Shepherd Meet Shepherd (Dessie)

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Shepherd Meet Shepherd (Dessie)

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 am

The feathers of the Serpent, Garuda and Simurgh, the Ibis and the Hawk, the Phoenix and the Swan, and of every bird that hath flight -these shall fill the mattress and these shall be the feathers of Thine own wings.

Cana glared at the book. It seemed that the more he wanted to try a Potion, the ingredients had to be more rare by necessity. The other feathers were easy enough to get--well-mostly. The Phoenix feather had taken a good deal of coaxing from a wandmaker's son. The Simurgh feather has cost quite a bit of money, but had still been easy enough to find. But no one was willing to sell a Garuda feather to a minor, even one with Cana's reputation, money, and standing.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't so difficult to find. But Garudas only came out during the new moon in certain environments. Even though he was in one of those environments, it was still almost impossible to obtain! First off, it was difficult to sneak out of the castle (or rather, just never return to the castle for dinner). Secondly, it was pitch black, with only wand light to light the way. Thirdly, Garuda were tiny and subtle, which made them even more difficult to find! For not the first time, Cana wished the summoning spell could be used on living creatures. It would make things so much easier.

So here he was, in the Forbidden Forest, doing Forbidden Things.

He had no illusions that this might not go horribly wrong. There were Things with a capital T that lived in this forest, and as physically and magically strong as he was, he knew he was not an adult wizard. Centaurs would likely leave him alone, but other things that went bump were about.

But it was worth the risk.

All of the feathers combined would potentially allow him to dream-walk. And dream communicate. And if there was any potential way he could talk to Gabe again, he was going to take that risk.

He said as soon as his blood ran cold from a twig snapping nearby.

Desdemona Garrotte
Shady Merchant

Re: Shepherd Meet Shepherd (Dessie)

Post by Desdemona Garrotte » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 am

Dessie had a problem and that problem was snakes. Ares, her beautiful handsome somewhat aged owl was nursing a sprained wing, and to save him the stress of hunting she'd done her best to lure the forest's rodents to her little hidden away shack. The issue, of course, was that it was very hard to attract rodents without also attracting things that liked to eat rodents. Ares would generally be fine eating most of those as well, but frankly it was about preference. He seemed to enjoy the rats the most, and she enjoyed him eating things he could gulp down in a bite or two without leaving viscera smeared all over her floor. And Merlin's beard did he like to fling those snakes all over the place while he was eating them. She's had enough of it.

She'd read, somewhere, at some time, that garuda and snakes were enemies. Also, something something new moon, something something deep forests, maybe something about late summer or the beginning of fall. Something like that. Here and now, in any case, whatever the specifics were. She'd checked the last new moon with no luck, and by the time the next one rolled around she probably wouldn't need the things anymore. In any case, she intended to stuff as many of them as she could catch and pose them threateningly in her garden. She didn't know precisely what one was, but she'd know it when she saw it. It was bird-ish.

She thought, for a moment, that she might have misjudges the size of her quarry when she saw the humanoid shape creeping around several meters off. It wasn't until she crept closer that she made out that she was looking at a human. She thought maybe he looked like he heard her approach, but she kept to the darkness for now. "Who are you, lurking about past your bed time?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Cana hid a start at the definitely human voice demanding an explanation for his presence. As his eyes focused in the dark, he saw her. A much smaller woman, older than him, and in...well, not the most presentable shape. She could be dangerous, he thought. Or she could be easily dealt with. The fact that he couldn't be certain gave him pause. Perhaps it was best to play dumb in this situation for a bit to suss out what she knew or could do.

"Just a student," he stated. "I was curious about the forest," he told her half-truthfully.

He had been curious since coming. Anything Cana was forbidden from was a source of tortuous curiosity. It was one reason why his parents so rarely forbade him from doing anything. The only real rule he ever had growing up was "do not use magic or science to experiment on your siblings or mother", and that was generally easy enough to follow. In retrospect, Father should have added "significant other" to the list, but wisdom always came with hindsight.

"It's so cool out here," he continued dumbly. "Do you live out here? With the centaurs and stuff? That must be awesome!"

He hoped the dumb jock veneer he wore helped him in this case. He couldn't quite get a read on this woman yet.

