The Wallpaper Was Never Yellow {Kyani, Angela, Eric}

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

The Wallpaper Was Never Yellow {Kyani, Angela, Eric}

Post by Cana Havich » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:41 pm

The day was perfectly pleasant. The rain had passed; it was now barely overcast. Just the perfect weather for some time spent outside. Cana was appreciative of that fact. He thrived outdoors. Whether it was for exercise, for hunting, or even for studying, outdoors was where he preferred to be. It was a stark contrast to his family's large and fancy houses. And while he felt at home at every place his family owned, no setting got him quite like being outside...anywhere really. So when the weather decided to clear up, he decided to head outside.

He'd also decided it was time for two of his friends to meet. Cana had unofficially adopted two first year girls: Angela and Kyani. They were both precious and made his big brotherly instincts go into overdrive. Angela was quiet and studious; Kyani was also quite unassuming, at least Cana thought. They would make excellent friends for each other. So he'd invited both of them out for a picnic on the grounds.

It hadn't been hard to prepare. His mom had kept sending him food that he kept charmed with preserving spells. The House Elves had also been very amenable to his more mundane requests for food. So he'd set up quite a good little lunch near the small copse of trees he'd met Trinity at awhile ago. The girls had both confirmed they were coming. All he had to do was wait for them and get set up.

His mom had really outdone herself when he'd told her he was planning on a picnic with friends. She'd been so overjoyed he was getting along with people here, that she didn't even question him about why he was friends with first year girls. He knew it was a bit odd, but he also knew his strong paternal instincts weren't about to be denied by things like appearances. Appearances and tact certainly didn't inform his other relationships after all. The thought made him miss his brother. He shook it off quickly. As much as he loved Kristian, he found himself making better friends here without his brother hanging around. Maybe people were right, and Kristian did bring out the bad in him. But Kristian wasn't really bad, Cana thought. He just didn't have good parents like Cana did. Kristian's mother and step-father were deeply unpleasant people.

Cana began putting out containers. His mom had sent something other than traditional Indian food for once, since this was a picnic. She'd sent some bruschetta bread and a bunch of different things to spread on it, like chutney, avocado mixed with spices, and cream cheese. She's also sent cut fruits like figs, dates, and tomatoes. Daciana had also sent all the good things to make a cheese and meat board. It was rather fancy for a picnic, but Cana didn't expect anything else from his mother. For dessert, she'd made a crepe cake, and somehow his father's magic had kept the thing fresh and intact on the journey over. The was plenty of whipped cream and fresh berries to go with the chocolate cream crepes.

As he finished up, he leaned his large body back and smiled. This was perfect. The girls would love it, and it would be a fantastic day. Nothing, he thought, could interfere with how good this was going to go.

As he looked off in the distance, he saw one of the girls making her way over. He gave a wave--not that there was anyone else around that he could be confused for. He sat up leisurely and stretched, and she approached, he put on his best smile.

"Hey! I'm glad you came!"

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Re: The Wallpaper Was Never Yellow {Kyani, Angela, Eric}

Post by Kyani Taylor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Kyani wasn't un-used to going to social events. In fact, back in her Muggle life, it was a common acurance. She'd never gone boy herself, though, or had to plan her own outfit. Cana had said it was a picnic, but she wasn't exactly sure ifg it was an "eating sandwiches and sitting on rocks" picnic or a "fundraiser to save the national parks" picnic. They were two very different types of dress, and she wasn't sure if she had either.

Of course, her mum had instructed which of her nonuniform clothing Kyani packed, which meant even the one pare of jeans she had with her were designer. The trunk at the foot of the young Slytherin's bed was a colidascope of rich jewel tones broken by silvers, blacks, and whites. There had to be something in there that was suitable.

Eventually, Kyani was able to settle on a light blue baby-doll dress that matched her eyes. The sleeves were a mix of solid and lace, but paired with her black cape and over-the-knee stockings, she though she'd be warm enough. Her boots were tall, hitting her just under her knee. The final touch was a pare of glittering black earrings and a long chain necklace.

There. It was casual, yet classy. Comfortable and still appropriate for a get together. Smiling at herself in the mirror, Kyani forced it to meet her eyes. She was really going to do this. It was really happening. With a calming breath, the girl turned from the mirror, and left her dorm.

