A Bad Case of Charms [Medea]

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Remi Tang
Fifth Year

A Bad Case of Charms [Medea]

Post by Remi Tang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Remi always appreciated having classes with Hufflepuffs because they always seemed to be the most patient partners when she took an entire class period to cast half a spell. (And they always seemed to be the kindest when her spells backfired and ruined their robes or sent one of them to the Hospital Wing.) Right now they were practicing incendio which she hadn't really mastered in first year and had since slipped her mind entirely.

Oh, her candle almost flickered to life that time!

"Ugh, I hate this," she groaned, flopping on the desk. "Can I just flunk out now?" Not that she would have been doing much better in a Muggle school, but at least there she'd be in less danger of setting her classroom on fire.

"Incendio," she grumbled from her lazy sprawl, half-heartedly waving at the candle in front of her, and this time she got a hearty flame! Unfortunately, it was on the end of another student's robes.

"Shit! Shit, sorry!" she shouted as she hopped her to feet and jumped on the smoldering spot, dancing on the charred spot. "Oh man, sorry, that was an accident." Kill her now, it would be quicker...

Medea Kelly
Fifth Year

Re: A Bad Case of Charms [Medea]

Post by Medea Kelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm

"Remi, you're not going to flunk out. Not if I can help it. I'm sure you can manage this if you try." Medea, bless her, has the patience of a saint. This is fairly basic Charms work that she mastered ages ago but she totally gets why it can be hard! So she's going to stick to it with Remi here.

"Give it another--Eek!" Medea yelps as her robes catches fire and she leaps to her feet, yelping in alarm as Remi stomps on her robes to put out the tiny flicker of flame. The smell of singed fabric lingers in the room and Medea heaves a small sigh, her brow furrowing as she looks down at her robe.

"It's fine, it's fine, really! I can fix it--" She lifts the hem of the robe up and points her wand with a delicate flick of her wrist. "Reparo," she murmurs and the burned cloth knits itself back together as if nothing had happened at all in the first place.

"You can produce a good flame, you just need to focus on making it go where you want it, Rem. Really, you're better at this than you give yourself credit for!" Leave it to a Hufflepuff to be positive and upbeat about this.

"Make sure you have some wrist motion. Like this! Incenido," Medea murmurs and flicks her wand towards the candle in front of them. It bursts cheerily into life and burns there until Medea leans forward to blow it out.

"Try again!" It's probably a little sickening how positive she is.

Remi Tang
Fifth Year

Post by Remi Tang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Medea was too sweet for her own good. "Seriously, I'm sorry about that. You should, um, maybe stay back a bit..."

Medea showed Remi the motion again and she kept trying to copy the wrist movement right, but she was just not cut out for this stuff. When she was at home her mom tried hours of private tutoring and "bonding time" over spellwork, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, to her mother's chagrin.

But the options were to admit defeat in front of Medea or just keep barreling forward until something caught fire.

"How are you so good at this?" she asked, patting out the spark that had caught on her parchment. At least she was getting closer to the candle. "I mean, this does not come naturally to me at all and you seem to pick it up just fine. You've gotta have some trick."

When she first arrived, Remi assumed she'd have a hard time with magic having grown up entirely in the muggle world. But then so many of her Muggleborn classmates were outstripping her and after awhile she just had admit she was bad at magic and that's all there was to it. Still, they had to be tapped into something obvious that she'd missed.

"Aha!" The candle sparked to life for a moment before the flame choked itself out. Too small to survive. "There, I got it. Flame made and targeted at the candle. Lets do something else now, yeah? There have got to be some better spells to practice," she said as she flipped through her textbook. Something less flammable...

Medea Kelly
Fifth Year

Post by Medea Kelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Medea watches intently as Remi goes through the motions again. She even mouths the incantation along with her. A small frown as the parchment catches, then an excited clap of hands as the candle briefly flares into life! She shakes her head at Remi and reaches out to stop her from flipping the page.

"No, you almost have it! Please? Just try a few more times? You're getting so close I can feel it." Medea gives Remi a pretty good approximation of puppy dog eyes and even bats her eyelashes a little. The question doesn't really catch her off guard but she does feel a pang of sympathy. Struggling like this was difficult when you were a First Year, let alone when you were in Fifth... Medea heaves a small sigh and leans over to wrap an arm around Remi's shoulders and give a comforting squeeze.

"I've worked really hard at it, to be honest. Also I really love Charms, so it's kind of like... Uh... It's fun for me! And I was super into magic when I found out I was going to come to Hogwarts. Drove my mum and dad crazy begging them to let me practice and asking when I was going to get a wand and everything." She gives a wan smile, trying to find the right words to encourage the other girl.

"Maybe you're focused too much on the result of the spell and not on the process? Or you're too anxious and it's getting you a bit mixed up? If I could I'd bottle whatever it is that lets me do so well. But I know you can do it, really! You just have to keep working, Remi."

Remi Tang
Fifth Year

Post by Remi Tang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Remi sighed dramatically, flopping her book back to the chapter on Incendio and trying to play off her real frustration as a sort of overdramatic joke. She was fine. It was fine. Everything was fine.

She stuck her tongue out at Medea as she went back to casting the spell. At least the other girl was kind about how bad Remi was at wand work. She tried not to get too embarrassed when Medea wrapped an arm around her shoulders in a half-hug, but she was pretty sure her cheeks were pink. It was equally nice and humiliating that she needed the comfort.

