Havoc in Diagon Alley [open]

This busy street is where you can find almost anything you could possibly ever need.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Re: Havoc in Diagon Alley [open]

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 am

Cana was starting to worry as the boy fell down into a flop. He looked over at Kristian, concern plastered on his face. If they'd actually done something to him, this would make sense, but he hadn't! For once in his life, Cana had eschewed being a bully to just be merely unpleasant to someone, and he had reacted worse to than if he'd threatened to hit him!

Kristian leaned down as Eric opened his eyes.

"We aren't leaving until we know you are okay. Despite appearances, we aren't going to hurt you."

Kristian was just as confused as Cana. He'd thought Cana had been downright pleasant by his standards. He'd even shown his softer side with their little sisters. Perhaps the claustrophobia suspicion had been correct. Kristian grabbed Eric's hand to pull him up and steadied him in case he was about to fall.

"There, there," he said lamely. "Let's get you sitting down and getting some ice cream. Ice cream will help."

"Yeah, it always helps!" declared Sable from where Kristian had set her. He could see Scarlett nodding furiously from where she'd buried her head in Cana's neck crook.

As the directed Eric towards a seat, a waiter approached. They ordered Eric water until he collected himself enough to order for himself, and all proceeded to order. Cana ordered chocolate, Kristian vanilla, and the girls both ordered something that sounds both delicious and like a sugary abomination that Daciana would murder them for. They dug in and watched him carefully for any signs of panic.

As they were doing this, Daciana was approaching them, Sophie dragged in tow. The woman was giving a bit of resistance, but if Daciana could drag around her daughters (who were already both bigger than her) she could definitely drag a regular adult woman around.

"There they are! At the ice cream shop! Well, that's certainly better than the joe shop. Hmmph," she said, finally releasing the woman and crossing her arms under her considerable chest. "But they'll ruin their appetites for dinner. Oh well, I suppose this is a last hooray for them all together."

Aleksander approached her from behind and brushed her hair behind her ear.

"It really is, my dear. Forgive it this time?" he asked, noticing from the corner of his eyes how pale Eric looked. Perhaps the boys had gone a bit too far. He'd have to talk with them later. He cut through the woman and approached his sons and daughters.

"Hello, my dears. Having a good time?" He ruffled both boys' hair and poked the noses of the two girls, who giggled. "I thought you were planning on getting books?"

Kristian and Cana looked surreptitiously at each other.

"We were, but there were a lot of people," Cana finally said.

"Yes, it seemed to make him uncomfortable," Kristian said gesturing at Eric, innocently AND truthfully for once.

"Yeah," interjected Scarlett. "All we did was went in and he started to get all wide eyed and uncomfortable."

Kristian and Cana sighed. Scarlett was a lot of things, but she rarely ever lied (and never for her brothers). They were exonerated from wrongdoing now at least in their parents eyes. They both looked back at his mother with trepidation.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:30 am

Eric's first response had been to clench away from the older boy's grip, but as he was shepherded towards the ice cream parlor, he found himself greatful for the steady support. He still hadn't fully recovered by the time everyone was ordering, but thery got him a water and he was able to get out a shaky request for lemon ice.

Maybe he was wrong about the blokes. Sure, their dad had sent them off with him and it seemed like they were keeping asn eye on him... But looking back, he had actually been the rude one. His mum would have a fit. Obvously one or more of them were part of the party of students who were transferring to Hogwarts with the new teacher, whoever she was. He hadn't been very welcoming.

Before Eric could give an honest appolagy for his action, the folks arrived. And nearly everyone seemed to chime in about his panic attack. Sophie met his eyes, and he could see the regret in them. That made him feel even worse. She shouldn't have to feel guilty about sending her son off to buy books.

Eric opened his mouth to appolagise again, but his mum cut him off. She always reminded him to keep his sorries to himself if they weren't needed. "I must have mistimed the crowds. Perhaps we should go somewhere less busy. Mrs. Havich already gathered what Cana needed from the apothecary, in that case we can either split up or go to Madam Malkin's." It wasn't that Sophie was excited about spending more time with the Havich family, but she wanted to see first had how awful the boy Eric would be sharing school with truly was.

"My robes from last year fit just fine," Eric reminded his mum around bites of sour and cold. His heartbeat was returning to normal and he could feel a little warmth return to his cheeks. "I have plenty of them, really." In fact, the only difference between his Year Four and Year Three robes were half an inch on the hem. He was sure his Year Five ones would be ther same.

