Break the Walls Down (Agnes)

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Break the Walls Down (Agnes)

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:24 am

Cana had felt Hogwarts was missing a lot. He had enjoyed a good deal of it, of course. It was nice without everyone knowing who he was an what he'd done. But there was still...well.

There were no Muggle equivalency classes for things like writing or mathematics. There were no arts classes. And much to Cana's dismay, there was no real gym! He wasn't as much of a gym rat as some other boys he knew, but he had a lot to maintain. He'd been lifting weight since it was safe for him to do so, and just plain stopping would have been disastrous.

So instead of continuing to use a heavy tree branch, he mailed his dad, asking him to shrink some weights and send them his way. He was currently on the grounds, going through his normal (exhaustive) routine. Several people had stopped and stared, but as usual, he ignored them. It wasn't their business, and to be honest, they'd probably be better off if they were following his lead. British wizards, he'd noticed, were all quite unfit.

Probably because they had no fitness classes.

Muttering under his breath, he continued on with his routine, until he noticed someone approaching with seemingly less curiosity and more intentionality.

Tilting his head, he wondered exactly how this would go.

Agnes Cooper
Sixth Year

Re: Break the Walls Down (Agnes)

Post by Agnes Cooper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 am

Agnes walked out of the castle towards the lake. She'd just gotten out of her first History of Magic class of the term and was in desperate need of blowing off some energy. On the way out, she'd changed out of her school uniform and into her exercise kit. Maybe she'd do sprints with the Womping Willow. She'd also gotten a spell last year from the Transfiguration professor that could turn sticks into dumbbells or barbells but she couldn't control the weight yet so that was far from a sure thing. As she was debating her programme for the day, a glint of metal caught her eye. There was a boy around her age lifting....... was that a barbell? That, she had to investigate.

She approached the student who must have been in her year, but somehow she'd never seen him before. Not wanting to distract him, she simply watched him lift until he acknowledged her presence.

"Hiya!" she said with a small wave, "Wanna work in?"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:48 am

The girl waved at Cana and asked if she could join him. He grinned surprised.

"Sure!" he exclaimed with perhaps a bit too much enthusiasm. Back home, he'd always had people to work out with. But here it was quite lonely.

"Go ahead and grab a weight. Or we could do something else?"

Remembering his manners, he quickly sat down a weight and offered his hand. The girl looked around his age, and was perhaps the most vaguely familiar from a class, but he'd certainly not met her or seen her in any significant way before.

"I'm Cana. Cana Havich. I'm new here. Moved in with my aunt, the new Muggle Studies teacher. I'm from the Gammla Uppsala school originally, over in Sweden."

He tiled his head again. She looked much more in shape than anyone he'd seen here since starting. Perhaps she was a Muggleborn? That would make sense. The Purebloods here were woefully under-fit, and the halfboods like him were too if he were honest.

Yes, there were quite a few things he'd change about Hogwarts were he in charge.

"I can't believe they don't have gym here," he stated a bit hesitantly. He didn't want to offend her in any way about her school, but it truly was ridiculous to him.

Agnes Cooper
Sixth Year

Post by Agnes Cooper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:09 am

The boy smiled warmly at her and seemed really excited to have her join in. She wasn't too surprised - one look at him and she could see he was definitely a body guy. If it was hard for her to go without sports equipment during the school year, it must've been even harder for him. At least she could stay somewhat in shape with cardio and bodyweight exercises. There was no way he could maintain that amount of muscle mass on his own. Maybe by carrying boulders around in the forest but... that stuff was so inefficient, and dangerous!

She was just about to point out that they had never met when he seemed to realize the same thing and introduce himself as Cana Havich, one of the Swedish exchange students. "I think one of your cousins is in my house, Ravenclaw? Kind of quiet, moody guy?" She shook his hand, adding: "Oh, and I'm Ags - it's short for Agnes, but I'm so not an Agnes, don't you think? - Cooper. Honestly I'm surprised your parents are magical, considering you lift! Most wizards and witches take a more practical approach to fitness - if they need to do it in their daily lives, they'll learn, if not they won't! Which is all well and good but....... it doesn't really compare with a good training program does it?"

She paused in her monologue to check out his workout equipment. He seemed to have a pretty nice collection of free weights, in a variety of sizes. How on earth had he gotten them here? Surely he hadn't put them all in his luggage on the train! Or at least had found some way to tip everyone who loaded, unloaded, and carried them up to the castle for all their extra work.

I can't believe they don't have a gym here, he remarked as she was examining the weights and constructing a workout for the day.