It only took a few minutes to navigate to the meeting spot. Okay, it might have taken a bit longer, but she couldn't help her short strides, it came with being roughly the size of a house elf (or so Kyani assumed. She hadn't actually met any yet). Cana was already there, preparing what looked like a feast.

Her stomach twisted slightly looking at all the beautiful, delicious food. She had skipped breakfast so she could put those calories into this meal, but looking at everything, she wondered if it was enough. She'd go light for supper.

When Cana caught her approching and waved, she grinned and waved back. Even though they were in the same house, it felt like they hardly saw each other due to all the school work. She was really happy to get a chance to spend time with him again.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Angela looked at the mirror once more. She had on a simple black skirt and a crisply ironed white shirt. She had not had any special occasion to wear anything besides her Hogwarts uniform and she was not sure what she was supposed to wear when meeting friends, considering she had never had any before. She was sure Cana really wouldn’t mind whatever she wore, but it was still a concerning matter to her. Her chosen outfit though, looked almost like the Hogwarts uniform and in the end, she couldn’t stray far from the familiar. She took a final brush through her hair as she tried to gulp down her anxiety.

She had arrived at the dormitories in the morning to find a letter placed on her bed. Having gone to breakfast incredibly early, she missed any letter giving by the numerous owls. Angela never got any letters from her family so she felt no need to stay at the breakfast table any longer than necessary. She had given quiet hellos to her roommates who passed by her on their own way to the Great Hall, a vast improvement on Angela’s people skills. She was slowly warming up to the presence of others and she did not shriek in surprise at the sight of someone else any longer. The letter was from Cana, a sixth year Slytherin who had befriended Angela and taught her a bit of magic. After their day on the grounds, Angela had gone to her next Transfigurations class with a nervous but excited heart and though she had not been the first in her class to do it, she was definitely one of the students that were successful in turning their matches into silver needles.

And so she had written a simple reply to Cana immediately, stating that she had time free (because really, almost all of the time she was free) and had for once, put away any books that she usually carried around and donned a bag because she felt too light without one. As the weather was getting colder as the days grew shorter, she also put on a thick, black cloak.

Angela quickly made her way to the grounds, and as she neared the meeting place, she froze after a few steps outside. Her eyes darted quickly until she found a large tree nearby with a thick trunk. Although it was more than a few steps away she ran behind it and caught her breath. When she felt her heartbeat slow to a more normal pace, she peered around the trunk.

She had hidden because although she had recognized Cana, there was something, no, someone else. It would have been hard not to recognize Cana, considering his towering height made him easily seen from even afar. But it was the fact that someone else was with him that made Angela hide. Angela hadn’t known someone else would be there today! She frantically tried to recall the contents of the letter she had received but she couldn't remember anything about someone else. She had not been ready to meet new people yet and as her heartbeat accelerated once more, her hands got the jitters and lightly shook. The girl next to Cana was not very tall and from afar, Angela couldn’t tell anything about her except long black hair.

Alas, she couldn’t stay hidden behind the tree forever. Taking a long, deep breath, Angela pried herself away from the tree. She slowly made her steps toward Cana and his company. There were numerous delicacies laid out on the ground. Angela had been hoping that Cana had maybe brought more Indian food because the last time she had eaten with him, the food had been so magnificent and delicious and she had been wanting more but the Hogwarts elves never cooked anything other than English treats. But the food that was now in front of her left her disappointment fade immediately.

However, the food was not the issue here. The issue, was people. Angela was near enough the two to be heard. Her voice shook as she let her presence be known. “Hello.”

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Cana smiled at Kyani and gestured for her to sit down. She was dressed a little fancy for a picnic, but he supposed he was used to his cousins overdressing. Especially Lyssa. He loved her to death, but the girl was extra. She and Kyani might get along well (and Lyssa had strong oldest child nurturing instincts as well).

"I'm glad you found this place! I probably should have drawn a map," he smiled. In truth, he was just really glad she came. He realized that even though she knew he was gay that it could be intimidating for a little girl to come out here with a guy much older and bigger she didn't know well yet. He was glad she did, but part of him was also vaguely horrified and hoped it was just because it was him. Yeah, he told himself, he must have just had one of those faces.

