Father of the Wolf [open]

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Father of the Wolf [open]

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 am

"You know I'm bad at this," Cana muttered, as he knelt beneath a birch tree. "You're probably getting a real kick out of it, in fact. I know I would."

In front of him laid a veritable blanket of red foods. Pomegranate arils in a bowl, strawberries, even a small red velvet cupcake were laid on an altar cloth underneath the shade of the tree branches. The cloth itself was black woven with intricate white designs that were being stained with red. Two wolves arched their backs and intertwined, one devouring the sun and the other devouring the moon. It had been a gift from his grandfather's second wife, who he loved nearly as dearly as his grandmother (his maternal one that was). Cana would have to wash it carefully after this.

"I know I'm not the worshipping type, and I know you aren't the type for worship. I figure that's why we've gotten along so well in the past. But recently...well, you know how things have gone, ancestor," he murmured.

Cana looked down awkwardly and twisted a lock of hair in his fingers. He looked like a chastised child in front of a grandparent, rather than a giant young man, who rarely cared what people thought of him.

"I'm not asking for forgiveness. Or for you to fix everything. That's not how either of us work. But I'm asking for some sort of sign that things will be okay. That I'll get better."

Cana sighed, and sat back on the ground. He fished a bright orange pill bottle out of his pocket, and downed some of its contents. He needed them clearly, if he thought Loki would answer him in a clear and present manner. He reached to his side and grabbed one of the spare strawberries to munch on.

As he lifted it to his mouth, he froze. Turning around slowly, he cringed.

"How long have you been standing there, precisely?"

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Re: Father of the Wolf [open]

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 am

Sebastian had spent most of the week getting familiar with the castle, trying to find his way around, time the directions the stairs turned themselves and how often. He questioned the painting and statues that would talk back. He knew a castle this big would have secret passages. Today, he was tired of being inside and decided it was time to plot the grounds outside.

He knew he couldn't get lost, the grounds here were smaller than those of the Durmstrang Institute. He thought to himself that maybe he should have started with the grounds instead of the castle, then he would have been done sooner. He was warned away from the Whomping Willow, but he figured he'd check it out some other day anyway. He was curious and could always use it as a landmark to start his mental mapping of the grounds.

He made his way around to some birch trees when he spotted a man, no, it looked more like an older student, kneeling by a tree with an alter. He made is way toward the boy, slowly so as not to interrupt. He only heard the end of what the boy was saying, it seemed the boy was out of his element and was trying to figure things out. Then the boy grabbed a strawberry, then stopped.

"How long have you been standing there, precisely?"

Sebastian shook his head and said, "Not long. I just heard the end." He gestured to the altar , "Are you praying to your god?" One could almost hear the lowercase 'g' in god, like Sebastian didn't believe in higher beings. He continued, "I didn't mean to interrupt. I'm just exploring. I can go on my way and leave you to your conversation."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:46 am

Cana could hear the disbelief in his Transfiguration professor's voice, and it made him bristle slightly. Not enough to say anything short to the man, of course. He was doing poorly enough in the class without adding a frustrated, disrespected professor to his list of woes. Of course, to Cana, an Exceeds Expectations was poor, so perhaps he shouldn't complain too awfully much. But if he wasn't the best, what was the point?

He did relax a bit when Professor Navarro said he had only seen the end. While he knew that the professors, at least the older ones, had some idea of why he was here, he really didn't like giving them more ammunition against him to say he was crazy. Given the general attitudes he'd seen of most wizards towards Muggle medicine and mental health in general, he wasn't confident that taking the pills wouldn't be used against him.

"I'm--yes." No point in lying with all the evidence spread out in front of him. "My family worships Loki. He's our ancestor, we think. And Sigyn too, but um...yeah....I didn't this time with her."

"And it's okay," he added, when the professor offered to leave. "I was wrapping up my conversation. I was um...just going to eat the leftovers....Do you want one?" he asked, offering a mixed bowl of strawberries and pomegranate arils.

"He likes sweet things and red food," Cana explained. "He's...he doesn't really like a lot of worship, but he likes to be asked for help."

Cana left off what exactly he was asking for help about. The less dirty laundry the professors had on him the better. If Aunt Jetta hadn't let people know the things he'd done for which he needed saving from--which she likely hadn't--then he wasn't about to volunteer without a fight.

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Sebastian recognized Cana from class and accepted a strawberry with a smile, "Thank you." He bit into the strawberry and hummed appreciatively. He swallowed the bite and nodded, "I'm sorry to sound disbelieving, but I lost my faith some years ago." He leaned on a nearby tree, "I figured a change of scenery would sort things out." He chuckled a little, "Jury is still out on that, but at least I have a whole castle to distract myself with."

