A Moment to Breathe

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

A Moment to Breathe

Post by Eric Brandski » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Eric was exhausted. The day hadn't been physically draining, but mentally he was moments away from crashing. For some reason, he didn't remember the classes being this intense last year. He was probably just out of the swing of things, but he had nodded off in two of his classes. That wouldn't do.

Thanks to his mum's double-career with the Ministry of Magic and the Muggle Parliament, he had many eyes on him. It didn't bother him much, but he knew how much any of his actions would reflect of his mother and her work was stressful enough without him adding anything into it.

With a long sigh though his nose, Eric closed his eyes. He was sitting on the stone steps in front of the school, leaned back on his elbows with his long legs stretched before him. It was hitting late enough that he should go in soon, but for now he just wanted to breath the fresh air and try his best to relax.

Eric knew the moment he went back to his dorm, there would be no quiet until everyone had gone to sleep. "And a thousand miles before we sleep," he muttered to himself under his breath. He still had homework to finish and classes to study for.

Maybe... He could do... it in the morn... The boy was asleep before he could even finish the thought.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Re: A Moment to Breathe

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:49 am

Morrigan was a wanderer. Always has been, much to her mother's consternation when she was small. Somehow what seemed somewhat Byronic and romantic as a teenage was less endearing when done by a small child. And she had to admit wandering sprawling grounds at age 13 was a bit more in line with her vision than getting hopelessly lost at age four in the aisles of Narvesen while her mother was grocery shopping with her and her four siblings. Bless. She envisioned herself as a heroine as the wind whipped through her long, black hair. The sun shone brightly down, entirely ruining the effect, yet she couldn't find the good weather dampening her mood much.

She had just gotten word from her dad. Well, she supposed, she and all of her siblings had gotten words from their dad. He had just sent letter from Edinburgh about the state of the new factory going up. It was strange to her that her father had ceased working for her maternal grandfather, but she supposed he was following his more traditional, non-magical dreams. It was even more unusual to see her mother out of a suit and in more traditional witch's robe. And teaching! She had heard several of her mother's lectures over time, but the idea of her business-oriented mother quitting to become a teacher didn't entirely settle well with her. Something was going on back home. Something more than what went on with Cana and his boyfriend.

No, it didn't settle well at all.

But word from her dad had brightened things. He'd even sent her a little pair of thistle earrings he'd gotten when he went to the castle there. She was wearing them now, imagining them glinting off the sun. She grinned. It was unfair to say she favored her dad--she loved her mom after all--but she missed him fiercely, and this had really brightened the Mood she'd been in recently.

As she approached the front of the school however, she felt her mood morph into one of curiosity. There was an older boy, perhaps Cana's age (though certainly not his size) on the front steps of the school. A horrid feeling went through her at first. Was he all right? Did someone pass out? Did someone die? Her morbidity was interrupted by hearing and seeing his slow intakes of breath.

Feeling overwhelmingly morbid for her thoughts, she sighed. Her family was rubbing off on her. Oh well. Poor guy was probably going to wake up in knots if he remained asleep on the stairs. Ungracefully sticking her foot at, she poked at his leg with her boot.

"Um, hallo?" she queried. "I believe you're in danger of being trampled next Care of Magical Creatures class comes down. Or Herbology. those students can be deceptively vicious. Especially the first years," she nodded solemnly.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 am

Eric jerked awake suddenly at the sound of a voice, and regretted it instantly. His neck must have fallen to a bad angle when he was... uh, that was, when he wasn't asleep. His entire body was now uncomfortable. Was it worth it for the few moments of... resting his eyes? He thought maybe. At least it would keep him up for the rest of the day.

Sitting up stiffly, Eric looked up into the pretty face of a girl that might have been his age or a few years younger. It was hard to tell with the way the sun shiloetted her. He watched the wind play with her ink colored hair for a few moments, his brain still a little foggy. She had said something... something about Herbology and trampling... Was she looking for sentient plants?

"I can't remember which greenhouse the Screechsnaps are in," Eric said apologetically. He rubbed the back of his head with his hand, mussing up his sandybrown locks. He blinked the sleep from his eyes, "Number Four, I think?" He wasn't much help, unfortunately. And from the look on her face, he wasn't even close to answering her question. "I'm sorry--what?" Perhaps his brain would work better the second time around.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Morrigan grinned a bit as he woke up, obviously confused. Her brother Vesper talked like that often when he'd just woken up. Once he'd woken up in the middle of a camping trip, pointed to the woods, and said "they're coming." While that itself hadn't been hilarious, the amount it freaked out all of her cousins had been incredible.

