Just a Little Snack (OPEN!)

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Just a Little Snack (OPEN!)

Post by Dorian Krueger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:52 am

There were a lot of things about the Hogwarts experience that still baffled Dori even after the past years. Firstly, there was that one tree with the attitude. When you find out magic is real, it sort of follows that there are dragons and unicorns and all manner of ridiculous beasties from the story books but he still couldn't fathom what a tree could ever have occassion to get so riled up about. There were the staircases that moved which seemed like a serious design flaw, and all pictures were actually videos which he just could not wrap his mind around. But there was one thing that never failed to surprise and delight him no matter how long he'd been attending the school, and that was the sheer amount of beautiful delicious food that materialized on the table in front of him at meal time.

Oh yeah. Dori really loved food.

Blessed with a high energy and quick metabolism that his family loved to remind him would one day fail him, Dori didn't necessarily look like the kid you'd expect to be stashing leftovers to eat before bedtime, but here he was, sitting in the nearly empty Great Hall unpacking an entire second dinner from a collection of tupperwares so he could enjoy it all one more time. It wasn't his fault running around exploring the far corners of the castle built up an appetite. The school year had only just started and he had a lot of things to see, portraits to gossip with, the like. Schemes to scheme and pranks to prank. Homework to forget to do. He needed to keep his energy up. He wondered if he could ask the kitchen to make Hot Pockets.

Prof. Cedrych Gwalchmai

Re: Just a Little Snack (OPEN!)

Post by Prof. Cedrych Gwalchmai » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Cedrych arrived late to dinner. Delayed when one of his first year students had burst into his office crying, homesick and unable to find her kitten. A cup of cocoa, some reassuring words, and a locator spell that led them to a ball of fluff, curled up and sleeping under a bench in the third floor corridor had set the girl to rights. But it meant that Cedrych missed his dinner. When he finally arrived in the great hall it was to find it mostly deserted. The head table was completely empty and just a few handfuls of students remained scattered along the four house tables.

About to go to his usual seat on the raised dais, the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor's attention was caught by the activities of one student who was busily spreading out a second dinner before him from a variety of containers. Recognizing the third year Hufflepuff from previous years of teaching, the professor changed his course towards the Hufflepuff table and seated himself across from the lad.

"Mister Krueger, I hope you had a pleasant summer. Might I hope you will be more diligent in the completion of your assignments this year?"

By the time Cedrych had finished the question, a steaming meal had appeared before him. Ah, the perks of being a professor. He had always loved the house elves' cooking when we was a student at Hogwarts, but if you missed the dinner hour you were out of luck unless you knew precisely in which bowl of fruit to find a particular pear. But much to his pleasure, he had discovered that once he was a professor, meals would arrive regardless of the hour. How the house elves knew, he had yet to discover, but he wasn't going to complain. The steak and kidney pie before him still had wisps of steam rising from it and the bowl of cinnamon stewed apples smelled heavenly. But most tempting of all was probably the plate piled high with Welsh cakes.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Dori had, as was prone to happening, just taken a big bite as the professor appeared and began to speak. He supposed he might have noticed the man approaching if he hadn't been so focused on Dinner Part Deux. "Oh aye, shir", he mouthed around the drumstick half in his mouth before taking a second to chew and swallow. He wiped the corner of his mouth with the heel of his hand before continuing. "What bonkers stuff d'ye got in store for us this year? How te win a boxin match wiff a dracula? Mentalll." Someone had told him towards the end of the previous school year that vampires were real things and he still thought the idea of it was completely insane.

"Honestly though, as long as yer not tryin te teach me maths or history nonsense, ye know I'm into it. Dunno when am gonna need te defend from any dark arts but ye better believe am gonna be ready." At this Dori grinned wide and used a spoon to mime something between casting a spell and slashing with a sword before dunking it into a tupperware of gravied mashed potatoes. He was not the best at completing assignments or taking tests, but when half his lessons involve doing magic, he found he was significantly better at paying attention than he was in more mundane classes. And if he missed something, well, there was always someone who took better notes than he did willing to help him out for a favor.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Magic was freaking Kyani out. Sure, it was only the first few days of her first year, and she was sure she would get used to it eventually, but for now, she was stress eating. For someone with the girl's eating habits, this translated roughly into "eating a full helping instead of a half." This also meant that it took her twice as long to eat. Nearly everyone in her "house" had left the table, and the hall was beginning to empty as students trickled this way and that.

