Havoc in Diagon Alley [open]

This busy street is where you can find almost anything you could possibly ever need.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Havoc in Diagon Alley [open]

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:25 am

Cana let the sound of soft breathing distract him from his internal thoughts.

He would be going to Hogwarts soon, with his aunt and cousins. Away from Norway. Away from Sweden. Away from Gammla Uppsala. Away from his father and mother and sisters.

Away from Gabe.

And away from Kristian.

Cana rolled over and faced his sleeping best friend on the bed. Kristian had been out for about an hour now. He’d come over last night and they talked till dawn about everything. Well, everything except what had happened between him and Gabe.

It was supposed to have been harmless.

Well, perhaps not harmless.

Harmless to them.

Running a hand through his hair, Cana sighed. Everything had happened so quickly and loudly and much. He still wasn’t entirely sure who had summoned the thing. What mattered was though, that it was summoned. What mattered was that people thought it was him because he was a Havich. What mattered was that despite being sworn to secrecy, everyone at school would know about it. Because Havich, apparently, was a by-name for open secrets of all sorts.

He looked over at Kristian and saw his father’s face.

Saw his father’s hair.

Saw his father’s eyes open and look over at him with concern.

Kristian, just as tall and broad as Cana, struggled to right himself, and blearily put a hand on Cana’s shoulder.

“You’re not going to look any younger with all those worry lines,” he joked with an uncharacteristically somber smile.

“Maybe if I look old enough, I can quit school all together,” Cana replied from beneath the curtain of hair surrounding his face.

“Now, you don’t want that. Who else will adopt all the first years and terrify the ungentlemanly guys at this new place? Someone short? We couldn’t let that happen,” he grinned, and then winced upon realizing he would not be part of that “we.”

Kristian had begged. Pleaded. Even tried to barter with his parents to let him come to Hogwarts with Cana. But they had refused to budge. Kristian was to stay at Gammla Uppsala for the rest of the coming year, until he finished his studies. Then, they said, he was free to go where he might wish to study.

Cana had already caught him looking up apprenticeships in Scotland.

They’d been inseparable since they were kids. Nearly as inseparable as Gabe and Cana, but for entirely different reasons, of course. Cana had known he’d loved Gabe since they set eyes on each other in pre-school. Kristian, however, was like a brother.

Well.

Like.

Knowing that Kristian was willing to follow him where Gabe couldn’t, though was what was getting him through the situation for now. But when he got to Hogwarts, he couldn’t imagine being without both Gabe and Kristian. Bjørn, he’d gotten used to the idea of being without. But those two, he thought would be by his side forever.

And now Gabe was in Bulgaria. And Kristian would be staying here.

He heard his door crack open, and his mother’s head slipped in.

“We have to go, boys. We have to go to that ‘Alley’ place to get your books and robes. Apparently, they can’t just send them here,” she rolled her eyes so hard, Cana thought they might roll out. But Daciana hated Portkeys so he felt he could understand.

Cana and Kristian quickly rolled out of bed and changed into some more presentable, yet solidly Muggle clothes. Taking the stairs quickly, they met Cana’s parents and sisters downstairs. Scarlett and Sable were bickering over something. Mom was straightening Dad’s hair. Kristian quickly got dragged into the scene.

He felt like he might cry.

As if sensing their son’s distress, Daciana and Aleksander immediately swept in and grabbed their son by each arm. His father's grip was a strong contrast to his mother's more delicate hand, but Cana felt a great deal of comfort radiating from both.

“Well, we best be off,” Aleksander said quickly. “I truly do not want to have to get in a British queue. They take those far too seriously.”

“Yes, let’s go dear,” Daciana deflected, with a wave of her hand.

Cana grabbed the Portkey along with his family, and with a flash, all six of them landed in the mouth of Diagon Alley.

Looking around?

Cana was not impressed.

Neither it seemed, was anyone else in his family. It made quite the sight really. Aleksander, seven feet tall in a sold black suit; Daciana wearing one of her signature too-short, too-pink dresses; and all of the children in varying Muggle clothes.

