The Final Track

The journey home and back.
Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

The Final Track

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:43 am

Gregory settled back into his seat and ignored the girl waving eagerly to him from the platform.

"Goodbye, Greg! Bye, bye!"

He gritted his teeth and stared determinedly at the empty seat in front of him. It didn't matter that he was being rude to her, she'd be gone by the holidays.
His father's latest wife wasn't much older than he was, himself. Gregory was already trying to forget her name.

Besides, she was a Muggle. He had nothing against them, other than a vague feeling of pity that they had to live life so handicapped, but they did not factor in with his plans for his future. Not on an individual basis, anyway.

He was entering his final year in Hogwarts and there was much to do. He would need all his energy and attention to attain his goals.

Glancing around the empty car, he sighed. Empty. That meant that there was some gaggle of students somewhere, searching for a place to sit and soon to be descending on him. Really, there was nothing he could do to stop them, and so he had better enjoy the moment of peace while it lasted.
A small, grim smile touched his lips.
Maybe Troy Perez would be the one to stumble in. That would be . . .fun. Gregory shifted so that he looked even more at ease. It would be the icing on the cake if he could make Troy look like a fool before he left Hogwarts. An unnecessary pleasure, but a worthwhile one, he felt.

Gregory steepled his fingers and waited developments.

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Re: The Final Track

Post by Elwyn Wann » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 am

Elwyn Wann was hiding. Well, she was running, but it was to find a place to hide and therefore she was in the mits of hiding. For some reason, the staff of the Hogwarts Express had been forbidden to let Elwyn buy a ny sweets of any kind. Something about sugar impairing her judgment, yada yada. So she took matters into her own hands.

The blonde finally came to a stop at what looked to be an empty compartment, save for one lone loner by himself. It seemed safe enough, so she let herself in. Elwyn hadn't yet changed into her school uniform and had been using the hem of her shirt as a basket-y thingy for her hull of stuff. Walking over to one of the empty spots, she let the hem of her shirt drop and the contents spill out onto the cushion. There were all kinds of sweets and pastries.

"Want one?" She asked the boy, already shoving a biscuit into her mouth. It was soooo good! The boy looked like he needed something to get his bnliid moving. His face was all pinched and everything! She threw a chocolate frog at him. "Here. Maybe you'll get something good. Like a dragon. Are there any dragon cards? There should be!" As she spoke, she opened a bag of Every Flavor Beans and dumped half in her mouth. It was so gross! Like dirty socks mixed with candy floss. She swallowed and dumped the rest in her mouth.

Sugar. Was. Amazing!

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:50 am

A . . vagabond of some kind darted into the compartment.

Gregory wrinkled his nose. He deplored how so many students didn't have enough self respect to wear their uniforms as soon as they boarded the train. Especially when what they wore was as flimsy as this . . girls was. Still, She stumbled in, apparently carrying something in her shirt.

Spinning, she turned to the opposite seats and as he opened his mouth to speak, she dropped her shirt hem and what looked like the entire contents of the sweets cart tumbled onto the seat . . . and the floor.

Gregory drew his feet back. "What - "

But the human will-o-the-wisp wasn't done yet.

"Want one?" She asked and threw something at him.

He caught it one handed and glanced at it scornfully. A chocolate frog. He hadn't eaten a chocolate frog since . . well, Friday. actually, but only because Jane had asked him to! With a flick of his fingers, he sent the unopened package to the far corner of the train car. The girl didn't even notice. She was too busy funneling whole packages of Bertie Bott's down her gullet.

Gregory stared, fascinated. He waited for her to turn green, muscles tense as he was prepared to leap out of the way of her puking or something. But she simply smacked her lips.
Incredible.

His opinion of her shifted slightly. Rather, his opinion of her stayed the same, but his vision of her worth changed. This girl could actually be quite useful, down the line.
He eyed her like a a professor would view a science experiment. "Do you have a name?" He asked, a smile flicked onto his face. He leaned forward, offering his hand. "My name is Gregory Masterson, how do you do?"