"I KNOW," she replied forcefully. "Or at least some wizarding equivalent. Wait, did they have a gym at your old school? That's wicked! Ah, and you're from Sweden, right? I bet you lot had a sauna there too! Or well, if your aunt's the Muggle Studies prof, maybe she hooked you up... Is that how you got these here? But yeah, at Hogwarts it's pretty slim pickings when it comes to just about anything modern. Even my radio, I had to rig up a special enchantment to get it working on campus so I could get the sports reports. But I was lucky enough to find this spell some sportsfan before me worked out for the exact same reason! So I only had to go two months without the rugby - and my friends back home were nice enough to at least write me with the scores."

She talked quickly and with a lightness to her voice that obscured the incredible difficulty packed into those two months. Ripped away from her friends and family and her entire life but she had to do it so there wouldn't be another accident, a worse one. She had to learn how to control her magic. But once she graduated, she'd be stuck with no references or A Levels or even GCSEs so it wouldn't be so simple to just go back. But could she really stay in this new world forever?

"Okay, so what're you working today? I was thinking of doing some legs and lower back stuff but wasn't decided on anything yet! I've got to wrap my brain around actually having weights again!"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Canna laughed a bit and nodded.

"Yeah that sounds like Vesper. At least, if you're thinking of the one around your age. I have a younger cousin too that could match, but he's a second year. Nice to meet you, Ags," he grinned. He was getting a lot better at this people thing, he thought. Though to be fair, he tended to have better relationships with girls than he did with other guys. He didn't know why, as he certainly wasn't attracted to them. Oh, well. One of life's mysteries.

"My mom is a Muggle actually," he explained. "And we focus a lot on fitness in Norway and Sweden. Viking culture and all that. My old school had a gym. And a coach. But you're right, a lot of people here tend to be more practical about it. I'm nothing if not impractical though," he joked. "It's not in the Havich bloodline."

"I'm actually from Norway personally," he explained. "Well, half at least. My mom is Indian-American. Her parents moved over to New York City from Jaipur back in the 80s."

"We totally had a sauna," he grinned, wickedly, remembering exactly how he and Gabe had gotten banned from it. "It was fantastic. But I tended to focus on the gym more," he added, omitting past sins. "And yeah my aunt sort of hooked me up. My dad shrunk the weights and put a feather weight charm on them and sent them by owl mail to her. And that radio sounds awesome. My aunt totally has a secret stash of stuff that functions here. 'For demonstration purposes' she says, but I'll bet you anything she's listening to Muggle music after hours."

"It's cool you keep up with rugby," he replied. "Not much of a fan outside of the aesthetics of it. I'm more of a pro-wrestling guy," he said sheepishly. Not that he wasn't interested in the "aesthetics" of that either, but he also was fascinated by it as an activity. He and Kristian had totally practiced all the moves together, including the dangerous ones, much to their father and respective mothers' chagrin. But he'd managed to perfect a reverse Boston crab, so really who was the real winner? Him, despite at least five broken bones.

"I was things arms and core. I generally do legs every other day. But if you wanna do legs, I can easily switch over. I haven't really started a great routine yet, and I could always use pointers from a new set of eyes!"

Agnes Cooper
Sixth Year

Post by Agnes Cooper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:17 am

"Nice to meet you too," Ags replied. She nodded through Cana's explanation of viking-inspired fitness regimes, "Yeah - I bet at the very least there's a lot of rowing! That's something you can keep up here if you want. There's some boats on the grounds you can take out on the lake, though you have to watch out for the squid!"

She wondered what it'd be like to be going to school in a whole different country. She was still struck by waves of homesickness at times and she'd had six years to get used to being only a few hours from home. It must be a big culture shock but...... some things she couldn't just let go. "Ooooooooooh you've got a bloodline? Get you, Mr. Fancypants! Or is that Lord Fancypants?"

She listened to him talk about his family - which seemed to stretch across the whole world to her. Norway, America, Jaipur. Her family was all about an hour away from each other; she couldn't imagine what it was like to have relatives all over the planet. It seemed kind of exciting but lonely too. She knew how hard leaving home was and to go from India to New York, then all the way to Norway must have been difficult indeed. She wondered what was behind each of her moves.

Cana told her about how his dad had used magic to send him the weights and once again she felt incredibly provincial - the idea of enchanting them to be small and light to go through the mail hadn't even occurred to her. It seemed like no matter how much time she spent here, magic never felt like a part of ordinary life for her. It was something for lessons or to show off or to keep vigilant watch over but never something that was just woven into the ins and outs of everyday living.

When he mentioned wrestling, though, her self-consciousness disappeared. "I can't believe you like pro-wrestling! Hardly anyone here has even heard of that stuff, even the other muggleborns! Don't get me wrong, rugby's my one true love, but man I do enjoy wrestling. Have you managed to see any since coming to Britain? I might be biased, but I really think British wrestling is some of the best in the world! Maybe we should start a grappling league...... I wonder if we could transfigure a tablecloth into a ring apron?"