He caught someone looking at them oddly, and he felt himself sneer a bit.

This was going to be an unpleasant year.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Re: Havoc in Diagon Alley [open]

Post by Eric Brandski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Sophia Losse-Brandski gave her husband a peck on the cheek before leaving the house, Eric trailing behind her. Usually, Sam would take the opportunity to come doping with them, but his schedule was full for that day and his first a pointment was in only a few minutes. With a quick "later, Da" Eric shut the door behind him.

Apperating had always given Sophie a sour stomach, so they took the long way to Diagon Alley. Eric never minded, though. He knew how hard it was for his mum to shovel out this time for him and he was always greatful to have it. On the car ride over, they chatted about the summer, the upcoming year. Eric was asked again if he planned to start dating. He replied the same as he did every time: there was no one that struck his fancy.

When they finally reached the Muggle-side entrance to Diagon Alley, Sophie was in the middle of a story about when her translator had a fever and she had to spend her whole trip to the Russian embassy using boched languages and charades. Eric had a superstition that if they were laughing when they entered the Alley, good thing were to come.

This would be a great year.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Cana heard someone laughing and looked over with disdain. How dare someone else be happy when he was miserable. He felt his mother's hand on his arm, stilling him from saying anything rash. Kristian's arm quickly reached around his shoulder to steady him. His dad and sisters, of course, were either completely oblivious or silently thinking the same thing as Cana.

Aleksander was looking with frustration at the list they'd been given by Hogwarts.

"Who names these shops? Hell, who chose this list? Some of these things seem ridiculous."

Daciana glanced over and smiled with oblivious glee. "Ooh, Cana! You can have a cat!"

Everyone else gave a slightly mouth agape stare at Cana's poor mother. Save for Cana himself, of course. She meant well...he just had a bad history with small animals. It was a miracle at all that his family let him have dogs, given his history. He wasn't cruel to animals....Intentionally. They just didn't like him at all, and tended to stress themselves out into an early grave. It was disconcerting.

Aleksander was finally distracted from his list by the laughing family near them. His eyes narrowed.

"That's the woman," he mumbled, "that is trying to block us from starting a new branch here."

"Her specifically?" Daciana asked, skeptically.

"Well, her department," Aleksander explained, running a frustrated hand through golden blond hair. "It's been a nightmare. We didn't even have this much trouble at home, and all the union laws in Norway were quite frustrating to work around."

Cana took a look at her, but he was soon distracted by her son. He seemed blandly happy with his existence at the moment. It infuriated Cana.

He could feel Kristian lay his head on his shoulder.

"Don't. Just. Please don't. Let's try to make this nice. For Scarlett and Sable and your mother at least?" he whispered. Cana felt his fists unclenched. He hadn't even realized they'd bunched up as he glared.

"I wonder if she'd recognize you," Daciana mused. Cana snorted a bit. He loved his mother dearly, but the idea that his father might ever be unnoticeable was ridiculous. There weren't many other seven foot blonds around, at least not today.

"Well," Aleksander mused. "We could find out...."

He strode over on long legs to the poor unsuspecting woman.

"Mrs. Losse-Brandski, am I correct? We haven't been formally introduced, but we know of each other. Aleksander Havich," he introduced, putting a hand out. "We've corresponded over the opening of a new branch of Havich Industries here."

Cana, Kristian, and the girls watched curiously, as Daciana began to wander off past Aleksander and the mother and son pair with the list to start looking for her son's materials.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Eric felt his mum's hand on his shoulder as the fall, blond man approached them. He wasn't unused to his mum being recognized in public. Often times folks, magic and muggle alike, would stop her on the street to shake her hand or have a little chat. It didn't seem too abnormal to Eric, until his mum turned to him. "Love, why don't you run off and get your school books?"

