Luck Meets Opportunity [Kyani, Gregory, Gabriel]

Ah, the wonderful town of Hogsmeade, open to all students third year and older, professors, and those who no longer attend Hogwarts.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Luck Meets Opportunity [Kyani, Gregory, Gabriel]

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Cana carefully adjusted the duffel bag on his side, gingerly trying not to bump it too much against his hip. He studiously avoided looking at Gregory.

It was probably a stupid idea, in retrospect.

"I'm mentoring her. It's important that she comes along for this," Cana had explained to Gregory. He wasn't sure how much the other boy believed him, but here they were, on their way down to Hogsmeade, with Kyani hidden in a bag. Cana was quite strong, and Kyani was quite light. It wasn't much of an issue to carry her on one arm. Luckily no one had looked in the bag yet, and they were only a few feet from the door to the apothecary.

He reached out and opened the door, letting Gregory precede him into the shop. It was old and very pastoral in a sense, with old wooden beams lined with dried herbs and lines upon lines of glass and ceramic jars filled with more neutral ingredients. Gabe had told him they did have rarer wares, mostly kept in the back of the shop away from prying eyes. Nothing too dark, but expensive and prone to being stolen. As he entered, he felt the door close behind him as if pushed by a wind. The door lock clicked shut and the sign flipped over to closed. It would have been rather unsettling had he not known what was causing it. Or rather, who was causing it.

As he approached the counter, he genuinely smiled. Gabe was looking a bit better since coming to Hogsmeade. Not entirely back in his usually perfect health, but definitely less likely to keel over at any moment. While the shadows under his eyes were still present, the way they watched Cana was all that mattered to him. His hair was less tousled, and he looked like he'd actually remembered to eat recently as well. It made Cana's cold, dead heart warm.

Smiling, Cana gently placed the duffel bag on the floor and placed his hands up.

"I can explain. This is Gregory," he said, gesturing towards the older blond. "We're working on a project together. And this," he magically unzipped the duffel bag with flair. "Is Kyani. There were um...some issues getting her down here without being seen."

He gestured towards Gabe with less confidence than he'd hoped.

"Gregory. Kyani. This is Gabe. My boyfriend," he smiled goofily.

Gabriel Warner
Graduate

Re: Luck Meets Opportunity [Kyani, Gregory, Gabriel]

Post by Gabriel Warner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Gabriel had been expecting Cana to bring friends. The letters had said he had some people he thought he should meet after all. So when Cana only came in with one person, Gabe was slightly confused. He was even more confused that that person was a boy.

Not that Gabe was jealous. But Cana usually formed rivalries rather than friendships with other guys. This one had to be useful in some way, which raised him up in Gabe's estimations. He quickly spelled the shop door closed behind them. It was roughly time for his lunch anyway. Hopping nimbly up on the counter to sit across it, he eyed the duffel bag Cana was carrying. Was it...moving independently?

His eyes slightly widened as Cana unzipped it and a tiny girl came somewhat into view. After Cana introduced both of them, Gabe put his hands dramatically over his heart and smirked.

"It's very sweet of you to bring me ingredients dear, but I assure you, in most families boiling children for potions has gone out of fashion. Very sweet thought though!"

He grinned at Kyani broadly to let her know he wasn't being serious.

Turning to Gregory, he gave a dramatic turn of the hand, a salut turning into a wave. "A pleasure to meet you. Both of you! Cana has told me a little bit about you. Nice to finally put names to faces!" His rounded American accent stood out in Hogsmeade, but he figured that was the least pressing explanation right now.

"I took a gap year to come here to be near Cana," he explained. "And since my other truest love is potions, this shop seemed like a good enough fit. I heard about you working on something, but Cana was very tight lipped about it. Not that I blame him. It's risky enough sending regular correspondence these days."

He took a good look at Kyani, vaguely recognizing her in the back of his mind. Ah well, poor thing probably didn't want the attention. He did grin at her though. She was adorable.

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:27 pm

It was amazing, really.

All one planned to do was go to Hogsmeade, pick up some potions supplies and return. That was all.

But then Cana had divulged the rather intriguing tidbit of information that he was carrying a girl in his duffle bag. Honestly, Gregory had merely nodded at him, as his brain had no place for that info.
He puzzled over it a while, as Cana explained that he was her mentor. Gregory understood, and yet didn't. The facts were clear. First year girl - can't go to Hogsmeade - needs supplies - Cana taking her there.
Good.

