All Folks Are Damaged Goods (closed)

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Re: All Folks Are Damaged Goods [open]

Post by Cana Havich » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:20 am

“I was thinking about how to move the wand and what to say,” Angela told him. Cana nodded.

"That's all well and good. It will definitely help. But if that's the sole focus of your casting, then it will not be successful. Sorry to say."

He watched with sadness as the little girl tried it and failed at the last moment. It was perfectly normal to not get it right on the first few tries, but it seemed like all of Angela's confidence hinged on this one, practically useless, foundational spell. He was reminded somewhat of his cousin RJ, who was now a second year Ravenclaw. He let things cut him deeply, especially personal failures.

"If you weren't magical enough, you wouldn't have been invited here," Cana comforted. "And...well, it could be much worse."

He debated internally for a moment. He could tell her of how little control he'd had over his initial magic. That might help him relate to her. But it also might send her running away screaming about the crazy, evil Slytherin. Still, she seemed very timid and unlikely to go off telling secrets she shouldn't.

"Erm...you have to promise not to tell anyone this. But there are much worse things than being not as magical. Which you are completely magical, don't take that the wrong way but. It could be worse. Erm...when I was a bit younger than you, I had my first real bit of accidental magic. Fire. It, um...it killed an animal. I felt horrible about it for a long time afterward. Still do. But sometimes it's better to have to coax your magic out a little more than having it all out there at once, is all I mean."

He could feel his skin flush with embarrassment at admitting what happened when he was a child. Even though he didn't share all the gruesome details with Angela, it was still enough to feel...well a lot.

"Here," he said, focusing on the wand in her hand. "Let's practice the motions and the words, until you don't even think about doing them."

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:08 am

Angela wiped away her tears as she watched Cana hesitantly start telling her to not tell anyone what he was about to tell her. She nodded her acceptance in keeping his secret, whatever the secret was. She wasn’t sure just when it had happened, but she was now fully trusting this boy who had tried so hard to help her through her struggles.

She listened fervently to his words. He explained his magic had outlashed accidentally when he was younger and how it had killed an animal. His face was tinged with embarrassment, almost like how Angela’s was just a few minutes before. The story made her embarrassment fade away and she felt so many emotions all at once. Astonishment, that someone who had so perfectly been able to cast a spell had a troubled past where he was not so controlled over his magic. Amazement that he now was able to control his power, enough to cast such a simple spell. And determination to be like him. Angela had never found a role model before, her older brother being so distant that she failed to find a leading figure in him. But right now, she wished she would be able to cast in the controlled manner that Cana could as well as follow how resilient he seemed, despite his troubles.

She knew how hard it must have been for him to confide in her like that. And all to make sure she felt better about herself. She didn’t know exactly how to express just how thankful she was with words so she reached out with her small hand and placed it on one of Cana’s crisscrossed knees. She was barely touching him, just in case he didn’t like to be touched, and then carefully left it there for a few moments before taking her hand back. She wasn’t sure her gratefulness was fully felt, but she was sure he would at least understand partially how thankful she was that he took her under wing and was able to confide in her.

"Here," he said, focusing on the wand in her hand. "Let's practice the motions and the words, until you don't even think about doing them."

Angela nodded, unable to form any words just yet, her throat clenching in anxiety at even the thought of trying the spell again. Her hand shook slightly as she lifted the wand to practice the words and the wand movement. She wanted to succeed at the spell so Cana would know she was trying so hard. First, she tried to mimic her wand movement as the book said, without any words. At first, her hand shook constantly, but as she kept going, her hand started to steady and then she added the incantation as well. Her words were soft at first, and she kept looking back at Cana to make sure she was doing to right. She didn’t concentrate her magic just yet at the match stick. ‘Slow and steady,’ she thought to herself. That was how she was going to succeed.

She looked once more at Cana, who was focusing on her wand movement. “I think I want to try again,” she said, her voice finally confident in her words, without any hint of shaking or whispering. She knew she might not succeed at first, but she wanted to at least try. Cana’s story about his magic helped her understand that nobody was perfect at first, but she with practice over her control, she would be able to at least come close to Cana’s level.