"I'm not letting you go in old robe," Sophie told him, "and that's the last on this matter." She looked around at the group finishing their sweets. "Now, are we off?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Cana froze and felt an expression of horror flit across his face. He hated clothes shopping. At his size, he had to be specifically fitted for absolutely everything, down to even t-shirts. It was exhausting, and he couldn't flee far enough from it. Kristian was suddenly glad he wasn't transferring immediately either for much the same reasons. It was miserable being stared at in a robes shop or boutique. They felt like freaks.

But Daciana was nodding and agreeing with Mrs. Brandski.

"Ooh yes! I love magical clothes shops. They're so much more convenient than the ones I'm used to," Daciana gushed with enthusiasm. The boys could tell it was a put-on. Daciana did love magical shops for convenience, but had long gotten used to them being married to their father. She was putting on a stupid, vapid face for some reason. Perhaps it would do them some good to play dumb, recalcitrant jock for awhile.

"Ew, do we have to Mom?" Cana whined, uncharacteristically. "I hate clothes shopping," he added honestly.

Aleksander raised his eyebrows at his son, signaling for him to tone it down a bit. Cana shrugged and pouted, but stood up and followed after his mother, Kristian and the twins in tow.

The shop rightfully wasn't as busy as the bookshop. There were only a handful of kids there; all of which looked up and gaped at Cana, Aleksander, and Kristian. While their father ignored them and masterfully wrangled a tailor over with a flash of a grin, Cana and Kristian looked deeply uncomfortable. Cana fidgeted with his sleeve, as a seamstress approached him and gestured for him to go over to the mirrors.

He felt like a human doll. It was awful. But there were expectations, and he couldn't afford to not live up to them anymore. Not after what happened. He mildly glared over at the smaller Brandski boy next to him, who likely didn't have to walk as much on eggshells. Sure, he probably hadn't gotten his significant other possessed by a demon, but it still wasn't fair!

Huffing dramatically, Cana let himself be tailored to the stupid looking robes, as Kristian looked on prepared to step in if his brother got too sassy. Despite a grunt here or a jerk away there, he didn't do as badly as he usually did. Tailors had quit halfway through incredibly expensive orders before because of Cana's dramatics. Kristian, at least, tended to be more patient.

Meanwhile, Daciana had dominated the adult conversation.

"I just genuinely don't understand robes, if I'm honest. So many countries have done away with them, and just gone to Muggle inspired fashion all together for the most part. It just seems overly formal to me. Then again none of the schools I went to had uniforms. Gosh, Alek, could you imagine we wearing a school uniform?"

Alek's eyebrows went up and a badly hidden grin formed.

Cana and Kristian were about to melt into the floor from both embarrassment and complete lack of surprise.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Eric could feel Cana's heavy gaze on him, but tried to remain neutral and normal. He was trying his hardest not to make judgments on the guy. They would be sharing a school, for the next few years at any rate. It wasn't Cana's fault that he was an imposing hulk that made Eric nervous to turn his back. It was geneticists. Obviously, he had gotten his height and build from his father. Like Eric had gotten his da's lighter hair color. It was all genetics. No matter how many times Eric told himself that, though, he still felt a chill in his spine.

The whole walk over to the tailor, Sophie had avoided his eye contact and subtitle questioning. He tried to keep in inconspicuous, reminding her that this was out of their usual order, but she had been content with staying with the family. Eric could only assume it had something to do with work. More so, that it had something to do with work that she couldn't talk about. Or wouldn't, in front of the others. He made a note to question her about it later.

The tailoring job for Eric was rather easy. Most of his measurements were the same as the last two years, save for his height, so he was done before Cana really got started. The boy took the time to really study the family, under the guise of playing with the bolts of fabric. There was a great plaid design in lavender and kelp that Eric wondered if he could get a suit made out of. As he fingered it, he watched the family interact from the corner of his eye. Large families had always fascinated him.

He had always wanted siblings, but he had been a complicated pregnancy and Sophie had been warned against having more children. Adoption wasn't an option, thanks to his mum's criminal record. So they were a little family of three. They made it work, but it always felt a little lonely.

Across the small room, Sophie turned to Daciana, her diplomatic smile playing at her lips. "I remember how unusual it was for me when I started Hogwarts. I wasn't used to the uniform, either," she didn't feel it necessary to mention why, "but I found that there is a solidarity in traditions." There was a bit of a spark in her eyes as she turned from Daciana to Aleksander. "I'm sure you understand traditions. From what I know, you stand firmly in yours. Let us stand in ours."