Cana hated things he couldn't get a read on.

Desdemona Garrotte
Shady Merchant

Post by Desdemona Garrotte » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:13 am

Part of Dessie wanted to believe the boy's story - she did like to believe everyone other than herself was dumb as dirt - but she knew it didn't add up. Her mind was sometimes a confused jumble, but she knew not to trust anyone pretending to be trustworthy. Danger sharpened her wits. Innocent children didn't skulk around at night in dangerous forests and then act casual when they were caught. Innocent children were scared, or apologetic... or dead. You needed your wits about you to stay not dead.

"Boy." The word was cutting and heavy with disdain. She stood firm and confident despite being physically smaller than the student - if he even was that. That much seemed likely in the vicinity of the school, but she wasn't assuming anything. "I can smell the lies on you. How clever you think you are. Let's try again, my dear, shall we? Why have you come to this place?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Cana stilled and tilted his head slightly. Then he felt a smirk begin to form. A bit more difficult than previously imagined, but nothing he couldn't handle, he thought. Perhaps a bit more truthfulness was in order, so as to build a sense of trust. Not that he trusted her one bit. But it couldn't hurt.

He straightened up, instantly shedding any appearance of innocence or unawareness. The false light that shone behind his eyes that he kept up for public appearance dulled. He was well over a foot taller than this woman, and he cut quite an imposing figure. Not that it probably mattered to her. Anyone who was out here at night had to be fairly imposing themselves regardless of size.

"I've come to the forest for a potions ingredient. One they don't have in the castle, and one no one has been polite enough to either sell or release into my custody."

He smiled his father's rabid wolf smile.

"May I ask who is asking? And may I ask of you the same explanation? Not that I would tell any of the professors of your presence," he deferred, never taking his eyes off of hers. "But I wasn't lying about one thing. My curiosity often does get the best of me."

Desdemona Garrotte
Shady Merchant

Post by Desdemona Garrotte » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:54 pm

The mention of potions ingredients caught her interest but it was only a brief flicker on her face, lost in the darkness. What did this boy know of potions, so young? What could he be searching for, out hear on the very night she was out in search of something hard to get ahold of herself? Was it a coincidence? Was their something else our here tonight she should be looking for? Or was it the feathers?

"You may not," she answered flatly. She wasn't about to share her identity or anything else about herself with strange children in the dark. He hadn't volunteered much himself, after all. But she respected the attempt to put himself at and advantage. "But I will tell you that I'm here for a similar purpose. Many things with many uses in this forest, and tonight's a fine night to find any number of them. You're not the the only thing that likes to creep around on the darkest nights."

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 pm

A game between strangers then? Cana could certainly do that. In fact, it served to make things infinitely more interesting. He gave a slight inclination of his head to acknowledge her, but his deranged smile didn't leave his face.

"Very well. I can certainly respect that," he put an unusual stress on the word respect. It wasn't quite sarcasm, nor was it quite sincerity. He had a strange relationship with the word that seemed to seep in from the very pronunciation of it. It wasn't that he had respect for no one. Just that his sense of respect was so warped by those he'd given it to, that he didn't truly understand the meaning of the word. Father and Grandfather were singular men after all; they had singular expectations of him.

"Not," he continued. "That I can creep much of anywhere," he gestured to himself. "Just be at the right places at the right times, it seems. May I at least ask what you're looking for? Perhaps we could be of aid to each other."

He let his smile slip for a second, and his true dead-eyed face shown through. It was gone in an instant, as he decided to pursue to course of honesty, as opposed to violence. It wouldn't do to attack someone when he didn't know his chances of winning. He knew he was gifted; he also knew he was only 16. Unlike many, this woman seemed to very much see him as the teenager he was, as opposed to a grown man somehow still going to school. Part of him, he supposed, enjoyed that.

"I'm looking for Garuda feathers," he stated flatly, despite his warped grin. "I need them. I don't particularly feel the need to explain why, though I will share information for information. I understand if you don't wish to do that though. Just have no more expectations of me, since I'm already at the disadvantage."

He shrugged a bit at her, but made no move to leave or turn his back on her. That just wouldn't do.