Don't you ever tame your demons (Trinity, Gregory, Rowan)

For students who are at home, and for adult characters who are not working at any of the places specified in the other forums.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Don't you ever tame your demons (Trinity, Gregory, Rowan)

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 pm

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash

It hadn't been hard to spot him really. Not with the curse on him. Cana would have thought it would have worn off by now, but apparently his fury had been too strong when casting it. It didn't have much noticeable effect; just made a bland, average looking white boy like Joel stand out in a crowd of other bland white boys he'd been trying to hide in. Getting him separated from the group had taken some finagling, but it wasn't anything Cana wasn't capable of. Besides it wasn't as if Joel was here for them.

He'd come to Wildaway last year for Christmas, all fake smiles and gentlemanly manners. Everyone had loved him. Everyone but Cana, who couldn't--at the time at least--put a finger on his dislike.

Nothing like black eyes and broken bones for a sickening vindication.

Kristian had had wide eyes when Cana had brought him down to the sub basement beneath the wine cellar. Less shock at what Cana had done than shock that Joel had been stupid enough to show up in town looking for Lyssa. They hadn't even dated that long for gods' sake.

"What are we doing with him?" Kristian had asked after only a moment's hesitation.

"Having fun," Cana replied with a wolfish grin. The muffled pleas from where Joel had been tied up and gagged to a chair nearby chimed out, and Cana gave a mildly unhinged laugh.

Kristian considered this for a moment before shrugging and looking over at the table. While there were definitely things he expected (hammer, nails, screwdrivers), there were also a large amount of potions ingredients and equipment.

"Gonna run some tests?"

"How else better to get good data?"

"Fair enough," Kristian shrugged. He idly wished he'd been in town to stop Cana from grabbing Lyssa's ex, but he also wasn't terribly put out by Cana's plans. He remembered that night at Gammla Uppsala, when their cousin had shown up with a black eye and broken shoulder in the boys' dorms. He definitely still hadn't forgiven Joel.

"It also presents us an...opportunity," Cana finally said, still sounding slightly out of sorts. Kristian's hand froze over the hammer. Looking back at his brother with a curious expression, he froze before speaking.

Someone had opened the door.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: Don't you ever tame your demons (Trinity, Gregory, Rowan)

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:00 pm

It wasn't as if Trinity was trying to sneak about, but he hadn't known what else to do. He had never been comfortable around Lyssa. He liked her too much to ever be comfortable. She was beautiful and kind and amazing, and he... wasn't any of those things. It was one of the reasons why he had been seeking Cana out. As Trinity's best friend and Lyssa's cousin, Cana would know how to fix... whatever it was. Trinity wanted to be comfortable around Lyssa the way Cana was comfortable around Gabe.

So, when he had seen the shadow moving towards the kitchen, Trinity had followed. He followed it to the room with all the juice, and then to the door that was cracked open and halfway down the stairs. It made sense that, like Hogwarts, this place would had secret rooms and halls. He had been busy thinking about where else they might be, that he hadn't realized it wasn't just him and the shadow anymore.

Trinity blinked at the group gathered in the small room. Cana and Kristian were standing next to a guy who was tied up. He didn't recognize the guy, but the game was familiar. At least it was to him, which meant it probably wasn't a real game. Trinity didn't like the look in Cana's eyes. He didn't see it often, but remembered it from the second time they had met. The time when C as ma had told him about Lyssa's old boyfriend.

Trinity's stomach turned. "Is that him?" The anger in his voice almost shocked Trinity. Almost. He had decided a long time ago that if he ever met the guy who hurt Lyssa, he would make sure every action was regretted. He didn't want to be a violent person, but, if it came down to it, he would kill for Lyssa if it would make her feel safe.

Walking the rest of the way down the stairs and stopping next to his friends, Trinity studied the bloke with disdain. "Wot is he doing here?"

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 am

Certainly nothing was boring.

