Candlelight Can Only Hide So Much {Lyssa}

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Candlelight Can Only Hide So Much {Lyssa}

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Carefully, Trinity spread the blanket out over the spongy, grassy ground. Close enough to the lake that you could see the colors of the setting sun in the water, but far enough that it wouldn't be damp. The basket sat in the middle, filled with all kinds of goodies he got from the kitchen. It was easy for him to slip in and out without the house elves bothering with him. With a muttered spell, the stout candles placed at the corners of the blanket out with a pretty flame.

She wouldn't show up. He knew she wouldn't, but he wanted to try anyway. He wanted to make something perfect, like she was. She deserved perfect. It would be an insult to go for anything less.

Trinity had dressed in the nicest thing he owned. It was just a button down shirt and a pullover jumper, but it was clean and hole free. Most of his wardrobe was supplied by going through the lost-and-found at the end of the year, so it was even a new (for him) outfit. He ran his fingers through his blonde curls to make sure they weren't tangled.

The note he had sent Lyssa had asked for her to meet him as the sun was setting. It was low in the sky now, but not quite there. As it got later, though, Trinity's stomach began to twist and turn. He had no reason to be nervous. She wouldn't be coming. This was a bad idea. Why had he even entertained the thought? He should just pack up and go.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Re: Candlelight Can Only Hide So Much {Lyssa}

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Lyssa had at first been embarrassed by the letter. She had only been here a little while, and already a boy was fixated on her? But the more she asked around and made friends, the more she realized that very few people here had any idea about her family. Especially since she carried her father's name. So it likely wasn't her money that was driving this obsession. She thought for a moment, it might be looks based too. But she'd seen plenty of girls around here her were just as pretty or prettier than her.

Then she thought about when she first met Trinity. He'd seemed so stunned that she was being nice to him. That she'd even acknowledged him! Perhaps this was an infatuation based on her just being nice? And that, Lyssa thought, was fairly sad. But also, she thought, probably the best motivation any guy had had so far for having a crush on her? Which was a different kind of sad in and of itself.

So she'd decided to give this a shot. She'd changed into some of her nicer Muggle clothes that she'd brought, but nothing so fancy that would make him feel self-conscious or get ruined on a picnic. A simple black dress with black shoes would do the job, she thought. She threw on some red lipstick and gold earrings, and soon enough was walking down to the grounds to find where this planned picnic was.

This could be advantageous, she thought, even if he was just another boy after her looks and money. He had a much better lay of the land here, she was sure. Surely he could be helpful in at least knowing who to be friends with and who to avoid. Besides--she hated to admit this--but she was rather lonely. This could be a good distraction at least.

As she finally began her approach on the grounds, she noticed how cute the whole scenario was. A small grin spread on her face. He was a little cute there in his sweater with his candles.

Maybe this could be fun.

"Hi!" she waved a bit. "Sorry if I'm a bit late. I'm still not used to the time the sun sets here. I--I didn't really know if I should bring anything? Normally, I'd bring wine, but I think that might be frowned upon a bit here. I don't want my mother to find out I got in trouble after all," she shrugged. "Even though, she's done far worse at my age," she mumbled.

She settled down across from him, delicately folding her dress so as to be ladylike.

"Anyway...thank you for inviting me out here! It's lovely!" she gestured to the sunset and the picnic he'd laid out. "And again, I'm sorry for how our first meeting went. I swear I'm usually not so clumsy!"

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:18 am

Trinity thought that Lyssa sounded like a princess when she talked. Of course, he had never heard a real princess talk. They might not have sounded remotely similar, but he was sure he would prefer Lyssa's voice over any real princess. She was like a queen.

Clearing his throat, the boy said, "Yew jus' needed he bring yewself, is all. An' yew did." He didn't want to admit to her that he hadn't expected her to show up, but Trinity was sure that the pleased grin on his face gave it away. Whatever. He was too happy to care. She even remembered meeting him! It was like a balloon of joy expanding in his chest. Had he ever been this happy? He couldn't remember.

"Yew look be'tiful," Trinity told Lyssa as she got herself situated. He pulled a few bottles of sparkling apple cider out of the basket and handed one to her. "Ah did't know whot yew liked, so Ah got the lot." Out of the basket appeared biscuits, cakes, pies, pudding, and all kinds of other goodies. "'Ave yew been... enjoying yewself?"