"Someone else it coming by the way. I didn't mention it in my letter, but another first year--a Ravenclaw--might be here as well. I--I thought you two might get along well. And you're both my friends," he explained. He hoped it would be okay. He probably should have mentioned it in his letter, but honestly didn't think so. "And you've probably at least had classes together, so you should be vaguely familiar with each other?"

He looked up as he saw Angela approach and greet them. Gods, she looked so painfully shy. It made Cana's heart hurt. He tried smiling as gently as possible.

"Kyani, this is Angela. Angela, I'd like you to meet Kyani. I thought you two should meet!" he tried not to sound awkward about it. But all his friends back home were mostly friends with each other. So it seemed a logical thing to do, getting them all together to meet.

He gestured for Angela to sit down, as well.

"Um, I hope you both came hungry? My mom went a little overboard with sending me food, and there's no way I can hide this in the dorms forever, even shrunken down." It was true. Even with the preservation spells on it, there was no way to hide food from a bunch of sixteen year old boys for long. Even though he hadn't truly made friends with any of his dorm mates yet, he felt they would soon try to test his hospitality if they found his stashes of food.

As he settled in and continued setting up plates and other accoutrements for the girls, he began to feel very paternal. He figured he'd lean into it.

"How're both of your classes going? Is there anything either of you need any help with?"

While not all of his classes at Hogwarts had been easy, he was more than confident he could aid the girls in any first year issue that they had.

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:20 am

Kyani was just getting settled and fanning her skirt around her legs when Cana mentioned someone else would be joining them. It shouldn't have surprised her--there was enough food for many more people--but it did. It seemed Cana had gotten more friends since they'd gotten a chance to actually talk. A Ravenclaw, no less. She was probably smart and pretty and had tons of friends. Like Cana, apparently. Which was fine. Nice even. It was good for him. She wasn't jealous or anything. Nope. Not one bit. She was happy for him.

Just because he got to go spend his time with whoever he pleased, though, didn't mean she had to be subjected to it. She didn't have to be tricked into playdate with "others her age." She wasn't a child. But... Cana was her friend. And it would be rude to walk out on him. Especially after he went though all the trouble of setting the picnic up.

Kyani had just finished decidding to stay, when she heard the tiniest of voices. The girl was really pretty, but in a "child of the sun" kind of way. That made her relax slightly. Being compared to other girls that looked like her had always put her on edge, but when the girl looked different enough that there was nothing really to compare, it was better. Kyani smiled through the introductions with a soft "nice to make your acquaintance" as she played with and rearanged her skirts.

"This looks wonderful, Cana," she told him, looking at the variety already made her feel full. "Classes are going... well. I enjoy potions a great deal, but I'm not very good at any of the spell-work-wand-stuff." She didn't like admitting to be bad at something, but she trusted Cana, and she was sure that with his shy Angela obvously was, sher wouldn't go blabbing.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:47 am

Angela felt slightly better when she saw Cana smile at her. At least she was at the right place and was welcomed by someone she knew. Cana introduced the two girls to each other. Angela to Kyani, and Kyani to Angela. Angela had never heard the name Kyani before, but she never really paid any attention to the other students in her classes, let alone a student from a different house. But Angela thought she recognized Kyani’s face, but she was not sure.

The girl definitely looked small compared to Cana, even though they both were sitting. She had long black hair and beautiful blue eyes framed by dark lashes. She was one of the prettiest girls Angela had seen at Hogwarts. Angela thought she looked like porcelain doll. It made it even more difficult for Angela to find words to talk to the two others. So she quietly sat down around the food, slightly closer to Cana but facing more towards Kyani. She had yet to say a word after the introductions had been made. What was she supposed talk about with a stranger?

She nibbled at the food Cana had placed. She didn’t know exactly what she was eating and her nerves caused her to automatically eat without caring of the taste of the foods. Had she been concentrating, she would have loved the savory treats around her. Food back home was well made and usually more on the healthy side compared to traditional English foods, and the food at Hogwarts seemed to be full ranged English foods, but the food she had with Cana before and now were all fragrant and spice filled delicacies. But sadly, all was lost to a nervous Angela.

