Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 am

The sun was warm on her face, as Addi moved along a path toward the lake. Her skin was lightly bronzed from a summer spent chasing her younger brother, Adda, around the back garden and many of the family owned greenhouses. Otherwise she was unchanged by the passing of the holiday, much to her disappointment.

“One of these days,” she mumbled, finishing the thought mentally, “I’ll have a growth spurt.”

As she neared the lake, she stepped off the path and toward a shady spot with a good view. Often she came here when she felt restless or had something on her mind. Lowering herself to lean against the trunk of a tree, she stretched her legs out in front of her, pushing off first one trainer and then the other and stuffing her socks in the shoes and putting them aside. She supposed that many people didn’t like to get their feet dirty, but Addi always felt more at ease in her bare feet. The feel of the cool grass cushioning her soles and the give of the soil beneath her step were soothing.

Pulling an apple from her shoulder bag, she wiggled her toes in the grass and relaxed with a sigh. Crunching absently minded on her snack, her gaze became slightly unfocused as she stared at the expanse of the lake. Her mind wandered and some time later, she became aware that she’d taken out her sketch pad and a pencil. The landscape she’d been admiring had been transferred to the page and while she was satisfied with the likeness, she couldn’t help the prickles that rose up her spine as she really had no memory of completing the sketch. Dropping the book and pencil to her side, her lower lip tucked between her teeth, she stared at them like they might bite.

A snapping tree branch made her nearly jump out of her skin. Turning toward the sound, her heart in her throat, she searched for the cause of the sound and called out, “Hello,” in a tone of voice that sounded a lot braver than she felt at the moment.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Re: Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:53 am

Cana wasn't sure how he felt about his housemates. Or--more honestly--he wasn't sure how they felt about him. He couldn't particularly blame them. He and his cousin Dahlia were comparatively new blood to the house, having unceremoniously arrived with the new Muggle Studies professor a few weeks before start of term. Unfortunately, he knew exactly what quite a few of his housemates thought of his Aunt Jetta. It didn't endear them to each other. But there was time. He felt a few could potentially be warming up to him.

It was all the same to him regardless. While he was, in many ways, happy about the move to a new school, he still missed what few friends he'd had at his old one. While most eschewed him as the weird kid, the friends he did have were very loyal. He appreciated that. Many of the Slytherins, he felt, had the same potential;, but he hadn't had the chance to find out yet. He also wasn't sure how he felt about the ideal form of Slytherin ambition. Though he supposed he was one to talk, so poised to run such a huge empire with his eldest cousins Bjørn and Lyssa.

It had been the lack of camaraderie (besides dear Dahlia, of course) that had sent him out to the grounds to ponder. Pondering amongst people, particularly about the nature of people, tended to make Cana grumpy. Though, honestly, so did many things.

It was part of his charm.

As he came to a nice shady spot by the lake, he stopped. A younger girl was sitting, barefoot and drawing, a few yards ahead of him. She too seemed lost in thought. He didn't recognize her from his own House, so she must have belonged somewhere else. He didn't pay the rivalries much mind outside of Quidditch, personally. It seemed silly to narrow one's pool of potential allies. This one seemed skittish though, he thought, as he accidentally stepped on a twig. She was putting on a brave face though; he could appreciate that.

"Er, hello," he replied awkwardly. He towered over the smaller, younger girl. He'd always been tall for his age; every Havich had, including the women. He hadn't checked closely, but he was fairly sure his Aunt Jetta was taller than most of the men of staff herself. It made him feel self-conscious in a way he couldn't yet put into words.

"I, um--" Confessing to watching her draw made him seem both creepy and heterosexual, and honestly he couldn't stand the thought of making either impression. "Sorry?" he ended lamely.

"I didn't mean to interrupt you. I can leave if you want?" It was the nicest thing and way he could think to say it, and he hoped his decent intentions radiated off him.

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:03 am

Craning her aqua coloured eyes, up and up and up, from her seated position on the ground, Addi faintly wondered if she was seeing her first giant before they came to rest on the face of the lad who’d startled her. Head back at an unnatural and uncomfortable angle, she felt her pulse slowing back into its normal steady pace. Feeling silly, she smiled at her own scaredy cat foolishness and gave the slightest shake of her head.

“No need to be sorry,” she responded, returning to her gaze to the lake and the scenery beyond for a moment before gesturing to it, “I was gathering wool.”

Her eyes skittered back to her sketch pad and she fought down the discomfort the image on the page brought her. She’d never been a terrible artist, by any means, but more and more lately whenever she picked up her pencil she disappeared for hours only to resurface to a completed, almost masterly sketch of whatever had caught her attention and a stiff and sore body from sitting for hours in the same position.

