All I Ever Wanted Was The World (open)

Life within the castle can be found happening here.
Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

All I Ever Wanted Was The World (open)

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

Lyssa didn't like to make plans.

That wasn't to say she didn't make them. She just didn't like to make them. Making them meant she was planning ahead, meant she was anticipating things to go her way precisely and without a hitch. Planning meant she expected people to act rationally and within expected parameters of behavior. Planning didn't account for a variety of things such as nature or nurture or random acts of God.

Lyssa didn't like to make plans.

But she made them.

And somehow, despite all obstacles, they tended to work out.

Until Hogwarts.

For once in her life, she had planned wrong. She anticipated her mother continuing to work for her grandfather, and not deciding to quit everything to become a teacher. She anticipated her father keeping his calm, quiet job from home, instead of moving to a major city for a job more similar to that of her mother's.

She anticipated her cousin Cana to have a single lick of sense in his entire stupid brain for once in his life.

See, unlike other people, her family was beyond her manipulation. Not that Lyssa would ever acknowledge that she manipulated others. Good girls didn't do that, and she was a very good girl.

And why a good girl like her was struggling to make friends here was beyond her.

But nature has a way of warning people about dangerous creatures, even if the creature doesn't think of itself in terms of danger. Lyssa knew that much.

She just wished she knew what strange symmetry she radiated that made her so avoidable and absolutely gouge it from herself before it got any worse.

As she walked slowly back down the halls from her mother's classroom, she considered.

Being herself wasn't working.

Perhaps being someone else would?

Not that she would change her name and deny being the daughter of the new Muggle Studies professor...just that maybe she shouldn't be the perfect princess she was always raised to be anymore?

Surely that had to work.

She rounded the corner of the hallway back towards the Gryffindor dorms, when she felt her foot snag. She flew forward and caught herself with her hands before careening face first into the floor.

Well, the old her certainly wasn't clumsy. That was a new change.

As she dusted herself off and turned around, Lyssa did something she promised herself she was going to stop.

Lyssa planned.

Rowan Fox
Seventh Year

Re: All I Ever Wanted Was The World (open)

Post by Rowan Fox » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am

Rowan felt terrible. Guilt was a weapon in the Foxx family. When she was alive, Rachel used to joke that she had an "x" she lost at her wedding. She also used to guilt trip Rowan into doing things the girl didn't wasnt to do. There was one particular time Rachel had convinced her daughter to leave a birthday party early by giving her the last piece of cake. Rachel didn't even like cake. But the look on her mum's face had Rowan reaching for her Barbie purse.

Guilt was one of the things that hunted her after her mum's death, and the one thing Rowan tried to bury as deep as she could. Sometimes it would come out, though, like it was now. It was sad that moments like these were the moments that she felt closest to the woman who raised her.

This particular feeling of guilt didn't branch from lying or shoplifting or a thousand other things young and rebellious Rowan had felt guilty for over the years. No, this was a more personal matter.

There was a new Gryffindor girl. Not a First Year, like the lot of them, but a Seventh Year like her. They even shared a dorm, for pity sake! Rowan had meant to introduce herself, to act as some kind of friend or guide to the girl. But her brain had been full of her uncle's altamatum, and then she kept being side tracked. And the new letter from him came...

The point was, it was well into the school year and she wasn't sure if New Girl even knew her name. Granted, the had been calling the Delaney kid "New Girl" in her head, instead of learning which of the multitudes of names actually belong to her. But that would change--starting now. Or starting when she found Delaney, that was.

Turning the corner, Rowan caught sight of someone just hitting the ground. "Oh, bugger," the woman cursed racing forward. "Yew alright, love?" When she reached the girl, Rowan grinned and sank down to the floor next to her. "Well, that's luck, ain't it?" Her voice still carried some of the Irish lilt that always came back with her after stents at being home. "Not yew fallin', but yew bein' who Ah was lookin' for."

Laying back on the corador floor, Rowan crossed her arms under her head. "Yew should relax for abit b'fore standing. Case you hurt something."