With a brighter smile, she turned to the girls, "Would you dears like to pick out a ribbon for your hair? It would be on the Ministry's tab, of course." Eric was always impressed with the way his mum could do things like that, as if everyone did it every day. Threaten someone with a smile, and then offer them candy. He'd never manage to pull it off.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Cana was huffy. He had finally been left alone in front of the mirror while the seamstress had run off for something. He looked ridiculous. Robes looked ridiculous. He hated them, he hated this shop, he hated shopping, he hated his new school, and--

Kristian, sensing his brother's darkening mood, wrapped his arms around him from behind and laid his face on Cana's shoulder. It looked weird. It looked really weird. Semi-romantic even, and he could feel the eyes of people on them. Kristian didn't care. He knew how his brother could and would self-destruct if given too much of a chance, and he wasn't about to let that happen.

"Don't cry in front of stupid people," he muttered to Cana in Norwegian. "They don't deserve to see you like that."

"M'not crying," Cana finally muttered back. For someone who was not or was not about to cry though, he certainly was holding tight to Kristian's arms. He knew he couldn't cry or get too upset though, not in front of someone Dad was trying to impress or cajole. It was bad for business. Cana couldn't be bad for business.

Finally, he looked up in the mirror and snorted.

"We look like an engagement photo," he muttered. "Or a pregnancy announcement."

"We look like Dad and Daciana," Kristian snickered.

"Gross," Cana laughed, but made little move to back away. They had always been close to the point that people thought untoward things about both of them. It wasn't their fault they'd been raised as closely as possible though.

Aleksander was keeping a close eye on both his own boys and the other young man. He seemed curious. Panicky. Potentially easy to manipulate. That was interesting. Just as interesting as his mother in many ways. He'd have to keep eyes on both of them. After all, just because she thought she could say no to him and mean it, didn't actually mean anything. It never really did.

Daciana meanwhile had a spark in her eye that she didn't usually get. Verbally sparring with someone was always an interesting feat for her, being a Muggle. She often felt so small compared to her family--not just physically. But give her a battle of wits, and she was on top of it.

"I'm not entire sure what you mean," she said coyly. "If anything we're known for breaking traditions," she smiled. Aleksander smirked down at Sophie.

"Precisely. Everything my father has guided us through has been to innovate and improve. Traditions are boring," he lied, ignoring his family's long history of sacrifice, ritual, and blood magic. "That's why we're carving out a new path and taking the wizarding world along with us." Whether they wanted to come or not, he thought.

The girls quickly distracted both parents with their reactions though. Scarlett was excitedly chirping about getting a new bow, while Sable looked crestfallen. The girl hated having her hair up, but she knew it would be impolite to refuse. Both girls nodded, and wandered off to pick something.

Aleksander grinned at Sophie.

"Hmm, interesting choice," he said, and nothing more. Clearly she was one for sweetness and distraction, but she'd done minimal research. Her confidence might get the better of her eventually. Then Aleksander would see which ways the wind truly turned.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:53 am

Eric had just looked up from the catalogue he had found, trying to find the pricing for the plaid suit with an orange-and-yellow poka-dot shirt (he had found an amazing silk he couldntg take his eyes off of), when Kristian embraced Cana. For a long moment, he thought he was wrong about the boys being brothers. They didn't look very similar, after all. But Kristian looked so much like Mr... whatever his name was. Maybe that was how siblings were? He thought back to the twins clinging to the blokes earlier. They did seem to be a very touchy family.

Except Mr and Mrs Whoever hadn't really touched their children much. Even his mum would link her arm in his or brush his hair out of his face, or give him a tap on the cheek if he said something she thought was funny. Perhaps that was what it was like with larger families. There were more kids, so the parents doted less and the siblings more. If that was the case, then part of him was glad to be an only child. Eric wasn't particularly needy, but he did enjoy physical attention. It was his "receiving love language," as his da's shrink friend told him once.

With the catalogue in hand, Eric tore his eyes away from the boys. He didn't want to be caught staring, is what he told himself. The truth he didn't like to admit, was that he was jealous. Whether the boys were related or not, didn't change the fact that they had a comfortable physical relationship that part of Eric yearned for. He was fifteen and had never been in a relationship of any sort. It would have been paranoid of him to assume they were doing that just to spite him, but he was still unsure of what role they played in their father's plan.