The Gryffindor looked around at the small crowd, his stomach tight. He was pretty sure that so one would try anything out in the open, but a few members of the other party looked rather upset. And dangerous. One of the downsides to his mum's job, was that there were a lot of people who didn't like choices that had been made. Sometimes they thought threats could change them. Eric was about to refuse to leave, when his mum gave him a little push.

Stumbling slightly, Eric moved forward a few steps. He's never felt particularly short, but this crowd dwarfed him. "I'll see you in fifteen minuets," Eric said, more as a warning that he would be waiting than actually letting her know. He didn't like leaving, but his mum had all but given him an order. As he left, he heard his mum's voice follow him down the street.

"Mr. Havich," Sophie said with a tight smile, "I don't usually discuss work matters when not in my office. In fact, I have taken a vacation day to help my son with his preparation." Her hazel eyes cut to the group he was with. Obviously his family. She had heard the stories of what kind of family they were and it made her slightly sick to think of her son alone at school with the bunch of them. She wondered which of them she was currently in the presence of. "I suggest you do the same. Transition can be hard for young boys, as I am sure you know."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Aleksander smiled his sharp wolf's smile. Looking over his shoulder he sharply directed the boys.

"Cana, Kristian. Take the girls and follow after your mother." He focuses his awful grin back on the woman Cana wasn't familiar with. "Mrs. Losse-Brandski. Please. Call me Aleksander. And I'm certain that what I have to say won't take too awfully long. These boys can handle themselves I'm sure. In fact, since my boys are new here, why doesn't your young man show them around a bit," he said, raising his voice so the retreating boy could hear.

Cana and Kristian mades faces of mild horror. They had been hoping to spend the day mostly together, with the girls. Scarlett and Sable growled a bit, clinging to the older boys' hands and glaring at the woman's son. Aleksander merely looked amused and nodded them towards the boy's retreating back. Cana considered a moment. It was a good plan, he supposed, to have them near the son as leverage. He looked Kristian in the eye and they nodded to each other almost simultaneously. Each grabbing a twin's hand (Cana grabbing Scarlett's and Kristian grabbing Sable's), they followed after the young man.

As they walked away they could hear Aleksander, "Now, I just want to discuss what your hesitations are with our new branch, so that I may do what's needed to assuage any doubts! Is it unions? Because we love unions..."

Cana and Kristian flanked the young man and looked down with barely hidden disdain.

"I'm Cana Havich."

"Kristian Magnusson."

"This is Scarlett," Cana said, jerking up his sister's arm. She swatted him hard, until he let her go.

"I can walk on my own," she declared, in Norwegian. "I'm eleven.."

Kristian preemptively released Sable. She had small acrylic nails on. Kristian had learned hard lessons before.

"I'm Sable," she introduced herself to the boy."

"I believe our parents have some sort of business," Cana said, nonchalantly. He was partially omitting the truth. He knew exactly what business they had together.

"Anyway," Kristian interjected. "Where do we find Cana's books? It's so stupid that we couldn't just order them to the house by owl and have more time together," he griped.

Nodding, Cana glared down at the boy, as if expecting him to have all the answers.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Eric had honestly considered pretending he hadn't heard the man and just continuing on to Flourish and Blotts. After all, the Alley was pretty crowded with everyone doing shopping for the up coming year. It would be easy enough for a voice to get mixed up in the rest of them. But he had hesitated half a second, and that was how he'd found himself bookended between two club bouncers and their sisters. Eric ignored the men looming over he but smiled kindly at the girl who addressed him. Surely they were too young to understand what this was.

"It's nice to meet you, Sable. Your English is very good." He added the last part, hoping it would be seen as offensive. Obviously they weren't from the UK. Eric wasn't sure what language the other girl had spoken in, but it wasn't one he had heard before. Granted, he really could only speak a smattering of French and German.