How anyone could enjoy themselves at Hogwarts, he had no idea. He pitied the lot of them, being forced to come here. It was like some kind of punishment. Wicked and cruel. He hated that Lyssa was being subjected to it.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 am

Lyssa couldn't help but smile. Trinity's accent was more than a bit difficult to understand. After all her main frame of reference for English was her father's Boston accent. But she was getting better at deciphering it, and what he said was very sweet. He seemed rather shy around her, another contrast to the bluster and bravado of boys who generally asked her out.

Her eyes widened a bit at all the food. His explanation was sound though, so she supposed she couldn't blame him for going overboard. She wondered if this wasn't just a first date, but his first date in general. If so, he was doing quite well. She twisted a bit of hair behind her ear, and considered his question.

She decided to go for honestly. She had knocked the wind out of him in more ways than one after all.

"Well," she started hesitantly. "It's...okay? I...haven't made a lot of friends. It's very different here than at home. Nobody knows me. Which isn't bad necessarily? Like I had a lot of friends at home but a lot of people didn't like me either. Here it just seems...I don't know. Everyone already is so comfortable with each other. Asides from one of my dormmates and my siblings and my cousin Cana, you're really the only person who's tried to talk to me and be friendly."

"I like the castle itself though," she continued on a more hopeful note. "It's very different from Gammla Uppsala. Makes me feel like I'm living in a fairytale. As a background character admittedly, but still. The castle is nice."

She took one of the sitting bottles of cider, and opened it. She didn't see any glasses, but that was fine. It wouldn't do too much to give him the impression she was high maintenance. She took a swig, and sighed. Smiling, she directed her attention back on Trinity.

"How about you? You've been here for awhile I assume. What's your impression of Hogwarts?"

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm

It didn't seem right to Trinity that people wouldn't like or want to be friends with Lyssa. He was glad that he didn't know any of their names. If he ever managed to get out of this place, he would end up hunting them down.

And there was no way that Lyssa was a background character in anything she did. She was the star. Always. Beautiful. Kind. Sweet. Smart. Even if Trinity had a year to write down a all the amazing qualities he had seen in Lyssa, the world would run out of paper before he finished.

When she asked him about how he liked the school, Trinity hesatated. He didn't think that telling her her wanted to burn the whole place to the ground was the answer she was looking for, so he just shrugged. "Ah've be'n 'ere most'a me life, can't re'ly leave. Ah'm pr'tty used ta it all by now. Gama-whotev'r sounds loads betta."

He twisted the top off his cider and took a long pull. He wasn't sure if he'd had this long of a conversation with anyone but the Jötunn guy since he was eleven. It was strange, but he didn't mind it much. Especially since it was with Lyssa.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Lyssa was curious about what he meant by "couldn't really leave." With concern, she set down the bottle.

"What do you mean can't really leave? Do you...not go home in the summer?" She felt a swell of anger at the idea that a family would abandon their child at a boarding school for however many years and just...not come back. For all her family's faults, she knew that no matter what any of them did--no matter how terrible--all of them would be loved by everyone. Except grandma. But that was okay, because she was terrible anyway.

No wonder Trinity didn't seem to like Hogwarts that much. If she were abandoned here or at her old school, she'd grow to resent it too!

"Well," she made an executive decision. "If you don't, you'll just have to come home with me during the summer," she shrugged as if it were nothing. "My dad might be a little...not pleased at first, but he'll get over it. There's more than enough room for everyone, and a lot of times, we go to US to visit family, as well, so you'd be able to travel."

"Besides," she said with a grin, "it's not like Dad isn't used to us doing ridiculous things. Not that this is too awfully ridiculous, but. We are descended from Loki after all," she rolled her eyes with a smile. "Mischief runs in the family."

She winced a bit and imagined Trinity probably didn't want to talk much about family. She quickly moved away from the topic.

"Anyway, what are your plans after you're finally away from here? I'm going to be roped into the family business I'm sure. Not terribly exciting."

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:37 pm

"Me folks don' live 'roun' 'ere," Trinity told her. It was better than the truth. That they didn't like him well enough to keep him. That they changed their address after they dropped him off and never looked back.

Trinity eyed Lyssa when she made the offer. Was she teasing him? Or did she really invite him to stay the summer? It had been six years since he'd even stepped foot off Hogwarts grounds. To have this opportunity tangled in front of him... Lyssa might have remembered him enough to come here tonight, but there was no way she would remember inviting him.

"Sure," Trinity said, wanting to live in the my a little longer, "Ah'd loke dat." It would be nice, for a little while, to think that someone would actually want to be around him.

When Lyssa mentioned being a descendant of Loki, though, Trinity's blood went cold. He knew she said something else, he could see her pretty lips moving, but his mind was still reeling.

