Racing Curfew (OPEN)

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Angela Deville
First Year

Racing Curfew (OPEN)

Post by Angela Deville » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 am

Angela was walking down the castle corridor with yes, a pile of books. She was the typical Ravenclaw, always having at least one book either in her hands, in her bag, or near her while she read something else. She had just been in the library, when she noticed the passing time and slowly gathered her things to leave for her common room. But after a few wrong turns and countless moving staircases that seemed to be moving her further away on purpose, she was extremely lost and didn’t know how long she had until curfew. She was starting to get anxious, not having a watch or a clock nearby.

Along the way, she had asked a few portraits but they seemed to be more concerned with talking about themselves, rather than pointing her towards where she wanted to go. One knight was asking to fight and Angela had been frightened afterwards that she avoided looking at the portraits altogether as she made her way.

Even more peculiarly, she seemed to be going further down rather than up and she was sure at this pace, she was going to hit the dungeons soon. Her arms ached from the pile of books that she was holding onto tightly and her bag full of parchment and ink bottles with unfinished homework essays didn’t leave any room for them. Her pace slowed slightly. She had no idea where she was!

Further along the dark corridor, she though she saw someone. “Hello?” she almost whispered. Was it a student? Perhaps a professor? Was she not yet late for curfew?

She neared the figure at the end of the corridor, and she thought it was someone who she could ask directions to. As her feet quickened, they also tangled with one another and Angela took a tumble, her books flying everywhere. She let out a small shout while her knees hit the floor hard, most likely leaving bruises.

Lacey Burke
Third Year

Re: Racing Curfew (OPEN)

Post by Lacey Burke » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 am

Lacey wasn't in the habit of wandering around the Dungeons. She wasn't much of an explorer, even if the school was brand new to her. The Lake was another matter entirely. Ever since that very first evening inside the common room, when she'd seen the greenish light that emanated from the water seep in through the ornate windows, she'd known that she needed to have a closer look. She'd heard that it was common practice for the First years to approach the Castle via boats on their first evening at Hogwarts, which had left her with a sense of envy. Unless she constructed a raft of her very own, she would never know what it was like to travel across the vast expanse of water... while an ancient beast lurked in its shadowy depths.

She had been on her way back to the commons after one of her walks around the Lake when she saw a figure approaching. Small and female, the poor thing was carrying an intimidating stack of books all on her own. As the girl approached, Lacey realised that she didn't know her. It was likely someone from another house who'd forgotten something in the Dungeons and wanted to retrieve it before heading back to their own common room.

"Hello?"

It was barely a whisper, but it was definitely tinged with uncertainty. Though Lacey kept up her pace, the figure ahead of her sped up, then stumbled. The stack of books she'd been carrying went to the ground while she herself landed on her knees with a painful thwack. Without missing a step, Lacey gathered one or two of the heavy tomes that had skidded in her direction before coming to a halt in front of the girl.

"You should be more careful," she remarked, not unkindly. "They tell me the ghosts down here aren't like the ones you find floating around the castle. They're darker, somehow and if they see you down here, on your knees..."

Lacey's voice trailed off, though she was now smiling.

"What are you doing down here, anyway? I don't know you."

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 am

Angela was petrified. Her knees smarted because of her fall and her face was bright red from embarrassment and fright. She scrambled for her books, the total coming to two missing. Where were the other two? She looked around and saw the figure already so near her, near enough that Angela was certain it was a girl, about her age or maybe a little older. In her hands were the two books that Angela had not yet reached for. ‘Did she see my fall?’ Angela thought. Most likely she had, and that had been the reason she had rushed to Angela’s side and picked her books up.

Angela listened to the girl mentioning the ghosts of Hogwarts. Angela had met the Ravenclaw ghost, The Grey Lady. The Grey Lady was the daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw and always seemed quiet and depressed. Angela did not wish to meet any more ghosts, especially ones that were more frightening than the few that she already had the unfortunate experience of meeting already.

Angela got up, now with her large pile of books in tow. “Thank you,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

She had gotten much better at talking to new people, but she was still painfully shy and had a difficult time speaking first. She had met more people than ever before at Hogwarts, always living a secluded life back home and each encounter with a new person was slowly helping her open up. However she could never lose the jitters that occurred whenever a new conversation started.

