All Work is Homework in Boarding School

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

All Work is Homework in Boarding School

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Trinity was used to sneaking in and out of classes, whether he was taking them or not. It was easy, when no one saw you. There were very few instances that made his invisablity worth it, but this was one of it. He got to sit back and listen without being forced to answer questions. He could repeat a class as many time as he wanted in order to fully understand what was being taught. He was able to just enjoy the art of the class.

He'd never quite enjoyed Muggle Study. It made him feel weird. Most of the things that were talked about weren't things Trinity remembered from his early life. He felt like he should know them, but he didn't. So, for the most part, he avoided the class.

Today was diffrent, though. He'd taken his free period and made his way to the back of the Muggle Study classroom. If asked, he wouldn't have been able to say what year it was or what had been taught, his mind had been occupied with watching Professor Delaney.

He was watching for aspects of Lyssa. It wasn't often he got to see a family unit. Sure, there were siblings about, but it wasn't the same. There was something about the parent-child relationship that called to him. He could see Lyssa in her mother, and shockingly some of Cana, too. It was something in the way she moved, the timber over her voice. He was almost mesmerized while watching her. So much so, that he almost hadn't noticed when the class ended.

Gathering his things, Trinity quickly shoved his parchment, quill, sketchbook, and ink into his satchel. If he hurried, he would be able to get to the library before all the good tables were taken.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Re: All Work is Homework in Boarding School

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:40 am

Jetta noticed many things. It was her skill as the youngest child of her immediate family. Thorunn was good at dealing with people. Aleksander was good at intimidating them. Jetta's skill was figuring things out about people. It made them an unstoppable trio in many ways, and since breaking it off to become a teacher, Jetta had to admit she was a bit bored. Boring was good, she reminded herself frequently. Boring didn't get your family death threats or worse. And yet, figuring things out about the lives of teenagers and children wasn't exactly high entertainment value the way figuring out which senator or lord was having an affair with which mistress was.

So when a student who was not on her roster and who clearly was older than the rest joined in the back of her classroom, she took notice. And she blessed the gods above for a brief distraction from trying to convince fourteen years old that really, politeness was important with Muggles because they were people too--yes, truly. While she spoke, she kept an eye on him for any suspicious behavior. But honestly, all he was doing was observing her, with a singular interest. She wondered if the boy had developed a crush, but something about that estimation seemed...off. He seemed to be looking for something in her.

She wondered if he'd found it. He'd seemed to have found something at least, judging by his complete ignorance of the class ending and filing out. She tilted her head at him and bit the inside of her cheek to keep from making a comment, wondering how long it would take for him to notice.

After he had sat there for awhile, he seemed to come out of his trance. As he rushed towards the door with his things, Jetta casually waved her wand and shut it. It wasn't locked, but the gesture was clear enough, she thought.

"I'm curious," she began carefully. "As to why you thought I would let you go without asking why you were here? You're clearly not a fourth year. And you didn't seem particularly interested in the subject matter, either. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Jetta didn't necessarily like that so many of the students seemed to be afraid of her, but she also wasn't above using that to her advantage when necessary. Smiling tightly, she sat on one of the tables, and gestured for him to do the same on the one across from her.

"I assure you that despite the stories the non-magical people around my home have said about me, I don't actually eat children," she joked, never taking her eyes off him. Something about him seemed a bit off; not necessarily in a bad way...more in an unfortunate way. If something or someone was causing this child distress, it was her responsibility to help after all. She tried to relax and look less...herself.

She failed. But it was the thought that counted.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 am

Trinity swallowed hard as the door slammed shut inches away from freedom. He loved nonverbal spells. They were so useful, he thought, but not when you were trapped alone in a room with a very powerful witch. Sure, he hadn't heard the lock click, but it was clear enough that he didn't have permission to leave.

He didn't know why he was so shocked. After all, both Lyssa and Cana could see him with no issue, why would he think Professor Delaney would be any different? Slowly turning, his satchel clutched to his chest, Trinity watched as the professor settled on one of the desks.

She was talking about fourth years and eating children and he was pretty sure she made a joke of some sort, but his brain was still spinning from being caught. He cleared his throat and adjusted his satchel across his chest. Fixing his tie slightly, he made his way over to the directed desk and leaned against ther corner.