It was hard on the eleven-year-old, who was already prone to anxiety and panic attacks, to wrap her mind around Hogwarts. It seemed to her, that the building was almost a living thing. It moved on its own accord, things appeared out of nowhere, and everything seemed to breath. Though Kyani was used to hiding her freak-out, she was both ready for and dreading bed. Perhaps that was why she sat there, her hands folded on her lap, staring at the last remains of her meal.

She had been practicing breathing teqnicues, in through your nose, out through your mouth, when a portion of a conversation hit her ears. Dracula? As in vampires? As in hold on to your jugular, because vampires are real? Kyani's stomach quenched and she nearly expelled the dinner she was still trying to digest. Surely it had been a joke. Right? She hoped so.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:55 pm

When the professor didn't answer within the brief range of Dori's focus, the boy used the time if took him to chew and swallow the mouthful of food chipmunked in his cheeks to scan the room. It wasn't that he hadn't noticed the other people in the hall when he'd entered, but rather he'd been so intent on his meal he'd only scanned them long enough to assume he didn't know any of them. Most were focused on eating or reading an open textbook or some such thing, but he did take notice of one younger girl a couple of tables over that seemed to just staring at her mostly empty plate.

"If you're waitin' on more, you're outte luck, lass!" he called to her, assuming her to be patiently waiting for seconds to appear. He'd been disappointed in his first year to learn that although the food seemed to appear from thin air, it was actually prepared elsewhere on a schedule and was not constant and infinite. He waved her over. "Happy te share if yer still hungry though!"

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Kyani was startled from her thoughts as a voice seem to address her. She looked up into the dark eyes of an older boy with almost elf-like features. His brother was just thick enough that she had to concentrate on his words in order to understand him. Even then she thought she had miss heard. He was offering to share his food with her? That was... Nice? Unusual? Gross? Any one of the adjectives could have worked.

"Oh, no thank you," the girl said so softly that if the Hall had been filled her voice would have disappeared the moment it left her lips. She was suddenly aware of how posh her own accent was and felt a blush color her pale cheeks. "I'm finished." She still had several bites left on her plate. Should she offer it to him? Did people do that? "I just... didn't want it to go to waste." That seemed like a good middle ground. He could ask, if he wanted it, she figured.

Though Kyani wasn't very practiced in social interaction, this felt like the beginning of a conversation. It would be awkward to have a conversation with several tables between them, right? And she supposed that since almost everyone else had left she wouldn't be breaking any rules. Swinging her legs over the long bench seat, the only way Kyani could excuse herself from the table without hitching up her skirt, the small girl stood and grabbed her plate.

The raven-haired Slytherin was several inches shorter than most girls her age, which was quite unfortunate for her. Most people mistook her for being a year or two younger than she actually was, and she had no inkling that would stop soon. Making her way over to the other table, she smiled at the boy and the teacher sitting with him. "Hello."

Kyani winced inwardly at herself. That had been a nonsense thing to say. Who said hello after already starting a conversation? Her, apparently. To cover her embarrassment, she quickly added: "Kyani Taylor, First Year." She pressed her lips together and amended, "Slytherin." She had seen how some people reacted to her housemates for whatever reason. The boy was nice, though. She hoped her house didn't effect that.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Dori couldn't help but grin as the younger girl somewhat awkwardly made her way over to join them. He loved meeting new people, and the fact that she seemed to not necessarily be a social butterfly, well, that just made it special. Like he'd won some sort of prize for managing to convince her to continue interacting with him.

"I knew ye had te be," he nodded at her introduction. "A first year I mean. And I Slytherin probably too, from the table at least. No one really minds after meals where ye sit but lots tend te just keep on sittin where they usually do, so ye can usually guess." The Slytherin house especially seemed more prone, to him, to sit exclusively at their own table with other Slytherins, but he kept that to himself. He didn't like to make assumptions based on a person's house - people were just people after all - and he didn't want her to think he was. It wasn't unheard of for some or the Slytherins to make friends in other houses. "Name's Dori, anyway. Hufflepuff. Third year. How are ye likin it all so far? Gettin around alright an' all?"

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 am

"It's nice too meet you," Kyani said softly, glancing quickly at the teacher who seemed to be watching the situation play out. She recognized him vaguely, but couldn't remember what he taught. "The school is huge," she admitted, "I almost got lost yesterday." Each of the hells looked the same, and with the constant movement of the staircases, she had gotten off on the wrong level.

