Opening Ceremonies (Open to All)

Prof. Arthur V. Kalamack
Headmaster

Opening Ceremonies (Open to All)

Post by Prof. Arthur V. Kalamack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:45 am

Professor Arthur V. Kalamack sat at the center if the Professors’ Table at the front of the Great Hall. He watched as the newest students were called and made their way up to the stool to have the Sorting Hat placed on their heads to be sorted into the House that would be their ‘family’ for their school life, and sometimes beyond. Professor Kalamack was mildly surprised that there wasn’t a hatstall this year. It seemed like every year there was at least one student that the Sorting Hat had difficulties placing. Either through indecisions of its own, or arguments with the wearer. This year, sorting proceeded smoothly and quickly.

Once sorting was done, Professor Kalamack stood up from his place and made his way to the ornate lectern that that was placed in front of the Professors’ table. He waited a moment while the older students welcomed the newer students to their House. After a moment, Professor Kalamack cleared his throat and said loudly, “Greetings to our new students and welcome back to our veteran students. For those of you who don’t know me, I am Professor Arthur Kalamack, the current Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You’ve met Alexander Pennington, our Deputy Headmaster and Head of House of Ravenclaw.” He turned and gestured to a woman at the table behind him and continued, “This is Professor Jade Lisbeth, Head of House of Hufflepuff.” He turned and gestured to another professor, “This is Professor Connor Whittemore, Head of House of Slytherin.” He turned and gestured to one more professor, “And finally, Professor Neville Longbottom, Head of House for Gryffindor.”

Professor Kalamack turned back to the students, “Now, you all have been sorted into your Houses. Your House is like your family for your time at Hogwarts. How you behave and how you do your lessons will not only impact you, but will also impact your House. So, be careful what you do. You never know who’s watching.

“Now, a quick rule or two. Stay away from the Forbidden Forest unless you have permission to go there and are accompanied by a professor or an adult who knows how to deal with the various creatures you’d find there.” Professor Kalamack paused a moment while the new students asked about the Forbidden Forest. After another moment or two he continued, “Using Auto-Answer Quills is strictly forbidden. You’re not going to learn anything if your quill does all the work for you. And lastly, for now, you are not allowed to use magic on each other in the hallways or on school grounds.

“Right, that’s it for now. If there is anything else you need to know, your Heads of House will let you know. I know you are all hungry after such a long journey and important tasks that needed doing. So, with that…” Professor Kalamack waved his wand and the feast appeared on all of the tables, “Let’s feast! Enjoy everybody!”

Lavinia Telly Rae
Fourth Year

Re: Opening Ceremonies (Open to All)

Post by Lavinia Telly Rae » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 am

Lavinia applauded for the final time of the night as Professor Kalamack sat down and everyone turned to their plates.

Usually she tucked right in, but this time she took a moment to look around. That summer had been quite a momentous one for her and everything . . looked a bit different than it ever had before.
She drank in the Great Hall and the students around her, those who were her friends, those who had tried to kill her (usually accidentally) even those she didn't know yet. All came together to form this place that was more home that any other place.

Smiling, she turned to the table in front of her and grabbed a dish of roasted potatoes that were being passed along.
Her plate quickly filled up with roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, gravy and green beans.

Lavinia shoveled some in, closing her eyes and once again blessing the house elves for their incredible skills with cooking!

She opened her eyes, swallowed and grinned as she turned to look at her neighbor. Genially elbowing them, she said, "Another year, eh? I could hardly wait to come back! I think i finally am at the stage where I have to get lost on purpose here!" She paused before taking another big bite. "What are you looking forward to the most?"

Tobias Hawkins
Fifth Year

Post by Tobias Hawkins » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 am

Tobias fidgeted in his seat through Prof Kalamack's speech. He couldn't believe the time that had flew by. He knew he was still quiet and shy and - well, he had to face it - basically a loner at Hogwarts, which had been a truth at his home to.

The only people he really opened to were the pets, and most of them weren't 'pets' anyway. They were feral barn occupants, like owls, mice, and cats. In fact, his cat Audacious had made more friends had school then he had! Still, he had enjoyed Hogwarts more than he would have anticipated. And he did have a friend - Lavina.