But the reality of his potions partner carrying a GIRL in a BAG just floated around in his head, all the way into town. He found himself giving the bag a wide space, not wanting to accidentally bump into it. He decided to ignore it and maybe it would go away. What was Havitch planning to do, anyway? Produce her like a rabbit out of a hat?
He hoped Hazel didn't hear of this (or anyone, for that matter!) because he was NEVER doing that for her!

They approached the shop and Havitch led the way in. It was cozy and warmer than it was outside. It looked like it should look.
Then the door slammed and Gregory's wand was in hand before he could blink. Was this a trap? Why on earth would it be?
He turned back in time to see another man in the store. Havitch let a slightly disheveled girl out of the bag and introduced everyone.

"Gregory. Kyani. This is Gabe. My boyfriend"

Gregory blinked at him, before turning his focus back to the man. He felt ambushed. This wasn't just a supply run. Cana had brought together a meeting. He wished he'd been warned. Quickly, he returned the wand to his robe pocket and surveyed the new player.
He was sitting on the counter by now and had a humorous way of speaking. Not that Gregory found much funny about any of this.

A boyfriend.

The fact that he had never encountered anyone of that persuasion aside, he hated dealing with couples. They made his spine ache. They were tiresome. Still, Cana had not shown signs of any of this up to now, so perhaps he wouldn't let it ruin his intellect.

"A pleasure to meet you. Both of you! Cana has told me a little bit about you. Nice to finally put names to faces!"

Gregory glanced at Cana, barely keeping from scowling. What had he said? It was too late to worry about it. Gregory stepped forwards and held out a firm hand for . . Gabe . . to shake. "How do you do? I can see that this is a day full of surprises." He tried to ignore the girl. There was too much going on. He couldn't stomach her, too.
Something this Gabe had said certainly caught his attention. "It's risky to send owls? Why? Are they being intercepted for some reason?" The thought of some clumsy, stupid run-of-the-mill wizard roughly handling his Ophelia was more than he could stand.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 pm

The combination of the warm air from the duffel, the protective cushioning, and the gentle sway of Cana's stride had practically lulled Kyani to sleep on the walk from the castle to Hogsmeade. Still only being a first year, it was technically against school rules for her to leave the grounds. But what was that saying? It's not illegal unless you get caught.

Kyani didn't know much about this Gregory boy, but she doubted Cana would waste his time with a snitch. She was excited to finally get to meet Gabe and go to a real apothecary. Her mum had hired someone to collect all of Kyani's school things, so she had missed the whole experience. Of course, she'd had no idea how drawn to potions she would become at that point in time.

The girl's eyes popped open as she felt the bag being placed on the ground. Oh, good. They were there. The first thing that greeted Kyani when the bag was unzipped, was a bundle of lavender hanging from a wooden beam. Yes. That felt right somehow. She sat up and took a look around.

"It's very sweet of you to bring me ingredients dear, but I assure you, in most families boiling children for potions has gone out of fashion. Very sweet thought though!" 
The dark, curly haired boy grinning at her didn't quite meet Kyani's expectations of this "Gabe" that Cana was so in love with. But, never being in love before, Kyani couldn't really judge. He just looked so... ordinary.

"I thought you would be taller," the girl interrupted the conversation they were having. It wasn't as if he were short, but he was so... average. Average build. Average looks. He was what Kyani's mother would call "someone who needed a great personality." She supposed his joke showed evidence of that. And, according to Cana, he was incredibly smart.

The blonde to the side was a bit of a looker, but he hadn't glanced at her twice. Kyani felt her nails bite into her palms and forced her fists to relax. He could think whatever he wanted about her size and age. She would just have to prove him wrong. She was good. She deserved to be standing there with them.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Cana snorted at Gabe's bad joke at his family's expense, and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, it was worth a shot. I suppose we can't all be winners."

He calmly noted Gregory putting his wand back in his pocket. He did suppose it was a disservice to the guy not to tell him where they were going, but there were so many things at risk.

"Ah, apologies for not saying anything to you first, Gregory. It's sort of related to the whole owl thing. There are...reasons for people to generally not know Gabe is here." He didn't say more. He mostly trusted Gregory, but there was always an off chance the boy might freak out and tell someone. That was why Cana was busy planting some seeds back at the castle of his own. After all, if Aunt Jetta thought everything was okay now, yet Cana was still despondent, maybe it would even make her somewhat happy to see Gabe again.