"Magic seemed a lot more appealing to me before I realized it required so much school in the middle," Remi joked, getting the candle to light again, though the wick still wasn't holding the flame. "Did they ever adjust to having a magic kid? That's gotta be a hell of an adjustment." Diagon Alley was still surreal to her whenever she had to pick up school supplies. It felt like a weird film set, and even after five years part of her always expected everyone to jump up and reveal she'd been getting Punk'd for half a decade.

Now OWLs were around the corner and her classmates were starting to think about their careers. What jobs they'd want in the Ministry or industries they'd want to apprentice in, and the world they were talking about still didn't feel entirely real to her.

"Hey Medea, do you think you're going to stay in the Wizarding World? You know, after graduation." Remi didn't feel particularly equipped for a career in this world, but she also hadn't gotten her GED so she probably wasn't equipped for college in the Muggle world either.

Medea Kelly
Fifth Year

Post by Medea Kelly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Medea doesn't mean to make Remi feel humiliated or anything! She just wants to help, really. She sits back to watch as Remi continues her efforts, nodding in approval when she gets the candle to light again, even if it doesn't take. She reaches out and carefully adjusts Remi's grip on her wand briefly.

"Try that..." She murmurs, brow furrowing. Then Remi starts talking about, well, life, and she's distracted from her efforts at instruction.

"Oh, huh. I mean, mom's sister was a witch? And she knew about that? So I think that she half-expected me to be a witch as well, right?" She laughs. Her voice is an almost melodic Ulster accent. "Dad was a bit surprised, but mum and Aunt Lilian sat him down and gave him the whole story, so he caught on real quick. I was like a duck to water! I love Diagon Alley and the school and everything about it. Makes me kind of strange, I guess." She sighs and leans back in her chair, sidetracked by the discussion of futures and jobs.

"I think I'd like to. I dunno what I'll do yet, but how can I say no to living around all this magic, right? It... It's so wonderful!" Unfortunately, Medea seems a little oblivious to how awkward Remi feels about the whole 'future' thing. "I've never heard of anyone going back to the non-magical world, but... that doesn't mean it hasn't happened."

Remi Tang
Fifth Year

Post by Remi Tang » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:23 am

"You shouldn't feel weird for liking magic," Remi admonished, flame going a little wild, but too weak to cause damage. "I mean, is that what every kid dreams of? Getting magic powers one day. Flying." That last one she could say with complete sincerity. Flying was the best and it was the one part of magic she took to like a duck to water. Remi was the weird one for not loving magic.

"Being a witch looks good on you, Meds," Remi said with sincerity, and not just because Medea was a patient tutor. But that definitely helped.

Just then her candle flamed up properly (and probably a little too forcefully, but oh well) and the wick stayed lit. Remi jumped to her feet mostly in surprise, but then in giddy excitement. "Oh hey -- hell yeah! I did it! Er, we -- well you kinda made it happen... Eh whatever, it's lit. Hah!"

She swept Medea up into a hug before returning to her whooping cheers. She was so caught up in the triumph it took her a moment to realize that in the excitement of success she caught her robes in the flame. Her wrist was warm and burning when she noticed it with a small, "Ahh!" Remi smacked her wrist hard a few times, wincing with little "ow!"s as she tamped the fire out. By the time she was done, her wrist was a little burnt and blistered, but mostly sore from the swats.

"Okay, that was dumb. Note taken. Don't touchdown dance around open flames. My bad..."

Medea Kelly
Fifth Year

Post by Medea Kelly » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:07 am

"Flying is aces, yeah. I mean, I'll never be a top-tier Quidditch player or anything but I think I make a decent chaser for a backyard game. It's fun!" Medea watches Remi trying her spells again, nodding approvingly. At Remi's words, Medea's cheeks turn a bright pink and she hides her face in her hands. Just a little.

"Oh, come off it. You're just being nice. Besides, you look good too! You just don't realize it yet!" And then Remi manages to light her candle and Medea lets out an excited little whoop, clapping her hands.

"You did it! Oh my God! Well done, Remi! See, you're getting the hang of this, it just takes practice!" Her last word ends in a wheeze as she's hugged tight by the other girl and she enthusiastically returns the gesture, clapping her friend on the back. Medea is genuinely excited, as if Remi has just said she's won the World Cup or passed all her OWLs with flying colors. The Hufflepluff is so openly and nakedly enthusiastic, it might be a little overwhelming. Then Remi is on fire.

"Remi--!" Medea shrieks and rushes to help. Before she can do much, though, Remi has put herself out and Medea just gets to stand there looking frazzled

"Yes, mind your robes when you're going to do a victory dance." She frowns, reaching out to gingerly take Remi's hand so she can examine the burned skin. "You should go to the infirmary, Remi..."

Remi Tang
Fifth Year

Post by Remi Tang » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 am

Remi automatically started waving off Medea's concerns, "Nah nah, give it some air and I'm sure it'll -" and then it occurred to her that going to the infirmary would actually be the best excuse she had to get out of more spellwork practice. After three lifetimes of casting Incendio she wasn't interested in spending another thirty minutes working on Wingardium Leviosa.

(Even if she was actually pretty good at that one. She still struggled to levitate heavy objects and her movement precision wasn't greeeeeat, but hey. The stuff lifted and moved and dropped again. Basically adequate spellmanship.)

"Ooooh," Remi winced only a bit more than necessary as Medea touched her hand and examined the burn. She'd caught a wide swatch, but it wasn't a particularly deep burn. She'd done more damage to her robes than her wrist, but she leaned in anyway. "Ouch! Yeah, actually you might be right. I should definitely get this checked out. Don't want to make it worse or anything!"

She shot Medea a wicked grin, "Want to ditch class and come with? It's as good an excuse as any you'll get."