But while tensions ran high all over the place and there was much to see and learn, Gregory was going slightly batty. For such a large and impressive place, it was hard to find somewhere to be alone.
Even while he was hunting for asylum, he felt guilty for leaving his sister to fend for herself. WHo knew he'd ever felt any stirring of longing for his own homestead?
The world had surprised him.

He had expected to find his lodging much like being in the dorm rooms at Hogwarts, but it wasn't. During holidays, people expected one to get more INVOLVED. Gregory was finding it hard to read. People kept talking.
FInally, there had come an afternoon where people seemed to have disappeared. There was a herd of giggling girls running around and doing things he suspected they would all rue later.

The boys came and went in pairs or trios and he found himself at last with some time to himself!

For some reason, instead of being able to relax - this unnerved him. It made him think he was being excluded from things that were important. Telling himself that was silly, he began a search for the library. He had been there before, but finding his way in the mansion was taking him back to his first year at Hogwarts, when everyone got lost regularly.
He opened a door that turned out to be a broom cupboard (for sweeping brooms, not traveling ones), a maids room (she tried to flirt with him, but he left, hurriedly) and a room that was completely dark, with all the shades drawn (he had quietly closed the door and retreated). He was at the next attempt and feeling fatalistic.
It opened onto stairs leading down. The cellar, no doubt. He was about to close it as well, when he heard voices. One was familiar. Cana would at least be able to tell him where to find the library.

He started down and then . . .he thought he heard muffled cries. His steps slowed. But they may have heard him already. Best to continue.
Carefully, deliberately, he finished coming down the staircase. He saw. . what looked like a torture scene, but it couldn't be. Cana and . . the one with the religious name. That was .. unexpected.
"Am I interrupting something?" Gregory's eyes darted to the unfamiliar man tied up in the chair. "An unusual yuletide tradition. Forgive the intrusion. I got lost."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Cana looked up idly at the arrival of two more blonds to the party. Trinity he'd actually been debating going to get to join the fun; surely his fury at Joel would be great just from the stories alone. He was also fairly sure the boy wouldn't run and tell everyone.Gregory on the other hand, was rather an unknown quantity. On the one hand, he might attempt to use it as blackmail one day (a known quantity that Cana was at least experienced with), or even run and tell someone so as not to ruin his future by associating with such actions. Still, he seemed more curious than terrified or disgusted, which boded well so far.

He turned back to Trinity with a mildly feral grin.

"Yes. This is him. I think he thought he could slip passed me."

"Foolish really," Kristian said, idly twirling the hammer in the air and then catching it. "Few people can slip passed us even when they don't have a neon sign painted on their backs."

Joel's brow furrowed for a moment, his confusion overtaking his panic.

"I cursed you, dumbass," Cana sighed. "For me to always be aware of your presence. Your stupid, ugly presence."

Joel made an indignant noise and began struggling again against his bonds. Cana smiled a charming smile as he turned back to his...friends? Compatriots? Co-conspirators? He shrugged, as he brought his hand delicately on top of Joel's.

He bent back the young man's fingers until they made a sickening crack.

"Oof. Don't get too excited too early now," Kristian sighed, obviously far too used to Cana acting like this.

"It's our independent variable," Cana blinked innocently.

"You have no control."

"What an awful accusation."

"That's not what I meant and you know it."

Cana barked a laugh at his older brother, as he ignored the two blond boys and approached the table. He began prattling on, mostly to Gregory.

"I was originally going to run more tests on animals, but that seemed too cruel even for me. This just presented itself and seemed too good an opportunity. By the way," he said, popping up his head from the table. "Gregory, Trinity, meet Joel. Joel, meet Gregory and Trinity. Trinity in particular is very put out about your history with dear Lyssa. Possibly not as interested as her father and mother would be--" Joel looked ready to faint at the mention of Jetta and Roman, Sr.--"But still very vested in her well-being."