Maybe.

A boy could dream.

But meetings like this honestly--meetings with people who had no idea what happened between them--were a good stepping stone to reintroducing Gabe to people like Lyssa and Aunt Jetta and Morrigan and Uncle Roman. People who knew exactly what happened and disapproved wholeheartedly.

Gregory still seemed somewhat stiff as he introduced himself to Gabe. He'd caught an aborted glance back when Gabe had said he knew a bit about each of them. Perhaps that made Gregory uneasy.

"Just a little," he replied smoothly. "I prefer to let people do their own real introductions. And to let actions speak louder than words."

He didn't quite fold himself up into a threatening position, but he did lean against the counter beside where Gabe was sitting. Any look of warning however, was quickly cut short by Cana's snort at Kyani's comment.

"I told you you'd love her," he commented, looking lovingly at Gabe.

Gabriel Warner
Graduate

Post by Gabriel Warner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Gregory was uncomfortable. Kyani was not. Gabe kept his neutral smile plastered on his face and glanced over at Cana. He felt the smile warm and become genuine. He'd missed him so much it pained him to think about.

Gabe reached back and shook Gregory's hand firmly.

"I'm terribly sorry to have to surprise you," he said. "But like Cana said, there are...reasons for me to not be here. But he told me you were working on a project--he didn't tell me what--" which irked him slightly, but meeting this boy now, he could tell exactly why Cana was keeping things under wraps"--but he did tell me it might be useful for us to meet in case you needed anything."

He noted the boy's concern about owls. Perhaps he was sending some interesting correspondences of his own?

"I wouldn't worry too much," Gabe said, but slowly and with concern woven into his voice. "Perhaps we're just being paranoid. But when you work with anything that could be potentially proprietary, you should always be careful. Not that you aren't, of course, I'm sure you are," he added. "But even a letter to a family member can be telling sometimes."

Or perhaps Gabe just had the ability to read into such things. it had been him after all, who'd first noticed Lyssa Delaney's light dimming and brought it to the attention of Cana, Bjørn, Vesper, and Kristian. And only Cana had even believed him at first. It broke his heart in this one instance to be right, but at least it had ended things before they became worse.

"I hope you can understand our caution," Gabe continued. "We truly are sorry to spring things on you, but it's for safety concerns, not for giggles."

He glanced down at Kyani and grinned as Cana made his proclamation. Oh, he did like this little one. Though blunt honestly could often be a dangerous and unwieldy weapon, it had the potential to be crafted into something much stronger and defter.

"I'm sorry to disrupt your image of me," he said with joking sincerity, hands placed over his heart. "I tried to catch up with Cana, but it wasn't to be. At least it's less of a height difference than what his dear parents have. Poor Mrs. Havich needs a step-ladder," he joked, glancing back at Cana with a smile.

"Actually," he directed towards Kyani. "I have something for you!"

He went behind the counter and grabbed up a...pillow?

"I wasn't sure if you were the stuffed animal type or if you had graduated beyond it, but if you want something else, I'd be glad to make it. When I was young, I used to have terrible nightmares--" have worse ones now "but I hated the taste of Dreamless Sleep or Calming Drought worse than the lack of sleep. If you can't tell," he joked, gesturing towards the permanently affixed dark circles under his eyes. "So I figured out a way to transfer if as a diffusing oil instead. Vapors instead of liquid. Not quite as effective but lasts more smoothly for longer. It absorbs into the fabric and activates when your head hits the pillow. Only needs to be soaked again every few months. Cana didn't say anything about you having them, but at your age, being a first year? The stress is terrible, I'm sure. And take it from me, lack of sleep'll stunt your growth," he smirked and gave her a small wink, before handing her the pillow.

It was a small thing really. Anyone with half a brain, in Gabriel's opinion could have figured out how to make the potion that way, it was just most people...didn't. While he definitely was advanced at a young age, he just often found that most people were satisfied with the status quo and didn't look to make things better or easier. Wizards, he'd found, were exceptionally bad at it. It made him fussy and fidgety. He supposed that was why even after the...incident, Cana's grandfather and father had gone to bat for Cana and Gabe staying together. Both of them were painfully ambitious. It was a perfect match, really, beyond their besotted nature.

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 pm

A deep unease was setting up residence inside him.

