Truly and Sincerely {Gregory}

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Re: Truly and Sincerely {Gregory}

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:34 am

Cana could tell he'd said something wrong. He wondered if it was the offer of payment that Gregory had taken offense to. Whatever it was, he at least seemed willing to brush it off and continue talking with Cana. That was worthwhile at least.

"I realize we are still in school here and feelings and aspirations change, but - do you think you'll be taking over your family's business someday?"

Cana grinned slightly and shrugged.

"That's the plan. Right now, my grandfather is mostly retired. Dad, Aunt Thorunn, and formerly Aunt Jetta run the company instead. The plan is that one day myself, my cousin Bjørn, and my cousin Lyssa all take over the positions occupied by our respective parent. My dad does the research and development, my Aunt Thorunn does the negotiating, and my Aunt Jetta used to be in charge of acquisitions. I predict Bjørn and Lyssa will end up switching roles at some point though." He neglected to mention his prediction being because both would crash and burn otherwise. Lyssa was much better suited to handling the delicacy of negotiations, whereas Bjørn preferred to bulldoze right over everyone. Cana, though, was perfectly suited to the role his father set forth for him. It was almost comforting for him to know his future was mapped out for him this way. While he knew lots of other people, including his cousins, chafed against expectations, Cana thrived within them. Perhaps because his father's expectations so clearly matched Cana's own for for himself.

"Either that," he said, "or Bjørn will work in politics like his father, and my cousin Thyri will take over for him. It's really not clear what Bjørn wants to do right now. It's as you say I suppose. His feelings and aspirations are different than mine, I think."

"What about yourself? Do you have any post-Hogwarts plans?"

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Excellent.

As Cana talked, Gregory felt more and more pleased and interested. It struck him that this was a piece of good fortune that seemed nearly fated. If he believed in that sort of thing.
Gregory had worked so hard to prepare the way he had chosen for himself . .with encouragement from Aunt Mabel, of course. And yet here was one gold doubloon that just - fell - into his open palm!

That so rarely happened.

He realized he was even smiling! That was only surprising because he usually had to remind himself to do so and this time it had happened on his own. Havitch and Masterson would have a lucrative career in their futures, if he had anything to say about it!
Meeting in school was the icing on the cake.
No one could fully resist the old 'Old Gregory, eh? Of course! We went to school together!' bit. Invaluable. Especially given Gregory's own lack of charisma at times.

He needed more of these encounters.

A potions company that researched and tried new things! A resource that he could work with. He would help them out and they would assist him. It was almost as if the sun had broken through the clouds. He liked a student who really thought about the future, instead of letting the future hit them like a bludger.

Gregory nodded. "Very good. I always liked the sound of a family business. It seemed to me that they would have more experience, loyalty, tricks of the trade. As for me . . well, my father works at nothing much. Not anymore."
It galled him to mention Walter. Gregory never spoke of him at all if he could help it. But in this moment it seemed important.
"He is wealthy, so he doesn't need to work. He invests. Pretty good at it, too. I see myself going in a different direction. I want to work at the ministry. I am pretty ambitious and I am a hard worker. I'd like to work with law, but not as an auror. Maybe be on the Wizengamot someday."
That would do for now.

He never shared his real goal. When he became Minister of Magic, he wanted it to seem like a surprise.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:11 am

Cana genuinely found himself in a rare situation: (platonically) liking a guy and enjoying his company within the first few minutes. While Cana was known for getting on fairly well with girls, his skills with his own gender were...lacking. It was often joked that it was a good thing he and Gabe met each other early, otherwise things would have gone very poorly. But Gregory seemed to have an understanding of how things worked and should be--at least for now. Cana smiled.

"And can you believe there were people who wanted us to go public with the company a few years ago? Grandfather wasn't having it, for all of the reasons you mentioned. If I have any say about it, it will stay with us. I won't be beholden to people who have no vision," he gestured vaguely. "And you're definitely right. There's no way I'd share family secrets with anyone other than my future children or family's children. It's just...I don't like the idea of it. At all. Not out of some blood obsession, just...family is family."