Angela listened politely as Cana asked the two girls about their classes. She wanted to tell him about her success in Transfigurations, but she figured it would be impolite to boast about her accomplishments, no matter how simple they were, in front of someone she had just met. So she was quiet when Kyani explained her preferences in classes.

She was very similar to Angela. Angela too, was not excelling in any ‘spell-work-wand-stuff’ as Kyani had succinctly put. The magic needed for such classes just came so slowly to Angela. But she was doing okay in Potions.

“Me too,” Angela softly whispered, but feeling that maybe she was being too quiet, raised her voice a few notches and added, “I like Potions a lot as well, more than the other classes.”

And she gave a soft smile to the girl. She tried to not show it, but she was a nervous wreck on the inside.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 am

"Spell work is the hardest to get the hang of first, I've found," he assured both girls. "It requires a lot more focus and concentration. I wasn't very good at it then either. You'll both definitely get better at it."

"Potions is still my favorite too, though," he agreed. "Then again, my dad taught me how to brew potions since before I could even go to school--Muggle primary school even. And Mom taught me how to cook, which has a lot of similarities. It's...it's much more matter of fact and on its face. I appreciate that about it. And while you can definitely cause harm with an incorrect potion, you're less likely to hurt yourself and others with a screwed up potion. You can test a potion before you administer it after all; not so much with a charm on someone," he finished with a shrug.

He tried to focus on how both girls were reacting to each other, but other than that they were both incredibly tense, he couldn't get a read on them. He wished he knew how to allay their nervousness. He grinned a bit at both girls, and told them his plan.

"You know if you two are going to be so afraid of embarrassing yourselves, I can fix that. How about I magic up a ukelele and fully embarrass myself first? I totally can't play one, by the way, so we'll all be suffering," he winked. "Or I could sing a Muggle song from a movie about princesses? I would, of course, be the princess in this situation. Obviously. I mean, usually I'm the queen," he joked, "but in this present company I could make an exception."

He hoped his joking helped both girls relax. He desperately wanted them to get along. Even if they didn't automatically become best friends, this tension was almost painful. Poor Angela looked like she might pass out any second.

"How's your cat, Kyani?" he asked, hoping it would cheer the girl up a bit. He'd had terrible luck with the poor thing, but that was hardly her fault. "My sisters have sent me pictures of the dogs, if you want to see them."

He pulled a couple of magical photographs from his back pocket, and unfolded them. In the first picture, two large black Cane Corsos stood in a field, their mouths in panting smiles. While they didn't quite look dignified, they also looked like normal friendly dogs.

In the next photo, which he showed to both girls at once, Freki was barreling towards a door as fast as he could go and then thwacked mightily into the glass side of the open door. As he shook himself off, the shaking in the picture indicated his sister's raucous laughter as she held the camera.

"They're very intelligent boys, as you can see," he grinned. "And don't worry, he was fine. I was surprised he didn't break the glass on the door, if I'm honest."

Kyani Taylor
First Year

Post by Kyani Taylor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:58 am

Kyani was glad that she wasn't the only one struggling. It was a little weight off her. Her whole life, she was supposed to be the best, to be able to ace whatever was put in front of her. When it came to magic, though, she felt like she was drowning. Sure she was fine with the theory of how everything worked, it was almost science-like, but when it came to applacation... Kyani shuttered. She didn't want to think about it.

She gave Angela a little smile. The girl seemed to be in the same boat as her, in many ways, and Kya ni had long learned that throwing people off lifeboats never worked as well as banding together with them.

When Cana offered to sing, Kyani gave him an incredulous look. He was very nice, but she couldn't imagen having to sit though... well, she couldn't think of the last "princess movie" she had seen, but it was bound to give her second-hand embarrisment. She was released when he moved on.

"Thai is doing well," she offered with a smile, before watching the photos of Cana's dogs. She had thought only paintings moved. Which was still a reduculas sentence. "They're so cute!" Sharing a glance with Angela, she asked, "Do you have any pets?" The girl looked like a rabbit that was being prepared soup, she had to do something to loosen her up, and Kyani was pretty sure eleven-year-olds drinking wine spritsers was frowned upon in most parts of the world.