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 am

Lyssa looked up a bit startled to be seen so soon after tripping. That would be just her luck though, wouldn't it be? Well, if she was trying to dispel her old image, this was certainly the way to do it. When she looked up she saw one of her dorm mates, a pretty girl she hadn't really interacted with at all, asides from thinking about how her twin sister would like her. She seemed concerned about her though, which was nice. Would have been nicer a few weeks ago when she first transferred, but she supposed she couldn't be so choosy now. So far the only person who'd really interacted with her outside her family was Trinity, and that poor boy seemed too besotted to be of particular use. Not that she didn't enjoy that in small doses, but it wasn't really the basis of a friendship really.

Lyssa heard her say she'd been looking for her and a chill ran up her spine.

"Is everything okay?" Lyssa asked concerned. If she was looking for her, perhaps something was wrong. Oh gods, were Morrigan and Roman okay? She fluttered her hands and stood quickly. "Are my brothers and sisters okay?" she demanded perhaps a bit dramatically.

But the girl looked okay, and not terribly in a rush, so she couldn't really have been coming after her on her siblings' behalf. And surely if anything happened to them, Mom would be the first one contacted. She felt herself calm down a bit.

"Sorry, just...why were you looking for me? Is there something wrong? Does my mom need me?"

Rowan Fox
Seventh Year

Post by Rowan Fox » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 pm

"Ach, no," Rowan sat up quickly, crossing her legs. Her gold-red hair falling in her eyes. "Sorry--eve'one's dandy, far as Ah was told." She hadn't been expecting the girl's panic, but then Rowan figured she didn't know the girl well enough to even pretend to judge her reactions. "Ah was just lookin' to... talk, yeah? The last few weeks have been... Ah was distracted."

She debated telling the girl about the letters her uncle had been sending, the altamatums. She deserved explanations for why Rowan had been so scattered. But it wasn't the kind of thing that you just dumped on the girl who you only exchanged words with five minutes ago.

"Ah'm Rowan, by the way," she offered the Delaney her hand. "Ah know it's a bit late, but Ah could show you around. If you wanted."

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:43 am

Lyssa could feel her face burning in embarrassment. Of course, nothing was wrong. She was being paranoid. Ever since what happened with Cana though, she was on high alert for something to go wrong. As much as Cana was expected to be responsible and lead grandfather's company with her and Bjørn (who was also a hot mess in his own right), she knew he still needed her guidance. Her mentorship. He needed her to make sure he didn't screw up beyond all repair again, too, apparently. Well, he hadn't shown that he needed that yet. But he did.

But the girl seemed sincere. Lyssa had seen her looking distracted and distant around the dorms, so she had let her have her own space. But now she seemed to be making an effort, which was...nice. Unexpected, but nice.

"Ah, sorry for freaking out," she apologized. "Just...I'm very protective. I'm the second oldest of the family's kids. And probably the most responsible," she muttered. "Back home, I was always the first person people came too to tell when they got into trouble. Just...a reflex I suppose."

'it's nice to finally meet you officially, Rowan," she continued. "I'm Lyssa. And I'd love for you to show me around, if you don't mind. I'm still having some troubles with my classes. And I haven't been able to really track down the kitchens yet. My sister in Hufflepuff keeps telling me she'll so me, but...she hasn't had time I guess," she sighed. Her siblings, for once, had seemed to make friends more easily than her. She should have been happy for them.

Should have.

Wasn't necessarily, but should have.

Rowan Fox
Seventh Year

Post by Rowan Fox » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 pm

"Ah understand," Rowan said, even though she didn't really. "Ah should've been more sensitive. Sorry." Rowan pushed herself up to her feet and held her hand out for Lyssa. "Let's go off, then."

When Lyssa was to her feet, Rowan casually laced their fingers together. "Is Lyssa a nickname for something?" Rowan asked as they made their way down the hall. "Alyssa? Elizabeth? Alice? Yew look like an Alice. Which means yew probably aren't." She grinned over at Lyssa. "Ah've found that most people don't really look like their names, yew know?"

