Walk Alone to Find Your Soul {Trinity}

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Walk Alone to Find Your Soul {Trinity}

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 am

Jetta was pacing. She'd been pacing for awhile. It was evening, and she was the meet with Trinity again and speak to him about his upbringing. The thought put her stomach in knots. Roman sat in her office beside the desk, watching the fire with interest and occasionally glancing up with quiet concern at his wife. When Jetta had first told him about the secrets of the boy Lyssa liked, he'd been skeptical, but Jetta had been dead serious. The boy Lyssa liked so much, the boy who'd somehow managed to make friends with their notoriously difficult nephew, had been raised in a cult.

It gave Roman and Jetta both pause. They'd considered telling Lyssa to wash her hands of the whole potential relationship. But Jetta just couldn't; the boy had seemed so sweet and genuine about Lyssa. And it would have been hypocritical of Roman to warn Lyssa off a boy who came from a bad situation. After all, Jetta came from a far "better" background than him on paper.

Instead both of them had addressed a letter to the boy offering to speak with him (or again in Jetta's case). Roman had gathered together some writings abut growing up in a cult, and he himself had his own experience of being in a gang to rely on. Jetta's family in and of themselves, he'd always thought, were rather cult-like, so there was that as well, Roman thought.

"Honey, you're going to wear a hole through the stone," he chided gently.

Jetta glared mildly at him.

"What if he doesn't show up?" she asked.

"Then he doesn't show up, and we give him another chance another time. I'm sure this is a lot for him to deal with right now. He's probably scared. I would be. And you would be too. You're scared now for him."

"And for Lyssa."

"And for Lyssa," he admitted. "But you don't think he'll hurt her in anyway," he stated more than asked.

"Never intentionally, I don't think. But who knows what he's learned from those people?"

"True. Which is one of the reasons we're having this talk."

"....true."

Both of them had their thoughts cut off when the door opened. Roman stood to meet Trinity. He nodded lightly at the boy.

"Hi, Trinity," he smiled and treaded lightly. "I helped Professor Delaney write the letter? I'm Roman. Lyssa's dad. It's nice to meet you."

"Please take a seat, dear. If you want," Jetta added. "I'm glad you came."

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: Walk Alone to Find Your Soul {Trinity}

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:28 am

Trinity looked in the mirror of his dorm. All of his dorm mates were off doing something. He should have been off doing something, too. He was going to be late. But he couldn't get his stupid hair to lay flat. He needed to get it cut. Usually, he would do it himself when it got too long.... But what if he did a botched job and Lyssa saw him that way? He shook his head. Which caused his curls to fly everywhere again.

With a sound that was halfway though a growl and a sight, he headed out the dorm door. He'd dressed in his nicest casual outfit: a pare of brown corduroy slacks, one of his white uniform shirts, and a dark tan jumper. He would be meeting both of Lyssa's parents, after all. Even if it wasn't an official thing, he wanted to make a good impression. Before everything went to high heavens.

He knew after this... conversation, there would be a very real chance that he would be told never to speak to Lyssa again. He had promised Professor Delaney the last they had spoken that he would protect Lyssa. Even if that meant from himself.

Trinity took a few shortcuts to the Muggle Studdy office on order to make up for the time he had spent at the mirror. The door was cracked a bit and Trinity was about to knock when he heard the conversation happening.

"--who knows what he's learned from those people?"

"Which is one of the reasons we're having this talk."

"....true."

Part of Trinity wanted to stay hidden and heard more, but he knew it would be worse if he got caught. Taking a deep breath, the boy stepped forward into the room. Instantly, he was the subject of attention.

"It is nice to meet you," Trinity said carefully. Ever since he had heard about the Yule party, he had been working on his English. There had been no reason to before Lyssa and Cana, but he didn't want to embarrass them. "Thank you." He took the seat that was offered and placed his hands in his lap.