This . . thing . . that they kept alluding to yet kept concealed. Gregory felt that it would prudent to know what it was. They might be dragging him into something that could ruin his career! He had to be careful. It was not his plan to ruin any plan of theirs at this time, but he had to think of his own plans, too.
Still - he was equally hesitant about ending things badly with Havitch. There was so much there that was profitable and his odds of finding someone else to work with who was anywhere near his intelligence and capacity was not good.

This was no time for Gregory to lose his skill of patience. This Gabe's handshake was also firm and spoke of a man with considerable determination.
He shook his head. "No, it's alright. The door closing suddenly just startled me. Being wary is often wise and if there is something . . . unsettling that you have gone through, I understand perfectly you're wanting to be sure of me first."
He only wished he was as sure of them. Well, Cana wasn't sure, that was why he had broached this meeting in this way. It was telling, though, that he wanted this partnership to work and saw profitable times with Gregory as well.
That was good.

He didn't want some guy a part of it, though, just because Havitch had a soft spot for him. Cana needed to be of sterner stuff. Aunt Mabel was the most important person in his life and he hadn't dragged her to the school to meet Cana!
Hearing that Havitch had kept their project secret was encouraging. A sign of good faith. That he COULD still be trusted with something, at least.

A higher toned voice spoke and with childish criticism of Gabe. Gregory feared he'd be expected to talk to her. He wondered why on earth -

Gabe brought out a gift for her and began to explain it.

Instantly, Gregory forgot about his concerns and even his distaste for the girl. He looked at her intently. "May I see that? I'll return it to you right away." VAPORIZING potions. Of course! It was an obvious step, but an overlooked one. And Gabe had already figured it out?
Gregory cast another glance at Cana, but this time it was one of revelation. This Gabe was more than just Cana's weakness. He was a talent.
Oh, if Gregory could work with him and learn how to do THIS - it would be worth almost anything they asked. He already knew exactly how he'd use it.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Kyani had ever even thought about potions becoming vapor. But... why not? Almost all liquid could turn into solids and... gas. Why couldn't you treat potions as any other liquid? It was brilliant. And the plush pillow in her hands was one of the most thoughtful things she had ever been given. Gabe hadn't even met her or known who she was and he was concerned about if she was getting enough sleep or had bad dreams. She now understood, at least she thought she did. Cana wasn't with Gabe because he was smooth or attractive. His personality might have had something to do with it, but it was Gabe's mind that drew Cana in. The fact that he thought about things differently. And for someone who had been judged on her looks her whole life, Kyani thought that was wonderful.

And then suddenly the blond oaf--Gregory--was in her face wanting her gift. She knew exactly what kind of person he was, too. He didn't look at her until she had something he wanted. And then he thought he could buddy up to her and she would do whatever he asked? She'd had to deal with buggers like him for a long time and there was no way he was smoothing his way past her, no matter how much he batted his eyelashes. "No," the Slytherin told him, strait and with no other explanation.

With the pillow still in hand, Kyani took several steps closer to Gabe. With him sitting on the counter, he was a lot closer to Cana's height, but she was used to looking up. "Can you use this for other things? Like..." she had to think for a moment, "scarves with pepper-up potion?" If the vapors could be used for more than just sleeping... there would be no telling the kinds of things that could be done with it. "Can you teach me how it's done?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Truly, he felt terrible for not telling Gregory what was going on. But if Gregory knew they'd discovered the secret to spiritual channeling, he might actually want to try it! And after what happened with Gabe, Cana wasn't about to let anyone else nearly kill themselves over something he'd done. But he'd have to play his cards carefully now that Gregory was on edge. it wouldn't do for tensions to bubble over the edge of the cauldron.

Instead he focused his attentions on the other interactions going on.

Cana was grinning like a loon at how sweet Gabriel was being to Kyani. He just knew he'd love his little protege. He watched with fondness as Gabe patiently explained the potion and its effects to Kyani, who was looking at him with wonder. Cana always knew he and Gabe would make great parents, in addition to mentors, and this was just cementing it. That there were likely hundreds of people who would be horrified by the idea of them raising children because of who they were as people (not to count the millions who would be horrified merely because of their sexuality) didn't seem to affect Cana in this moment.

He did start a bit when Greg reached for the pillow, mostly because he was afraid either Gabe or Kyani would remove the hand that was reaching. Kyani had proven quite....feisty, which Cana adored about her. And Gabe. Well, Gabe was Gabe. There was a reason someone like Cana's cousin Bjørn was actually afraid of Gabe.