Angela breathed a sigh of relief when she got a good look at the other’s face. The girl had dark hair and dark eyes, looking similar to Angela in that respect. However she was much taller than Angela was. The way Angela was looking up at the girl, she seemed to be at least a half foot or so taller than she was. It wasn’t common to find someone as short as Angela was. The girl was smiling down at Angela, and Angela felt her ever present blush again.

As the girl asked Angela the reason why she was down near the dungeons, Angela carefully caught her breath after the exhilaration of her run and fall eased away.

“I… I’m looking for the Ravenclaw common room, but I couldn’t find my way. I’m Angela Deville and I’m in my first year. In Ravenclaw!” Angela looked around to see if there was anything that could indicate the time. However the dungeons and the corridors near there had to windows to peer through and because the castle was always dark despite the lanterns that lit the dim hallways, there was no indication of the time that could be found.

Angela had a worried look on her face. “I’m sorry, but do you know how long there in until curfew? I… I don’t want to be late.”

Lacey Burke
Third Year

Post by Lacey Burke » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 am

Ravenclaw?

Well, that explained the uncomfortably large stack of books. It was amusing how easily students slipped into the stereotypes that four fussy founders had come up with centuries ago. Lacey supposed the girl could have been on her way back from the library or something. It wouldn't explain why she needed to carry so many books all at once, but then the absence of personal lockers at Hogwarts did make things more awkward than was necessary.

Lacey handed Angela the two books, then took a step back to give the girl some room to breathe. The first year was still a bit out of breath and flushed from her fall, which is probably why she seemed so disoriented. When she finally asked about the curfew, Lacey understood why she'd had been in such a rush. She supposed the first years were more closely monitored than the rest, especially since they were more prone to getting lost (as the Ravenclaw standing in front of her just proved).

"Roughly twenty minutes, I'd say," Lacey replied, not bothering to look at her watch. By this time, she had a good idea of how long walk around the Lake usually took, which meant she still had plenty of time to get back to her common room. "The bad news is that you've been heading the wrong way, so you're very far from either of the towers. It will take you much longer than twenty minutes to get back, especially carrying all of those books of yours."

It was true. If Angela knew exactly where she was going (which Lacey doubted at this point, to be frank), she'd have to run at full tilt to make curfew. Any interruptions or unforeseen events would make her late.

"The good news is that there is a short cut, but we'd need to head a bit deeper into the dungeons, past the Potions classroom to find it. There might be ghosts, but they tend to leave the Slytherins alone anyway." Lacey paused, looking the girl up and down. "My name is Lacey. If you want, you can tell me about your favourite classes while we walk. Unless you want to go the long way, in which case I'll just give you directions from here."

Honestly, it was all the same to Lacey. If the girl in front of her had been in Gryffindor (or, she supposed, Hufflepuff) the chance of them taking her up on her offer would have probably been really slim. There was no reason for her to help Angela, yet something about the girl reminded her of her younger self - lost and a little bit confused at times. Besides, she was yet to bump into a first year that was proper minion material. Perhaps this one had more potential than the rest.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 am

Angela gasped and said, “Oh no,” when she heard that she only had about twenty minutes until time was up. She hadn’t exactly heard about what happened to students who were out of bed after hours but she did not want to find out. And she was so far from the Ravenclaw common room. Her heart fell when she heard that she had been going the wrong way all this time. And she was sure she would be late. She had never broken the rules before. She had lived a strict life at home under her inattentive mother and austere father. She was always sheltered in the library. If she followed the rules, nobody thought anything else of her and she was allowed to read her books in peace. And now, she was to become a delinquent.

It was a first that Angela actually regretted spending time with her books. She had taken too long in the library and she was cutting it close when she was leaving so late. Perhaps she should start looking for things to do outside the library. And maybe meet more people that were not dashing around with dragons or were mere words on paper.

Angela breathed out a sigh of relief at the mention of a short cut. The girl’s name was Lacey and was a Slytherin considering that she seemed confident that the ghosts of the Dungeons would leave her be. Angela was sure that following this stranger may have been a risky move considering the reputation of Slytherins, but all other Slytherins Angela had met were perfectly polite and nice to her and she was willing to take the risk if it meant she could get back to the common room as quick as possible. And perhaps if she was lucky she would be able to meet another person who would be a friendly face among the crowds.

