Searching and Researching

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Kyani Taylor
First Year

Searching and Researching

Post by Kyani Taylor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 am

Kyani had come to the realization that she would always be quite small. She had hoped that genetics would win out. Her mother was a rather tall person, and though she had never met her father he couldn't be that short. Unfortunately, she would be lucky if she ever broke five feet.

Even now, she was scaling one of the book cases in Hogwarts' grand library, trying to reach a book that no human of normal height would ever have been able to reach. Tall people were stupid. Always placing things at "eye level." For a giraffe, maybe, she thought with a huff as her fingers just brushed the frayed edge of the book she was reaching for. Its spine read Hidden Hogwarts: Statues and Other Architecture. She figured, if she was going to learn the layout of the school, she might as well have fun with it.

Except this wasn't anywhere near fun! Her face was flushed and sweaty, her arms hurt from holding herself up, and she was quite honestly starting to get dizzy from the height. Was the air thinner up here? She was sure it had to be. No human ever needed to be this tall.

Stretching a little farther, Kyani's manicured fingers scratched at the book until it inched out. Victory! She gripped the book promptly as she lost her footing. For a split second, Kyani thought she was safe. Maybe there was an anti-gravity spell on the floor or she only thought she had lost her footing. But then there was a pain in her shoulder and her black hair was whipping around her face as her body sped to the stone floor.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Re: Searching and Researching

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:07 am

Cana didn't necessarily dislike school libraries. Rather, he'd always had little use for them. Sure he studied about as well as anyone else. But the concept of borrowing books that weren't nominally his made him feel itchy, and he normally just bought them for himself like any other self-respecting rich kid. Unfortunately, that didn't always work when what he needed was out of print. Cana was sure he could find an edition of it somewhere, but it did seem a lot easier to go to the Hogwarts Library to check for the volume. Holding a small piece of parchment labeled with the location, he suddenly got a sinking feeling.

There was no way this was on a top shelf, or even a middle shelf. As he scanned his eyes further and further down, his dread grew. Was it really worth it? Did he really needed to know how to make Felix Felicis before seventh year? It was marketable if he could adjust the ingredients, yes, but what about his poor knees? There were times when Cana loathed being this tall. He couldn't fit into normal clothes. He couldn't go through the average door. And he certainly couldn't just reached down to the bottom shelf without overbalancing.

As he was contemplating, he heard a strange shuffling sound on the aisle over. Letting curiosity win out over potential disaster, he peaked around the corner to see a...was that even a first year climbing up the shelves? Had a professor brought their child with them? Either way, Cana smelled disaster Taking several long strides down the aisle, he momentarily panicked as she slipped and brought his arms out just in time to catch her. She weighed barely anything in his arms, his knees noticeably not buckling under the added weight.

"Are you all right?" he asked, an edge of panic to his voice. He remembered his sisters being this small once, when they were very young (though to be fair, his sisters were also ridiculously tall and had probably hit this height by age 6). The thought of one of them doing this and falling panicked him. He noticed the girl wearing Slytherin robes and idly wondered if they'd passed each other in the common room before.

Delicately placing her down feet first on the floor, he resisted the urge to pat her on the head to reassure her. Instead, he fidgeted with the edge of his robe (gods, he hated Hogwarts uniforms).

"What were you trying to get? I'm sure I can get it for you. You really should be more careful."

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 am

Just as Kyani was sure she would hit the stone floor and shatter--if not into a million peices, then at least two or three--She hit something else. Whatever it was, she found her descent stopped before any damage happened. The girl sent a quick "thank you" to whatever was listening. She had s moment to catch her breath before looking into dark eyes.

Someone had caught her! That was incredibly fortunate on her part! The boy--man?--looked familiar, but she couldn't quite place him. She must have seen him around somewhere, but there were so many people it was hard to tell them all apart.

As she was placed back on the ground, still from an impossible height, Kyani began to straighten herself up. She could hear her mother now: Almost dying is no excuse for being unpresentable.
Wouldn't you want the person who found your body to think you looked pretty?
Honestly, Kyani could care less, but it was so ingrained in her that she automatically began something her uniform down and calming her wild hair.

"I'm fine, thank you," she told the man, but her voice was shaking slightly. She took a few calming breaths and tried again. This time her words were steady. "I was going for that architecture book," the girl explained, tilting her head up so she could peer at the tome perched precariously on the edge of the shelf. It hadn't even come down with her, the bugger! She was sure that someone of this guys height could just bee able to lean onto his tip-toes and snatch it with ease. They were both buggers. Mocking her relentlessly with their casual height. "Wanker," she muttered to herself, still glaring at the book.

