Tiny Rescue [OPEN]

This includes the forest, lake, quidditch pitch, and anything else within reasonable walking distance from the school.
Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Re: Tiny Rescue [OPEN]

Post by Dorian Krueger » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Dori meanwhile wasn't terribly concerned with smuggling anything - he was already trying to figure out what to carry them to classes in so he could feed them when he needed. He smiled at the prosper of Morrigan's mom being able to help. "Fomula fer human babes would be fine in a pinch but stuff made fer cats would be best in the long run. I guess I could send a bird to ma sis fer tha' if I need te but they'll need te eat before then." He'd only ever sent owls from school to his sister a few times, and being an animal lover she's loved the idea of a bird of prey just landing in her window to say hello, but the actual giving and getting of mail still weirded them both out.

Dori hesitated and the accepted the jumper from the girl. "Thanks. A'll try te keep mine between the weens and this so it don' get too dirty." He repositioned the squirming babies in the center of his shirt and folded them into it, and then bundled the jumper around the outside. Cradling the kitten-nest in his arms he rolled forward onto his knees and then up onto his feet. "Can someone take a look and make sure ah didnae miss a kitten in there?"

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 am

Morrigna nodded. What Dori was saying made sense mostly. She wasn't sure why her mom might have human formula, but to be honest, it seemed like a thing Jetta would do randomly. Cana, she thought, could make it from potions ingredients without a second thought; but given his history with small animals, that might not be the best idea either. She didn't know the details, but everyone in the family knew that Cana couldn't have anything smaller than a large dog, and even that was a stretch. It...made Morrigan uncomfortable to think about, so she just tended not to.

She watched as the blonde girl seemed to come a bit to her senses and help Dori wrap up the kittens. Oooh, she felt useless here, just gawking and cooing.

"I mean," she mumbled. "There are plenty of cats here at Hogwarts. Do you think one might still have milk after a litter? It's a long shot, I know, and awkward to ask about but still. Or maybe there's a secret stash of cat medicine around? Since there are so many here? I know back home we had a little infirmary for the birds we kept...."

Of course, here wasn't home (at least not yet), so it was very much a long shot. But she was scrambling for ideas at this point with how to possibly help the poor babies before anything bad happened!

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Elwyn was going to tell Zombie-boy not to worry about the jumper, that she could get another any time she wanted. But her brother had warned her saying things like that could be seen as "rude" or "unsavory" or "people think you're bragging, Elwyn, so zip it." It had taken her a long time to learn that no everyone had the kind of money her family had.

"Are they old enough to eat?" Elwyn looked between Freckles and Zombie-boy. They seemed to have a better knowledge of animals then her. She had taken care of a lot of grown thing. Snakes, adult kitties, the moose her brother had brought back when he was a teenager, but she had never even seen kittens as tiny as these. "We can get some stuff. Like..."

Elwyn suddenly sprang to the side and caught a cricket in her hands. "There! Now we just need... seventy-eight more." The real question was how to feed the cricket to the cat without it jumping away. They needed a box...

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 am

"Um." Dori racked his brain for more feeding options. "A nursing cat would be an option. But really any other similar animal I guess." If they brought the babies to the headmaster, though, would he keep them? A selfish part of Dori prefered not to hand them over to someone else. "How quickly can a professor like you're mum pop to somewhere with shops?" It would take too long for students to get anywhere useful, but there were ways adults were allowed to travel that they couldn't.

He shook his head at the blonde's question, frowning a little that she didn't seemed to be following the formula conversation. He wasn't sure what she was doing now. "Naw, nothin' solid for awhile yet. But they gotta be get warm before they eat anyway, tha's more important. Uhm. If we're headed back te the castle maybe ye should put something on? I can give ye the tee shirt I had on, but it's a bit damp and... kitteny." He was sure they were spreading mud all over it in the center of the bundle.

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:15 am

"Ooh, I wish Peaches had had kittens," Morrigan whined. "Not just cause they'd be super cute, but then because she could help two litters!"

She was brought back by Dori's question. "Mom could do it really quickly! She's great in an emergency, and she really does like kittens. I bet she'd be willing to do it in a flash!"

Morrigan couldn't imagine her mother refusing the baby kittens, especially with a whining Morrigan in tow. While her daughter tended towards blatant theatrics to get what she wanted, Jetta's spoiling nature was very much in Morrigan's favor in this case.

She looked up and stared a bit at Elwyn as she had gathered up a cricket.

"I--I don't think that would work. They don't eat insects until they're older, and even then it's not great for them. Peaches at a cricket once and she threw it up pretty badly. And she's a very big cat."

Looking back to Dori, she finally registered that yeah, Elwyn was only in a bra, and it would probably be better for her not to be. Taking off her black cardigan, she handed it over to Elwyn quickly.