It wasn't that Eric was unused to threats coming his way, it was a risk both of his parents had prepared him for by pumping his head full of defense maneuvers and medical knowledge, but it was the first time he was being held captive by a group of teenagers. He didn't know what to do. Did he run? Did he go along with it? Hail an Auror? As they passed Florean Fortescue's, Eric pointed it out, "They have wicked ice cream, Sable. Maybe you and Scarlett should check it out." At best, the girls would drag their brothers with them, at worse they would at least be far enough not to get hurt if it came to that.

Far behind the group of students, Sophia Losse-Brandski glared at Aleksander Havich. "Mr. Havich," Sophie pressed on, crossing her arms over her charcoal blouse, "you seem to think that I, a single member of a corporate group, has some kind of sway over the rest of said group." A slight wind blew, causing her stylish, brunette bob to blow around her, her eye sparking. "I assure you, that isn't the case. I can also assure you that if anything happens to my son from now until the point your son graduates, I with do my hardest to shut down every branch of your company in any country. Are was clear on that, Mr. Havich?"

Sophie crossed the space between them and even though she was nearly a foot and a half shorter than the other man, she met him toe-to-toe. "Don't forget what they say about a mother bear protecting her cub. I don't care who you are or what you threaten me with, my child so much as gets a paper cut around your son, you will feel my wrath."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Sable grinned a bit and started talking. She had very little idea of the drama that was building behind their backs.

"Thanks! Mom is American, so we learned both since we were little."

Cana and Kristian were glaring. They also learned English in school when they were little. Most Norwegians had perfect English, more or less. But it seemed this guy had very little experience outside his limited world view. They looked at each other over the guy's head and rolled their eyes.

"Oooh, ice cream! Cana, Kristian, I want ice cream!!" Scarlett whined. Cana put a firm grip on her shoulder, as she began off to the store. He glanced around as people started to stare, and he practically growled at them. Scarlett may have been tall for her age, but there was no mistaking her physically for a little girl. People should mind their own business. He stayed stock still as she attempted to pull him towards the store.

"Baby girl, we'll go after we get my books. I'll buy you two things, if you wait."

"Yeah," Kristian interjected. "We'll buy both of you two things. And maybe some candy and soda for later," he added, with a slight desperate edge to his voice. The twins may have been unaware, but their father was definitely expecting them to stay near this boy, and ice cream didn't play into that. Besides, Daciana made homemade ice cream that had to be better than what was at the store. The girls would be far better rewarded for doing what father said, than by running off for a short term victory.

Cana ignored the mildly horrified looks of people around them, and picked Scarlett up like a toddler. She easily wrapped her legs around his midsection and placed her head on his shoulder. She was clearly pouting but seemed to have given up her quest before it became a tantrum. Kristian repeated the action with Sable, but with even more attention, since they were less obviously related.

"Come on then. The bookstore is where?" Cana demanded. "We've been sent on a mission. And it's likely better we finish it quickly, before my mom attempts to get herself a cat under the guise of getting it for me."

Back down the street, Aleksander was rolling in internal glee. He absolutely loved a challenge, and this woman had challenge written all over her. He was very glad that Daciana and the children had wandered off: he especially hated for the twins to see him in business mode. But oh this was going to be fun.

"Oh, do not sell yourself short, my dear," he said, grin still plastered firmly on. "One person can change the world after all, especially when given the proper tools! I was merely curious as to why some of you had so much hesitation! Is there anything I can do to assuage it? As I said, we have unions, we offer excellent healthcare to both wizard and Muggle employees, we have very fair retirement and severance packages. We even try to be sustainable in our harvesting practices. And don't forget being fair trade!" he added with a dazzling smile and a lean down.

He put on a false face of confusion as she continued on.

"My dear lady, I assure you, Cana is a good boy--" ignoring the bullying, the dark magic, the fact that he nearly killed his boyfriend, the disappearing and dying animals, "--and that anything that may completely accidentally happen to your son will be no fault of his. However, let's be realistic," he said, placing his hands passively out in front of him, "it's completely unrealistic for your son to not have even a papercut in the next few years. And I hardly think every spot of falling off a broom or potions accidents can be blamed on my dear boy, despite anything you may have heard or thought."