Eric purposefully walked over to his mum who had just seemed to finish a conversation with a rather heavy undertone. He usually didn't like getting involved in the middle of things, but it seemed like a good time for a break. "Mum, remember that suit you said I could get for my birthday?"

Without breaking eye contact with Havich, Sophie smiled. "Of course, dear. Have you found something you like?" Under her breath, she added, "Please tell me it's a solid color."

Eric cleared his throat a little, "Well, it has solid colors in it." He waited as she finally broke eye contact and looked at the swatches he had taken with him. The tension from earlier broke and was replaced with exasperation. Sophie said some not-so-kind things in German. "The dots come in blue and gold or pink and yellow, as well," he offered, knowing it wouldn't help but also relieved that his mum didn't look like she was trying to stair down a dragon anymore.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:38 am

Cana and Kristian finally broke away from each other to wander back near their parents. Just as they arrived, Eric was showing his mother some truly atrocious fabric. Barely hidden, identical grins broke across their faces as they both looked at the face Daciana was making. It was one of mild interest on the outside, but her soul seemed to have departed her body. Aleksander looked about ready to start dying laughing, as he put a hand on his wife's shoulder and looked the other way.

"Well, mom?" Cana asked, grin breaking his face wide, "what do you think?"

"I think," Daciana began delicately. "That if you use that fabric for a lining of a solid color suit, it would be very quirky and intriguing. Maybe even a pocket square?" she asked, clearly begging the gods above to remove this abomination of fashion from her sight. "Sqaure patterns and circular patterns don't....they just don't, dear," she said, patting vaguely at the air beside Eric, while still staring in complete horror at the fabrics.

Kristian had buried his head in the crook of Cana's neck and was literally shaking with laughter at his step-mother. This was the most amazing thing ever. Cana meanwhile was glancing out the corner of his eyes to see how Eric reacted to her criticism. It would be very telling, he knew. He could also tell that his father had likely already sized the boy up and would have an action plan ready to go for him upon heading to Hogwarts.

Upon noticing there was something for them to get into the middle of, the twins rushed back with four bows in their hands.

"Mom, Dad!" Sable exclaimed. "We need to ask you something important!"

"Yeah, which house will Cana be in?" Scarlett demanded. "We wanna get matching bows."

Cana laughed and patted Kristian's head where it still lay on his shoulder. "Hear that? Maybe you should get one too. Support me," he jokingly demanded. "Get bows for all the guys back home to remember me by."

"You've left enough boys with enough memories," Kristian said blithely, ignoring the choked off cry Cana gave and the way Aleksander sharply sucked a laugh in through his nose.

Looking back to his sisters, Cana shrugged. "I know very little about the Hogwarts Houses," he said honestly. "You'd be better off waiting to get something like that later. Unless," he turned to Eric. "What are the Houses like? Maybe I can figure out where I'd end up?"

It was the most direct he'd been to the other boy since meeting him. Perhaps it would give him a better idea of his perceptions of others, and how to manipulate them?

Aleksander, seemingly reading his younger son's plan, nodded.

"Yes, I've only read a little abut each house," he lied. "I do wonder where you and your cousins will each end up. It'll be fascinating to see."

"Well, whatever House you end up in, it'll be a perfect fit," Daciana cooed, pinching her son's face. Cana blushed lightly but still smiled dutifully at his mother. He would miss this when he was at Hogwarts, he knew.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Sophia looked relieved that he was finally getting some fashion advice that wasn't from her, but Eric was disgruntled. He liked squares and circles together. He could hardly openly disagree with a guest, though. Even if technically speaking they weren't his guest, they were a guest to the country.

Eric looked back down at the fabric swatches. Over her son's head, Sophie mouthed a quick "thank you" to the other woman, but Eric ignored it. He had seen photos of her as a teenager, sdhe didn't have room to talk. He supposed that if he could find a solid color that was the same shade of lavender as the plaid, he could have a solid suit with out it being too boring. Perhaps the trousers could be in plaid with the jacket itself a solid color...

He was in the middle of trying to figure out how to add in the dots, when the twins ran up again, ribbons in hand. Eric couldn't help but to grin at their enthusiasm and marvel at Cana's blush. It made him look so... human. All too soon, though, eyes were on him, Sophie giving him an encouraging nod.