Sebastian approached the altar and studied it a bit, "I'm familiar with the name Loki, but I thought he was a trickster god, not interested in helping people." He shook his head slowly, "But I'm not familiar with Sigyn." He finished the strawberry he started before continuing. "I'm not looking for a new religion or anything like that. I'm just curious about...well almost everything. We can never have too much knowledge."

He frowned and shrugged, "I was raised with the god of my parents, but past...situations make me blame him." He chuckled sadly, "Now, I think my parents' god has a sick sense of humor and when I die, I expect to find him laughing." He shook his head, "So, I decided not to believe in him or any god. I'll find out eventually." Cana seemed to want to share his beliefs, so Sebastian shared his disbelief, or that he had a vague reason for his disbelief. He found Cana easy to talk to and didn't care why he was praying. If people behaved like responsible adults, he would treat them like responsible adults.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 am

Cana looked away as the professor took the strawberry. He was way too old to start developing crushes, after all. Sixteen was almost an adult! And he wasn't a child anymore, thank you very much. The professor may have been distractingly handsome and seemingly interested in talking to him, but he certainly wasn't that easy. Certainly.

Totally.

He listened intently as the professor spoke freely, and nodded where appropriate.

"My faith," he finally replied. "Could be decidedly better. My family is very faithful, at least."

Cana nodded at Professor Navarro's discussion of Loki. "Lots of people think of him like that. Sturluson--the mythologist--really liked to Christianize things. Loki likes chaos and discord yes, but that doesn't mean that he won't help people too. Especially his descendants," he added with a slight challenge. "Sigyn is his wife--the goddess of fidelity. She guards him while he's imprisoned awaiting Ragnarok, and she keeps poison from dripping into his eyes and--do you want to know the story, actually? I probably shouldn't assume that," he shrugged, shying a bit away from the older man. He noticed his Norwegian accent was getting thicker the more he talked about Loki, and he was somewhat self-conscious about it.

"I know a lot of people who left their former gods," Cana continued. "My mom believes in Loki now, but she used to believe in the same version of god as her parents. Her father is a Muslin--not a very good one," Cana rolled his eyes. "But he claims it. Grandmother used to be Muslim, as well, but I think she's more agnostic now. She doesn't wear the hijab anymore--that's urm..." he gestured around his hair, "the scarf. The head scarf."

"And I expect Loki will laugh when I die too," he smiled, the first genuine smile he'd had for awhile. "But hopefully because he is glad of me. I will join his daughter or his blood brother depending upon how I die. It will work well for me either way," he shrugged. "Death is not something I fear to find out about. After all, if I am wrong, and there is nothing? I will not be aware of it at all. And if it is another god, they will get an earful. My gods at least never claimed to be just or good. What kind of god would claim that and then leave the world as it is now?"

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 am

Sebastian nodded as he listened to Cana talk about Loki and Sigyn. And go on about his mother and grandmother. He frowned a bit, "See, there are so many religions out there, so many gods. Who's to say who's right?" He shrugged, "Everybody is free to believe and worship as they please. I lost my faith a long time ago, and just go through the motions for the sake of my very devout family."

He sighed, almost sadly, "My parents' religion makes no sense to me, stating free will, then telling you what you can and can't do. It just makes me happy, for now, to just give it all up. I understand that Professor Randolph believes the 'myths' he teaches are reality. And why not? Most of the mythical creatures in Muggle stories, as we all know, are alive and real."

Sebastian chuckled, "But, isn't religion one of the taboo subjects people don't talk about for fear of starting an argument?" He gestured to the altar, "By the way, are you allowed to do this on school grounds?" He smiled, "Though, I do hope your god give you the answers you need." Need and want were two different things, and Sebastian wasn't sure exactly what Cana was asking for.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Cana shrugged.

"I'm not arrogant enough to necessarily think I'm definitely right. It's more about tradition and connecting with my family. I mean, I think he's real, but I also acknowledge I could 100% be wrong."

He cautiously ventured forward with what the professor was saying. "I think that just going through the motions sounds...very tiring. It's good that you're willing to do that for the people you love though, I think."

"Free will is a huge thing for us," he continued. "Loki highly supports free will, and not being a hypocrite either. I like that. And I mean, it's as you say, so many of the legends the Muggles believe are true to us...who's the say the others aren't true to a degree? I mean, we know giants exist. Why not a type of giant with magic like Frost Giants? Or wizards that through their actions became more than mortal?" Cana shrugged again, looking up through his hair. "I just think it's interesting to think about."