That had been unexpected from the beginning. Her random dropping into his life like a long-lost sister. It was nice to have someone he could talk to - if he really talked to people who were human.

The professor had finished talking and had invited them all to eat. Now, this part of Hogwarts Toby really did like - the food! He was piling chops, roasted veggies and potatoes onto his plate when he overheard a chipper voice call out,

"Another year, eh? I could hardly wait to come back! I think i finally am at the stage where I have to get lost on purpose here! What are you looking forward to the most?"

Toby stopped and then craned around in his seat, "Lavinia?" It felt like he hadn't seen or heard from her in ages!

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 am

It was all so different. The opening ceremonies at her old school had involved some music. Some singing maybe. A bit of light magic and fire archery. Nothing like the Sorting. Morrigan was glad now that her and her siblings got special dispensation to be sorted early as transfers. She couldn't have stood up there with all those tiny first years, her and all her siblings (and cousin) towering over them. It had been disappointing when most of them had been transferred into different Houses. But maybe it would be a good opportunity. It's wasn't as if they hung onto each other so much as Gammla Uppsala, anyway. And with mom there as a Professor, she'd have even more of a sense of home than she'd had before. But something about this welcoming ceremony was sitting wrong with her, and she couldn't place why.

Morrigan looked up as she was elbowed. She listened carefully to the girl, and winced internally. This girl knew Hogwarts well, she could tell. Morrigan on the other hand had had to be guided to the Great Hall early with her mother.

"I supposed just getting to know everyone?" she said without confidence. "I'm a new transfer here. My name is Morrigan. My mom is the new Muggle Studies professor..."

"Um...I've always been good at Runes? I signed up for that here at least. We offered that to all years at my old school."

Morrigan winced a bit as another boy greeted the girl with gusto. Great. That's what was getting to her really. Everyone already knew each other. Where did someone like her fit in? With a dramatic sigh, she went back to her food, poking and prodding miserably.

Lavinia Telly Rae
Fourth Year

Post by Lavinia Telly Rae » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 pm

The girl sitting next to Lavinia was very refined looking.

At least, by Lavinia's standards. She didn't recognize her either. When the girl mentioned being a transfer, Lavinia felt a rush of relief. It wasn't that her memory was THAT bad - the girl hadn't been there last year!
Lavinia smiled at her, then her gaze sharpened. The forkful of roasted potatoes froze on their journey to her mouth as her mind began whirring away.
She did recognize one thing about the girl. The look of loneliness.

Lavinia had always done pretty well on her own, but her first year or so at Hogwarts had stretches of deep loneliness, since she hadn't been confident enough to just step out there and involve herself in activities and things with other students. She had made friends, however. But it could have been smoother. She knew that look and her heart went out to the girl on the bench next to her.

Her eyes widened when the girl mentioned her mother was a professor!

"Lavinia?"
Her head whipped to the side as she looked over her shoulder to the Ravenclaw table. Her favorite voice in the world (aside from Peanut's) had just sounded. Tobias! And he had spoke to her FIRST! Usually he was too shy to begin the conversation. Grinning, she waved him over. He might not come, but her day was made all the same.
"Tobias, hi!"
She turned her smile to Morrigan. "Morrigan, it's a pleasure to know you. I'm Lavinia, third year. That's Tobias. He's shy, but great. Runes, eh? Merlin's beard, you must be smart! I need to figure those out. I like getting lost here. I love finding things in lost corridors and forgotten paintings. But - not when I'm late for class! You'll like it here. It's just a little overwhelming at first. Where were you before?"

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Professor Sebastian Navarro was seated near the end of the professor's table. He watched the opening ceremonies with great interest. As he wasn't originally a Hogwarts student, and he was a new professor, he was new to the ceremonies. He was very interested in how the Sorting Hat worked, but when he found out the original founders of Hogwarts had created it, he was sure he wouldn't be able to ask them how they did it.

He sighed quietly and actually listened when Professor Kalamack introduced the Heads of House. At least he wouldn't embarrass himself when he he ran into his fellow professors in the halls or on the ground. Things were different here. And since he came here and asked for a job, he would have get used to the differences and try to fit in.

When the Headmaster invited everybody to feast, Sebastian looked at the food that had appeared on the table before him. Things were very different here. Sebastian was used to Italian food from home and very different food when he attended Durmstang. He wasn't sure why his parent had sent him there when Hogwarts was closer, but it was their choice.