She steadily held her wand over the matchstick, the tiniest sliver of silver tinge already on it. She voiced the incantation and she tried to coax her magic through to her hand, and then to her wand. Perhaps she did not have the bold, prominent magic like other did, but she had her timid, demure type of magic, just like Cana had said, and his words gave her a confidence she hadn’t had before. Almost automatically, her hand waved the wand motions and her hand felt warmth. She hadn’t felt the magical warmth when she had been trying to cast before. Unbelievably, before her eyes, the match turned silver. It was not as shining as Cana’s had been, but the glinting color of grey.

“I…” her words faltered in her astonishment. “I did it!” she shouted. Her voice was elated and her eyes teemed with her amazement as she looked at Cana. Her heart soared, and she wished for him to be proud of her.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:54 am

Cana gently put his hand on top of Angela's. It was much smaller than either of his sister's hands, but the sentiment was still the same. Even though he had never hung out with his younger sisters as much as he had hung out with Bjørn and Kristian and Gabe, they still meant the world to him. And now she was showing a lot of bravery and sympathy: more than he'd likely get from anyone else here at Hogwarts. Admittedly, he hadn't told the full story. She had no idea of the details, and never would if he could control it. But still, he hadn't lied about anything. Kristian and his mom would be proud of his honesty.

He grinned widely as she made her proclamation to try again. Cana watched with silently rapt attention as she carefully went through the motions again....and it was silver!

He let out a small whoop and without thinking went forward and scooped her into a quick hug. Eyes widening, he quickly let her go and fell back on his backside in trying to right himself. Hugging his sisters was one thing, but he had only met this kid!

"Erm, sorry about that," he muttered. "But you did it! I'm proud of you, Angela!"

And Kristian and his mother would be proud of him, he thought. He was coming a long way with dealing with people. Admittedly, it was with younger kids--girls generally (which was...a bit weird admittedly)--but he was definitely doing better than he had been just this summer.

"Do you want to try more or do you want to take a break? I have some food in my bag, I think."

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:38 am

Cana was just as happy at her success as Angela was. Nobody had ever been this proud or happy at what Angela did before. She had never been this encouraged before and the feeling of being cared for was unfamiliar but extremely welcome. Although the hug from Cana was unexpected, Angela was quick to hug back. She was sure that if the boy hadn’t hugged her first, she would have done the same! For her feelings of excitement and happiness was to be unforgotten.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She reiterated her thanks over and over again as she was put back down. Cana’s tall height caused her to feel a whoosh of blood to her head as she caught up with the short height of her own gravity again.

Cana apologized and added his pride in her silver matchstick. Angela felt at least two feet taller at his praise. Her matchstick was a humble light grey color, and it was definitely nothing compared to the stark silver matchstick of Cana’s, but the way he was praising her, it felt like she had made a match of pure silver, the price of a galleon.

Angela caught her breath after the hurried excitement and celebratory feelings calmed. "Do you want to try more or do you want to take a break? I have some food in my bag, I think,” asked Cana. She hadn’t felt anything before as she was casting the spell but now that he mentioned it, she suddenly felt a little tired and hungry.

“I think I’m a little hungry,” Angela said and to her embarrassment, her stomach rumbled as if to emphasize her previous statement. She felt bashful to eat whatever Cana had brought, but she felt much closer to him, enough so that she didn’t feel like he was a stranger any longer.

Angela went and got her small blanket which she had sat upon before to read her books. Her books, still lay in disarray next to her, so she started to pile them up on the grass next to her as if to say she no longer relied on them as she had before. She had borrowed countless beginner books and magical help books to help her through her first classes in magic, but just a few minutes shy of an hour or so with Cana helped her more than any theory in her books. She felt like she could maybe try without them later when she had recovered her strength.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:10 am

Cana couldn't help but grin at her little chant of thanks. He felt truly happy for the first time in quite awhile. Since...well, since before everything happened with Gabe. He felt his smile falter for a moment. After a moment, he plastered a slightly more fake smile on his face. He hoped Angela didn't notice. It wouldn't do to burden a kid this young with his past mistakes.

As Angela laid out her blanket, Cana dug into his bag. His mom had sent yet another batch of homemade food to him. She must have been convinced that the Hogwarts elves were paid to starve him personally, but Cana wasn't about to complain over it. He'd brought several containers to eat post work out, but it certainly wouldn't hurt him to share. He may have needed some extra calories, but they were all starting to show a bit in his gut.

Cana took out a few boxes and named them as he sat them down.