Kyani restrained herself from biting her lip as she set her plate down. She hadn't exactly been invited to sit, but she hadn't been turned away either. The girl scampered onto the bench seat next to the teacher and across from--Dori. It was an unusual name for a boy, but she had heard a lot of unusual names lately and her's wasn't the most common of monikers.

"Magic..." how did she say it without being offensive? "Takes a bit to get used to, don't it? I keep thinking, I'll wake up and this is all a wild dream. Or," she glanced again at the teacher, "they'll figure out I don't belong here and send me... back." She didn't know why she was saying all this to Dori. She had never been this vocal about anything. But, for some reason, he was easy to talk to. That was dangerous. She needed to change to subject. "Did you know that there was a murder-tree?"

Prof. Cedrych Gwalchmai

Post by Prof. Cedrych Gwalchmai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 am

It took some mental gymnastics for Cedrych to decipher what Dorian had said. He snorted slightly at the thought of teaching third years about vampires. Most of the vampire population was relatively well behaved anymore, with the institution of blood banks by the ministry. The vampires tended to keep to themselves and not prey on the unsuspecting. At least in the United Kingdom. No. He preferred to leave that particular lesson until later years, when students were less prone to seeing bogeys around every corner. They did not need a repeat of the garlicking incident. He had been a seventh year himself when it occurred. A pair of students, a year or two younger than him, had thought it would be an excellent prank to sneak into the kitchens. How they had distracted the house elves long enough to liberally dose that night's dinner with enough garlic to fell a vampiric elephant, he did not know. But it had made for a rather...fragrant meal and the smell had lingered about the castle for days afterwards.

Realizing that he was wool-gathering and had failed to respond to Dorian, Cedrych pulled his attention back to the boy in front of him, only to realize that they had been joined by a slight girl who looked barely old enough to be attending Hogwarts. She confirmed herself as a first year when she introduced herself. Cedrych was content to let the two students introduce themselves. It was nice to see the houses getting along, Slytherin had always been a bit stand-offish from the others and he didn't think that was a good thing. More importantly, it meant that the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor had the opportunity to ingest the meal before him while it was still hot.

When Kyani brought up murder trees though, he thought that he should finally join the conversation. "The murder tree you are referring to is known as the Whomping Willow. Legend has it that it was planted over sixty years ago so that a werewolf could attend Hogwarts. Supposedly there is a tunnel beneath it that leads to the Shrieking Shack where the werewolf would transform during each full moon and the Whomping Willow guards its entrance so no unwary students could stumble upon him when he was changed." Cedrych grinned at the students, "At least that's the story my older brother told me when I was a first year. But the Shack has been silent as long as I've been at Hogwarts and I've never heard anyone baying at the moon. So if there ever was a werewolf, I don't think we have to worry about him running about the grounds on the full moon. Though I would advise staying away from the Whomping Willow. That tree is aptly named and is dangerous enough on it's own. Students have been sent to the hospital wing on more than one occasion for trying to get too near it."

Turning to the young Slytherin, Cedrych smiled. "Miss Taylor. I believe you were in my first year Defense Against the Dark Arts class yesterday morning. I'm Professor Gwalchmai in case you forgot. I know learning the castle and your classmates and all the professors, the names can all blur together during your first weeks. But trust me, you'll figure it out. I imagine most first years feel a bit overwhelmed when they get here to begin with. Just give it time. You'll find you belong. Hogwarts has a way of making a place for everyone."

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 am

"The murder tree!" Dori frankly was excited by the revelation that Kyani, too, had not grown up with magic. It was bad enough suddenly finding yourself in this magical world with a million new things to learn and understand just to avoid dying, and it was only made more frustrating be the amount of kids his own and or younger that seemed to know a whole lot more than him. He was never a star student before Hogwarts, but sometimes he felt like he was behind on being behind. "Cannae say ye ever really get used tae all the ridiculousness, but ye stop bein overwhelmed after a bit at least. The surprises stop bein unbelievable and start bein more like...wow, yeah? Wild." He punctuated what he thought was an adequate enough explanation with a bite of potatoes.

"Wouldnae change it for anythin though, love this place," he grinned. "Better that school wid nae magic, much less te be bored about here, yeah?"