“I didn’t mean to interrupt you. I can leave if you want?”

Blowing out a long breath, she pushed the pad further away and replied with a shaky laugh, “You’re not interrupting, I just finished.”

Turning her eyes back to the tall boy, she suddenly realized that she’d completely forgotten her manners. With a finger wave, she said, “I’m Addiana Cadwalader, but nearly everyone calls me Addi. You’re welcome to join me.”

It occurred to her at that precise moment, like a lightning bolt, that perhaps she should consult her Divination books. Most of the time she thought it was mostly hogwash, but she couldn’t deny that there seemed to occasionally be a legit Diviner. Feeling cold dread spread, she decided to skip her books and head directly to the library before bed. If she couldn’t find what she was looking for there; which was highly unlikely; she’d have to find a moment to pop in and talk to Professor Brewster.

Tucking her legs beneath her, she turned and rummaged in her shoulder bag. Withdrawing a second apple and a plastic baggie filled with cranberry, oatmeal, walnut cookies her Gran had sent her just this morning, she held them up and offered, “I find myself peckish, would you like some?”

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Cana grinned a bit as the girl's head kept going up, trying to naturally figure out where his face was. He figured it was a friendly enough gesture, and she wasn't purposefully making him feel self-conscious about it at least. When he'd visited America with his family on business, lots of Muggles had commented on his presupposed ability at a sport called "basketball." His mother, who had been born and raised there, explained that it was a sport that relied a great deal on height, reach, speed, and agility. While Cana had the first two, he was not exceptionally gifted in the latter, and the idea of playing a sport like that in front of lots of people made his stomach churn. At least most magical sports took place in the air where people couldn't see the expressions on your face.

He was brought back to the present by the girl speaking. She was exceptionally polite, it seemed, which he appreciated. It took a good deal to rattle polite people. She also had a very good eye, he noticed. He would barely see the sketch from his position, but what he could see was impressive.

"I'm Cana. Havich. Cana Havich," he tripped over his words a bit. His accent came through strong on his name. Lots of people had made certain....assumptions about him based on it; almost none of them were that he was Norwegian.

"Nice to meet you." He tried not to lilt his voice into a question. It would seem rude. He wasn't quite over-invested in manners, but Addi seemed nice. So nice, in fact, that he was certain if he were rude to her, his mother would somehow magically appear from the woods behind them to scold him. "And, erm, that would be lovely."

He quickly folded his body in on himself and thudded into a lotus position beside her. While it certainly looked and sounded dramatic, it was also the quickest way to sit down on the ground for him without looking like a newborn baby giraffe. He'd gotten it off of one of the Muggle wrestling DVDs his Uncle Roman had given him when he was younger. While the performer was much smaller than him in stature, it looked very impressive. Well, it did when he did it. When Cana did it, it just looked...kinda weird. Like most things did with him.

He self-consciously waved off the offer of granola. It was nice of her, but he wasn't a fan.

"No, thank you, um...actually," he cut himself off and reached into his bag. His mom had sent him several Muggle glass containers by parcel today that his father had charmed with a freshness charm and a perpetual warmth charm. He vaguely gestured with it, as if that could explain his refusal. "My, um, my mom sent it." He blushed slightly at the admission, his hair falling over his face. He hated whoever decided that teenage guys had to think their mom was uncool. His mom was awesome.

Snapping open the green latches on the box, he smiled a bit as the smell hit him.

"Would you like some of this?" he asked, trying his best to return her politeness. "It's...um, it's pakora--I mean...it's fried vegetables. my mom makes them a lot. I think this is mostly onion and cauliflower, but there's some other stuff in here too. But if you're going for healthier, fried probably isn't the way to go, I guess...."

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 am

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” Addi returned. She pondered for a moment if she should stick out her hand for a handshake, but thought better of it. At home, that gesture would be safe, here at Hogwarts it seemed the odds weren’t always in her favour. She smiled when he accepted her invitation to join her. It wasn’t often that she met new older students; at least, she was fairly certain he was new. She couldn’t recall having seen him around the school before. Of course, with the four different houses, it was nearly impossible to remember everyone. A frown flitted over her features for a brief moment, before she decided for certain Cana didn’t play Quidditch.

Watching Cana settle his tall frame on the ground, Addi was amazed at the sheer length of his legs. They seem to go on forever. Blowing out a sigh, she muttered, “If you ever want to give away a bit of those legs, I’d be happy to take them.”