Ever since receiving the letter from the Delaneys, he had been trying to remember as much as he could. He was far from ready, but it was time for the moment of truth.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:49 am

Well this one certainly dressed better than Morrigan's boy, Roman thought with a light grin. And he could see Lyssa liking the lanky blond boy. His speech sounded a bit stilted, and Roman wondered a bit if English wasn't his first language. Jetta was a bit taken aback by it, and wondered if he was trying to speak more traditionally to impress them. Her own accent was a bit different though, and Roman's Boston accent was interesting at best, though; it wasn't as if they expected it of him. Neither would Lyssa. But he probably already knew others around Lyssa might judge him and was working to avoid it.

Smart.

Jetta was stalling, she could tell. Roman could tell too though, and he was quick on the draw to step in.

"So Trinity. Jetta told me some of what you talked about," he said calmly. "And I'm concerned for you. About the way you grew up. Not that you shouldn't be around Lyssa. Or Cana. They can handle themselves. But we're concerned for how you are doing. And what you've been through."

"Yes," Jetta finally replied. "Please, start from the beginning. What are some of the first things you remember being different? Or something you suspect was different?"

"Take your time," Roman soothed. "And don't tell us anything you aren't ready to. But we can help set some things straight if you are still unsure about whether or not it's something that most people do."

Jetta quickly hurried herself with getting a cup of hot water and several types of tea bags.

"Would you like some tea before we start? I'm...told it's a very English thing to offer in times of trial. Do you have a preference?"

Roman smiled a bit at his wife's motherly fussing. She wasn't the most traditional mom, but she was definitely a good one. Maybe that's what Trinity really needed to open up.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Trinity nodded at the offer of tea. "Black with creme," he said softly, "please." Tea would be a good way to gather himself, or so he hoped. There were a number of things Trinity had forced himself to forget that he was trudging up now. A lot of it had seemed "normal" to him, but perhaps that was just because he had been raised around it. There was one thing, though, that had never seemed right to him.

The blonde glanced at Roman. With all the scars the man sported, Trinity was sure he would know the answer to most of his questions. "The Box," he finally said, accepting the mug from Professor Delaney, "it's not really... a thing, is it?" Trinity had hated the box, but he would always take on the punishment for others. He had liked the way his mum looked at him when she heard about it. Like she was proud of him.

The Box had been the most common form of punishment for children in his village. Not that there were all that many of them. Now, Trinity figured, it was because it didn't leave any physical marks. He hadn't heard of police men--the Muggle auror--until his second year at Hogwarts, but he wondered if the Mayor knew about them.

Trinity took a sip of his tea, slurping slightly. He had been taught how to have proper tea at and early age, but the thought of it always gave him the willies. His rebellious actions had usually gotten him in trouble, but he hadn't been punished in nearly six years now. That though relaxed him a bit and almost made him smile. But he still wondered, every now and again, who was being punished, if not him.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:26 am

Jetta had vaguely remembered what she was doing. Making some extra tea for her and Roman wasn't she? And then the sound of the extra teacup in her left hand shattering broke the awkward silence after Trinity's question. Jetta stared at the wall for a moment before forcing herself to blink and look down at the bloody, tea covered mess her hand was in. With a heavy sigh, she spelled the wounds closed and dry, before clenching her fist again and bringing it down to her side. She glanced back at Roman, who was trying his level best to look calmer than her. But even he had murder in his eyes.

"The what?" he finally asked steadily, voice barely shaking. While he didn't know precisely what this box entailed, he had an imagination. None of the outcomes he was thinking of ended in the box being filled with candy or puppies.

Jetta was reeling. She knew Trinity had to have been through some awful things, but her imagination was spinning in a billion, horrible directions.

As if seeing the look on his wife's face leading her into anger at the people who hurt Trinity, Roman quickly soothed.

"We're not angry at you, Trinity. We're just angry at the idea of this box. What happened with it? Did anyone hurt you physically? Was it solitary confinement? I promise you, it's not normal. We've never heard of anything like it."

