In nomine Patris {Eric}

Ah, the wonderful town of Hogsmeade, open to all students third year and older, professors, and those who no longer attend Hogwarts.
Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

In nomine Patris {Eric}

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Roman Delaney liked to think of himself as a simple guy. He wasn't really, but in comparison to his wife and her family, it certainly seemed that he was. So when his youngest daughter had innocently brought up his meeting one of her friends who just happened to be a young man, he simply smiled and nodded. He remembered puppy love after all: overly dramatic, awkwardly affectionate, and utterly ridiculous. And the fact that Morrigan was prone to the Havich fits of theatricality undoubtedly made it all worse. So he was curious as to what kind of boy Morrigan found herself liking.

Morrigan meanwhile was in a sort of fluster. She'd spent a couple of hours with her dad in Hogsmeade already for her birthday, but her mind had seemed preoccupied. Her dad didn't even seem offended by this, only grinning lightly anytime she'd apologize for drifting out. She didn't understand why she was so nervous about her dad and Eric meeting. They were only friends after all, a fact which had seemingly almost made her father laugh.

"It's not like that, Dad," she argued.

"Maybe not now," he replied agreeably. "I'll definitely give you that."

Morrigan glared across at her father. While Roman wasn't as tall as Jetta, he was still a rather large man, with broad shoulders and thick limbs. His skin was tanned from years of working outside, and his hair and beard were more than a tad messy and shot through with silver and gray. Brown eyes smiled back at her, laugh lines crinkling around his mouth and cheeks. He'd opted for his usual clothes, forgoing anything Morrigan's mom's money could buy, and instead simply wearing a Muggle outfit of jeans, a plaid shirt, and the leather jacket he was rarely seen without even on warm days.

Everything about Roman screamed fatherly...at least in Morrigan's eyes. She was oblivious to the stares of people around her; not at Roman's Muggle clothes, but rather at things like the scar that ran across his face from being hit with a broken beer bottles as a young man. Or perhaps it was the knuckle tattoos. Roman himself was never sure what drew people's attention, he just knew he didn't radiate the role of simple, affectionate father like he wished he did. Too many mistakes from way back when. Jetta had offered to remove all of them using magic, but he didn't have the heart to erase them.

He almost laughed again when Morrigan jumped a little and looked back quickly as the door to The Three Broomsticks opened. Noticing how his daughter beamed, he smiled and took a sip of his beer as she rushed towards some poor unsuspecting looking boy and ushered him over to the table.

"Eric! You're here!" Morrigan had exclaimed while running to him. "Come on, we're sitting over here."

As they both approached the table, Roman sighed and stood, a hand on his thigh supporting a bad knee. Holding out a work-roughened, tattooed hand, Roman smiled.

"So you're this Eric I've heard about, huh? Nice to meet ya, kiddo," he smiled, American accent making him stand out even more in the town.

Plopping back down in the seat roughly (he really would have to get Jetta to take a look at this knee again), he felt his smile permanently affix to his face as Morrigan fluttered around, gesturing for Eric to sit and join them.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Re: In nomine Patris {Eric}

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Eric enjoyed the walk down to Hogsmeade. It was a bit chilly, but he had dressed in a pink, long sleeved polo and orange jeans. The black cloak was thrown over the outfit to help him brave the cold. It wasn't too bad, yet, but his Gryffindor scarf was tucked into his bag if he needed it later.

The boy found he was, strangely, a bundle of nerves. Not about meeting with Morrigan. If anything, she calmed him a bit. But Eric didn't have the best track record with the Havich family. In fact, he was pretty sure that Morrigsn was the only one out of the lot of them who liked him. So, meeting her dad... it might be a make-it or break-it for their friendship
Eric hadn't thought he was late, but the way Morrgian swarmed him when he entered the Three Broomsticks made him feel as if she thought he wouldn't show up. "Of course I'm here," he said, giving her a quick hug before she drug him over to the occupied table.

The boy didn't know what kind of man he was expecting Morrigan's father to be, but the large, burley American who greeted him was not it. For all his scars and tattoos and leather, he reminded Eric of... someone. He didn't have many memories of his mum before she cleaned herself up for Parliament and the MoM, but the light behind Mr. Delaney's eyes was the same in the few photos Eric had seen of his mother in her youth. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Delany." Why couldn't all his meetings happen this way?

"Oh! Uh, happy birthday, Morrigan. I got..." Eric dug in his bag for a moment, "I hope you dont mind, I didn't wrap it. Wrapping spells and I... we don't get along." From his bag, he pulled out a teddy bear the size of a soda can. It was holding a lollipop and slowly alternating between the different colors of the rainbow. He hoped she wasn't too old for stuffed animals. He'd seen it the last time he was in Hogsmeade and it had made him think of Morrigan.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Morrigan was still beaming from being hugged by Eric when she saw the bear. Her face somehow split into an even bigger grin.