Cramming a cookie into her mouth, lest she blurt something else stupid, Addi chewed slowly and thoughtfully, trying to plan a few conversational options and avoid sounding like a dullard. Often, she wondered if social interactions were difficult just for her or if everyone was thusly affected. It seemed to her that her friends never suffered such awkwardness. Ceci came across quite straightforward and confident. Sada, well…Sada didn’t have a filter and didn’t seem to care what anyone thought, unless you were her friend. Addi supposed it wasn’t a bad way to be, but she always suspected that someday, Ceci and she would end up having to drag Sada out of pub in the throes of a brawl that Sada had started. Maybe if she were lucky, she wouldn’t end up with another black eye or broken nose.

She shrugged as Cana passed on her Gran’s cookies and she watched as Cana pulled a box from his own bag. Curious, she leaned closer and watched as the lid came off and he removed a glass jar from within.

“Would you like some of this? It’s…um, it’s pakora--I mean…it’s fried vegetables. My mom makes them a lot. I think this is mostly onion and cauliflower, but there’s some other stuff in here too. But if you’re going for healthier, fried probably isn’t the way to go, I guess…”

Swallowing the last bite of her cookie, she nodded, “Sure, I’d like to try,” she paused and prayed that her pronunciation was correct, “pakora.”

Not sure if she should just reach into the jar or wait to be offered a piece, she laughed nervously and said, “You’re lucky, my mother doesn’t cook, at all, ever.” Lifting her bag of cookies, one corner of her mouth pulled into a half smile when she continued, “However, my Gran is always sending me home baked goodies. I quickly learned to share them or I’d pay for it come the first Quidditch practices. Not healthy at all, but so difficult to resist.”

Addi greatly appreciated her Gran Edwards sending care packages of cookies, crisps and biscuits; however, if her mother ever found out, she’d likely blow a gasket. Mentally rolling her eyes, Addi could hear the tirade in her mind. Coredelia Edwards-Cadwalader minced no words; she’d already been chastised about her weight. When Addi had looked into a mirror, she just couldn’t see it. She was short for her age, solidly built and deceptively delicate looking. Her outward appearance seemed healthy to her, but she wasn’t a size zero so no doubt that infuriated her mother. She thought she’d be able to avoid most of her mother’s nastiness this past summer because she’d be busy with Meleri, Addi’s two month old sister, but it seemed that Coredelia could always find time be unpleasant, especially in regards to her eldest daughter. Sucking back a sigh, she decided there were a lot of things about her that infuriated Coredelia and that she really needed to start caring less.

“I’m Welsh,” Addi offered, “from Cardiff, though I spend some time in Caerphilly as my mother’s parents own a lovely little farm there.”

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 am

Thank the gods she didn't offer a handshake. Cana was never sure to how to react to those. Did he keep holding until the other person let go? Did he let go first? Should he be offering his hand first since he was the boy? He was completely unsure of things like this, though he was sure his mother had gone over it with him before. He did grin and let out a huff of air at her comment.

"Trust me, if you took an inch off of everyone in the family, no one would notice. I'm not done growing yet, if my father's any indication."

He held out the tray a little as she accepted the pakora. He tried smiling at her explanation that they weren't that healthy. They still looked a might healthier than what he was offering at least. He reached out and popped one of the fried onion blooms in his mouth whole, manners be damned.

"My mom would usually make enough food for everyone in my group back home," he said wistfully. "She was in culinary school before she decided to just settle down and be a mom. Crazy as that job is, being a chef is absolutely insane from what I've heard."

He nodded to himself. Surely that was normal enough conversation, right?

"I'm Norwegian," he replied to Addi. "Well, half Norwegian. My mother is American, but her parents came there from India. But I grew up mostly in Norway. I used to go to the Gammla Uppsala School in Sweden."

"My aunt Thorrun had a farm," he said, searching for a safe topic. "Well, it's more of a hobby farm and ranch sort of thing. They think it's good for my cousins to live there and do some dirty work," he grinned. "Instead of being like a spoiled house cats like me and a my sisters, I guess."

Gods, in all the time he'd been here, Cana hadn't even had time to give much thought to his sisters. He missed them a painful amount. He sighed a bit, and stuffed a bit of fried cauliflower into his face, trying to avoid seeming depressed.

Addiana Cadwalader
Fourth Year

Post by Addiana Cadwalader » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 pm

"Trust me, if you took an inch off of everyone in the family, no one would notice. I'm not done growing yet, if my father's any indication."

A small disbelieving chuff escaped Addi's throat. The men in her family were usually a little taller than average height and solidly built. The Cadwalader women were short and dainty and the Edwards women were leggy and slender. Apparently genetics had decided to really mix things up and give Addi the Cadwalader solid build and height and skip over the Edwards DNA altogether. For all intents and purposes she seemed to be a Cadwalader through and through. Shaking her head she said, "That's wild!"