As Aleksander was reassuring the woman though, Daciana was secretly plotting behind her back.

She had left them to their own devices, passed the bookstore, passed the pet store, and slipped into a very suspicious looking alley. As soon as she found the words "Apothecary", she slipped in and began examining the ingredients. She knew she could do little with most of them on her own, but Cana? Her sweet baby boy was brilliant. With a little of this and a little of that, he could make anyone's life miserable without it ever being traced back to him. Daciana wanted to think the best of the students at Hogwarts..., but form some reason the best of students often didn't like her little prince. She couldn't really figure it out. But, she was going to assure he was not only safe, but was preemptively prepared.

She drew a small booklet out of her purse, where she recorded the ingredients to some truly awful potions. As she collected the ingredients, she hummed a little Indian pop song and plastered her sickly sweet smile on her face.

This was going to be a good year for Cana if it killed someone.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Had Eric really expected his plan to work? Not exactly. If he had been a Ravenclaw, like his mum, he was sure he would have been able to come up with a fool proof plan and escape. Instead, the five of them were drawing all kinds of eyes. Even with the guys loaded down, now carrying the girls, he doubted he could run from them. There would be too many people watching to make a clean get-away. So instead, he lead them to the book shop.

"There you are," he said with a wave of his hand towards the building. He opened the door and walked in keeping it propped slightly for the hulks following him. There was a back room on the ground floor that had a window, if he meandered around a little, he might be able to make his way back to his mum to let her know he was safe.

Flourish and Blotts was packed to the brim and Eric froze in his path. The crowds outside were bearable because he could still see the sky, but inside... His heart felt like it was being crushed inside his chest. There was no free space between any of the bodies. People were pushing and shoving their way from one shelf to the other, trying to collect what they needed. Huge sighs advertised the bundles that had already been created for certain years, but individual books for electives were scattered throughout the store.

Logically, Eric knew the the crowd would provide great cover, but cover didn't work if you died from a panic attack. He spun around and came face-to-chest with one of the boys. He didn't know which. Did it matter? He had to get out of there. Someone bumped into him from behind, sending Eric stumbling forward. He tried to push pas one of the guys, but the other was right there. He couldn't breathe. He couldn't think. Why had his mum made him go in alone? Why did she tell him to go for school books? She could have sent him anywhere!

In a desperate panic, Eric tried to squeeze himself between his two guards. "Let me out. Let me out!"

At the other end of the Alley, Sophie was itching to punch the shark-like grin off Havich's face. Her hands curled and uncurled at her sides. Being Muggleborn, Sophie's first reaction was always physical and hardly ever magical. It usually caught the wizards off guard. She ignorred what he said about his son being a "good boy." She had heard the stories with every other member of the MoM when they had to vote on wether or not to let him come to Hogwarts. Needless to say, she had been against it for many reasons.

"I have said it before in correspondence, and I will say it again to your face. This might be my department, but I am not involved in this matter. I don't get a say in this affair once it leaves my desk. And, Mr. Havich, it has left my desk." It took all her will power not to check him on her way past. "This conversation is over. If you would like to walk with me to collect our children, I would be glad in a change of subject."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 am

Cana and Kristian followed Eric in, the twins feet slapping the door frame as they entered. They both watched with slight confusion as the other boy seemed to work himself into a clear panic attack. They hadn't laid a hand on him! They haven't even threatened him a little! Just given a few gruff directions. Perhaps it was the throng of a crowd that Cana and Kristian could see clearly over. Not liking to be around this many people would make sense.

Cana reached out an arm to steady Eric and keep him from hurting himself.

"Fine!" he said gruffly. "We'll leave and go back to ice cream shop if it bothers you so much. Just calm down!" Cana knew telling someone panicking to calm down was the equivalent of putting a bandaid on a decapitation, but it was all he could think to say to comfort a complete stranger. Practically picking him up in one arm, Cana place Eric on the doorstep of the shop and gave him a light shove back towards the ice cream shop. "Well, looks like you two get your way after all," he mumbled to his sisters.