"Gregory--well, Gregory, how would you like to be in on something I've been working on? I have to admit it was a failure from it's original intent, but I'm discovering it has a variety of uses outside of what was intended."

"Nice way of saying you screwed up," Kristian laughed, wrapping an arm around his brother's shoulder.

"Ah yes, but I screwed up creatively at least."

He took one of the vials and brought it up for everyone, including Joel, to see.

"Originally it was a hangover cure. A gentler one than any potions on the market, and actually sellable to Muggles. Ah well. Turns out what it actually does it overstimulate the vagus nerve. Increased fear response. To like--everything. Very depressing to see in animal trials. Very hilarious, I imagine for human ones. Not that you don't have enough to be worried about," Cana directed at his cousin's ex, a touch of rabidity in his voice.

"I wanted to test it on a human subject and see what sort of responses we'd get. If nothing else it could be very marketable to a military that's not too picky about enhanced interrogation."

Kristian rubbed his forehead as if he was internally debating on stopping Cana, but he aborted his gesture with a shrug.

"I'm in, I suppose. I'm always in."

"Love you, Kristian."

"Love you too, Cana. What about you two?" Kristian asked, only the vaguest, most noncommittal hint of threat in his voice.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 am

It was the sound that caused Trinity to gag as apposed to anything else. That, coupled with the smell of sweat had the blond fighting to stay in the present. His mind kept trying to pull him back in time to a different country, a different secluded area, a different set of bones being broken. He refused to go back there.

This man wasn't his friend. He didn't deserve protection. He hadn't protected others. He had used his strength to hurt people. To hurt Lyssa. Despite all that, he was given an opportunity to survive. An opportunity he had wasted.

Trinity had registered the fact that there was a stillness in the air. A question had been asked. Was he "in"? Well, was he? He knew what his parents would think if they saw him harm an other person. But could someone who used their power to harm and manipulate and bring nasty things into the world really be called a person? He stepped forward and looked into the bloke's eyes. He didn't see anything human there. Just fear and anger. There was no repentance, no acceptance of his wrongdoings.

Flattening the fingers that had been sticking up back to the armrest of the chair, Trinity turned to Cana. "Yeh, okay." He was in. And unfortunately, he could come up with a lot of things for Joel to be afraid of.

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:57 pm

There was an excellent warning system in Gregory's mind. It had saved him on numerous occasions. It kept him from lose-lose situations and away from things that he didn't need.
It was humming strongly inside him now. But it was the hum of something that was too little, too late. He had walked smack into a bear trap.
This WAS the lose-lose situation he feared.

Cana was speaking as though this was another potions experiment, but those didn't generally happen to a person tied up and gagged in a basement, nor were hammers involved.
This was vengeance. And it wasn't his.
He understood vengeance completely, but he preferred it cold and the room was red hot. Like an ember ready to flare.
Cana was in a dangerous frame of mind. His brother would be of no help, that was clear.
Trinity . . that was it. Trinity bothered him the most. He was an unknown variable and he had no idea why he was truly there.

If Gregory made his adieus and left . . he would be saying goodbye to potentially everything Havitch. Cana could shut him out. He'd opened the wrong door.
What he did next would decide . . a lot.
Gregory looked the victim over dispassionately as Cana made his introductions.

Ah. An attack on a sister. That made things a bit more clear. Trinity could still wimp out later, though. He worried about him talking. If this came out later, Gregory's career could be shot. And it would come out. It always did.
Still . . . he thought for a moment.
That potion sounded . . he strolled over to Cana and touched the vial with one long finger. "This has great potential." He strode over to the man who was tied up and looked at him thoughtfully. Leaning down so they were eye to eye, he asked him. "What were you thinking? Acting like a troll is bad behavior at any time. DId you know that women outnumber men? Bad odds. But to tangle with a Havitch sister?" He shook his head. "You're not the smart one in your family, are you?" He stood and pulled out his wand. "Don't worry. You can still be of use to society."

