Strange Exhilaration [Trinity]

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Strange Exhilaration [Trinity]

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 am

Despite his terrible self-esteem and general lack of self-efficacy, Cana Havich didn't think of himself as a bad person. Sure, he did bad things. He'd done very bad things. He hurt the people he loved. He lashed out in anger at people he didn't like. He wasn't as kind as he should be to animals (at least to the animals he hunted or slaughtered on the farm). But he didn't view that as intrinsic to who he was as a person. He loved his parents and family. He loved his boyfriend and treated him with respect (despite what said boyfriend's parents might think). He adored kids. He had a lot of good traits too, he thought.

That said, there was definitely a reason other people thought of him as a bad person, and he didn't have a good enough self-image to dispute it. So even here at Hogwarts, where people had no idea what had happened at Gammla Uppsala, he was still viewed of as somewhat of a pariah. He'd been lucky enough to make a few friends so far, but not quite as many as he'd developed over the years at his old school. So finding himself alone wandering the hallways, trying to make a mental map of the confusing school, was not that surprising really for anyone who might to run into him.

He was getting better with the layout of the castle, he thought. He could find his own common room from most anywhere in the school. He'd located the kitchens, and a good number of the restrooms (the two most necessary locations, he thought). He'd found most of his classes without issues at this point, no longer getting lost like the first few weeks. Overall, he thought he was doing a lot better.

So logically, something had to come along and ruin it.

As he rounded the corner, he stopped short, directly before running into someone. He felt a sharp pang of annoyance shoot through him but tried to tamp it down. No use making new enemies this soon at least.

"Scuse me," he mumbled, not looking the person in the eye. "Still getting used to this place."

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: Strange Exhilaration [Trinity]

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 am

It wasn't as if Trinity tried to be a shadow. He didn't work at it or think it was a kick. In fact, he usually dressed to be seen. You would think that the bright yellow scarf he always wore would act as some kind of beacon, something to shout "here I am!" but apparently not.

Alright, so maybe the scarf was more if a dingy yellow than the sunshine it used to be, he'd had it since first year, after all, but yellow was still yellow. Even with tje eye-catching color, it seemed as though there were an invisability spell on him, or something.

Trinity had just narrowly avoided getting mowed down by a gaggle of First Years, having to pratically spin put of their way to give a wide enough berth for the midgets. That also meant he wasn't paying much attention as he walked backwards and right into a wall. At least, he had thought it was a wall, until it spoke.

The Puff turned to be nose-to-collarbone with a hulking beast. He recognized the kid--kid?--from his year. It was hard not to notice someone that was as big as a building. Sometimes Trinity wished he had that about him. He was tall enough, but that obvously wasn't the same thing.

"S'al'ite, mate," he murmered, honestly not expecting to even be heard, "no'ne 'spects yew'ta share da ro'dway."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:33 am

Cana stopped a bit short and looked down at the accent. It was...odd. Not terrible. He'd never call anyone's accent terrible after hearing his poor maternal grandfather bewailing losing business more than once because of his own thick Gujarati accent. But it was...difficult for him to interpret, with English not being his first language. He would leave his thoughts there. That was a polite way to put things right, brain?

But once he parsed what the boy said, he became irritated. What exactly was he implying? Not expected to share the roadway? Cana wasn't a bully...at least he hadn't been a bully here at Hogwarts. He couldn't help his size, anymore than any of the other Havichs could help theirs. Just because he was...a bit bigger than everyone but his father, didn't mean he was an easy target.

Still, it was best not to make a scene. Especially since he'd seen some first years nearby. The last thing he needed was a bunch of eleven year olds fleeing in terror from him. Instead, he cleared his throat, looked the boy in the eye, and...

"Sorry. Didn't mean to run into you," he lied, thinking that the boy had clearly run into him first. "Really, just having issues finding my way around this place. The staircases...change," he finished lamely, realizing that this boy probably knew everything about Hogwarts he needed. He vaguely recognized the boy as being from his year but he hadn't had many classes with...Hufflepuff, he was guessing from the scarf. Then again, he didn't pay attention to most of his classmates, preferring to either take notes or doodle little pictures of Gabe in the margins of his parchment. Hopefully, this guy wouldn't take it personally that he didn't know his name. He probably didn't even know Cana's name either.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:24 am

The hulk responded to him? That was... odd. He was new to the school, that much was clear. Was that all it took for someone to see him? Just... not being at the school from the beginning? That one girl had seen him, too. It was difficult to wrap his mind around.