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:11 am

Her trunk attended to, Addi stood on the platform and felt the butterflies in the pit of her stomach. Turning to her family, well, most of her family; her mother having disembarked along the way to take care a bit of London shopping; she felt torn. It was always difficult to leave her da and Adda and now little Meleri too. Dropping to one knee in front of her brother, Addi gently coaxed him away from her dad’s leg for a hug.

“You needn’t be upset, I’ll send you pictures and I’ll be home for Christmas before you know it,” Addi told him with a tight squeeze, before drawing him back a few inches, “Do you remember what I asked you to take care of for me?”

Addi smiled as her brother nodded solemnly, “Apples for Gany.”

Nodding, she said, “That’s right! Smart lad!”

Standing, her brother’s hand in hers, she leaned in to her da’s free arm. Little Meleri’s face was mostly hidden beneath an obnoxiously lace baby bonnet, but her Cadwalader eyes blinked at Addi as her dad rocked gently. This was always the hardest part, she thought, steeling herself she raised on tip toe and her da leaned down, she gave him a peck on the cheek and one last squeeze with her free arm before turning Adda over. Waving, she turned, took a deep breath and hurried toward the train.

A few minutes later, Addi reached the compartment she’d left her trunk and owl cage in only to discover that her things had been shoved into the corridor and the compartment was now occupied by a gaggle of students, none of which she was familiar with. With a huff and a roll of her eyes, she picked up the cage and began dragging her trunk down the corridor, looking left and right as she passed compartment doors, hoping to find Ceci or Sada; or, if that failed, an available seat.

She felt the train vibrate beneath her feet and she grunted softly and gave another yank at her trunk. Finally, after much huffing and puffing, she found a compartment occupied by two. Rapping with a knuckle on the door, she slid it open and felt the train lurch forward and then violently back. Swearing, she grabbed for the handle of the door, let go of her trunk and toppled into the compartment in a jumble of legs, arms, owl cage, screeching owl and feathers.

Blowing her hair out of her face, from her sprawled position on the floor, she finally got her first good look at the occupants and said, “Would you mind terribly if I shared your compartment, before I do anyone else bodily harm?”

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:44 pm

The door slid open again, with considerably more force this time and another girl practically fell in, along with countless bags and a trunk and - most importantly, an owl cage.

Gregory stifled his annoyance when he saw this and felt a flicker of hope instead. An owl was good.
"Locomotor" Gregory said, lifting his Ebony wand and pointing it at the bags and trunk. They lifted a few inches and he waved them up and into the compartments. Then he stood and pushed them into place. All Except the owl cage. That he picked up and held.

Slipping the wand back into its sheath in an inside pocket of his robes, he offered a hand to the girl, to help her up. She looked familiar. . . it came to him. Addiana! That was it. He had noticed her before. It was strange, because he didn't often notice anyone as young as she was.
He couldn't even say why. Of course, she was pretty popular with her crowd, for her sportsmanlike behavior and all. Still. It was probably just that they made much of her which was why he had noticed her at all.

"Are you alright?" He asked solicitously "We certainly don't want you to harm either of us. Please come in. Er -" He glanced around. The other seats, which he would have preferred to show her to, where completely covered with the candy that the experimen- the other girl, had strewn all over the place. Like a pigsty.
He repressed a shudder. Well, there was nothing for it. He reminded himself to keep his facial muscles relaxed.
"Won't you sit down?"he gestured to the only other option - the seat next to his.

He set the owl cage down between them and peered in, comparing the owl within it to the glory that was his own Ophelia. He sighed. It would be nice to travel with her. But he didn't like subjecting her to the rough ways of the other students. "Tell me about this lovely creature."

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 am

Addi watched silently from her place on the floor of the train compartment as an older student, she was struggling to think of his name. She didn’t think she’d met him personally, but he was familiar and she couldn’t place why. After a moment of internal debate, she shrugged and chalked it up to the fact that it was because she’d likely seen him around the school the past few years. He was tall and blonde and… well, perfect. It was really the best description she could think of. Every hair was in place, his clothing seemed as thought it had just been removed from an ironing board and his shoes still had the brand new polished look as if they’d never been worn.