"Are you his sister or something?" Trinity had been practicing his Norwegian since that meeting with Cana. I knew sometimes his accent was troublesome and didn't want it in the way of asking question. "Cana said he was a Loki-son. Are you...?" He couldn't remember the word for related, so he left the question open.

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Lyssa smiled genuinely at his acceptance. She'd have to endure a good deal of teasing from his siblings, and her father would certainly be displeased at first. She was sure though that once they all heard her reasoning, they'd welcome Trinity with open arms. Her family had it's faults (and boy were there a lot of them), but they were a very loving, affectionate bunch. It was so bad sometimes, it even got misconstrued--she'd been sick when people began saying that Morrigan looked more like Uncle Aleksander than Dad. But she still wouldn't trade the love her family had for anything.

Well.

She might trade some aspects of it. As soon as she got over her shock and delight at Trinity speaking Norwegian, she began to parse what he had actually said.

"Oh no," Lyssa moaned. "He hasn't been bullying you has he? He's not my brother; he's my first cousin. My mom is his dad's younger sister. He's...he's a good guy, but he's very rough around the edges, and he's had a lot happen to him. Not that it excuses anything if he's been mean to you," she said sternly. "I promise, if he has, I'll talk to him about it, and it'll stop. He listens to me. And if not me, he'll listen to Mom."

She nodded firmly. She loved Cana like she loved her own brother. He'd been through so much since he was so little, and she could really sympathize. But it didn't excuse his cruelty, his bullying, his...

Complete lack of subtlety in trying to get what he wanted, she thought with a wicked curl of disgust. She shook that thought from her head quickly. She wasn't her mother. She wasn't her aunt or uncle or cousins. She wasn't. And she couldn't think like she was.

But calling Cana rough around the edges was like saying that cutting off your legs was a weight loss plan. And if Trinity had been a victim of it, she couldn't imagine this continuing to go well, no matter how much she wanted it.

Trinity Peters-Stenhouse 
Sixth Year

Post by Trinity Peters-Stenhouse  » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:26 am

So they were cousins. That made sence. Trinity had read some books on genetics a few years back. Aside from the height and dark hair, Trinity didn't think Cana and Lyssa looked much like each other. Which honestly was one of the reasons he hadn't put together that they were related. He had heard around the school that Lyssa had a bundle of siblings, but he hadn't known she had cousins here as well.

Part of Trinity's chest warmed at the fact that Lyssa was concerned over his well being. He had never had that before. At least, not for a very long time. "Ah'm not bein' bul'ed by 'im," Trinity said with a genuine smile. He put his hand over top Lyssa's just because if felt like the thing to do at the moment. "'Ee 'n Ah are..." did he call them friends? They spent time together outside school. So that had to count? Right? "'Ee 'n Ah get eac'other."

Trinity didn't want to tell her about the potions and magic lessons. It wasn't that he wanted to lie to Lyssa, but if Cana's name brought that kind of reaction, what would happen if Trinity told Lyssa about what they did when they hung out? He didn't want to upset her...

Lyssa Delaney
Seventh Year

Post by Lyssa Delaney » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:56 am

Lyssa sighed in relief.

"That's... that's good to hear. Like I said, he can be great, but he's got a--well. He can be not great at times. I'm so glad to hear you're friends though!"

It surprised her honestly. Cana usually was quicker to form rivalries with other boys than friendships. Stupid posturing, she thought, to hide how much he was hurting inside. But maybe getting away from Gabe and Kristian and Bjørn had been good for Cana. Maybe without them in his life he could strive to be nicer. More normal.

More like her! Who wouldn't want that after all?

She grinned and smiled as he put his hand over hers. She curled her fingers upward a bit to interlock them. It seemed appropriate, especially if he was being a bit more bold now.

"So, what do you like to do around here? I know there doesn't seem like much, but like--what are your favorite classes? And what about that village down there that we apparently get to go to? I've heard so little about it. All I knows is it's...well, quaint," she said trying to keep the disappointed boredom from her voice. What she wouldn't give to live closer to a big city, like Oslo or Stockholm or anywhere else really. "I used to go to the city of Uppsala all the time when I was at Gammla Uppsala. There weren't so many shops that I liked, but there were lots of things to do at least. And sometimes you could even sneak away to Stockholm for the weekend, if you were quiet about it," she smirked quietly. "But you don't really seem to have that here. It must get boring. Not to insult it all, but I don't know if I can do quaint forever, you know?"