"Sorry," she replied. "I think you misunderstood. I said that if you don't wake soon, you'll get trampled by a class coming down. First year Herbology students are vicious after all." She was only partially joking. Third years came in after first years one day to find the place wrecked and poor Professor Longbottom looking exhausted. Eleven year olds new to a subject were a dangerous thing.

Morrigan loved Herbology, though, and had even stayed afterward to help clean the classroom. Ever since she was a child, she loved going into the family's woods or her aunt and uncle's farm to gather plants. It fit her semi-pastoral vision of a mysterious witch of the wilds.

Tilting her head at the boy, she tried her best to be clear and polite as he was obviously still waking up.

"Hi, by the way. I don't think we've met. Morrigan Havich Delaney. Pleasure to meet you!" she gave a tiny wave. "I'm a third year Hufflepuff," she clarified. Lots of people had seen her 5'9" frame and assumed she was a seventh year. It had lead to quite a bit of awkwardness she preferred to avoid.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:14 am

"I believe you about the first years," Eric said as he stood. His long legs making him almost the height of the younger girl, but not quite. He was tall enough to meet her eye-for-eye, however. The girl really was pretty. A "stunner," his Da would say. Though, he tended to go for the more unusual looks. Most people though Eric's... oddities came from his father, but his Mum was the one to marry the man, so who really knew for sure?

The Gryffindor boy quickly rebuttoned his uniform shirt, hiding the eye-searing green-and-yellow checkered T he was wearing underneath. He held out his hand, "Eric Brandski. Fifth Year Gryffindor. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Delaney." Delaney. Now, why did that ring a bell? It wasn't that unusual of a name, his Mum had even thrown it out once or twice over dinner, but that wasn't quite it... "Are you related to the Professor, by chance?"

Two Delaneys popping up couldn't be that much of a coincidence, could it? Come to think of it, she did look a bit like the new professor. Being the Half-Blood son of a Muggleborn witch, Eric didn't really need to take Muggle Studies, but it was an enjoyable experience and an easy grade. And he actually liked to see what the teachers brought to the table. It was always... intresting. He was looking forward to the next year, at least.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 am

Morrigan watched as he stood up and buttoned his shirt over a truly atrocious t-shirt. She'd always dressed herself like what her father called "a hipster", though, so she supposed she shouldn't be one to talk. Perhaps he was cultivating a purposeful look. Couldn't fault someone for that, she supposed.

She shook his hand delicately and politely at the proffering. She hid a slight blush at him referring to her by "miss." Usually people who did that were older and trying to butter up to her parents, but he certainly wasn't that. He was rather cute, actually....

And there it was.

"Yes," Morrigan replied, blushing slightly. "Professor Delaney is my mother. And you might have met my sister Lyssa. She's a seventh year Gryffindor. Or my other sister, who's a seventh year Slytherin. Or my brothers," she continued with a bit of an eyeroll, "who are fifth and second year Ravenclaws respectively. Or my cousin Cana Havich, who's a sixth year Slytherin. There's....a lot of us. And there are eight others that aren't at the school. We're a persisting lot."

"This is my mother's first year teaching full-time," she explained. "We're all half-bloods, including my cousins. All three Havich siblings marrying non-magical people made quite the stir. So my mother isn't as much of an expert as a muggleborn per say, but she has a lot of knowledge. If you take the class, I think you'll like it. She liked to focus on technology and culture a lot more than boring Statute of Secrecy stuff."

Morrigan could feel herself blathering on. "She used to work with grandfather though. In Havich Industries. It's really hard to meld magic and non-magical technology and medicine together, but we all really feel it's worth it," she quote verbatim, towing the company line even now.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Eric let out a low whistle as he listened to Morrgian list off her siblings. It had always been a tad lonely, growing up an only child with both of his parents having demanding jobs. He had always wanted a sibling, but being one of five? No thanks.

The Gryffindor sister or the Fifth Year brother were the Delaneys Eric would have been most likely to come across, but he couldn't really remember if he'd seen them or not. There were so many faces in a school like this, that they were easy to blend together or not be noticeable at all. Besides, unless he was forced to by teachers or circumstance, Eric didn't really seek out friends. He had learned that lesson a long time ago.

The boy smiled as she babbled on and the wind played with her hair. Really, Eric liked listening to people talk. And Morrgian Delaney was so cute, talking overherself to get the words out. When she mentioned Havich Industries, the final gear clicked into place. He remembered, now.

The Muggle Liaison Office had been in a flurry the last several weeks of vacation and even though it wasn't in his mum's sector, the talk had been everywhere. Havich Industries was lobbying for a branch in London. Eric usually didn't usually pay much mind to a lot of his mum's office talk, but she had mentioned something about Hogwarts, so it had stuck in his head. Now he realized she had been talking about the new Muggle Study professor.