In contrast, she sighed as he stood to push the last of her bags into place; she feared she looked quite a mess. Smoothing her hair behind her ears, mentally castigating herself for having forgone plaiting it today, she winced as she plucked a creamy white feather from her hair. Her jeans seemed to be no worse for her tumble; her saffron hued tunic was slightly askew about her shoulders as its wide neck had began to slide over and down one shoulder.

“Are you alright?”

Addi felt her face grow flushed, but she quickly cleared her throat and responded, “Yes, fine, thank you,” and took the proffered hand before rising, carefully, to her feet. The pressure on her hand was gentle as he guided her into the seat next to his, firmly placing Iris’ cage between them. Glancing down into the cage, she was immediately apologetic as she saw how ruffled Iris’ appeared, slipping a finger carefully into the cage, she gently rubbed the top of the barn owl’s head. Iris cocked her head, before shifting on her perch to turn her back to Addi.

“This is Iris, she’s a Barn Owl,” Addi said glumly, as it had just occurred to her that Iris was giving her the cold shoulder. Lowering her face closer to the cage, she whispered in Welsh, “I’m sorry girl, you know I’d never mean you harm.”

Iris half turned, apparently somewhat placated yet studying the blonde boy as much as he was studying her. In the Cadwalader home she was never kept in a cage and Addi was quite sure that most of the owl’s current ire was at being kept locked up.

“Our family owl is kept quite busy with my mother’s correspondence and it didn’t seem right that the poor fellow my dad uses for business deliveries should have to serve double duty, thus I convinced them this summer it was best I get my own owl. She…well, she picked me I suppose. She’s usually very affectionate,” Addi explained, decided she was blathering and bit her tongue to keep from continuing on.

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:29 am

Elwyn had been biting the legs off of my a chocolate frog when Mister Master introduced himself. She liked nicknames. They were so much easier than proper pronounce and they fit the person way better! She was reaching out her sticky fingers to shake his hand--a lady was always proper during an introduction--when the girl tumbled in. That looked like fun! She wanted to try it sometime.

After the two had their back-n-forth, and Elwyn had finished licking the left over chocolate from her hand, she piped up. "Thank you for joining me here today. I'm sure you're wondering why I gathered you here. I'm Elwyn Wann and I'll be your hostess for the next..." She looked at her watch, but the crystal had broken and the ticker had stopped working. "... little while. Tea should be along soon, but please help yourself to snacks."

This was going to be great! Mister Master reminded Elwyn a lot of her brother, so that was almost like s family reunion. She didn't get a chance to see Elwood all too much. He was busy rebuilding their father's company back up after a bad bat of "insider trading." Whatever that meant. She only knew it was bad enough to get her father sent to a Muggle prison. And with her mum tucked away in the loony bin, it was a bit of a struggle to find room for family time.

"I think we should all start by stating our favorite color and the best place we ever skinny dipped. You can start, Mister Master." She gave him a brilliant smile before winking at the other girl. This would be the best train ride ever!

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Iris. A lovely name. None of this silly Fluffy or Mimi or whatever girls liked to call pets these days. Iris was . . fully acceptable. Gregory allowed a genuine smile to curve his lips. Halfway, anyway.

What Addiana said about the family owls was good, too. It showed sense and a care about the most majestic of creatures. He looked at the girl appreciatively. Despite her rather bedraggled appearance, her eyes were clear and showed intelligence and she spoke well and showed sense and appreciation. A shame she was so much younger. Their paths weren't likely to cross much and while the concept of friendship was one he didn't waste his time on much, it was good to appreciate a well ordered mind.

And anyone an owl chose was someone to take notice of.
He turned his attention to the Lady in the room. "Hello, Iris." He said softly. "Not fond of the cage, are you? Ah, well, we all have to endure being a bit cramped for a while. It's part of life."
She wasn't as glorious as his Ophelia (but no one was) she was, however, a very handsome bird and her huffiness at Addiana showed a strong spirit an temperament that Gregory could appreciate.

But into this pleasant reverie came a strange note, like a sour smell in a lovely bouquet.
The voice of the strange girl.