Well, that wasn't entirely true. Jetta used to lock herself in the closets of her childhood home, desperately trying to hide from her mother. But that was an almost willing confinement: a safety measure, if one could say such a thing. But this didn't sound like that. This sounded like some sort of punishment or even torture.

Roman knew Jetta said Trinity didn't remember where it was, but he was ready to storm this whole village and burn it to the ground.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Trinity jumped when he heard the glass shatter and reached for his wand. But Professor Delaney hand already cleaned the mess up by the time his fingers brushed smooth wood. He hadn't been expecting that reaction. Maybe The Box really was a thing. Maybe Professor Delaney had experience with it. Her reaction was similar to some that he remembered. People would always go still when The Box was brought out.

Mr. Delaney, however, seemed to be in the dark, so to speak. It might have been a European thing? So Trinity directed most of the answer his way. "It's... the size of a small coffin and yew... you go in it when... when you're bad. If you are very bad, they put beetles in it with you." He glanced at Professor Delaney to see if she wanted to chime in, but she seemed content to let him talk. "It's not that bad, unless they start crawling up your nose. It's hard to get them out because of the nails."

The Box was the most drastic of the punishments he remembered. But he always seemed to have gotten himself in trouble. He was always doing something the Mayor didn't like. And for a while, he tried his best to do everything perfectly right. But he couldn't. At some point, Trinity had realized he would be getting in trouble no matter what he did. So he had stopped carrying. He'd started taking the blame for the other kids.

Sitting there now in a comfortable chair, warm tea in his hands, he had realized that was one of the things he'd forgotten. He hadn't been a bad kid. That was... a relief.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Jetta had vague memories of Roman once reading something in a children's book to the kids about something similar. The major difference was, it had been fiction: a work of the imagination to make the villain seem all the more inhumane. The idea of a real person being thrown into a situation like that made bile rise up in her throat. Even though her own mother had tried to kill her on occasion, Jetta couldn't imagine even Agneta Havich doing something so evil. Beetles of all things, and likely the kind that could cause some sort of pain. She didn't imagine them pouring ladybirds in.

Roman meanwhile had heard of such things in real life. They were the resorts of the worst of the worst, the kind of monsters even other gang members wouldn't go near. And even then, he couldn't imagine them doing something like that routinely to a young child. Adults and maybe even teenagers, but someone under the age of 10? He'd seen evil, and he'd heard evil, but the evil being spoken right now shook him.

Moving before her husband snapped out of his reverie, Jetta quickly swept across the floor, kneeled, and took Trinity's face in her hands.

"That. Is. Not. Normal," she emphasized every word with a light shake and a pat to the sides of his hair. "That doesn't happen to other children. We would--I would--"

"Kill them. I'd kill anyone who even thought about doing that to one of our kids," Roman stated, rage swelling under his voice. He kept it in check though. He was intimidating at the best of times, and it was best not to accidentally scare the kid any more.

"My--my mother," Jetta started. "She was terrible. She hated me, and she did abuse me. But I don't think even she would have done something like that," Jetta said firmly. "That is not normal, Trinity, and I am so sorry you experienced it. Did--did it happen to other children too?" she imagined it did, and the thought made her feel ill.

Roman was reeling. This boy would need much more help than they could offer. But the likelihood of him wanting to tell the school's headmaster was low. Perhaps they could sneak in a therapist? Someone who dealt with abuse and cults and brainwashing like this?

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:01 am

That. Is. Not. Normal. Not. Normal. Not normal. Notnormal. Notnormalnotnormalnotnormal. The words replayed over and over again in Trinity's head, but they didn't make any since. He had thought... He didn't know what to think. Everything was kind of spinning just a bit and his brain was trying to shove things back in their boxes. And Mr. Delaney was saying something. Something about killing people?