With a sigh, she quickly pulled her raven hair back with a band from around her wrist and cleaned her palms on her skirt. Time to go again. "Thanks for the save, sir," she said with a small smile over her shoulder as she grabbed hold on the shelf just above her head. Unfortunatly, her arms were too tired to take her weight, and she had a feeling she looked like a drunk penguin or keewee or some other flightless bird. But not an ostrich. They were too tall. The wankers.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Cana let himself relax a little at the girl saying she was fine. He could hear a waver in her voice though, and that gave him pause. Hopefully, it was just residual adrenaline from the fall. As he watched her straighten herself, he felt his mouth quirk upward a touch. His sisters Scarlett and Sable were much the same: very concerned with appearances just like their mother. Even though his mother had gone to culinary school, she'd also once been a model for his grandfather's jewelry store. One of the reasons he thought she never professionally pursued being a chef was because she would look horrifically unpresentable at the end of the night.

Glancing slightly up at the architecture book, he quickly did a double take between that and the distance to the floor. It was at least seven and a half feet off the ground. Not so bad for someone like him, but for most students here it would be either a climb or quite the stretch. He simply reached up and slipped it off the shelf. A book about Hogwart's architecture? She must have at least been a first year, though he failed to see how given her size. Though he supposed he shouldn't say much. He was always self-conscious about how tall he was at home, but at least he stuck out mostly for different reasons at Gammla Uppsala. But here at Hogwarts, he towered over all of his classmates instead of just most, and he'd been asked several times if he were part giant. While he loved hearing the stories of the Havichs being descended from Loki and the Frost Giants, he knew it was meant more as a derogatory thing here, save for a few who'd asked.

Did she just call him sir? He was tall, but he certainly wasn't old by any means.

He ruffled a hand through his hair and let out a slightly tense chuckle.

"No need for the sir. I'm only in my sixth year. Now next year? Maybe," he joked. He felt himself frown in concern as the girl wobbled. Was she really okay? His eyes narrowed at her. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem like you're not doing so good."

He could feel the panic welling up again. Cana was abysmal at healing magic and his bedside manner sucked. But he could, he supposed, pick her up again and run her to the infirmary if need be.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 am

Kyani stopped her flightless bird impressions in order to glare over she'd shoulder at the man--or boy, apparently? He was only five years older than her?! She had thought for sure he was a teacher, or something. She crossed het arms and noticed that her mussels were quivering from fatigue. He was worried about her? That was... suspiciously nice. But then, everyone here seemed rather nice. It was odd and she wasn't sure she liked it.

"I'm not used to..." she waved vaguely at the tall shelf, "climbing." She didn't want to admit that even though she was thin she was far from in shape in many ways. Her workout regiment consisted mainly of yoga, not lifting--and certainly not lifting her own body weight!

Kyani's neck was starting to get a crick in it from looking up at the boy who was still holding her book. How tall was he, anyway? At least eight feet, or something, she was sure. Probably, like, eleven. She knew a few designers who would love to get their hands on... "What isyour name?" It was probably something super tough and manly like Brick or Gravel or Mike.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Cana couldn't help but grin a bit at the little girl. She seemed so indignant at him for daring to be tall. He'd gladly trade some to her given the chance. He'd love to shop for pants without having to magically modify them. He handed the book over to her with little flourish.

"I climb a good deal. Family likes hunting. The traditional way. No magic, no guns, no vehicles. Just good old fashioned walking, climbing, and tracking with a bow and arrow. So lots of experience. Don't usually have to use it in libraries though," he added. Cana was, despite his dislike of organized sports, very athletic. Hs height gave him certain advantages, but he realized early that it didn't afford him guaranteed strength. So he lifted weights. He went hunting. He went running. He worked on his aunt and uncle's farm at times, mostly with the animals. It had made him go from tall and awkward to looking like a full-blown monster. He liked that. Well, sometimes, he liked that. At other times, he hated everything about himself.

Ahh, teenage years.

He was brought back to himself by the girl asking--no, demanding--his name. He grinned again.

"Cana Havich. May I ask who's asking?"

He wondered if this child knew anything about his family. It had been a mix so far at Hogwarts: some didn't know them at all, some looked upon them with derision, and a few even though melding magic and Muggle technology and medicine was a cool concept. He didn't really care one way or the other, of course, especially about the derision. The Havich Family motto was "money is money." Well, actually it was something self-aggrandizing and in Old Norse, but he liked his version better, honestly. It was more fitting.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:09 am

Kyani studied the book in her hands, the canvas cover fraying slightly under her fingers. It was heavier than she thought it would be. Even if she had been able to reach it, the weight would have most likely sent her to the ground. She had almost laughed when Cana had handed it to her in a flourish that didn't match his unusual size, but now that the shock of the eventbwas over, she realized how much he had actually saved her. And he wasn't even bragging about it like half the people she knew would.