Kristian was feeling concerned. If this boy was this afraid of Cana without him even doing anything, perhaps he knew what had happened back in Sweden. That just wouldn't do. No one at Hogwarts should know about that. It would absolutely ruin Cana's reputation prematurely. His protective older brother streak surged. He'd have to get Eric in private and find out what he knew.

Meanwhile, Aleksander was feeling a slight sense of annoyance. He wasn't used to things not going his way after a little bit of grease and intimidation. Still there was time. He could always find out who the correct person to grease was after all. There was always someone who'd take to it. Always.

"Of course, ma'am. I'd be glad to go get the children."

He offered her an elbow, without expecting her to take it. Around that time, Daciana rounded the corner, laden with a few shrunken bags.

"Darling! There you are!" she exclaimed, American accent standing out in the crowd. "I bought a few of the things of the list for potions! Where are the children?"

"We were just about to go get them actually. It seems now isn't the time to talk business," he stated with a shark's grin at Sophie.

"Oh, don't let him try to intimidate you," Daciana brushed off, thoughtlessly grabbing the other woman by the arm and attempting to drag her vaguely in the direction of the children. "He's all bark and...well," she grinned devilishly. "He's not nearly as bad as he seems. Now let's go find these silly kids of ours! Before they wander off to the joke shop I heard someone whispering about."

As the women went forward, Aleksander followed behind and considered. He would never ask Cana to hurt a child. But it wouldn't hurt for his son to keep an eye on the Brandski boy. He'd have to discuss it with Cana before he left for Hogwarts. What he wouldn't have given for Magnus and Ophelia to have allowed Kristian to go with Cana. Perhaps he could grease the wheels for a transfer later on in the year. If they let Cana in, certainly Kristian would be allowed.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 am

In a fight-or-die urge, Eric almost bit the hand the grabbed him. Where they trying to stop him from reaching the little bit of freedom he could get while they loomed over him like hyenas? He had never really been rational when the claustrophobia took over. Before he could do anything stupid, he was outside being shoved towards the ice cream parlor. Eric didn't make it that far, though.

Pressing his back against the nearest wall, the boy slid to a crouch. With his hands covering his face, to took a deep breath through his nose and out through his mouth. Again. In. Out. In. Out. A breeze rustled his brown locks just slightly and it helped calm him a bit. He was outside. If he looked up, he would be able to see the sky. Granted, right now, if he looked up he would probably see four faces looking at him like he was a freak. But beyond them, would be the sky.

Eric hated his sudden attacks. Sometimes he would be alright, especially if he had some one he trusted with him. But when he was alone, with people blocking him in like that... The boy stuttered. After rubbing his face, he ran his hands through his hair a few times. It was a little longer than he liked at the moment, but it gave him something to grip. The little bit of pain helped to ground him, and he finally grew calm enough to look up.

From the ground, the family looked even taller. Eric had automatically assumed that both boys were brothers, on account that the blond looked so much like the man who had approached his mum. Now he wondered if he had been wrong. Perhaps they were cousins? It was a strange thing to wonder after a panic attack, but it helped to clear his mind.

"S-sorry," he said, mostly to the girls. He knew that he tended to go into more "freak out" mode than "utter shut down" and knew it could be frightening to watch. He still couldn't bring himself to stand, though. Eric dug his nails into the palms of his hands, praying that that would keep him stable. As a last effort, he said, "You go on. I'll catch up with you."

Only several buildings away, Sophie was being ushered down the cobblestones, her heels clacking at the pace. The shorter woman's height belied her strength, and Sophie was impressed. Even Sam had a hard time dragging her somewhere when she didn't want to go. She was anxious to see her baby, though, so that probably helped. The woman wasn't comfortable with with Havich in the rear, though. She wanted him where she could keep her eye on him. He might be all good talk and friendly business ideas, but the man was a snake. One that now had a foot in a Hogwarts.