He listened carefully as Gregory described his father. Cana had met plenty of men like Mr. Masterson in his time and he wasn't exceptionally impressed with any of them. They hung around his family in droves, leering at his mother and with secret countdown clocks until each of his sisters and female cousins turned eighteen. It made him deeply uncomfortable Gregory seemed very different to his father, if the way he spoke of him was accurate.

"Forgive me if I'm overstepping, but you seem to have a lot more ambition than he does. I appreciate that as a quality," he smiled. "Not that investing doesn't require some modicum of--" sheer dumb luck "--talent. But politics is much trickier. My uncle's made a career out of it, and he's scary good. Muggle politics though, and American. Whole different game I've been assured," he grinned. "Though people, I imagine, have much the same weaknesses and ambitions everywhere."

He wasn't sure how familiar Gregory was with Muggle politics, nor was he sure how polite name dropping his uncle as a senator would be. His uncle was a controversial figure at best amongst Muggles. In fact, if Cana squinted, he could see a touch of Uncle Robert's nature in Gregory.

"I think you'll do very well in it, if that's what you set your mind on," Cana nodded. It wasn't idle flattery. Cana wasn't suited to that, especially in platonic situations. "I think, if things keep going according to the way they should, we'll both live exactly the lives we hope."

Cana nodded with more confidence then her felt, and willed himself not to think about his darker, self-destructive tendencies and the little orange bottle of Muggle pills in his bookbag.

This was better. Talking with someone on your playing field. Thinking about the future.

Those were good signs, right?

Gregory H. Masterson
Seventh Year

Post by Gregory H. Masterson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:54 am

Gregory wasn't sure about the whole, 'family is family' thing. In his experience, family could be nothing but disappointment and embarrassment, but he agreed with everything else Cana was saying.

A tiny voice in the back of his head whispered that Hazel was important, for not other reason than being family. He ignored that. His sister was another matter entirely.

At Cana's remark about his ambition, Gregory smiled again (goodness, he was being positively giddy!) more wolfishly and said "You're not overstepping at all! I consider that a compliment, thank you. I take after my mother. She is also an ambitious person. I simply seek to reach my potential and not waste the education I have received." He worked to keep the sardonic edge out of his tone.

He was then taken aback to hear that Cana's uncle was in politics! But Muggle. He relaxed. That was interesting, but wouldn't pose any conflict. He might even glean something useful there.

Gregory opened his mouth to speak - but then Cana complimented him. Again. This one . . meant something. He didn't want it to, but it was difficult to get encouragement for something when you never talked about it to anyone. He didn't like how much he drank it in. It showed a weakness in him. Perhaps he should speak to AUnt Mabel - she would help him toughen up.

"Thank you." He spoke sincerely. More so than he had spoken to anyone in . . . he couldn't even remember how long. Gregory cleared his throat and tried to regain his mask. "I believe we shall."
SUddenly he realized that the storm had died down and a few weak rays of sunlight were bravely breaking through the clouds. He needed to get to the owlry and check on Ophelia. See if she had returned.
He stood and said. "Well, Cana, it looks like this is the start of a promising partnership! I should have the feathers by this weekend, with a bit of luck. I'll see if we can get a classroom to work in, as well, away from interruptions from squeaky first years. I'm very glad I ran into you."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:50 am

"And I, you," Cana nodded at a retreating Gregory, with a smile.

This would be intriguing. While Cana had had his brother and boyfriend to help back home, neither of them were as truly invested in his research as Gregory seemed to be. Things certainly had the potential to get ugly in the future if they had a sort of disagreement over proprietary rights, but Cana didn't want to consider that just yet. No, he was semi-floating in the high of having made an acquaintance--potentially a friend--close to his own age.

Looking back at the book, he sighed. He had a few ideas for how to make it work the way he told Gregory.

And if he played his cards right?

He could totally make it work for him too.

He'd just have to see how things went on Saturday, to see if he could share some of his further plans for the potion with Gregory. Times would tell, oh yes. Times would tell.