He sighed, "I'm going to miss my mother's food." He shrugged and muttered, "If it all goes wrong, I'll just blame Dave." He studied the food, trying to decide what to taste first as most of the students just dug in.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 am

Jetta was questioning her life choices. She'd wanted a change for awhile, honestly. And she knew the kids could use some time away from her father to--

become functional human beings with personalities of their own

--well, become more independent.

And she knew her nephew could use a new environment to keep him from--

performing blood magic and nearly getting someone killed

--falling in with the wrong crowd.

But part of her missed her old job already. She'd miss the feelings of power; the control over her environment. Children were wily beast, and while she loved them, she also had only ever taught as a guest lecturer before. Sure, her lectures were impressive enough to get this position, but would her classroom management be on point? These were the questions that haunted her.

Well, maybe not as much as whether or not this was good for her kids and nephew. Or how much she would miss her husband while teaching here. But still. She had other priorities now apparently.

She heard the other new professor nearby, muttering something about the food. Jetta couldn't help but agree. She was sure the food was fine, but food cooked by House Elves was very different than food cooked by a hired chef. And Jetta was used to the latter. She looked over and gave an awkward smile at her fellow new professor.

"Wondering about the food? I'm not entirely sure of it myself...."

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:20 am

Sebastian heard from nearby Wondering about the food? I'm not entirely sure of it myself.... He looked over at his fellow professor and chuckled a little. "Oh, i'm sure the food is just fine. The children seem to be enjoying it." He sighed a little, "I wasn't even aware the food was cooked by the House Elves. I was just missing the vibrant flavors of the meals back home."

He gestured to the food, "This all looks delicious, but from some of my limited experience, British food is a bit...bland." He smiled a little, "I'm a bit tempted to write home for some of my family's special seasonings, but I don't want to offend the House Elves." Sebastian shrugged, "I should have been more adventurous in my culinary adventures when I was visiting London over the summer."

Sebastian turned to the professor and offered his hand, "I'm Professor Sebastian Navarro. Ari if you prefer. I was told ages ago that Sebastian is a mouthful." He laughed a little, "Though, it would be for a five year old."

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 am

Jetta nodded at Ari.

"Pleasure to meet you. Jetta Delaney. I'm the new Muggle Studies professor here. I'm not bothered by Sebastian, though I will call you Ari if that's what you prefer."

She smiled a bit.

"I suppose I have no room to talk for blandness. I've been told Norwegian food is not terribly pleasant in some ways. Though at least we use salt," she joked. "Imagine: the English conquered the world for spices, and now they barely use them. Such a shame."

Jetta looked way from him for a moment to search the crowds for her children and nephew. All seemed to be in various levels of enjoyment or company at their various tables. Morrigan seemed to have taken up a conversation, as has Lyssa and Dahlia. The boys seemed....less congenial at the moment, though she wasn't particularly surprised. She sighed.

"Sorry," she explained. "I'm just...I brought my children and one of my nephews with me. I'm a bit concerned with how they'll fare in the new environment. Especially the older ones who've been at a different school their whole lives...."

She idly wondered if she were the only professor here with her own children. That would be something to ask around about. It would be nice to commiserate about the highs and lows of parenthood with someone who knew what they were talking about.

Tobias Hawkins
Fifth Year

Post by Tobias Hawkins » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Tobias watched Lavinia spin around in her seat and drop her potatoes in the process. He was surprised the Lavy managed to get anywhere the amount of jumping around and spinning around she did, but he had to admit, after three years, he was growing to like it.

"Tobias, hi!" She said cheerily, waving enthusiastically, offering him a seat at the table Hufflepuff table apparently.

Toby rose hesitantly and kind of hung between the two tables for a few moments unsure of what to do.

He overheard Lavinia speaking again, "...That's Tobias. He's shy, but great. Runes, eh? Merlin's beard, you must be smart! I need..." He turned away again. Maybe he wasn't as hungry as he thought and he could just go back to the common room...but then Lavy would be disappointed...

Toby sighed and walked over to her and sat down, trying to look comfortable and pleasant. He wasn't sure how convincing his performance it was.