Trinity took half a step back so that he could see the guy's eyes. It was defanantly him the guy was talking to. Okay then. He should take it where he could get it. His conversation skills might be a bit rusty, but judging from the exchange so far, he was doing fine.

"Yew's neew, 'ere, yeh?" If this was going to be this only conversation in the next week, he'd get his fill from it. "Rus'a, yeh?" Trinity had only ever been to three places in his life: East End, Hogwarts, and Hogsmead. "Yew cum'meer f'om dere? Yew st'pid o'somthan?"

Trinity couldn't fathom anyone leaving a place as exciting as Russia for a place like Hogwarts. Didn't they have their own school? The hulk was obvously not a first year, and Trinity had seen his work in class. So what had happened? There was no way he believed anyone would choose Hogwarts if they had another choice.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Cana clenched his jaw a bit and felt the muscles bunch up a bit in it. Not at the Russian implication. He was indifferent to that completely. Accents weren't something everyone had a skill for and he wasn't exactly making fun of him for it (or was he?). But stupid? Cana loathed being called stupid. Lots of people saw Cana and thought stupid after all. He was huge in size, with thick eyebrows, which was apparently a sign of lack of intelligence for a lot of people. But Cana was anything but. He might not have been quite as top of his class as Lyssa, but he was close. The only reason, he thought, that he didn't surpass Lyssa was his lack of focus in class.

Still, it wouldn't do to gain the reputation of a monster just yet.

"I'm from Norway," he replied curtly. "There's actually a bit of historical tension between us and Russia. Imperialism and all that," he explained. "But I used to go to school in Gammla Uppsala, Sweden. And I came here with my aunt. She's the new Muggle Studies teacher. That's reason enough."

Cana hoped the reputation for Northern Europeans being somewhat laconic at first was enough to stop the awkward questions.

He wasn't about to get into the messy incident with Gabe with a complete stranger. The way people looked at him with disgust and mistrust after it happened was burned into his brain, and he was fine with that staying there. What did the old comedian say? 'I'll bottled up all my feelings right here, and then I'll die.' That was Cana's life's motto right there, at least when it came to unpleasant ones. Though if this kid kept digging himself into a hole and shaking the bottle, a few cracks might form in Cana's sense of control.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Trinity nodded. He didn't really understand, but he had learned early on in his life that nodding bought you a little bit of time to think. He didn't know if it was just his lack of ability to be a Ravenclaw or just his botch social skills, but he had a feeling he was missing something in the exchange.

So the new Muggle Study professor was the hulk's--no, the jötunn's? Trinity didn't know much, but he did read a book on Norse mythology a few years back--aunt? That didn't explain why he left a perfectly better situation to come to a school like Hogwarts. People thought this was the best of the Wizarding schools, but he hated it.

"Yew'ev don bedda ef yew ste'd 'n 'Orway," Trinity told him, honestly. He pushed his blond curls from his forehead, looking up at the guy. He always imagined people from Norway to be tiny with almost white hair. That obvously wasn't true. "Yew'r ril'y tall. Yew git 'at fum somthan?"

Maybe the kid was a halfling of some sort. That would be interesting! He never new any halfbloods that weren't human. Not that he even expected the guy to recognize him the next time they met. If they ever met again. Which was pretty unlikely.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:06 am

What did this kid know about where he'd be better off? Well...nothing honestly. Cana hadn't exactly been forthcoming. So he supposed he couldn't blame this guy for his rudeness. Maybe he had a condition? It as rude to think, but he couldn't help the thought from going through his head. He glanced around as if his mother would appear from a dark corner to chastise him for it.

"I assure you," he said, with as much calm in his voice as he could muster. "I am much better off here. There are...extenuating circumstances. I was either here or Ilvermorny. This was just more convenient."

His grandfather Jigishu had offered to put him up when going to Ilvermorny, but as much as he loved his granddad, he would have been even more alone there. At least here, he had his auntie and cousins. Despite his reputation, he was a very pro-social person...amongst certain types at least.

Cana felt his fists clench when he asked if he "got that from somewhere" as if his size were some sort of flaw or disease.

"My family is descended from the Jötunn god, Loki. Allegedly. As for a more realistic explanation? I got it from my father. He's seven feet. My grandfather is 6'9". We're all Viking types. And my mom's family had a few very tall men as well. She's distantly related to a late wrestler who was 7'1". So it's genetic," he finished, not particularly caring if the other wizard knew anything about the Muggle concept of genetics.

