Ain't No Stopping Us Now

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Ain't No Stopping Us Now

Post by Dorian Krueger » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 am

Wizards, Dori had found, had a lot of hang ups about bizarre things. At some point in their history - after the convenient invention of indoor plumbing he had noted - they had decided to shun all inventions that didn't involve magic. He suspected it started as a pride thing and wound up with them not having any idea what they were missing. The idea that he had to buy himself a bird of prey in order to hear from anyone over the summer was ridiculous when he could just be facetiming them. How did you even care for an owl? What kind of vet would give it check ups? Was he meant to keep a tank of feeder mice or just open the window and let it do it's thing? No, he didn't go in for any of that.

There were a lot of wizard things he didn't really go in for. Robes was one. Some of their weird snackfoods was another (though he did make himself a pocket full of wizard money letting other kids dare him to eat certain Bertie Bott's flavors first year). He had made extra sure to pack a number of "muggle" items and clothes this year, nuts to the wizarding family kids who thought it was all strange. In fact, he often liked the attention.

He was certainly enjoying it now as he glided through the castle halls in a scuffy black pair of rollerblades. Technically he was headed to the library to look for a book for class, but he was getting so much excitement from the other students panicking and dodging out of his way that he had looped around the long way. It was funny, because they thought he didn't know how to not crash into people. Hadn't they seen anyone skate before? These were his thoughts as he took his eyes off where he was going to wave at someone shouting at him behind him.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Re: Ain't No Stopping Us Now

Post by Eric Brandski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 am

There was a reason Eric wasn't in Ravenclaw. He hated studying. Though there was a number of Ravenclaws, he knew, that abhorred sitting still on one project, they at least liked the process of learning. Eric would rather sleep through a lecture than listen to one, though. Which was probably why he was already doing make-up work. Just a few days into the new year and he was already behind.

Loaded down with rolls of parchment, a small stack of books, vials of ink, and a baggie of exploding bonbons, to help keep himself awake, Eric trudged down the hall on his way to the library. He didn't mind the Gryffindor common room most of the time, but it would be easier to complete his homework outside in a hurricane. In fact, he would have preferred the excuse to turn his homework in.

Unfortunately, Eric realized, as he paused to look out one of the huge floor-to-ceiling windows, the thick clouds covering the sky didn't seem to be moving at all. It just figured. He had been having a short run of rotten luck lately. Though most people would probably be happy about the calm weather, Eric couldn't help but take it as a personal front against him.

He had been lost in his train of thought, when a cry of watch out! sounded from a student in front of him. He cast a glance around. The halls looked fine. Though what he was supposed to be watching for came apparent as something crashed full on into his back, sending him forward several steps and scattering his suplies. His foot slipped on one of the roles of parchment as he tried to catch his balance and he ended up over correcting himself.

Eric had the vague thought that he had never taken the time to properly appreciate the school's arched ceilings as he fell backwards. His landing was cushioned slight by something a bit soft. He grunted and rolled to the side. Were those... inlines?

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:29 am

Dorian felt the thud before he got the chance to see what he was thudding, and the next thing he knew the world was a spinning blur. His wheels caught on something then, and the blur quickly started trending decidedly downward. His arms, thankfully, hit the floor before his face. Not that he was any stranger to concussions, but he really didn't need one this close to the start of the term.

Were concussions something that could be wand-waved away? He wasn't sure.

Regardless, the impact and the fall and then the second impact of the hard stone floor left him aching and dazed, and as he lay there on his stomach blinking the spots out of his eyes it took him a moment to notice the weight on his back. "Sorry mate," he grunted, "I promise aim usually much better a' not running people over. What I get for getting distracted I guess."

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Eric pushed himself into a sitting position. He bit his cheek to stop the sware from coming out. His mum had been getting on him about how his language could affect the family's public image. When he saw the kid he had landed on, however, four letters slipped through his teeth.

Da would kill him if he broke another student. A younger student, at that, since Eric didn't recognize the boy from any classes. In a slight panic, he pulled the kid up to sit before cupping his hands on the student's left bicep. Squeezing softly, his hands made their way down to the boy's wrist. No breaks. Good. He started again on the right side.

"You shouldn't appolagise," Eric told him, "it was probably my fault. I wasn't paying any atten..." He had been working his hands up the boy's leg from his ankle and had gotten past the knee when he realized that the touch might have been seen as inappropriate. Eric let go of the boy's thigh.

"So, uh," Eric cleared his throat. "Huffelpuff, yeah? I have friend in Huffelpuff. Pretty girl. Rather tall. Morrgian. Have you met?" Right, then. Conversation made things better, right? He could just see the look on him Mum's face if she was contacted about his physically assaulting a student.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:16 am

Dori allowed himself to sat up and maniulated without any protest as he squinted and widened his eyes a few times to bring them into proper focus. "Och, no, eyes frontwards when yer on wheels, thas the rules o' the road so te speak. I's on me, totally." He gave a little snort as the other boys seemed to remember himself and finished checking him for damage. "Promise am fine, though. Wee lump on the noggin later maybe but ah caught mesel' mostly. Ahm a sturdy one. Ye in one piece as well?"