"Truth?" He asked softly before shrugging, "Ah 'aven't been ta dis class'n years." It was hard to meet her gaze, but he forced himself to. Even with having two friends now, it was a strange feeling not to just be looked through. "Ah wan'd ta see wot it was about."

He hoped it was a good enough answer, because there was no way he was going to tell Professor Delaney he was here because of her daughter. After learning about Lyssa's tosser of an ex, a random bloke hanging around would not be a welcomed thing. He knew what he would do, if he saw someone as infatuated with Lyssa as he was. He wasn't an idiot. He knew the way he looked at her was dangerous. He was only her friend, but even still, it wasn't something you wanted to bring up to a woman who could use a whole list of spells he'd never even heard of to make him regret every thought he'd ever had.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 am

While Jetta was fairly sure she could throw this boy fairly far, the old saying still stood true. She didn't trust him as far as...someone weaker than her could throw him. At least, she didn't trust his answer. But she wasn't quite sure what he was about yet. Oh, well.

It would be interesting to figure that out, at least.

She smiled sharply, opening her arms and gesturing around.

"Well then! What have you missed specifically? What about my predecessor didn't catch your interest. Perhaps we can fix that!"

She again folded her arms across herself, making her shoulders look even broader.

"I assure you there is plenty this class is about. So what fascinates you? Transportation? Sciences? Medicine? There must be something."

She was toying with him a bit, trying to get a read on him, without being too awfully rough. There were plenty of ways for him to come out of this unscathed. She just wondered if he was bright enough to find them.

Jetta still though couldn't shake the feeling that something more was going on with this boy. He had a profound feeling of loneliness coming off of him that made him almost uncomfortable to look at. She wondered what caused it.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 am

Trinity bit his cheek to keep his feet still. Every ounce of his being wanted to run from the room and never look back. It wasn't in anything Professor Delaney was saying, her words were that of an encouraging teacher. It was her eyes that unnerved him. She had the same look Cana had had with the snake not that long ago. Like she wanted to see what he would do.

It was so new to him. He was used to the way most people looked at him, looked through him. He was slowly getting used to the way Cana looked at him, not as an equal but still a friend. He wanted to be used to the way Lyssa looked at him, like he wasn't a freak. But the way Professor Delaney was looking at him, like he was a science experiment, chilled him to the bone.

Obvously, she wouldn't be taking any half-truths, so he went with the one he already told her. "Wot Ah want is ta know why the od'er professor was lyin'ta ever'one," Trinity finally told her. It had really been the reason why he'd quit the class halfway through the year. The stupid child he had been had wanted some connection to his past, but the class had just upset him. "Wot Ah want ta know, is if yew'r gonna go'bout lyin'ta em'all, too."

He didn't think she would. After all, from what he understood Mr. Delaney was a Muggle. But he didn't want a teacher implanting false knowledge. It wasn't his main reason for being there, but it was enough of one, and one he believed in.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 am

Well, that was certainly interesting. He was still lying. But it was a good lie. A very believable one too. She'd heard rumors about the old Muggle Studies professor, but none of her colleagues had been willing to explicitly badmouth him. But there was something in the eyes of her students and in her colleagues when she discussed her lessons that made her know she thought differently than him. Perhaps a bit controversially at times. But, she thought, she always told the truth.

"I can't speak for the old professor," she finally stated. "But I can hazard some guesses. Misinterpretation. Willful ignorance. Colonizer mentality, perhaps? Thinking of non-magical people as a sort of exhibit, a cultural oddity instead of the majority of people in the world? Really, it could also be good old fashioned supremacy hidden in the lessons too. I wouldn't hazard a true guess without knowing the person, but clearly something was going on with him. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I would be similar," she added.

"I assure you though, I will always endeavor to do my best to tell the truth to you about Muggles. I realize that might seem empty coming from a pureblood, but my husband is a non-magical person, so I do value their culture, thoughts, and opinions a great deal. And I always make sure to have access to non-magical thought and information in case there's something I don't know."

She tilted her head at him curiously, much like she'd seen her own children and nieces and nephews do many times.

"Now. One more chance. Why are you really here? Is everything okay?" she added as sincerely as possible.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Trinity remembered how the last professor had lumped all Muggles together. All Muggles had at least two vehicles. All Muggles had a "television" in every room. All Muggles used "mobal phones" to communicate instead of talking face to face. He had never even heard of most of these things, and had only ridden in a vehicle a handful of times. But when he'd actually spoken out in class, the first time in years, he had been sent out of the room. He never came back.