"Chicken tikka masala, lamb biryani, malai kofta, saag paneer, basmati rice, naan, and some mysore pak. Please eat as much of that as you can. My mother is convinced I need to gain weight apparently, cause it's almost entirely ghee," he mumbled. "Which is what makes it so good," he then admitted. "My mother thinks I need all of this to survive the week," he grinned. "She's...not entirely wrong. Can't really get the best Indian food at Hogwarts, unfortunately. Though to be fair, I haven't asked the House Elves to try."

He set all the containers on the blanket, and pulled out a form and knife.

"Here, you can use this. I usually eat it the old fashioned way," he explained. "Though with the way you're going, maybe you'll be able to magic up your own from sticks soon!"

He took a piece of naan and dumped it in the tikka masala sauce before taking a big bite.

Gods, he missed home.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:05 am

“Are you okay?” The words spilled from Angela’s mouth without hesitation. She blushed. Those three words may be some of the most ambiguous words there can be. Okay meant not bad, but also not good. But she couldn’t help herself asking because of Cana’s expression. He seemed happy but also very sad at the same time. She wasn’t sure if her presence could help much, but considering the help she had received from him, she hoped she could alleviate some of his pain.

She watched in amazement as Cana brought out container after container. When he had said he might have some food in his bag, she had thought there would be a few biscuits or some small treats. What he was currently setting on her picnic blanket was a feast. Angela carefully listened to each of the container’s names, trying to remember them all. She could confidently say that she could remember none. All of them were quite new to her. Her family had never ventured further than northern Europe and the house elves at home never strayed from traditional English meals.

Chicken, lamb, rice were at least a few words she could catch from his explanation. Cana explained that his mother thought he needed more nourishment. He seemed tall enough to tower over Angela, and he seemed strong enough to carry large tree branches, but perhaps he wasn’t heavy enough in big person standards. And what was Gee? She wasn’t sure if she heard the word wrong, but was too shy to ask again.

Can't really get the best Indian food at Hogwarts, unfortunately. Though to be fair, I haven't asked the House Elves to try." Angela nodded her agreement. She had never had Indian food before and she was sure the few Hogwarts meals she had had here, wasn’t composed of any particularly new food. She hadn’t known Hogwarts house elves were the cooks of her meals, although to be honest, she should have known since all her food at home had been cooked by house elves under the guidance of a human chef.

Angela readily accepted the fork and knife Cana gave her. "Here, you can use this. I usually eat it the old fashioned way. Though with the way you're going, maybe you'll be able to magic up your own from sticks soon!" Forks and knives from sticks! She wondered if she would really be able to do such complex magic soon.

Angela was hesitant at trying out the new food, but looking at Cana who was eating with eagerness, and smelling the sharp tang of spices, she hesitantly took a forkful of the lamb and took a bite. The taste was immensely strong and she loved the way the lamb tasted, even through the flavorful sauce covering the meat. She immediately took another bite. She had been hungry and the food was more amazing than she had imagined.

“This is so good!” She exclaimed in between her second and third bite. “I’ve never tried Indian food before.”

Angela abandoned her fork and knife, and following Cana’s lead, she took a small piece of the bread he had eaten first and dipped it into the same sauce. She hummed in satisfaction. Although equally full of flavor as the lamb had been, this sauce had a bit of a different edge to it and was equally delicious.

Angela swallowed before asking, “Are you from India?” She hadn’t thought of asking before, but now that she thought about it, the name Havich wasn’t very familiar to her and may not have been an English name at all.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:58 pm

“Are you okay?”

Cana glanced up at her with eyes slightly widened. Of course, she'd notice his change in expression. Sighing, he ran a hand through his long hair and considered carefully how to word this. He couldn't exactly say that he'd almost killed the person he loved most in the world by being an idiot, not to a child at least. Especially when only the consequences would have been an accident, not the actions themselves. Finally, he settled upon what to say.

"I just...miss someone. My boyfriend. A lot. Something you said reminded me of him. He got transferred to Durmstrang, and I...well, I decided to come here with my aunt to avoid everything. Not necessarily my best idea, but hey," he smiled softly, "at least I am here to help, so it's sort of worth it."

He did like helping kids. It was a strange thing for him honestly. Back home he was well-known for being gruff, brash, and generally dangerous. But even there, the little students knew to come to him for help with spells or potions or bullying troubles. Gabe and Kristian thought it was adorable. Bjørn had thought it was stupid. But Cana enjoyed it. He'd make a terrible teacher, he knew; he couldn't stand older kids and their drama. Plus, there we so many expectations placed on him to continue his father's legacy. It was all too much really. It was a miracle he was as well adjusted as he was.