"It might be better to wear this," she offered. "Plus you might catch cold if you don't. Or get dress-coded! I'm pretty sure wandering around in a bra could be grounds for some trouble."

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Elwyn felt rather like a warrior in her skirt and sports bra. All she needed was a knife or a gun or a long pointy stick and she would be just like the heroin of a Muggle dystopian novel, like the ones she collected. But black was cool, too. "Thanks," she said, because she thought she ought to.

The cartagan fit her swimmingly. Literally. It looked like she was swimming in it. Elwyn wasn't short, but Morrigan was really, really not short. One could even say she was tall. So Elwyn did. "You're tall," she stated, like she was commenting on the weather. With that out of the way, she turned back to Zombie-boy and the kittens.

"Okay, so we need to go on an explanation. Exposisition. No... a search-y thing to find Freckle's mum and save it kittens. Or another kitty with more kittens." Suddenly, she gasped, "Or a frog we can transfigure into a mama kitty." She didn't know the spell for that probably something like hoc ranam felem or rana cattus . She would try it, but there were no frogs about.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Dori grinned at Morrigan, excited to hear her mother could probably help. Bundle of babies tucked against his bare chest - he'd like to see someone try to dress code him right now, he was on a mission - he began to edge through the brush to the treeline. "Fantastic! They need to get warmer 'fore they eat anyway or it won't go down right. So we'll get 'em te yer mum an' tell 'er wot we need, and then figure out the best way to get them clean and warm."

He only sort of registered what the other girl was say. "That... I... dunno how te dae tha' even." He looked back to Morrigan with a concerned frown and sort of nodded his head sideways at the Ravenclaw. "Maybe we should stop by the hospital wing on the way."

Morrigan Delaney
Third Year

Post by Morrigan Delaney » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 pm

"I--I don't know how to do that either," Morrigan kept glancing sideways at Dori, confused by the blonde girl in general. She murmured a bit at Dori's suggestion; she was not, however, convinced that this wasn't all an act. She'd met girls who were weird back home because they thought it made them special. And this was possibly the case for Elwyn too. Or she really was crazy. In which case, what would the hospital wing do? The girl had been here several years already. Surely people in high up positions were aware?

Morrigan waved them both to follow her and headed up to the castle. As she trudged up the hills, she looked back at Dori to follow her. She wasn't entirely sure that Elwyn wouldn't go chase a frog somewhere. But she had an idea for warming them up at least.

"I'm pretty sure we can make some makeshift hot water bottles to use as a heating pad if we swing by the kitchens! And then we can fill them up with hot water in the bathrooms--or use a warming charm, if you're good at them. I make mine too hot all the time," she cringed. "If they rest on them for awhile, they'll be ready to heat something! And I'm sure Mom can find a solution."

Elwyn Wann
Third Year

Post by Elwyn Wann » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

"You think the infirmary has medicine that could help the kitties?" It was a weird place to stop, but it was worth a shot, Elwyn supposed. With all the animals running around the school, there was bound to be someone who knew how to nurse creatures back to life. They were a bit mundane for the Care of Magical Creatures professor, but there might be a healer who knew a thing or two.

Slinking forward on her hands and knees, Elwyn took a peek at the bundle of kittens. She had once seen a mummified cat in a Muggle museum her brother had taken her to once on her birthday. The kittens looked way too close to that stage for comfort. "What about rice?" Her voice had taken on an almost dream-like quality as she ran her finger up one of the kitten's nose. "If we get a bag of rice from the kitchen, we can warm it for them, and they can't pop it."

It was something her favorite nanny had done for her when she was sick. No one trusted Elwyn with hot water or coals, so bags of rice had been heated and placed into bed with her. It was something she had almost forgotten about until that moment. She was sure, though, that when the kittens got their strength back, they wouldn't want to have their bed leak on them.

Dorian Krueger
Third Year

Post by Dorian Krueger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Following Morrigan towards the castle, he very nearly dismissed what the blonde was saying about rice as nonsense again, but hesitated. "That...is not a half bad idea really. But I can dae a warmin charm on the jumper once we get te yer mum, 'fore we head te the kitchens." He was having trouble imagining the elves even kept rice in bags. Sacks, maybe. Casks. Something terribly outdated but charmed to keep things fresh as contemporary muggle packaging. That seemed to be a wizardy thing. He wasn't sure it would ever really make sense to him.

"Maybe find a box we can tuck it in. And towels will be better fer dryin' em off once we can look for one. And dish soap as well? Tha's one we should ask yer mum about as well. I don' know if there's some spell or potion that gets rid of fleas and thengs, but wee babes like this can't handle the adult med'cine. Bath in dish soap kills em deid though." Dori was rambling a bit, but he was in a world he'd only been introduced to a short number to years ago and outside of a classroom setting he still wasn't clear on what things carried over from what he knew how to do his way.