candy bag herself. It had to be around there somewhere, right?

Crawling on her hands and knees, the blonde started searching around. Their wasn't anything near by, but there was a bag not too far off! She scurried over to it and started digging through. Gosh, she was so polite! She didn't even interrupt them to ask. Demon and Mister Master would be so happy that she was able to get the candy herself!

She was going to get candy. And then... a nap....

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Cana let the tension drain a little bit at Gregory's comment. Maybe she couldn't sense what was wrong with him. Maybe she was just...he didn't know. Crazy? Drug-addled? Mildly racist? He couldn't be sure if it weren't any or all of them.

"I just. I don't like it is all," he explained lamely. "She should pick a new nickname," he sulled.

His positive attitude returned at Gregory's comments though. "Brilliant choice. It would be much more stable. And yes. I have a contact who does work in Central and South America. She's a bit pricey but she delivers amazing products. If you ever need anything from the region that you're willing to inform me of, just let me know and I'll order through her. Not that I don't trust you, but she's very picky with her contacts. She'd be quite cross if I just gave it away."

"Now, this, though, is surprisingly easy to get ahold of. I think she believes it to have even more unsavory uses than what we're already doing," he gestured vaguely towards Elwyn and made a grossed out face. "But better she thinks that than gets a whiff of potentially proprietary research. She's actually bright enough to do something with it. Anyway, I'm under the impression that since this makes you more suggestible and apt to tell the truth, we can potentially manipulate it into forcing the brain to reveal true thoughts and images."

"There are two issues with this though. One being that datura derivatives can also cause more memory loss over long and short term usage. And even worse, it makes the user highly suggestible. But if we can find a way to manipulate those two things out of it, I believe we can effectively use them to mimic the effects of the feathers....hopefully. If not, at least we can maybe get the girl to be quiet for awhile."

Speaking of which....

"Hey!" Cana growled, noticing her digging in his things. "Get out of there!" He couldn't imagine her getting her dirty, crazier-than-him little hands on one of his knives.

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:20 pm

A slow anticipatory excitement was building in Gregory's chest.

More and more gold was coming out of this tentative partnership. Or was it tentative? Both of them seemed to have thrown themselves into this, for the most part. Of course, they each held their secrets fairly close to the vest, but that was just basic wisdom.
He wouldn't expect Cana to divulge his most important secrets, just as he had no intention of doing so either.

He smiled mildly at Cana's compliment and shook his head over the apology about the South American contact. "Of course. I wouldn't expect her to be comfortable with a stranger. It's simply good to know there is a source there, for more exotic ingredients." This was excellent!
One thing Gregory was skilled at was patience. He could wait comfortably until he knew more and was considered to NOT be a stranger to Cana's suppliers.
Either way, he would receive what he needed to work with.

He took Havitch's warning about his contact to heart. That was important to note.

As he nodded absently, he lit the burner under a glass vial and made sure everything appeared ready to use. "I see. Yes, if we could sift out the nasty side effects we would really have something to . . ." He petered off, as a thought bloomed in his mind.
"I wonder if we-"

"Hey! Get out of there!"

Gregory whirled and saw the girl rummaging through Cana's bag. He resisted the urge to smack his own forehead - it was far too slapstick.
"Miss Elwyn!" He hurried over, braced himself and took her by the wrists. He needed to move her to the chair, preferably before Havitch strangled her. "What is it you're looking for?"