"Killing is wrong," Trinity said quietly. He wasn't looking at Mr. Delaney, though. He was looking at Professor Delaney and seeing his mother. She would hold him like this sometimes. Late at night when there was no one else around. And sometimes his dad would ruffle his hair if no one was looking. They never would have hurt him like Professor Delaney's mum tried to hurt her. He knew that. He had forgotten that. How had he forgotten that?

"...did it happen to other children too?"

Trinity shook his head. "No. Not... when I was there." But he wasn't there anymore. He hadn't been there in five years. The boy felt bile rising up. As quickly as he could, he set his tea cup down and raced to the window, shoving it open. A dry heave rocked though his body and Trinity gagged, but there wasn't anything in his stomach to throw up. He took ragged breaths of the cold air, closing his eyes.

He could still feel the beetles crawling on his skin sometimes, late at night when he couldn't sleep. They had liked to bite when he was scared. So he had decided to stop being afraid of them. They stopped biting after that, but the other kids didn't know that. They would have been alone with the bugs and their fear. Because he hadn't been there to protect them. He took another breath of cold air before shoving the thoughts back in the box in his head.

Slowly, Trinity closed the window and turned around to face the quiet room. "I'm sorry. Ah--I'm better now." Or close enough. He walked back to his seat and perched on the edge. "The Box is not normal," it was said more for his own sake than for theirs. He could mark that off the list. "What about marriage?"

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 am

Jetta stilled and bunched her hands in frustration as Trinity ran to the window. She wanted to find whoever did this to this poor boy and strangle them with her own hands. Roman was clearly thinking the same, though he had been oddly cowed since Trinity's proclamation. He reached out a hand to steady Jetta, but really he was steadying himself as much too.

The implication hit them both at the same time. Not since I was there. Jetta and Roman turned to look at each other, faces serious as stone. They knew what they had to do now whether Trinity liked it or not. They wouldn't tell him, but they had to find this cult and wipe it out somehow, whether it be by reporting it to the police or the good old fashioned way. They had to make sure no other children went through something like this.

As Trinity came back, repeating what Jetta had said, he asked another question that made their collective blood run cold.

Not just for his sake. For Lyssa's.

"Well, son," Roman finally said after a bit of thinking. "How about Jetta and I say what marriage is to most people, and then you tell us what you know."

Jetta hesitantly started.

"Marriage is about love. Real, honest love. You find a person--man or woman--and sometimes you become friends first or sometimes you fall into affection or attraction first. But eventually you fall in love. And you decide you want to make a go of life with each other. Usually the man asks if it's a relationship between men and women, but not always--"

"She more or less informed me we were getting married," Roman said fondly. "She already knew how head over heels I was for her. We just had uh---something come up that made us want to get married a little faster."

That something was Jetta's first pregnancy with Lyssa and Dahlia. But Trinity didn't have to know that.

"But that's not usual," Jetta assured. "It was differing circumstances and we'd already discussed getting married before. And we were um....28 and 39 when we got married I believe? So we were old enough to make that decision. That's important," she said suddenly. "Children don't get married, of course," she added, hoping against hope that that was also true for Trinity.

"Yeah, you have to be at least 18 in the US to get married," Roman lied, remembering the stories of similar cults in the States.

"So yes, you have to be an adult, you ought to be in love--though sometimes things do happen that make people fall out of love and get divorced--" she thought of Aleksander and Ophelia, who she doubted had ever loved each other in the first place--, "and you promise to honor, love, and cherish each other. Some people have weddings and some people just get married in front of judges. We tried to do that," she grinned tiredly at Roman.

"As if your father was going to let the embarrassment of having me as a son-in-law get in the way of him and Victor throwing you a big wedding," he smiled back softly.

"Marriage is difficult sometimes," Roman admitted. "Sometimes you disagree. Sometimes you disagree a lot. I remember Jetta and I fought a lot over where the kids should go to school at first. But at the end of the day? That's still your best friend. The one person who has agreed to be there above and beyond anyone else. And all the fights and disagreements? They're worth it. Because at the end of the day, you and the person you marry will be stronger for them."