His smile came back watching Angela enjoy the food.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoy it," he stated. Lots of people he knew couldn't stand it, which he just couldn't understand.

"Not from India. My mom's parents were though. They moved to America and had my mom. She's Indian-American. And then Mom met my Dad, who is Norwegian, and they moved back there. So technically, I'm from Norway. And I am Norwegian. But I'm Indian and American too," he explained. He knew it was a bit complicated, but he knew a lot of people with more complex backstories then that. "And then," he continued, "I used to go to Gammla Uppsala School of Sei∂r in Sweden, but once my aunt became a teacher here, I transferred with her and my cousins. Say, you're a Ravenclaw, right? Have you met Roman or Vesper Delaney? They're my cousins. I...I don't see them often since we aren't in the same year or House, and I like to keep an eye on them. Vesper is a fifth year and Roman is in second."

Vesper had always been a shadow to him and Bjørn. He was very concerned with how he was doing on his own. And he knew that Roman wasn't handling things well with the move: probably even worse than Cana himself was. And even though his young cousin could be very unpleasant at the best of times, he was still family. Family seemed to be all he had left honestly.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:03 am

Angela listened carefully to Cana’s explanation. She felt like his words held much more emotion behind them than he was actually presenting, but she knew that the acceptance of his fate was difficult to endure. She hoped that although she couldn’t really give a good solution to his problems, she could at least listen to his problems. She had never really had other people to talk with and she wasn’t sure if her conversing skills were up to par.

"Not from India. My mom's parents were though. They moved to America and had my mom. She's Indian-American. And then Mom met my Dad, who is Norwegian, and they moved back there. So technically, I'm from Norway. And I am Norwegian. But I'm Indian and American too." ‘Wow,’ Angela thought. He had a very worldly background compared to her.

“I’m only from England, but I think I had family in France?” The name Deville was French-derived, she was sure. Although she was sure she had a large book about her ancestry back home, it was one of the only books she was disinterested in. She didn’t care about who had been in their family and where they were from. She had been more interested in the textbooks of old and the myths of centuries back.

Cana continued to explain about his family and his cousins who transferred to Hogwarts. Angela had never heard of any transfer students although, “I think I’ve heard of Professor Delaney? The new Muggle Studies teacher?” Although Angela was only in her first year so she still had a couple years to go before choosing any electives, but she had often seen the professor during meals, at the high table. She hadn’t taken much interest in Muggle Studies as a class itself, mostly because she herself knew almost nothing about muggles. She had been considering Arithmancy, but now that Cana mentioned his aunt and cousins, she was more interested in seeing if they were similar to him.

“I’ve never heard of a Roman or Vesper Delaney,” she answered, and her face was tinged because to be honest, she didn’t even remember most of her own year, let alone Ravenclaws in fifth or second year. She silently vowed to herself to look out for a Roman or a Vesper in her house. If they were similar to Cana, then perhaps she would be able to spot them a bit sooner.

Angela felt she should share a bit of herself as well. She wasn’t as close to her own family as Cana seemed to be to his, but she did have an older brother in Durmstrang, just like Cana’s boyfriend was there as well. “I have a brother, his name is James, who goes to Durmstrang. I don’t think they can write often. James never wrote back home unless my mother sent the family owl to him. You must miss your boyfriend a lot.” James not writing often was probably not an issue of Durmstrang, but more of an issue of James, but Angela hoped that maybe that would help Cana with the distance. Angela had actually never even considered writing to her brother, far north at school, so she was unsure whether post would be delivered
there or not.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:47 am

"France is beautiful," Cana said, fishing a bit to keep the conversation going. He really shouldn't have let himself get down. He didn't want to keep burdening young ladies with his problems. Hell, back home he didn't even try to burden his sisters: he had Kristian or Bjørn. His cousin Bjørn gave him a sense of blunt honesty that he often needed. And his half brother was always a comfort. Here he had his other cousins. He supposed he could talk to Dahlia or Lyssa or Vesper. But he was never as close to them in that way, and it would seem awkward now. He was sure they would all welcome it; he just didn't know how to approach them. He was sure they all looked at him differently after what he had done to Gabe. He certainly looked at himself differently.