Angela Deville
First Year

Post by Angela Deville » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:25 am

The calming effect Cana had over Angela was amazing, both today and the last time they had been together. Angela had always been nervous with other people, trying to stay in the shadows so as not to cause any trouble. She had been an ideal daughter to her parents in that way, never causing much and staying out of sight except when needed to be paraded at parties. They had hoped that the docile and quiet nature in Angela would allow her to marry well into a pureblood family despite her lack of magical prowess.

But here, with Cana encouraging her talking and Kyani who, at first seemed cautious around Angela, but now shared Angela’s concern over magical abilities, Angela found for the first time, that she liked to participate in conversations. She had always thought she wouldn’t like to talk with others and that was why she stayed away from children her age.

Of course, just because she was starting to like the friendly ambience, did not mean she was entirely off her guard and the shakes were absent. She was still herself, timid and tense Angela Deville.

Angela smiled at Cana’s offering of embarrassing himself. The thought of him dressed as either a princess or queen put a happy expression on Angela’s face, although she was still too cautious around Kyani to laugh out loud.

As Cana asked Kyani about her cat, and Angela listened on, Angela was curious as to how the two had met. She herself had met Cana, purely through chance when a tree had unintentionally made Angela’s presence known and an unanticipated bout of courage had Angela speaking up. Was it a similar situation for Cana and Kyani? Had he too, helped her out when she had been in a sticky situation? Somehow, Angela predicted this was true, considering what she knew about Cana’s personality and his protectiveness over Angela.

And as Angela too looked at the funny picture of Cana’s dog, barging into a glass door (which really was more astonishing to Angela than the dog, as she was only used to old style English doors made of wood) she was asked of her own pets by Kyani.

“I don’t have any pets of my own. At least, not only mine. My family has an owl though,” she replied.

Angela had never had a personal pet and all other pets usually stayed away from her. Her older brother’s snowy owl was used for his own correspondence and so was rarely seen around the house, and the Deville owl was more omnipresent in the household, being an extremely large Eurasian eagle-owl. When Angela was younger, the owl seemed larger than she was, and its sharp orange eyes always seemed to follow Angela’s every movement.

Angela shuddered at the memory of the now very old owl. She was thankful that her parents never sent any letters nor packages. She did not need to see the frightening animal since she arrived at Hogwarts.

“I’m not very good with animals I think,” she added. “I don’t really want to take Care of Magical Creature as an elective either.”

She was already contemplating on which elective she wanted to take during third year. She had thought about taking Arithmancy but after hearing about Professor Delaney being Cana’s aunt, she was also considering Muggle Studies, purely because she was curious about the Professor. However, Angela knew absolutely nothing about muggles and their lifestyle and she was sure she would have trouble understanding the class. She knew Cana’s family dealt with muggles in their business, and that was why Professor Delaney was knowledgeable in the subject.

Eric Brandski
Fifth Year

Post by Eric Brandski » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 am

One could say that Eric was stalking Cana, but one would would creepy. One would be right, but creepy was creepy and Eric liked to lean towards less creative words like "searching for" or "wanting to talk with." After all, Eric was... spending time with Cana's cousin and they had both been invited to a party that was being planned. It was only right that they tried to make a truce.

So when Eric had caught Cana heading out to the lake fro m the window he was daydreaming at, the Gryffindor thought now would be a good time. He hadn't expected the sight that met his eyes, though, when he finally found the Slytherin.

A blanket was spread out, all kinds of tasty things laid on it. Cana sat the the middle what looked to be as girl and a life-sized doll. On closer expection, though, Eric realized that the "doll" was a girl herself. His stomach dropped as he approached the group.

The girls had to be first years, there was no way they were any older, and their demeanor was somewhere between awkward and outright frightened. One was shaking like a leaf. He knew Cana was a bully, but whast had he done to make these girls come out to his twisted tea party and look so terrified?

Clearing his throat, Eric stuffed his hands in the pockets of his lime-green windbreaker. He'd thought it w as the best to go with his orange striped shirt and purple jeans, but looking at the gathered party, he felt underdressed even for not being invited. "Invited" being "force to attend."

"Hey," Eric said, slightly sharper than he intended to, "what's happening?"