Hugging the book to her chest, then looked (way) up at him. He wasn't the kind of guy she would want to run into on a dark street, but he had been really nice so far. She knew the rule about sharing personal information with strangers, but they went to school together for Pete's sake! And he had introduced himself easy enough.

"My name is Kyani," she told him, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear, "Kyani Taylor. It's nice to meet you." She knew he wouldn't recognize her name. Guys like Cana didn't even know the kinds of fashion magazines she worked for even existed, let alone read them. Still, every time she said her name she was worried some student connected with the Muggle world would jump out and ask for an autograph. Nothing happened, so she relaxed a little. "Thank you for saving me, Cana."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:28 am

Cana felt a surge of paternal instinct when the little girl looked up at him. Gods, he was a hot mess. But he loved kids. His one goal for himself as an adult was to be a dad. Preferably with Gabe, though he knew Gabe wasn't as keen on the 8 kids idea as he was. He missed his boyfriend so much, it hurt sometimes. They'd been a part of each others' lives for so long, it felt like a limb had been cut off to lose him. He understood why Mr. and Mrs. Warner hated him at this point; he probably would too. But it killed him that Gabe was now at Durmstrang for his last year of school, likely miserable and alone just like Cana.

"That's a nice name," he replied to Kyani. He'd never heard it before. "And you're very welcome. It was no problem, and I was happy to do it." An idea suddenly struck him.

"Actually, if you want to repay me, you could do me a quick favor? The book I need is actually near the bottom, and I can't...bend down very well. I mean, I could, but it's miserable to get back up from floors like these." His left leg had been slightly messed up ever since the Incident when he was a child.

He gestured lightly and walked a few aisles over, expecting she would follow him. He gestured to the copy of Book of Potions by Zygmunt Budge that was near his feet.

"I'm trying something with Felix Felicis. I think it could be adapted somehow with Muggle medicine--that's part of what my family does--without actually violating the statute of secrecy. I need the original recipe though, before I can make any modifications for Muggle use. But wouldn't that be amazing?" he asked, getting some pep to him for the first time in a long while. "A potion that could cure all sorts of diseases just through the power of luck?"

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Kyani had followed Cana over to the other aisle, struggling to keep with his incredibly long legs. Not that she wasn't used to walking fast. She didn't have short legs, for her height, but he was a freak stand she still had to pratically jog not to be left behind.

The girl listened with wide eyes as Cana talked. He seemed to get more and more animated as he explained his plans. She had it admit, it was pretty interesting, but messing with potions seemed rather... dangerous. The way Cana talked, though, he seemed to know what he was doing. He obvously knew gallons more than she did about magic-y things.

"What Felix Flonious?" Kyani had never heard of such a thing, but it did sound magic. The younger Slytherin was knelt down by the spell book now, trying to shimmy it free from where it was wedged between two thick tomes, one offering wart remedies and the other advertising a thousand and two ways to use snake venom. This library was so weird!

The book finally popped free, sending Kyani to her rump. Figures. She had never been the most corordanated person on her best days, and her body was still mad about her climbing the mountainous shelf. With a defeated sigh, she offered up the book. "Just take it."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 pm

He grinned a bit at Kyani. He'd assumed she would know what he was talking about, but that was presumptuous. She was very young most likely, and it had never come up in conversation for her. Or perhaps she was even a muggleborn? That would make sense. He didn't particlarly like how winded she seemed walking after him. He knew he was tall, but she seemed very...frail? He should feed her. That always worked. His mom had sent him a few containers of korma last night through the owl post, and with the warming and freshness charms, they should still be good. He resolved himself to track her down later and give one to her.

"Felix Felicis," he tamped down an urge to call her by a diminutive. "It's a good luck potion. I know it sounds crazy, but for the hours after one takes the potion, one experiences phenomenal good luck. People have even had diseases be cured by it. Or rather "luckily go into remission"," he explained. "I think that if we modify some of the more magical ingredients for potential Muggle counterparts, we can create a genuine long term cure for a lot of ailments that effect everyone: cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus. It would be incredible as a treatment. And," he grinned a bit darker, "Very profitable if it ever wears off, and they need a new dosage."

He watched with light humor and concern as she fell over. Ignoring his complaining knees, he bent down and put a hand on her side. She was....way too thin. His resolve grew to mother this poor unaware girl.

"Are you sure you're okay? I'm more concerned about you right now than the book. Do you want to go somewhere else? Like...the kitchens or something?" he asked, scrambling for something. "Or, what house are you in? If you're not Slytherin, I think I could sneak you in."