He could feel his patience wearing out. After this conversation, he'd probably have to go to the edge of the woods and punch a few things. Better than punching a person, he supposed. This kid's combination of arrogance and idiocy would be seared into his brain for awhile.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 am

"Wick'd," Trinity grinned. Whether thing thing about Loki was true or not, it was a fun story. Trinity wished he had a fun story about his family. Or any story apart from "they dropped me off and that was it." Quite honestly, he couldn't even remember this parents' names. He had it narrowed down to a few possabiities, though, so that was something.

Even if the Loki thing wasn't true, the guy was still tall. And built like a tree. Which still counted for a lot. And he had lived in an exciting place! Sure, he had given that up for some unknown reason. He'd even picked Hogwarts over Ilvermorny, which he would regret in a few months. Trinity would kill to go to another school.

"Yew git'ny fu'ny megik?" Merlin, Trinity hoped so. He was so tired of seeing and doing the same spells over and over and over again. The Norse school probably had better, more interesting spells. The jötunn might have a book on hand Trinity could barrow. The boy waved his hand before him and took a step back. "Shew meh wot yew gat."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:15 am

Cana grinned a little at the "wicked" comment. He'd gotten a lot of rolled eyes before at the story. Well, in places other than Gammla Uppsala, where most people had been fairly willing to believe it. They tended to know more about the ancient pureblood line of the Havich family. Though their name had changed over the years, the bloodline stayed true: height and muscle won out over the blood of average sized or smaller parents. It had to be god's blood, the logic went.

"Well," Cana shrugged. "Loki was a Frost giant. But he was also the god of fire. All of our magic manifests in the beginning one way or another. Dad's was ice. Aunties Jetta and Thorunn were both fire. I was fire as well, though I had a few ice incidents too. They were..." violent, destructive, devastating, murderous, "...not great. But that's how it comes through, I guess. That and the size. All of us are tall. No wolf or snake babies yet though. Unless you count Dahlia and I being in Slytherin now."

He was a bit confused by the concept of "funny magic" though. All of the magic he had learned had seemed normal to him. He racked his brain trying to think of something. Very few people had actually asked him about his old school other than why he would want to leave, and he didn't particularly want to discuss that with just anyone. He leaned against the wall and considered.

"Well, we use spells in old Norse and old Swedish, instead of Latin? It's a lot easier. Um...there's a lot more flexibility with potions? I've found a lot of the potions recipes here haven't changed for centuries. A lot of ours have. We learn the old way and the new. My grandfather is a great potions-master, so I have an advantage of sorts. Umm...there is more divination? And more gods-work. You don't really do that here though. To be fair, it's fallen mostly out of fashion at Gammla Uppsala too. It's seen as Dark magic. Those were always the smallest classes, usually less than ten of us took them. But my family is very traditional in a lot of ways. We still keep to the gods. Even my mother who is Indian and was raised Hindi keeps to them. Grandfather was mortified," he grinned. "But he's gotten over it."

"If you'd be willing to meet me somewhere else later, I can show you some of the old magic spells. Just...don't be squeamish? They aren't necessarily all blood magic, but some of them are. And don't tell anyone. It's not Dark, but it's still looked at that way here, even though it's fine back home," he explained. He wondered why he was doing this for someone who irritated him. He'd probably end up regretting it. But he was lonely since losing Gabe and all of his male friends. He missed showing off. He hadn't done a lot of extracurriculars like Lyssa and Bjørn (who had been in roughly ten a piece), but he had been in Dueling Club. He liked showing off his talents beyond potion making and breaking things.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:19 am

Trinity grinned a good, honest smile. The thought about learning other kinds of magic--Norse and Swedish spells, interesting potions, and the like--excited him. Even with the warning about it looking like dark magic.

Trinity had spent years without the ability to leave school grounds. He had most likely read every book in the library out of shear boredom. The demi-dark stuff didn't scare him so much after reading all of the Forbidden Section over one holliday break in third year. On bad nights he would still wake up in a sweat with visions of flesh-eating potions in his head. What was a bit of blood magic to that?

And beyond that, he wanted to know more about the stranger-giant. Sure, he was covenced the guy would forget about him the moment Trinity was out of sight, but the Hufflepuff could pretend it was the start of a friendship. He had a few pretend friends, like the pretty Gryffindor. It would be nice to have a pretend guy-friend, as well. So he pretended a little longer.

"Yew 'ave'va plice yew wanna me't?"