"I've been to Paris a few times, with my maternal grandparents and mother. My grandfather is a jeweler, and he outfits a bunch of stars and models for the big shows. He likes to follow the expensive pieces personally so they don't get mysteriously lost," he rolled his eyes. "Some people can be very bold, after all. My mother used to be his primary model. She probably still could be, if I'm honest, but there is a lot sexism when a woman gets older even if she doesn't look it." He could feel himself rambling and blushed darkly.

"Yeah," he said, quickly changing the subject. "Aunt Jetta teaches Muggle Studies. She's married to a Muggle as well. Uncle Roman is a great guy. And it's okay if you haven't met Roman Jr. or Vesper yet. Neither of them are...people persons, I suppose would be the phrase. But since you're around Roman's age, I figured I should ask. You'll run into them soon enough I'm sure. They're both...well, white, but they're both very tall like me, so they should be easy to spot."

Cana felt a small swell of hope when she mentioned her brother at Durmstrang. If he was half as nice and friendly as Angela, then maybe Gabe could make a good friend. Not that Gabe was the friendly type, particularly, but it would be good for him to not be so alone.

"I--I'm pretty sure I'm actually banned from contacting Gabe all together," Cana confessed. "There was...a mistake made last year. Involving magic. We got involved with something we shouldn't I think us transferring was all that kept us from being expelled," he mumbled. "Probably not the nicest thing to learn about someone," he shrugged. "But yeah. I miss Gabe a lot. And I miss my parents, and my sisters, and my half-brother." It was freeing to say half-brother here. There wasn't as much knowledge of who he was and who Kristian was.

"But enough about that. You're doing such a good job; I shouldn't bring the mood down. What do you think about Hogwarts so far? You're just as new as me. You tell me, and I'll tell you, and maybe I'll tell you about Gammla Uppsala as well."

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 am

Angela was thankful that Cana carried on the conversation for her. She had never spoken so much to anyone before and she was constantly worrying over whether she should talk more or less. And as he explained how Roman Jr. and Vesper were also not people persons, she paused to think if anyone in Ravenclaw was a people person. All she had seen in her house was mostly people peering into their books and even during meals, they all usually had a book or two nearby.

You'll run into them soon enough I'm sure. They're both...well, white, but they're both very tall like me, so they should be easy to spot." Of course they would be tall! She should have expected so, considering height usually ran in the family and Cana’s tall stature couldn’t possibly be recessive enough to be hidden. She would definitely be peeking out of her books more often to look out for his family members.

And as Cana explained his separation from Gabe, Angela listened intently. Inwardly, she was astonished that someone with such control over his magic before, when he was teaching her, had such an accident with magic. To have been considered being expelled, but instead transferred, the accident must have been pretty severe. Even though her mind was cautious about Cana and his previous mentioning of his accidental magic, Angela was already too taken with her new teacher that she was entirely understanding of his situation and took no precautions, no matter how dangerous he may be. And she was so certain that someone who had just given her such great attention and care, wouldn’t be very dangerous at all.

“I’m sure he misses you as well. I hope he can find a way to write to you,” Angela said as she tried to comfort him. She was glad he had many family members around him, whom he missed, meaning they were good to him. Did Angela miss her family? Maybe her younger brother, but not much her parents or her older sibling. She actually felt freer than ever at Hogwarts.

"But enough about that. You're doing such a good job; I shouldn't bring the mood down. What do you think about Hogwarts so far? You're just as new as me. You tell me, and I'll tell you, and maybe I'll tell you about Gammla Uppsala as well."

Angela took a deep breath before talking again. Who knew conversations could be so nervous but so much fun? And she felt she was doing well in her part.

“I like Hogwarts,” she said honestly. “I like how there’s magic everywhere and everyone likes to learn about it. Even when they aren’t in Ravenclaw.” All the first years had been attentive in class where they first learned magic, whether they were studious or not. Nobody could say it wasn’t exciting, learning so much new knowledge. Angela was a student at heart. “And I met a few nice people in my house.” Which really wasn’t honest at all since she barely spoke a word to anyone else. Her eyes shifted at the semi-lie. She wasn’t about to confess that Cana was really her first conversational friend since she arrived here.

“I think I’ve heard of Gammla…Gammla Upsala? Before, but only in passing. Is it very far away from here?” she asked, mispronouncing the name of Cana’s previous school. She knew a scattering of magical schools. Durmstrang, Beauxbatons were well known considering their connections with Hogwarts and she had heard that there were magical schools overseas, further towards Northern America and in Asia.