He grinned a bit when Professor Navarro mentions religious talk being taboo.

"I'm no stranger to doing things people disapprove of. And it's my opinion that if you can't or won't defend your beliefs in an argument, then you shouldn't have them. You have to stand for something."

His face did drop for a second though, and he quickly hid his panicked look with an awkward smile.

"Um, I'm going to be honest...I didn't entirely ask if I could do this? But I mean," he gestured a bit helplessly, "I didn't hurt anything? Or do anything technically wrong? I mean...I won't get in trouble for this will I?"

He quickly stilled though at the professor's following words.

"Thank you....it's...not absolution or anything. Our faith doesn't really do that. It's more for reassurance." He didn't go into detail about what he needed either absolution or reassurance for. He was sure the professor either knew or would soon learn from another one.

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:40 am

Sebastian sigh deeply, and said with great frustration, "It is so very tiring, going through the motions. Tiring to the soul, and tiring for the mind. And it was starting to get tiring to the body." He shook his head, "I love my family very much, but our community is so tight knit, and closed, I was starting to think the favorite past-time after food, was gossip." Sebastian sighed again, "I never noticed until I came home from school and realized I was the subject of gossip, except nobody told me why. The why is what made me lose my faith."

"When my best friend asked me to come to the U.K. with him, I jumped at the chance. I was so tired of being tired all the time. At least it would be easier to just tell my family, from afar, that I was still keeping the faith. Then I ended up here, a bit farther from home." Sebastian grinned, "And you're right, you do have to stand for something. At the moment, I'm in between. Nothing or nobody to stand for or defend." He laughed a bit, "I don't have to defend my sisters. My father made sure they were perfectly capable of defending themselves in all things."

Sebastian held up a calming hand just in case Cana thought he was in trouble, "Don't worry, I won't tell anybody unless specifically asked. It does appear to be completely harmless. And if asked why here?" He shrugged, "Why not? It's private enough not to bother anybody or for your to be bothered." Sebastian chuckled, "Unless some curious person happens to be exploring."

The professor nodded sadly, "Reassurance would be a good thing."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Cana nodded at Professor Navarro's weariness. He understood, somewhat, he thought. Not necessarily with religion, but with life itself everyday. It was getting very tiresome, going through the motions, being nice to everyone instead of just the people he actually liked, being a "good" student as opposed to an actively engaged one. It was the way he needed to be to keep his head down for the next two years, but already he'd begun to find it loathsome.

"I--I understand the gossip part. You've probably...my Aunt Jetta has probably told everyone why I'm here...or the Ministry itself did. So I definitely understand that much. I'm sorry you've been through it. It's...pretty awful to have people you thought liked you or at least were neutral to you looking at you like you're less than dirt. I deserved it, but I couldn't imagine what it's like to go through it without knowing why. I'm very sorry."

"It's similar for me, I suppose. When Aunt Jetta took the job here, it was supposed to be a new start for me. And it has been. It's just...I feel a lot like you do with religion I think. Going through the motions."

He smiled a bit sadly. "And who says you can't defend your sisters still? My sisters are little hellions at eleven, but I still have their backs until the day we all die."

Cana stood up, slowly and awkwardly--the medication making him slightly dizzy--and reached out a respectful handshake to Professor Navarro.

'Thank you. For not telling. I really appreciate it."

Prof. Sebastian Navarro
Professor

Post by Prof. Sebastian Navarro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 am

Sebastian frowned a little, "To be honest, if it sounded like gossip, or stories about somebody else, I probably stopped listening." He shrugged sheepishly, "I probably just nodded, made appropriate comments and then went on my way." He shook his head, "With four sisters, I was influenced to be interested in the gossip. That was until I was the subject." Sebastian sighed, "These days, I'd rather hear it straight from the horse's mouth, as they say, if it's something I need to know." Sebastian paused for a moment, and asked with genuine interest, "Is it something I need to know?"

He laughed a little, "It'll be hard to defend my sisters from all the way out here. They're in...erm...Italy. I don't think they'd come all the way out here. I'll still defend them even if I have to go all the way back home."

Sebastian watch with concern as Cana stood up slightly unsteadily. He was a bit shocked as he hadn't realized how tall the young man was, just slightly less than half a foot taller than himself. He shook himself out of his mild shock when Cana offered his hand. "You're very welcome." He frowned again and asked gently, "Are you alright?"