Eric frowned a little as Morrgian let an expression roll off her tongue so smoothly it seemed ingrained in her from an early age. That was unfortunate. Not the mixing of Magic and Muggle, he obvously approved of that, given his family, but the fact that she seemed so connected to the family business at such an early age. His parents had never pressured him to follow either of their footsteps, and even affirmed that he was taking his time to choose what he wanted to do in life. He couldn't imagen having that much affinity for something.

"That's... quality," Eric eased out, nodding. He stuffed his hands in the pockets of his robes. "How you getting on, thus far?"

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:25 pm

She could tell she'd made him uncomfortable somehow. Was it the amount of siblings? Or was it something about her family's business? Sure the Company was a little shady, but all businesses were in Morrigan's opinion. They had to be to be successful. It was unfortunate, but it was a facet of life she'd grown up fairly comfortable with. Besides, Mom, Dad, Uncle Aleksander, and Aunt Thorunn had revolutionized their charitable giving department. "Philanthropy is the future of marketing" after all.

Maybe was uncomfortable with melding magic and non-magical things. She'd have to casually put some feelers out to see what his reaction would be. Cute or not, there was no way she'd hang out with someone who was uncomfortable with Muggles.

"I'm getting on all right, I suppose. Thank you for asking! Though I do miss a lot of my old things. Gammla Uppsala didn't have anything in the seidr that interfered with Muggle technology. I miss my phone so much!" she bemoaned. "And I miss music the way I'm used to it. And being able to bother my friends at all hours by texting. It's quite a first world problem to have, but here we are. I mean, Uncle Alek is working on something to get passed magical barriers like this, of course, but we all figured it might be frowned upon."

Morrigan genuinely did miss her phone. She didn't care if that made her seem like some sort of teenage girl stereotype: it was the truth plain and simple.

"So," she asked, not wanting to seem forward, but also needing to ask someone, "Is Hogsmeade any fun? We haven't had an approved weekend yet, so I haven't had the chance to explore. What exactly is there to do around here? Not that I'm not enjoying just talking to people, but I used to go out into Uppsala all the time! And it was so close that my parents could take me out over the weekend to do stuff too. Despite the size of the castle, I'm feeling rather cooped up!"

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 am

Eric was getting what his mum referred to as "Muggle sick." The more Morrgian talked about what she missed, the more he wished he was back in his room listening to his MP3 player and carting to his friends overseas. The Muggle sickness was always worse during the first and last month of school. To distract himself, he jumped on her question about Hogsmeade.

"It's pretty neat," he told her, running his fingers through his short, wavy hair. He had wanted to get it cut really short on the sides, but his Mum had told him he would look like a hulagan and vetoed the style, much to his disappoint. "It's kind of like those cute little Amish towns where everything is home made and looks like a post card. You'll get sick of it by the end of the year, but it's a place to go."

Eric rolled his shoulder to get some of the stiffness out of his body. "You wanna go on a walk somewhere?" There was still a bit of time left to his study block, and his next class wasn't that important. Most of the time the Professor was late, anyway. "Good day to be around the lake, yeah?"

He started unbuttoning his uniform shirt again. Morrgian was interesting. He was sure she would mind the pop of color. She'd just have to keep a leash on her jealousy.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:45 am

Well, if he knew about the Amish he must have more than a passing knowledge of Muggles, she thought. She'd seen one of the quaint shops of that people before when she was visiting the States with her father. It had been cute--not a place she wanted to spend all her time in though. If Hogsmeade was a great deal like that, she could already feel herself going absolutely stir crazy.

"You're probably right," she commented. "Uppsala was largely historical but it also had a great deal of modern amenities at least. Ugh, I can feel boredom seeping into my bones. Clearly, I'll have to find some sort of trouble to get into," she grinned.

She paused and pushed down a blush at his invitation. She genuinely didn't get invited on walks with boys often. After all her sisters were so pretty and older than her. Surely Eric would think the same thing once he met them. But it couldn't hurt to enjoy his company now.

"Sure! Where were you thinking of?" she asked. Her hands threaded behind her back, and she could feel herself swaying a bit. Her siblings and cousin would give her no end of grief if they found out about this. Lyssa and Dahlia would kill her for details. Vesper and Cana would just kill Eric. Well, at least Roman wouldn't care one way or another. And mom would just smile that knowing smile she got and annoy Morrigan to no end. "Today is really my first day out on the grounds. I've been a bit...dramatic about the whole move thing."