He leaned quickly off the counter and smiled with mild warning. He said nothing though, waiting to see how things played out. Placing a hand on Gabe's shoulder slowly, he looked over and his smile faltered a moment at the look on his boyfriend's face. Gregory might not know it yet, but he'd just made a big misstep.

"Maybe..." Cana stated diplomatically. "We could teach both of them? It might be good for Gregory to know as well. It might bode well for our project to have this as an option, and you're better at it than I am," he soothed.

Cana felt the imperceptible feeling of Gabe's shoulder relaxing, and internally sighed in relief.

Gabriel Warner
Graduate

Post by Gabriel Warner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Gabe smiled mildly at Gregory.

"I understand, and again, apologies for the secrecy," he stated. But as he gave his gift to Kyani, he watched Gregory carefully. The boy was cool as ice when he need to be, but he seemed excited by the prospects the pillow held. Gabe smirked. His point about wizards kept getting proved over and over again. It wasn't until Greg reached out to access the pillow that Gabe's mouth twitched.

It was imperceptible really, and unless one had known Gabe for as long as Cana had, it would go completely unnoticed. It was the look he got in his eyes when something irritated him. It was the look in his eyes before he killed a bug or a rodent or another pest. It was the look in his eyes when he put someone verbally in their place. It was the look in his eyes before he nearly killed Bjørn.

So of course Cana would recognize it.

He felt the hand on his shoulder and heard Cana's soothing words and felt his tensions drain a bit. Kyani easily putting the older boy in his place helped too.

It wasn't that he couldn't appreciate Gregory's fascination and ambition. He genuinely could, and it made sense as to what kept him and Cana as a team, despite their differences. But the way he'd been willing to steamroll over the child that Cana clearly favored that irked Gabe. This boy would have to get better at reading a room if he wanted to make it as far as he likely did.

Gabe turned back to Kyani and put a hand lightly on her shoulder.

"That is an absolutely brilliant idea! We can try it together. I've worked on it before, but it can always be improved. I'm thinking perhaps no smoke from the ears as a side effect," he waved his hands in front of him dramatically. "Or," he shrugged less dramatically. "Charmed ear muffs. Either could conceivably work. But I would love to teach you. Both of us would," he gestured to Cana. "His sisters don't have much of a mind for potions. Their ambitions lie elsewhere. So it would be very nice to have someone to teach all of this to!"

Hopping down from the counter, he faced Gregory.

"I also suppose that if Cana thinks it will benefit the project, that we can teach you too." It was warmed, but noticeably less warm than it had been with Kyani. "I have the utmost faith in him that he knows what you all will need. But when you inevitably come upon your solution, I want a sliver of credit. Not all of it, obviously, since you're putting in most of the work. Nor do I want money really. Just acknowledgement," he smiled. It would be telling how the blond reacted. He knew Cana would not only give him his acknowledgment, but hang the moon for him if he asked.

"Now," he said, turning back to Kyani and Cana, "does anyone want to see what I've been working on in the backroom?" He grinned and gestured for them all to follow him. Taking the leather apron off the hook by the employees' door and putting it back on, he guided them behind a curtain and to a door for a room that seemed to be in disuse.

Opening it with an overdramatic flourish, he guided them to go inside. The room wasn't large. Just big enough to fit the three of them in with the large, almost person sized table in the middle of the room. Cana had to duck to get through the frame.

"it isn't much, but it's where I've been doing some 'projects' of my own recently. Nothing you don't know about, dear," he directed at Cana. "it's a bit shabby, but prior to this it was merely a place to dry herbs. I found a quicker, easier way to do it in a smaller room--Muggle food dehydrator and a small generator!--and the owner let me have this one for my own purposes."

"So," he directed at Gregory. "I don't expect you to tell me what you're in need of diffusing--especially if it's potentially your own intellectual property--but I do need to have an idea of viscosity and if it's a non-Newtonian liquid."

He grabbed a pair of Muggle black latex gloves from a box nearby. Putting one pair on and passing the rest to the others (and shrinking a pair down for Kyani), he took out a few pieces of equipment. Most of them looked--and were--homemade by himself and Cana when they were younger, and Gabe said as much.

"Do you remember when we asked your dad for the parts to build this one Cana? Your Uncle Roman was almost convinced we were making a pipe bomb," he giggled a bit maniacally.