“Thank you,” Angela said, accepting the invitation of help. “I’d like to take the shortcut please, if you could show me the way.”

Angela hoisted the rest of her things and made sure her bag was secure next to her. She made her way next to the girl, ready to start for her Hogwarts home.

The conversation didn’t start up immediately and Angela remembered what Lacey had said before about her favorite classes and decided to start with that.

“Um, I like Transfigurations,” Angela said with a slight blush. She hadn’t actually liked any class more than the others but after meeting another Slytherin who helped her so diligently in tutoring her. Afterwards she had done so much better in that class as well as a few others. “I also like Potions. You just have to follow the steps right so it’s better than channeling magic.”

Angela shivered as the air grew cold and slightly eerie. “Is it usually cold here?” She only ever came to the Dungeons when it was for Potions class and that was always during daytime. Angela swore she could see a light mist or fog forming around the two girls.

Lacey Burke
Third Year

Post by Lacey Burke » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm

"Of course I'll show you the way."

Lacey waited until Angela had all of her books and things balanced before she started strolling back in the direction she'd been coming from. She'd stumbled onto this shortcut by mistake on a rainy evening. Instead of getting drenched, she'd crawled through an open window into what she thought was a storeroom. But store rooms didn't have cellars,as this one had and this cellar had taken her into one of the darkest passageway inside the dungeons. From there, it had only been a matter of looking to find the painting that led to the Slytherin common room.

There were a few moments of silence, when the two dark haired girls simply allowed the corridor walls to lead them through the near dark. Then Angela spoke up again, speaking of Transfigurations and Potions. Lacey nodded along in silence. She liked those two as well, though not nearly as much as her pet subject. Angela was still a bit young to take Divination, so there was no point talking about it right now.

"Is it usually cold here?"

"The whole year, yes," Lacey replied, shrugging. "It's because we are so close to the Lake down here. The damp seep into the walls and the sunlight doesn't reach down here to warm things up again, so it stays cold." Truth be told, Lacey was still getting used to living in these underground conditions. The last two years before she'd transferred to Hogwarts, she'd spent her time in a roomy two bedroom apartment in Giethoorn with Edna, her tutor. The apartment had formed part of a thatched farm that had been built on a peat island that had been connected to other islands by way of hundreds of wooden bridges. Even then, she'd loved to be close to the water. Now she lived under a lake, while back then her bedroom window had afforded her a marvelous view of the tiny boats that were used to move from one island to the next.

"It's not so bad, really. And it's a good thing that the Potions storerooms are down here," she said, pointing to one of the rooms that only Professor Whittemore had access to. "Most Potions ingredients are really temperature sensitive, so keeping them in cool conditions, away from sunlight is ideal." Lacey pulled a face. "You do NOT want to sniff lacewing flies that had been exposed to too much heat, believe me."

She smiled at the younger girl as the two of them passed the official Potions classroom, then indicated a corridor that led to the left.

By now, the darkness seemed to press at the two girls from all sides. There were still lanterns on the walls, like in the rest of the Dungeons, but the light that emanated from them weren't enough to pierce the solid blackness. Then there were the shadows. Phantoms that resembled ghouls and goblins danced across the rough surface of the stone walls. They were born of the flickering lantern light, but seemed to take on a life of their own.

If Lacey had been even slightly claustrophobic, panic would have set in at this stage. Thankfully the girl knew exactly where she was going.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Angela hurriedly followed Lacey through the damp corridors. Her eyes darted here and there as the shadows seem to come alive around her. She had never liked dark places, always falling asleep at early hours and never having ventured out after the sun set. She was perfectly happy with staying indoors near a never ceasing fire where the light too, never went out. There was a reason she had not been even remotely considered a Gryffindor. Not only was she shy as can be, but she also had not even an inkling of courage. And so she made sure she was never more than a step away from Lacey. As much as her eyes shifted from wall to wall, in between each glance, her eyes also made sure of her guide.

Following a Slytherin through dark corridors may have been a risk since this way, if the girl ahead of her left Angela wherever they had been passing, Angela would never be able to find her way on her own. But even as this thought popped up in Angela’s mind, strangely enough she felt safe with this stranger. Was it because she had a slight older sister quality to her? Or maybe the way Lacey kept the conversation flowing between the two.