"Thank you for joining me here today. I'm sure you're wondering why I gathered you here. I'm Elwyn Wann and I'll be your hostess for the next...... little while. Tea should be along soon, but please help yourself to snacks. I think we should all start by stating our favorite color and the best place we ever skinny dipped. You can start, Mister Master."

Slowly, Gregory's head turned, until he was staring at this freak of nature. Good heavens, he thought that there was some sort of process that was gone through to pick the students. He hadn't thought it was VERY thorough, but now he saw it must only register a modicum of magical ability, before it sent off the letter. No other way would this girl be allowed into the hallowed halls of Hogwarts.
It almost amused him to think of Professor Kalamack's face when he first spoke with this . . girl. Still, an answer was expected. About to give one of his usual retorts to nonsense, Gregory paused, remembering his plans for this creature.
Perhaps that would require . . a different tack. He loathed this.
Still . . it was only the train. A little pain was worth a large victory, Aunt Mabel always said.

So he sucked it up, raised an eyebrow and said, "Slate. My Aunt Mabel's soup bowl. Next."
Mister Master? What in the world? Still, it did have a sort of ring to it.

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 am

It made little difference to Addi that Iris was not the fanciest or most expensive owl at the Eeylops Owl Emporium. She had imagined that picking her owl would be something that would’ve taken her quite a long time before finally making a decision. Studying the different types of owls, asking her father and Grandfather Edwards their opinions and knowing how much she had spend, had little prepared her for the moment she’d entered the shop. There were owls everywhere, literally. She’d expected them to be in neat orderly cages and she supposed, peering into the dimly lit store, someone had tried once upon a time to keep them that way and just sort of gave up.

Three tiny owls immediately began to circle her head and while she thought they were absolutely adorable, she doubted they’d be much good at delivering the occasional small package if she required it. Amused by their antics, Addi had to shift as a weight settled on her left shoulder and she turned nose to beak with the barn owl that was at this moment, softly squeaking her displeasure to Gregory about being confined.

As the other girl occupying the compartment spoke, Addi looked toward Gregory uncertainly. Had she interrupted something? Was this some sort of joke? For a long moment after Elwyn had introduced herself and spoke, Addi waited, hoping that one of them would laugh. Turning her head ever so slightly toward Gregory, she studied his reaction and though almost imperceptible, Addi sensed a flare of irritation more than saw it. She thought he might ignore Elwyn, but in the end he did answer, albeit starkly.

Sensing, that everyone was expectant for her answer, Addi smiled awkwardly and mumbled, “Yellow.”

Rather baffled about how to answer the best place we ever skinny dipped, as Addi had never tried it. Never had she even thought about trying it. The consequences if she’d been caught were far too steep and horrifying to even imagine. Shrugging, she mumbled, “Never been, couldn’t say.”

This, she had no doubt, was not going to be a boring train ride to Hogwarts.

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Elwyn clapped her hands as the two joined in her game. Most of the time, she was either ignored completely, or looked at as though she were speaking in tongues. She'd tried that before, too, but they reactions had been more immediate and involving authorities. It was a pleasure to be sitting with three who would participate. She counted three, because she was sure the pretty owl had answered her question, too, in her own way.

"Soup!" Elwyn giggled. She had never even thought about skinny dipping is soup! Turning to the pretty brunette, she said, "It's okay. You can always go skinny dipping in your bath. It's not as fun, but it works really well!" She tossed the girl a chocolate frog for answering, and threw another one at the boy. Apparently, he'd finished his already! She figured he enjoyed them, so the gave him a third for the future. "I like blue," she told them, ripping a pack of licorice bites open with her teeth.

Apparently, Elwyn didn't know her own sugar-induced strength, though, because the package exploded everywhere in the small compartment. Laughing, Elwyn plucked a square off the floor and popped it into her mouth. She firmly believed in the five-second-rule, and thought it was very polite of the germs to wait. The other bites hand landed around... somewhere. It would be like a tasty scavenger hunt! She resisted the urge to rip another bag open and dump them out. But just barely.