"Well, uh," he cleared his throat, "I'm a Gryffindor. Supposedly we're courageous and all that, but I think it's just a nice way of saying loud and reduculas." For the most part, anyway. Eric couldn't think of any time where the Gryffindor dorms were ever completely silent. "Huffelpuffs are kindly, but stubern. And don't get on their bad side. They're as soon to hex you as to stop speaking to you." Wetting his lips, he glanced at Cana. He didn't know to bloke all too well, as of yet, but...

"I would venture you a Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Ravenclaws on average do a lot of, ah, do you know the term 'science projects'? It's a useless but fun way to see how things react. Slytherins are really the go-get-em's of the school. You don't want either bad side, either, but I would say those housed are easier on you when you're forgiven. You might be a slave for a week, but then it's over."

When Eric realized he was rambling, he shrugged a little, "But I'm not the sorting hat, of course."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Daciana smiled a genuine smile back at Sohpie. The poor woman obviously needed some sort of support if her child thought this was a good idea. Cana and Kristian weren't much for the intricacies of fashion, but at least they both could dress themselves well enough alone. Though to be fair, with all the tailoring they needed, it wasn't as if they were truly ever unsupervised with clothing.

Cana meanwhile, listening intently to Eric as he spoke of each house. He didn't say too awfully much about each one, but it didn't seem to be from a lack of knowledge. Rather Eric seemed to dislike the attention being placed on himself. Cana filed that away for further notice. He did huff a bit indignantly at the idea that science projects were useless. Most of what his family did was a science project after all. But the more he listened, the more determined he became.

"Slytherin, I think," Cana said decisively turning to his sisters.

"Wonder what idea from that sentence old you on it," Kristian smirked, still semi-perched on Cana's shoulder.

"Shut up," Cana replied. "Perv." The ferocity of his words was likely tempered by the fact that he'd grinned and leaned back into Kristian's chest.

Kristian cackled again and leaned his head on top of his brother's, where he ruffled Cana's hair with his face.

The girls had excitedly selected the green and silver bows. Scarlett was already putting it up against her hair, while Sable was attempting to dress it up as a bowtie. Aleksander grinned down at his little girls, and the two nearly grown boys in front of him.

He would miss this. The girls not having to bicker over who got piggyback rides. The boys making inappropriate jokes and also making those around them more than vaguely uncomfortable. Daciana cooing over the giant version of herself that was their son.

He'd miss seeing Cana with Gabe, who for his faults, made his son happy.

Sighing, he coughed quickly into his hand so as not to be seen as too sentimental.

"Well," he declared, turning to Sophie, "since you have more experience with this, I'll let you guide us to where we should be next. I defer to your experienced judgment."

And back came the oily smile.

Daciana looked down at the list with enthusiasm she didn't actually feel.

"Hmmm, we have the bookstore still--I'd understand fi you didn't want to go back so soon--, we need to get some general supplies, so maybe a stationery store?" she asked.

Cana perked up a bit. He far preferred shopping for paper and quills than clothing.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Sophie knew of married couples who weren't as open and touchy as the two Havich boys. Or, the Havich boy and the Magnusson boy. Then again, this was England. Most people only showed affection to dogs and horses. She knew that Gammla Uppsala had some archaic tenancies that no one really spoke of, but she was pretty sure that relationships like these weren't encouraged in the school. Which meant they had learned the behavior at home in such a way, that everyone felt comfortable with it.

The woman cleared her throat. "You don't get to pick your house, dear. The sorting hat should do it for you." Quite honestly, she knew all of this should have been explained to them before the summer had finish. Which meant either they hadn't been paying attention or they were playing dumb. The average person would have assumed the first, but Sophie knew that a business man like Havich didn't get anywhere without a few aces tucked away. She was convinced his sons were at least two of them.

"I think stationary sounds like a plan," Sophie said, checking her timepiece. "If we time it just so, we should miss the rush. Eric, go turn in the design for your suit, Bitte." As her son nodded and went off, the woman turned to the Muggle beside her. Placing a hand on Daciana arm, she said in a low voice, "Be grateful you only have to do this twice." Sophie had always voted yes to the question of whether students should be allowed to just pick up a box of supply with everything in it, but the vote always came back short. She didn't like having to spend one of her son's last days of freedom in a place that filled him with anxiety, but there was nothing left for her to do.

Across the room, Eric was talking with one of the attendants. He had found a swatch of paisley that had the same shade of lavender as in the plaid, and replaced the dots with it. The sink would act as an inside liner to the jacket. As he explained the suit he wanted, the attendants' eyes grew wider and wider. He thought the might pop out of the kid's head. "You can do that, yeah?"