All Work is Homework in Boarding School

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Re: All Work is Homework in Boarding School

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Trinity's throat tightened and he forced his eyes away from the professor. They stung, and the last thing he needed was Professor Delaney seeing him break down. He reserved that for special times when he was completely alone. He was planning on telling her that he was fine and leaving as fast as he could, but for the first time in what felt like his whole life, a woman was look8ng ast him for consern for his well being.

And was he okay? No. No, he wasn't. He was very far from okay, but it wasn't her problem. There was nothing Professor Delaney could do, accept ending his suffering and being sent to Azkaban, and he wouldn't ask that of anyone. He'd do it himself, when the time came.

But then he thought of Lyssa, and maybe the time was growing farther and farther from him than it had a few months ago. He thought about Cana and the possible friendship there. No, he wasn't okay, but maybe he was sonl6 getting better.

With his throat still tight, Trinity flipped his sketch book back open and ripped the sketch of Lyssa out of it. Shoving it out at Professor Delaney he forced the words out. "Keep it."

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Oh dear. This was getting awkward fast. She could tell something was horribly wrong with the poor boy, but he was completely unwilling to open up--at least yet. As he ripped out the drawing and handed to her, she couldn't help but get a sinking feeling. A sense of dread and inevitability radiated off this boy.

Well, she at least had an idea of what was going on in one sense.

"Has anyone here ever talked to you about depression, dear?" she asked bluntly. "In my experience, those of us in the magical community are absolutely terrible about the issue of mental health, but a lot of us are trying to get better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you're going through--as in, you're a normal, valuable person, you just have something going on. Now, are you depressed because of something in your life? Or is it seemingly for no reason? Because I'm familiar with both types, and I'm entirely willing to help you. I just need an answer from you."

She reached out and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. She could feel bone. A vengeful anger flowed through her. How could this boy so skinny, in a castle with three meals a day? Had something happened at home that caused him to not keep up a good diet? She stilled her face and tried hard to make herself look open and sympathetic. She certainly felt those feelings; but oftentimes, her face didn't match the way she felt. Jetta hoped she would be able to get through to him. This child clearly needed her help somehow. And Jetta intended to be there to give it.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Trinity jerked back from the woman, more because of her words than her touch. He was slowly getting used to touch again. "Wot?" No one had ever talked to him about anything. He'd read about depressions in weather, in finances, in the earth. But... depression in people? He didn't see how it was done. "Ah'm--Ah'm not..." But he couldn't finish. How could he say he wasn't something if he had never heard of it before?

Swallowing hard, Trinity slowly shook his head. "Wot is it? Ment'l 'ealth?" It wasn't often that he came across something that he didn't understand, but he had never found anything like this in the Hogwarts library. Professor Delaney said that she understood. Understood him? He didn't think so, but maybe. Lyssa was so amazing, and some of that had to have come from her mother. Maybe, just maybe, she could help.

He couldn't bring himself to put that on anyone, though. It would mean he would have to talk to her about his memories, and based what he overheard other Muggleborn and Half-blood students say. His memories of the Muggle world were not common ones. What if it meant he was a bad person? Professor Delaney wouldn't have to make him stay away from Lyssa then. He would be sure to do it himself. She couldn't have any more bad people in her life.

But... he had to know. "Can... Ah ask yew somthin'?"

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Oh dear, this wasn't good. Jetta had certainly offended the boy, and now he was going to run off and tell everyone she was crazy or something. But soon he seemed to still, and was questioning her with hesitant curiosity. Well that was certainly a step in the right direction.

"Well," Jetta began slowly. "We all have bodies to take care of. We have glasses or spells for our eyes, when we can't see properly. We have potions when we get infections in our lungs. But what about the brain? The part of us that holds everything about who we are--all our hopes, fears, dreams, memories? The part of us that we build the concept of schools around, the part of us that guides and drives everything about every single person? What do we do when that gets sick?"

She was slowly loosening up and going more fully into teacher mode. She raised up from the desk back to full height, and began gesturing with her hands.

"Depression is a sickness of the mind," she explained. "Anyone can get it. Gods know I've had it," she added, hoping that opening up a bit would help him. "It can run in families through the blood or it can develop naturally out of a terrible situation. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain. The brain produces...things," she faltered, trying to remember this boy probably didn't know what serotonin or dopamine were, "that help us to feel happy. To feel loved. To feel...most positive emotions and even some negative ones. When the brain doesn't produce those, we feel...muted. Unhappy. Unable to experience emotions and life to their fullest. Like..." television fuzz was probably a bad comparison to make if this child was a pureblood....

"Potatoes," she finally said almost randomly. "Sure you can survive on mashed potatoes with milk, but after awhile, it gets boring. It gets tiring. You feel like you have nothing to look forward to when it comes to them. Sure they taste good and normal every once in awhile, but every single day? It...feels like there's no more light at the end," she trailed off. This was getting far too personal. As he continued to talk she shook herself out of it.

"Of course. You can ask me anything," she nodded.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Trinity chewed the inside of his cheek for a moment. He was beginni g to realize that she was a good teacher. Even though he'd never even heard of this subject, she was helping him to understand. And he was beginning to, in a way. But he still didn't know how to fix it or if it could even be fixed.

But before he could even think of that, he had a question that needed answering. "Are Muggles'n wizards raised aloke?" He licked his lips and cleared his throat, forcing himself to continue. "No tellie'vision, no vehicles. Jus' da same? Muggles are loke dat, yeah?" Her answer would be the answer to questions he's had for years. Since before his first Muggle Studies class. "Tell me day're loke dat."

The boy had to blink away the rush of memories. There weren't very many children where he grew up. He couldn't remember the exact number, because they kept changing. The older ones would go away and then there would be young ones again. He had thought when his parents left with him, that they were taking him to where the other older kids were. But they just left him here.

It wasn't that diffrent, really. There was magic, which was awesome, but everything else seemed normal. Until the other kids started talking. Now, he was completely unsure of what normal was.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 am

Jetta was temporarily at a loss for words. She wasn't entirely sure what the boy could be talking about. Finally, she broached the subject carefully.

"Well, there are some Muggle communities that don't believe in those things, that's certain. I don't know of any in Britain though," she added hesitantly. "There...really isn't a lot of crossover in the way purebloods are raised and the way Muggleborns are raised. Muggleborns are raised with pretty much all the amenities of modernity. Cars, television, internet, etcetera. I--do you know your own blood status? Not that it's important," she added quickly. "It's certainly not something anyone should be looked down upon over. My mother was a blood supremacist--is one--and I've cut all contact with her."

"May I ask why you want to know, my dear? Did you--have an...interesting home life growing up?" She didn't want to say the A word and spook the poor boy. And not having a car or television certainly weren't signs of an abusive or neglectful household. But certain things here weren't adding up for Jetta, and she was becoming increasingly more nervous about it.