He recognized the older boy, now that his vision had still, though not by name or from any particular place. Dori grinned at him, casually remaining seated on the ground as if he'd meant to be sitting there all along. "Aye, we met the other day. Bit moody, likes karaoke, big family. We're in the same year."

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Eric was relieved that the boy wasn't actually hurt. Aside from the bump he claimed he would have. At least that's what Eric thought he had said. He loved the fact the Hogwarts was the home of nearly every accent under the sun. He just wished he could understand them all. The boy was the Third year, though? Like Morrgian? What was the likely hood of that? Running into--literaly in once case--two Hufflepuff Third Years within the first few weeks of school? Sure, the school was full of them, but Eric kept to himself in most cases.

"I'm alright, thanks," Eric said, responding to the earlier question. Standing, he offered a hand to the boy. "You're off on the moody bit, but the rest seem right for Morrgian. I don't know about the karaoke, but it wouldn't shock me. I'd bet she has a beautiful voice." Eric liked how the light played with the boy's hair, changing the highlights. "I'm Eric by the way. I would have preferred to meet under different circumstances, but it's nice to meet you."

He just hoped they would last long enough without going out the window to hopefully finish their conversation.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:48 pm

"Well she was moody when ah met 'er at least," Dori shrugged, "but I cannae say wots her normal I guess." Being still on skates Dori gesture for the boy to wait in response to his offered hand, and first took a moment to rotate himself onto his knees. Once he had a skate flat on the ground he allowed the gryffindor to boost him up the rest of the way. "We didnae meet too long ago. We're hosting a karaoke night soon though, ye should come. Dunno when yet. I'll make up signs an' stick em 'round. Thanks." Back on his feet he scissored his wheels feet back and forth to make sure his skates were actually still in working order before he wound up on the floor again.

"Names Dori," he grinned. He put his hands on his hips and dropped his eyes to the jumble of school supplies on the floor around them. "Eric, a've made a right mess o yer things. Don' s'pose ye know some kinda neatly-pick-everything-up spell."

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Eric kept his hand on Dori's shoulder, even after he hand righted himself. Something told the Gryffindor that this wasn't an isolated event. "Karaoke? Like... singing?" Eric didn't care much for singing. It wasn't that he was tone deaf, but he had an untrained ear and he knew it. He would never willingly subject anyone to his voice. But his mum had made him promise to make more friends this year. He didn't think one person was what she had in mind, but two might be enough to please her. And Morrgain would be there, so it wasn't like he wouldn't know anyone. "Alright, keep me posted about it, then."

When Dori gestured to the mess on the ground, Eric hug his head. "I do, actually, but mum doesn't like me to use spells for lazy reasons." The boy bit his lip. His mum wasn't here, though, was she? Or was she? Sometimes her job required to to pop in a random times. With a sigh, he let go of Dori and bent down to pick up the nearest book.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Eric's steadying hand on his shoulder felt... kind? Protective? It wasn't necessary - he wasn't so much clumsy as easily distracted and he actually had pretty good balance when he was actually paying attention - but the concern gave him the warm-and-fuzzies anyway. "Brilliant! Am no crooner but there's something about singin along with tunes everyone knows tha' ye cannae beat. Ah'll save ye a duet." He winked and cackled. He half expected in this school there were plenty of people who didn't know the muggle songs that always seemed to show up on karaoke machines, and that was it's own kind of fun. He was still waiting to hear back from Morrigan what kind of machine her mother could magic up and what playlist it might have on it.

Dori shrugged. "Don see nothin wrong with saving time an' energy ye could be usin' somewhere else, but we'll dae it yer maws way." He glided a couple meters down the hall to catch a scroll that was still trying to roll off to parts unknown. He scooped it up and collected a few other items as he circles back. "Anythin' broke? Thought I heard a crunch but that coulda just been me."

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 am

Eric was so shocked at the boy winking at him that he forgot to refuse the offer of the duet or inform Dori that he would just be there to watch. But as the kid rolled down the hall to catch a wayward scroll, Eric wondered it it actually was a wink. From what he saw of the kid already, it might have been a nervous tick. That was entirely plausible.

"Thanks," Eric said with a friendly smile, taking the retrieved parchment. He had collected most of the mess, but ink still stained the hall floor. "I think some of my exploding bonbons... exploded." He looked around but the candies had all but vanished. "I won't be needing them now, I figure. Pretty awake after..." he waved his hand at the hall, "all that."

Most of the students had moved along, but several had stayed to watch the commotion. Eric was glad it was an easy traffic day. The whole even wouldn't have gone nearly as well if he had been trying to avoid one of the claustrophobia induced panic attacks.