It had only peen the introductory class, and Trinity had never returned, but the things Professor Delaney mentioned, he could believe. Looking at the professor now, he could see a possible discussion arising if anyone questioned her about her teaching. She didn't seem like the kind of persdon to punish for no reason.

Something settled in his chest then. He didn't know a thing about his culture or where he came from, save for the memories of an eleven-year-old boy. He trusted her, at least as a teacher. Part of him truly wanted to sit d own with her, ask questions, sort his memories out. But the smart part of his brain knew it was best to leave before the professor figured out who he was.

"Ev'rthing's fine," he told her, twisting and fixing the strap on his satchel. "I re'ly have ta--" he was going to say "go" but at that point, his satchel decided to break. Apparently, the strap didn't like being twisted and pulled in nervousness. As all the contents began to fall, the stopper to Trinity's ink bottle popped off.

Rushing forward, the boy grabbed the sketch book. Only the cover was speckled with ink, but he dipped through anyway. His heart was pounding against his chest, but calmed when he realized the only ink on the pages was what he put there. With a relieved sigh, he ran his fingers lightly over the image of Lyssa on the last marked page.

He had drawn her in mid-laugh, but wasn't able to really capture her. He had a feeling that not even the most skilled photographer would be able to truly capture Lyssa, though.

Snapping the book shut, he placed it on the desk next to him and fumbled for his wand to clean the mess.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:51 am

Jetta reached out to help him get the ink off his sketchbook when she froze.

The likeness was quite good.

She looked up from the sketchbook, directly at Trinity, eyes boring into his head. The look wasn't malicious--not yet at least; but whereas before it had been merely curious, this was outright seeking. She was now determined to discover the motivations and machinations behind this boy who'd dropped into her classroom.

"You have quite the talent for drawing," she stated neutrally, never quite managing to blink while looking at him. "Of course, there are some faces I'd recognize anywhere. How do you know my daughter Lyssa?"

She wasn't particularly surprised. Boys flocked to Lyssa like moths to a light, either to burn up in her brightness or lash out against it or get lost trying to make it all the way to the sky for her. Unfortunately, it seemed Lyssa tended to pick the lashing ones. And it was Jetta's job to make sure that didn't happen again.

This boy seemed more the burning up or getting lost type. While that wasn't exactly Jetta's ideal for her daughter, it was certainly more acceptable to her than what Lyssa had been through already. Part of the reason Jetta had quit her busy job was the guilt she felt at not seeing her daughter's suffering before it almost became too late. And now that she was here? She wasn't about to let it happen again.

She tiled her head again at Trinity, waiting for his response.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:24 am

Trinity closed his eyes and said a silent fairwell to his relationship with Lyssa. Of course Professor Delaney had seen the drawing. He was waiting for her to accuse him of stalking her daughter, something he wouldn't be able to deny, or calling other school authorities. Neither happened and the question hung in the air.

To break the silence, he whispered a quick spell and watched as his things filed back into his satchel. Slowly, he stood, but this time he didn't meet the professor's eyes. "Ah'm 'er friend," Trinity said softly, just above a whisper. He didn't comment on the fact that she was his friend. He was still expecting her to move on from him. Hoping against it, but expecting it.

For some reason, his cheeks were warm and his throat was tight. He had never wanted to be invisible before, but right then all he wanted was to find a dark corner and stay there until Professor Delaney forgot all about him.

Prof. Jetta Delaney
Professor

Post by Prof. Jetta Delaney » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 am

Just friends then. Well. Obviously, he wanted more than that. Jetta wondered if Lyssa felt the same way. He was an objectively decent looking young man with at least one viable talent. That alone might be enough for some teenage girls. Lyssa should know to be picky by now though. While her last ex was objectively the worst case scenario, none of the guys she'd liked had been winners in Jetta's book. Though perhaps a nice average boy like this was exactly what Lyssa needed right now. Heavens knew Jetta probably wasn't the best judge of character in men herself.

Jetta decided not to kill him just yet.

"Very well then. It's a lovely picture, I suppose," she admitted. "Perhaps you could make a copy for me sometime."

But something was still bothering her.

"Now, you never answered one of my other questions," she said more gently this time. "Are you okay?"