"Oh, I love it!" she exclaimed, grabbing the bear from Eric. Roman privately thought she would have loved anything the boy got her, but he had to admit it was cute. And, he thought gratefully, normal. Despite the boy having an...interesting fashion sense, he seemed unremarkable: a fact that made Roman genuinely pleased. While he used to (and still did to a degree) thrive off of the drama he and Jetta brought together, he wanted his children to have nice, calm relationships. Lyssa, he'd heard with relief, was also interested in a nice, calm boy. And if it was a boy that Cana trusted after what the last one did, he figured the boy (Trinity?) was somewhat trustworthy.

"Um, so," Morrigan started lamely, realizing she should probably direct this conversation. "Eric is a Gryffindor like Lyssa! I don't know if you two have really met yet though?" she directed towards Eric. "You really should. She's great."

"And my dad," she switched gears, "works at Triumph Motorcycles. He does all the cool stuff."

"I gotta admit, it is pretty cool," Roman grinned. "it's a lot like broom engineering, I imagine. I get to design it so it runs smooth and looks good. Can't ask for much more than that."

Occasionally, he also got to help design the paint job and accessories as well, which was the real fun part.

"Used to work with Jetta though--sorry, Professor Delaney," he grinned at his wife's new title. "And her side of the family. That was...interesting."

"You're both a lot more relaxed doing this," Morrigan agreed.

"Yeah and God knows how relaxing teaching is," Roman laughed. "You wouldn't happen to be taking Jetta's class, would you, Eric? Or do you come from non-magical folks? Figured it'd be an easy A if you did. Or, sorry, easy O."

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Eric was relieved Morrogan liked the gift. The last time he had bought something for a girl his age, it had been Primary 4 at a mandatory party for one of the daughters of a politician. And, technically, his mum had bought that one. To say he was rusty was a bit of an understatement.

"I've seen her around," Eric admitted, "but we haven't really talked. We don't have a class together, so there's not much of a conversation starter." If Eric was completely honest, he had forgotten which of the Delaneys she actually was. Lyssa. Alright, then.

When the conversation turned back to Mr. Dalaney, Eric nodded. "I've seen some of those bikes in magazines. They're really wicked. My da was a neurosurgeon before he started his family practice, he's much happier now than he used to be. He and Sophie--ah, Mum, get to have one meal together a day now. I would imagine it's much of the same with you and Professor Delaney? I haven't taken her class, but I like to drop by on some of the free blocks and listen in. She's a good teacher."

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:07 pm

"Well, then perhaps I should arrange a meeting," Morrigan replied to Eric. Lyssa, she'd seen, was so besotted with this tight-lipped new boy that she wouldn't even subconsciously try to steal Eric away. Not that any of the few others had been consciously stolen away either. Just Lyssa was...well, Lyssa. She was taller, prettier, fuller figured, smarter...more everything really than Morrigan. If she hadn't been through so much and survived, Morrigan just might be able to find a touch of hatred in her heart for her eldest sister. Yet she couldn't. She could sit and stew in jealousy, but it would absolutely do her no good. Lyssa was perfect without even wanting to be, so what was the use of fighting it? Still, she couldn't help but think (hope) that Eric wouldn't be smitten with her. The fact that he hadn't already approached her all goggle-eyed was a good start.

Roman couldn't help but think that too. While he adored all of his kids, Lyssa did tend to shine the brightest in others' eyes. Especially for boys. The fact that this kid though seemed firmly interested in Morrigan--even if he didn't know it yet--was a plus one point in Roman's eyes.

"If you come for Yule, you can see a few in person. I've got one, and Professor Delaney has a couple. Sorry to disrupt any scholarly view you might have of her," he grinned.

He nodded at Eric's description of his dad. "Yeah I can certainly imagine family practice is a lot less stressful than brain surgery! Jeez, it's a worthy job and someone has to do it, but damn. I couldn't imagine."

An elderly witch glared over at him for cursing. He grinned and saluted her with his beer bottle, which seemed to anger her only more, as she left the area in a huff.

"And yeah, it's a good set up. Jetta just floos to the apartment we have every night. Sometimes she eats dinner at the castle when she has a lot of grading, but we get to see each other more often than we did, that's for sure."

"it's nice for us too," Morrigan added. "You never got to come up to Gammla Uppsala."

"Ah yeah, they are a bit touchy about us non-magical folk up there," he said perturbed. "Not even a blood purity thing for the most part I don't think. Just makes them uncomfortable about what their own lives could be like if things were different."

He smiled a bit as Eric admitted to sitting in on Jetta's classes. He knew she had it in her. it was healthier for her too, not being so stressed all the time. And apparently, students liked her well enough to actually take more classes from her.

"That's great to hear. She's still new to teaching full time, so she's a bit nervous about things. Don't tell her I told you though," he winked.

"I'll totally tell her," Morrigan replied. "Buy my silence," she giggled.

Roman gave her a fake angry look that was cracked by a smile, and with a growl he reached over and pulled out the clip that was holding her hair up. With a squeak Morrigan reached across the table as her dad played keep away.