As they walked, Rowan pulled a square of cloth from her pocket with her free hand. "Yew afraid of heights? Ah know a quick way t'da kitchen, but it's a bit..." She girl paused, trying to think of a word that would fit before she settled on: "fun." They had reached a flight of stairs and Rowan began shaking out the fabric. It became larger and thinner until it was about the size of a small table cloth. She fanned it over the banister before grinning at Lyssa. "Unless yew aren't up for it."

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Lyssa shrugged it off, but still felt very embarrassed about the whole thing. She was quickly distracted by the issue of names.

Lyssa....wasn't particularly fond of her name. Her mother and father had put a lot of thought into all of the names of their children (save perhaps RJ, who was named for their father), so she hated to be resentful over it. It just...didn't fit her. It wouldn't do to be dishonest about it though, not with her mother right there in the castle to uncover her deception.

"Ah, no," she grinned, sheepishly. "It's just Lyssa. It's....Greek. My family isn't Greek. She was...uh, a Greek goddess of something. My middle name is Persephone. They sort of went for a theme."

Lyssa was the Greek goddess of madness. Insanity, Bloodlust. Rabidity. And Persephone was the queen of the underworld.

Well, at least they didn't name her after a famous murder victim like Dahlia was. She supposed she should be very grateful for that, at least. Gods, why were her parents the way they were?

Lyssa watched as Rowan pulled out the cloth and set things up, but she didn't understand quite where she was going with all of it.

"Um, sure?" she said, knowing she would grow to regret this. This had Bjørn level scheme all over it.

Rowan Fox
Seventh Year

Post by Rowan Fox » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 am

With a grin, Rowan straddled the banister and patted the spot between her legs in front of her. She had learned the hard way that the steering was best from the back. But the worst injory from that had been a broken arm and it had been fixed well enough. "C'mon, Persephone," Rowan said, grinning at the name. A goddess of spring. She supposed it fit the girl well. "Live a little before you die."

That was Rowan's family motto. Or, at least it was her motto. Her folks always said "if you're going to die, make it count" which they had. Uncle Everly's motto was "let's stay in the dark ages instead of evolving and growing with the times" or something close to that. Rowan liked her motto best.

Right now, Rowan needed the adrenalin. She needed something to keep her mind off her Uncle's letters. Shed needed something wild and fun. She needed a distraction. Persephone would be a great one.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 am

Lyssa stilled for a bit. Persephone. Huh. She'd never really considered it, but she enjoyed that name much more than her first name really. At least, Persephone had a good side to her. And she had a reliable husband. That was always good. She smiled a bit.

She watched with a curiously sinking feeling as Rowan mounted the banister. But well, she did need more friends. Ad it wasn't like she hadn't succumbed to peer pressure before?

Swinging one long leg over the banister behind Rowan, she gripped the other girl's waist tightly. She felt like she was back on a broom with her mother or on a motorcycle with her father. Suddenly, a thought came to her.

"Erm, don't these stairs...move though? What happens if they move while we're on them?"

Lyssa didn't hear the answer though, as she swiftly felt herself plummeting down the banister. Stifling a scream, she buried her face in Rowan's shoulder as they went along at rapid speeds.

Rowan Fox
Seventh Year

Post by Rowan Fox » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:16 am

Making sure Persephone's arms were tight around her, Rowan leaned back to answer the girls question. She had could early in her escapades that iff you willed really hard, the stairs usually listened. Unless they were having a bad day. They you would limit to your death. Or at least a broken bone.

Before Rowan could tell Persephone all this, though, their weight shifted and--off they were! It was great with the little bit of extra weight. More power, more speed, but it made navigating a bit tricky.

With Persephone's face buried in Rowan's shoulder, the redhead wasn't sure if the girrl was enjoying herself or not. But at least she wasn't screaming about the gaping hole before them. Squeezing her knees together, Rowan slowed their momentum slightly and watched as the banister connected with another just in time.

She girl let out a whoopping cry as they picked up speed again. "Open yewr eyes," she laughed, "live a little."