"But anyway, we can't do any of that without laying a foundation first, right? If you just rush into stuff without any control or discipline, it's only a recipe for disaster, you know? Oh, and, actually, let's do arms today - I have potions tomorrow and don't fancy the climb back up from the dungeons after leg day!"

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 am

"So much rowing," Cana said, and shivered. "No regard for the outdoor temperature either. 'If your ancestors could do, so can you, never mind that half of my ancestors came from one of the hottest countries. I can't say I miss it, but it's nice to know I could keep it up if I wanted to," he commented.

He snickered a bit at the Lord Fancypants title. It was nice to have someone that didn't take him seriously. Kristian certainly never did, never mind Bjørn (who never took anything seriously in his life).

"Not Lord," he said. "Just rich, spoiled brat fancypants, according to everyone who doesn't know me. And a few who do," he shrugged. "Can't really contest it either way. But if anything the whole 'bloodline' is in disgrace since my dad and both his sisters married Muggles. And since grandfather works freely with Muggles. Generally we're just Muggle-loving scum to the people who apparently think they matter."

Cana thought it was unbelievably stupid. Beyond the fact that Muggles like his mom were obviously, well, people, there was also a huge untapped market there for business. Grandfather had seen it and jumped on it in a way other wizards were too cowardly or stupid to do. Cana admired his grandfather more than anyone; sure, he'd used Dark magic to get where he was, but what a place he'd ended up in.

Soon though, he was jumping excitedly on the balls of his feet.

"I've only seen British wrestling on broadcast, but I'd love to go see some of it! You're totally right; Britain's got some of the best talent in the business today. I totally think we should start a grappling ring!" he added excitedly, before becoming slightly wilted. "Do you think anyone would actually...practice with me? I'm careful but like," he gestured vaguely towards the sheer size of himself. He was used to practicing with relatives who were the same size as him. Quite a few of the guys even close to his size at Gammla Uppsala had been either hesitant because of his reputation or sexuality. Here, the sheer size of him though, would probably be the decider.

"Yeah, I live down in the Slytherin dorms, so I echo the sentiment for no leg day right now," he said relieved. "Here, use whatever you want! If you need it spelled lighter or heavier that's absolutely fine. Do what you have to do. What do you generally start out with for reps?"

Agnes Cooper
Sixth Year

Post by Agnes Cooper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Ags and Cana went through a fairly rigorous arms and back routine, sharing their favorite exercises and tips, plotting how to start up their grappling league all the while. At the end of it, both of them were overheated and covered in sweat and feeling slightly guilty about skipping leg day, bro.

"You know, I don't really fancy stomping through the grounds all the way back to the common room stinking to high heaven," Ags remarked, "I'm going to take a quick dip. She started by dipping her feet into the nearby lake. It was icy cold but felt so refreshing after the workout. Soon she was wading in waist deep and dunking her head under the water to wash some of the sweat out of her hair.

Suddenly a bunch of strong, tiny hands were grabbing at her and she realized that wading in wearing her loose workout gear was a huge mistake. She could feel them pulling her out and when they got out past the shelf of shallow sand, probably under. "GAH," she screamed and tried to knock them off of her.

Cana Havich
Sixth Year

Post by Cana Havich » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Cana was exhausted. But it was a good exhausted, not like the kind of exhausted he got after a long walk up the moving stairs of Hogwarts. When Ags suggested they hop into the lake, he readily agreed. After all, there were no draugr or fossegrim in it like back home. What was the worst that could happen?

The water was not nearly as cold as it was back home. In fact, he dared to say it was downright pleasant. While it certainly wasn't as comforting as the now forbidden and far-off saunas of Gammla Uppsala, it had it's own positive qualities. He could truly find himself enjoying this place. He had a work out partner now. It was...nice. Maybe they could even be friends at some point.

Cana was only up to his knees by the time he heard Ags screaming. He stared dumfounded for merely a second, and then leapt into action. His wand was on the shore, so he wasn't quite sure what he was thinking as he ran forward. That had never stopped him in confrontation before though. As he reached her, he looked down into the murky waters and saw...something. Grindylows? He had never seen one outside of a specimen tank before! It was far too cold up North for them to survive and flourish.

Kicking out, he knocked the largest one clear off of her. Undoubtedly, it would have left it's mark already, but at least they weren't poisonous to his knowledge. Grabbing Ags around from under her arms, he pulled her clear out of the water and away from the grindylows. He could feel them scratching and clawing at his bare legs, and he winced with each step back into the shallows. These things were utterly relentless! And short of stomping them to death (which would make a terrible first impression on Ags), he wasn't sure what to do!