Cocking her head to peer at Cana, she said with a mischivious smile, "Are you certain you're not part giant?"

She laughed softly, covering her mouth and as soon as she was able, she apologized, "I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, it was very horrid of me."

Popping the pakora into her mouth, her first few chews were slow and thorough while she decided whether she liked it or not. Not onion. Probably cauliflower judging by the texture. It was quite different. She'd never had cauliflower prepared in such a way before. Usually they were picked from the garden, washed, boiled or steamed and served on her Gran's dinner table. Sometimes in butter, but more often than not plain or as an addition in a stew or soup.

Finishing her bite, she smiled and said, "These aren't bad. I wasn't sure what to expect when you said vegetables."

She listened as Cana talked about his mom being a chef. Nodding, she said when he finished, "It's so cool that your mom does that! I like to cook for my brother and I, but I don't know if it would be the career for me. My mom is a socialite. Sometimes I think the only reason she married my father was so she didn't have to find a job and she could go out every night."

"Wow! Norwegian and first generation Indian American... that's quite the heritage. Welsh seems extremely bland in comparison," Addi admitted.

Imagining Cana as a spoiled house cat had Addi laughing and shaking her head. "Farms are hard work. There's always something to do. I quite enjoy spending time at my grandparents, it's very different than home and I like to be busy."

She had been busy nannying Adda for the entire summer and lending a hand in the greenhouses when she was able, which was not nearly as often as she liked. Hopefully, her mother would find an acceptable governess for Adda, but he was an adventurous devil and had already scared off two at the tender age of four. However, Addi wouldn't hold her breath on the idea that she might have the freedom to do what she pleased the following summer.

Hiding her discomfort, she picked up her sketch pad and flipped through the pages until she came to the image she was searching for. It had the horse she rode when she was in Caerphilly and in the background a good distance away were the neat house, a small shed, a garden and a large barn. Turning the pad and passing it in Cana's direction, she quietly stated, "That's probably my favorite spot on Earth... well, so far."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 pm

"Are you certain you're not part giant?"

Cana found himself grinning.

"Well, if you believe the rumors," he shrugged, "my family is apparently descended from the Frost Giant Loki. However, I don't know how much I believe in that sort of thing. The height part would make sense though. And the penchant for either fire or ice spells being our first accidental magic. And don't worry about it. You're hardly the first to say it, and it's certainly not the worst accusation I've faced even recently."

He watched Addi eat, trying not to be creepy about it. Cana was always curious about how newcomers handled Indian food. Pakora, in his opinion, was amazing, but not all that spicy or anything that should cause discomfort.Smiling a bit as she made her judgment, he nodded. He'd hoped she'd really love it, but at least she hadn't spat it out or derided it like some of his old classmates had. One thing he'd found more appealing about the UK: they did have a tendency to enjoy Indian foos more.

"It's so cool that your mom does that! I like to cook for my brother and I, but I don't know if it would be the career for me. My mom is a socialite. Sometimes I think the only reason she married my father was so she didn't have to find a job and she could go out every night."

He snorted a bit. "I know a lot of women like that. A few men too. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but not something I'd choose for myself. Several people accused my mom of that when she decided to stay home with us, but I assure you, my sisters and I were full time work. Unfortunately, it spoiled us for food. With her being such a good chef and my aunt and uncle having fresh food and meat, we're quite snobbish when it comes to thing like that," he flipped his hair a bit, pretending he was putting on airs.

He smiled a bit stiltedly at the comment about his heritage being interesting, but at least it wasn't the word "exotic." He hated that term for people, especially for himself. But she hadn't meant anything by it at least.

"People certainly think it's interesting. It's really quite boring. My mom worked in her father's jewelry shop while going to school. My dad went in with his friend to help him pick a wedding ring out for his own fianceé, and walked out with my mother's phone number instead. And I wouldn't say Welsh is bland. You're language is very complex and sounds quite nice."

Cana smiled at her memories of the farm. He had quite a few too, though he was fairly certain the girl didn't want to hear about animal slaughter or hunting trips for deer meat. Despite doing those though, Cana was very much the spoiled cat in comparison with his cousins, who were expected to do all sorts of chores.

Watching carefully as Addi turned through her sketchbook, he felt his eyebrows raise at the picture. He too the pad delicately, making sure not to wrinkle the pages as she passed it over.

"It's very good. You have a great talent," he said truthfully. "And I can see why you enjoy it. My sisters both have horses, as well. They love them to pieces. What's yours named? My sisters are Scarlett and Sable so they named theirs Ruby and Mink because they think they're hilarious," he grinned.