The mist did not fade away but Angela soon grew accustomed to the cold which, according to Lacey’s explanation, seemed to be ever present in the depths of the dungeons. And the following reasoning regarding potions ingredients left Angela in awe.

“I’ve never thought about how temperature was important in Potions,” and she thought of how haphazardly she kept her potions kit in the warm dormitories of the Ravenclaw tower. It was likely the reason some of her potions turned out bland and semi-adequate. She vowed to learn a cooling charm if possible as soon as she could so she could cast it over her leftover potions ingredients.

Then the two girls finally arrived at a recognizable location, Angela let out a small sigh of relief. It was the Potions classroom! Even in the dark she was able to recognize the familiar doorway, most easily because even during the day the corridor of the Potions classroom was dimly lit. But even though Angela finally in distinct surroundings she could recognize, her heart fell because she knew that the Potions classroom was far from where she meant to be. And she was sure there wasn’t enough time to get to the common room on time. But she had a small feeling of hope and confidence in her guide and even with only a sliver of hope, she knew her best bet was left with following Lacey.

As Angela thought this through and kept following Lacey, she forgot about the frightening shadows cast upon the walls No longer was she afraid of her surroundings. At least, until she heard a hint of a roar as if a lion was making a rumbling cry far away.

“Oh dear!” Angela shouted as she let her books fall onto the floor once more and her hand frantically reached out for Lacey’s robe. Her face was pale, more than usual, and her eyes were wide open, full of fear.

Angela listened with rapt ears as her eyes peered at the darkness, but with no more sound or visible difference, she slowly caught her breath. It was then that she found her fists clenched around Lacey’s robes. Bright red coloring seeped into Angela’s previously pale cheeks. “Oh, I…! I’m sorry! I didn't mean to! There, there was a sound!” Angela yelled out apologies as her hand fell and she bent down to collect her books which thankfully did not fall far from where she stood.

Lacey Burke
Third Year

Post by Lacey Burke » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am

Deeper and deeper into the dungeons the pair of them went, past the familiar territory of the Potions classroom. This corridor was more clearly lit than some of the previous ones, though it was still quite dark. Angela was following very close behind her. Thankfully the girl's nerves seemed to have abated for the moment. She was following briskly behind Lacey, having a chat with the older girl as they went along. The cold was bothering the Ravenclaw more than anything else, which was understandable. Being from Ravenclaw, she'd be accustomed to a nice, airy tower that was always filled with sunlight. Down here the damp could get into your chest within minutes. It took a while to get used to it.

The two girls were walking along when Angela suddenly let out a cry and dropped her books again. Lacey felt a hand clutch at her robes and she spun around, just in time to see the other girl on her knees in the dark. She was still hanging onto the hems of the Slytherin's robe, her eyes wide. Ignoring the girl for the second, Lacey peered over her head, trying to make out a figure in the dark. Something must have spooked the girl enough for her to drop like that and since Lacey hadn't seen anything, it could very well have come from behind. The darkness held nothing that could harm them. With her eyes now more than accustomed to the dark, Lacey could even see the rough surface on some of the walls. What she didn't see was Angela's ghost.

“Oh, I…! I’m sorry! I didn't mean to! There, there was a sound!”

"A sound?" Lacey hadn't heard anything out of the ordinary. Apart from the twin footfalls, huffs of breath and their voices, there hadn't been a noise for several minutes. Angela could have just been imagining it, but then Lacey was so accustomed to the dungeons now that a subtle noise could very well pass her by. By this time, the younger girl had started to gather her books again - a sign that the two of them would be able to continue on their trek soon.

"Can you walk?" Lacey asked softly, giving Angela a bit of room to get to her feet. "The room we're looking for is only two corridors away. Then there will be stairs up to a window... and then you'll be safely outside." It was obvious that the Dungeons were making the other girl nervous, so getting her out into the open night air should calm her down. More than anything, Lacey wanted help Angela toughen up a little bit, either by actually scaring her or showing her that, if you could keep a cool head, there was never really anything to be afraid of. Tonight would not be the ideal night to do either, though. Not with them still so far from the tower, this close to curfew.