He walked back to Cana and said. "Do you have any equipment down here I can actually use? Some vials, etc. I also recommend stinging nettles."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Cana bounced up and down on his heels like an excited puppy, with a grin that matched a wolf's smile better than it did the childish glee he now wore on his face. Kristian too was smirking, but more out of amusement for the idea of these two boys helping Cana take Joel apart piece by piece. Trinity, while obviously infuriated by Joel's existence, had looked ready to faint when Cana has snapped Joel's fingers. Gregory was much harder to read, but he obviously had his own motivations for doing things. Trinity's blind desire for revenge would be easier to mitigate in the future, Kristian thought. It was too late now to do anything about Gregory.

Well.

Anything that Cana would approve of at this time at least. His brother was better at damage control than heading things off at the pass. That was Kristian's job. He wasn't quite as smart as Cana--he'd long since accepted that--but he was generally better with people and making them do as he wanted. Gregory seemed a tough nut to crack though.

But he had seen the way the other boy had looked at Thyri.

There were always options

"He really was a fool," Kristian finally directed to Trinity and Gregory. "As if Lyssa couldn't have murdered him if she wanted. As if her parents wouldn't have if Cana hadn't taken the initial steps."

"What pray tell," Cana whispered in Norwegian to Joel, "did you ever think happened to Aunt Thorunn's ex-husband?"

Joel's eyes widened and started to tear up. Cana chuckled.

Kristian ruffled his brother's hair. "You know we take being the men of the family very seriously," he said solemnly. Much more than Bjorn and Vesper do," he nodded. "This is our familial duty if we're honest. The gods would be wholeheartedly disappointed in us if we didn't act."

Cana nodded and turned to Gregory with a grin. "I like how you think. I have a lot of extra ingredients in the chest over there," he pointed to an old cedarwood box beside the table. "It should have stinging nettles and anything else that should be needed. We don't have wizard vials but the graduated cylinders should work just as well. You'll have to adjust for Muggle measurement, but it's not difficult."

Kristian stood by Trinity as Cana flitted around trying to show Gregory what they had available. She glanced at Lyssa's admirer.

"You should maybe not let her know you did this," Kristian finally said. "She'll understand. She'll be okay with it. She'll just be disappointed in us for not going to get her to lend a helping hand. But her future is too bright for this. If this gets out, I'll take the fall alone. Money and blue eyes hide a myriad of sins in this world," he grinned wolfishly, looking every bit the son of Aleksander Havich.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm

“No,” Trinity said softly to Kristian, his hands quaking as he clenched them into fits at his side. He looked around the room. Aside from the trash tied to the chair, they all had bright futures and people depending on them. Turning to face the taller blond, he said, “Ah’m the expendable one ‘ere. Yew have family who will need yew. Yew can’t ‘elp anyone from Azkaban. If yew need a fall guy, take me.”

He knew Lyssa and Cana wouldn’t be willing to use him as a scapegoat, but he doubted Kristian would have such loyalties towards him. He was a good guy, Trinity was sure, but they didn’t even know each other. Lyssa and Cana would both move on if Trinity was gone, maybe they would wait for him, who knew. He doubted it. But he knew if one of their family was taken, it would be a hurt that wasn’t easily healed.

Turning back to the scene before him, a cool part of Trinity spouted an idea. Surely, there would be something around here he could use. The boy’s eyes scanned the cellar until they landed on a chest. Perfect. He supposed now as a good time to bring the Box into the real world. It would be too short to have the man lay on his back, but he was sure curling him up would have the same effect. Especially with that fear-juice pumping though him.

“You’ve been a bad boy,” Trinity repeated the would he had heard growing up. They were more for himself than for the room. Cleaning the chest out of sevel old blankets, he continued to repeat to himself, “you know what happens to bad boys. Bad boys get the Box.”