The baptism of fire would need to wait until another night.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Angela took deep breaths. She no longer heard any sound and she was sure that if there was some entity besides her and Lacey in the corridor, it would have made its presence known by now. And she knew that there was not a lot of time to dally in the hallways. She only had a few more minutes to spare until time was up. As she held on tightly to her books she answered Lacey.

“I’m okay, I mean, I can walk now. I’m sorry.”

And sorry she was. Lacey was being a caring guide to Angela, who was all nerves and spooks. And she was grateful to the girl who was acting more like an older sister than another student. Angela hurriedly followed Lacey once more.

There was something else that was worrying Angela though. “Lacey,” she whispered. Although her voice was low, she was sure with the quiet surroundings, Lacey would be able to hear Angela perfectly well. “How are you going to get to your common room?”

Angela understood that by getting closer to the Ravenclaw common room, they were heading in the opposite direction from the Slytherin common room. She was sure that where they had started from was nearer to the quarters of the Slytherin students. She hoped that by helping the lost Ravenclaw, Lacey wasn’t putting herself into any trouble. Would she be able to find her way back to her own common room in time, even after helping Angela find hers?

With this concern in her heart, Angela moved as quickly behind the other girl as she could. She was still frightened but now that she had a terrible fright before, somehow she got more accustomed to both her scary whereabouts and the presence of someone else. According to the older girl, they were looking for a room that would soon show up. Angela counted the passing corridors so as to concentrate on anything but her surroundings. She thought it might have been getting lighter with each passing portrait. Wait, portraits!

“There are portraits Lacey!” Angela said with glee. There had been no portraits in the deep depths of the dungeons. There had been only dimly lit brick walls with dark shadows dancing upon them. However the corridor they currently were in had sparsely placed portraits. The portraits were empty, or those that had anyone in them had subjects that were sound asleep. No matter the pictures though, Angela was relieved that she finally had more friendly surroundings than before.

Lacey Burke
Third Year

Post by Lacey Burke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 pm

They were on their way again.

This time, Lacey kept an eye on the younger girl, lest she catch another fright. They'd actually been making good progress until Angela had heard that noise. It worried Lacey that she hadn't heard a thing herself. Either the other girl had a vivid imagination, or Lacey had become so accustomed to the dark depths of the dungeons that she no longer picked up on subtle threats. She sort of hoped it was the former, but there was no way to tell right now.

“How are you going to get to your common room?”

"Oh don't worry about me," Lacey replied carelessly, smiling in Angela's direction. She doubted she'd get in much trouble if she was only a few minutes late. The professors rarely patrolled the Dungeons this early in the evening, so as long as she didn't run into an adult on her way back, she should be fine. Unlike the common rooms in the towers, the one in the dungeons did not have a guardian; there was neither a portrait nor a door knocker to receive the students. The entrance was hidden, but the correct password would reveal the common room regardless of the time of night. Lacey had seen enough older students sneak in and out of there to take this as gospel.

Though Angela seemed truly overjoyed to see the portraits, Lacey was less than enthusiastic about their appearance. She honestly didn't know how she felt about the frame dwellers that littered the walls throughout the castle. While one or two were impressive, most were noisy and often quite rude. Thankfully most of them were asleep at this time of night, though for the life of her Lacey couldn't think why they would need sleep at all. Even while visiting other parts of the castle, it's not like any of the paintings did anything that they needed to recover from. Mostly they just lounged about, commenting on the students and the weather.

"Yes, portraits," Lacey echoed, walking straight past a juggler that had fallen asleep with its three flaming torches still suspended mid-air. In any other place that would be deemed a serious fire risk, but not at Hogwarts. Lacey did well to avoid the still flickering flames as she reached past the portrait and opened a narrow door. She had left the door unlocked after her last excursion, only bothering to latch the window that opened onto the grounds.

The door was barely wide enough for Lacey to fit through, but she squeezed in anyway. At first glance the room would look like a supply closet, though it was quite a bit bigger than that. In one of the corners there was a really large wooden chest, while the opposite wall had several hooks protruding from the dark brickwork. In the very back of the room was a set of dusty wooden steps that led straight up, then disappeared out of sight.

All of this remained hidden for the moment, as it was much too dark to see anything.

"Step inside, then light your wand," Lacey said in hushed tones, holding the door open for Angela. The Slytherin would need her own wand to get them out of the room, otherwise she would have lit the way for them herself.