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 am

There was something unsettling at how light and delighted Cana was to show him what he needed. Much like a matre'd, who took real pride in his establishment, offering him the best the house had to offer.
Still, it kept things on the trail Gregory wanted.
He needed to keep things compartmentalized in a way he could handle, understand and control, as much as possible.

However badly this ended, if he was in it, he wanted to do it his way.

That Trinity kid was making him nervous, though. He was acting . . unbalanced. Wanting to place the man in a trunk.
Gregory thought about that as he viewed the array of supplies that Cana had showed to him.
Fine.
"Certainly, place the man in the . . box . .until we're ready for him. Of course, you do realize he'll have to come OUT again in order for the tests to begin, but let him stew awhile. Might make him more . . receptive."
He glanced at the more relaxed looking of the Havitch's. "Have you any citrus readily available?"
He gathered up some basic supplies and brought them closer to the action, setting them on a dusty table. "Cana, could you bring some of those nettles, armadillo bile and . . flobberworm mucus if you have any?" Gregory rolled up his sleeves, careful not to add wrinkles to the fabric.
"Do you require any assistance for the . . er . . box transfer?" He asked Trinity.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue May 14, 2019 2:16 am

Kristian gave an inscrutable look at Trinity as the boy declared he would be willing to take the fall for this. Not a hint of guile or lying. Interesting. While Kristian still felt he would be the safest bet to take the fall--money spoke with a powerful, whispering insistence after all--Trinity's willingness to do spoke volumes to how he felt about Lyssa. And Kristian considered it for a moment. Only for a moment, though, as the look in Cana's eyes was beginning to imply there might not be much left for the police and aurors to actually discover once he was done.

He smiled softly. His brother had a manic energy when he was like this. It was disturbing and likely unsafe, but his smile had become so rare since last seeing him that Kristian couldn't help but forgive his brother's more murderous tendencies. Asides, he hadn't heard anything of scandal coming out of Hogwarts; obviously Cana had been very pent up the entire time he was there.

Kristian knew exactly how exhausting it could be pretending to be a person.

Cana was bringing things to Gregory upon request when he heard Trinity's voice change. His words rang in his ears, sending a sick thrill up Cana's spine. As much as he was curious and horrified about the implications of where Trinity could have gotten this from, the thought of Trinity fully investing in this venture to the level he was made him so excited he almost released a squeal.

Joel had begun to squirm violently upon Trinity's proclamation. As Cana stomped over to the chair to pull hm nearer to the chest for Trinity, he gave a vicious grin and grabbed Joel harshly by the face. Jerking his head to look eye to eye with Cana, the dark haired young man in a sea of blonds put on a false sing-song voice.

"If you don't stop squirming, I'll get Gabriel down here...." he trailed off, watching Joel suddenly go still in horror.

"Oh, he knows your little avenging angel well," Kristian laughed, hollowly. Truth be told, Gabe freaked him out a bit. He was good for Cana. Perfect for him in fact, and Gabe adored Kristian as well in his own way. But there was a lack of humanity behind his eyes that made even Cana seem more soulful. And he'd seen what Gabriel did on purpose, where Cana did unknowingly. It was...well. Beautiful in it own way, Kristian had to confess.

Beautiful and terrible and could destroy everything.

Just like his brother.

He watched as Cana dragged Joel with one hand--still tied to the chair--over to the chest. Cana gestured grandly at Trinity to do what he wanted with the boy. A thought struck Kristian.

"You ever think Father thinks about doing this to Ophelia?"

"If Father wanted to kill your mother, she'd already be dead, darling," his brother replied.

"Of course, dear. I'm not asking that. I'm asking if he thinks it."

"Probably. Do you?"

Kristian tilted his head and looked at the sad, whimpering mess that was Joel Anderson. He imagined his mother crying and bleeding and broken, likely facing death.

"Yes," he replied, all the blue draining from his eyes.